Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pukkelpop 2009.

Default Re: Pukkelpop 2009.

Primavera is ridiculous. I like too bands. It would be conflicty.

Neil Young · My Bloody Valentine · Sonic Youth · Aphex Twin · Bloc Party · Jarvis Cocker · Yo La Tengo · The Jayhawks · Spiritualized · Michael Nyman · Throwing Muses · Saint Etienne · The Jesus Lizard · Ghostface Killah · The New Year · Phoenix · Shellac · Joe Henry · Art Brut · A Certain Ratio · Liars · Squarepusher · Herman Dune · The Vaselines · Spectrum · Deerhunter · Sunn O))) performing "The Grimmrobe Demos" · Black Lips · The Horrors · Andrew Bird · The Bad Plus · Jay Reatard · Gang Gang Dance · Kimya Dawson · Lightning Bolt · Magnolia Electric Co. · Oneida · Th' Faith Healers · DJ /rupture · Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti · Jason Lytle from Grandaddy · The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart · Dj Yoda · El-P · Simian Mobile Disco · Michael Mayer · Dan Deacon Ensemble · Jeremy Jay · A-Trak · Rhythm & Sound (Mark Ernestus) feat. Tikiman · Jesu · The Mae Shi · Alela Diane · Shearwater · Kitty, Daisy & Lewis · The Drones · Bat For Lashes · The Soft Pack · Damien Jurado · Fucked Up · Chad VanGaalen · The Bats · Tokyo Sex Destruction featuring Gregg Foreman · Crystal Stilts · Reigning Sound · Dälek · Marnie Stern · Dead Meadow · Vivian Girls · Ponytail · Ezra Furman & the Harpoons · Ebony Bones · Wooden Shjips · Zu · Crystal Antlers · The Bug · Bowerbirds · Joe Crepúsculo y Los Destructores · Wavves · The Tallest Man On Earth · Tachenko · Agent Ribbons · Women · Uffie · John Maus · Magik Markers · The Extraordinaires · Stanley Brinks featuring Freschard & Ish Marquez · Angelo Spencer · Karl Blau · Plants & Animals · Extra Life · Mahjongg · Muletrain · Andy Votel · The Secret Society · Carsick Cars · Tim Burgess (The Charlatans) · La Bien Querida · The Intelligence · Sleepy Sun · Maika Makovski · Half Foot Outside · Zombie Zombie · Veracruz · The Right Ons · Los Punsetes · Klaus & Kinski · The Lions Constellation · Duchess Says · Mujeres · Elvira · Lemonade · Girls · The Disciplines · Dj Mehdi · Skatebärd · Extraperlo · King Automatic · Cuzo · Alondra Bentley · PAL · Sedaiós · Declan Allen & Barry Hogan djs (ATP) · Hola A Todo El Mundo · Brian Hunt · Dj Fra · Rosvita · QA'A · Dj Coco · Meneo · Oniric · Marc Piñol · Centella · Bélmez · Juan B · Dj Kosmos · Wio Leokadio · Joan Colomo · El Gremio · 20JazzFunkGreats dj · Chris "The Judge" Arthur dj · Merienda Cena · Gúdar · Daniel Devine (WaKS records) · Dr. Kiko
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I would hope Girls and Women don't conflict.

My Bloody Valentine was just added to Pukkelpop.

The day-by-day splits were also anounced. Thursday is amazing, Friday is almost as awesome and Saturday is god awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I may be able to grab a freebie for the festival, so it's still on my radar. I thought some of the new adds were rather decent. I remember the lineup didn't get that good 'til fairly late on last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    My Bloody Valentine was just added to Pukkelpop.

The day-by-day splits were also anounced. Thursday is amazing, Friday is almost as awesome and Saturday is god awful.
    I agree. I would love to go for Thursday and Friday though.

Wilco, My Bloody Valentine and Faith No More all on the same day?! Awesome.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Ok, I've got to find a way to get to this. The first two days are fantastic and Sat. I'll chill in the dance tent.

I wonder if i could pull something like this off. It would be difficult following Lolla but not impossible. The airfare is the tough part. I can stay at any hostel for next to nothing.

I'm reading that in years past tickets were about 140 Euros and include bus and rail passes as well. Hmm. Now lets look at airfare.

Looks like about $830 bucks arriving the day before the fest and departing the say after, that was very little searching on two sites though so I would hope you could find something in the 600 range at some point. My roommate just got a ticket to Ireland in July for just over $500 round trip.
    Last edited by faxman75; 05-13-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Faith No More & MBV on the same day is sooooo awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Probably cheaper to fly to London and then get the Eurostar to Brussels and then take advantage of the free train travel within Belgium. If you're cool driving, just fly to somewhere within driving distance. We drove all the way from Copenhagen last year.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Hmmm never driven in Europe. London is always expensive to fly into from Phoenix. Dublin always seems to be the cheapest though. I'll have to do more research. i was reading some fly into amsterdam and take trains but others said rotterdam. This isn't likely but i'll keep looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Probably cheaper to fly to London and then get the Eurostar to Brussels and then take advantage of the free train travel within Belgium. If you're cool driving, just fly to somewhere within driving distance. We drove all the way from Copenhagen last year.
    I just learned that rail service from Brussels is free, that's sweet. Is camping included with the ticket as well? And does the free rail service include a ride back to Brussels on Sunday?

This has to happen and all these little perks make it endlessly more attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just learned that rail service from Brussels is free, that's sweet. Is camping included with the ticket as well? And does the free rail service include a ride back to Brussels on Sunday?

This has to happen and all these little perks make it endlessly more attainable.
    The rail pass you get is good for free rail service throughout from what I can tell.

Yes, camping is included. The campsite is just across the road from the festival site. You use your festival ticket as your free return train ticket. You get a code to book your train ticket on the way after you book your festival ticket.

Pukkelpop is awesome and all, but I still on planning on attending Rock en Seine.

A bunch of bands just got added to that today, most notably the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Others include Keane (bleh), Yann Tiersen, Noisettes and... uhhh.... Macy Gray. As well as a bunch of other acts I have never heard of.

After the Pukkelpop add though, I have a feeling MBV might be added to Rock en Seine as well. Friday seems to have a disproportionate amount of big names compared to Saturday and Sunday.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

So someone take me to school on Pukkelpop. What is it like? How does it compare to other festivals? Pros? Cons? Tell me about the stages (especially the dance tent). How late does it run etc. Any and all pro tips would be fantastic as well. Your insight is much appreciated

Talk to MalcolmJamalAwesome.... im pretty sure he went to Pukkelpop 07.

I think a PM to that RAVEtastic mofo is in order. All the good tips on the PP forum are in languages I don't understand :/

Edit: Dance tent 'till 4am
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 05-14-2009 at 11:47 PM.

I went last year . There are 2 dance tents - One with al the dance acts and the other with the DJ's. There are 5 other stages. The chateau is my favourite. It's a circular tent with bleachers round the sides and a standing area in the middle. There is also a cinema tent on site. They screened the Soulwax movie last year amongst other stuff.

They had a chill out zone last year too, serving mint tea and cupcakes. It was good fun.

I am going to DrupalCon Paris September 1 - 4.

I have been looking for something else to do while in Europe. Looks like I can arrive a little early and check out Pukkelpop.

Is anyone else going? Anyone want to meetup in Europe and go to the festival?

How can I purchase my tickets? Will tickets sell out? When will tickets sell out?

Any other events happening in Europe in August or September?
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

Quote Originally Posted by slurpee View Post
    Any other events happening in Europe in August or September?
    There will be festivals on pretty much every weekend in August throughout Europe. Sept is a bit quieter, but (depending on your taste) you might want to check out...

End Of The Road

http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/

or

Bestival

http://www.bestival.net/

End of the Road and Bestival seem to be the same weekend.

Bestival looks way cooler. It seems to be fairly close to Paris.

Thank you for the info.....would be awesome to check out Pukkelpop and Bestival.

Quote Originally Posted by slurpee View Post
    End of the Road and Bestival seem to be the same weekend.
    That's why i put an "or" between them rather than an "and".

Also, most of the people who go to Bestival wear fancy dress. I think it's a space theme this year.

I will be in Paris for a web developer conference called Drupalcon September 1st - 4th.

This gives about 1 week to arrive at Bestival.

Do you recommend a method of getting to Bestival from Paris or places I should check out on the way?

Placebo has been added as the Saturday headliner.

I liked the line up better when Kraftwerk were headlining Saturday.

Huh? Adding Placebo is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Huh? Adding Placebo is always a good thing.
    exactly. Also why haven't placebo played Coachella. or have they, and I just don't see it.

they added Mstrkrft too, way to make it sound worse than it is Josh.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    exactly. Also why haven't placebo played Coachella. or have they, and I just don't see it.
    They were on the outdoor around Crowded House in 07 but I missed them to stake out a great spot for Rage. And apparently--as cliche as it is--they're bigger in Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    they added Mstrkrft too, way to make it sound worse than it is Josh.
    Noticed that. I was hoping for a bigger edm add, oh well.

I went to this festival in 07 (you can read my review of Tool here if so inclined http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=87370)

I posted up at these forums already about some of the pros/cons of Pukkelpop. It is not set up as well as Coachella, so don't expect that. The amount of garbage on the ground is amazing. And the urinals.. well, let's just say Coachella's urinals are like a Piss Paradise compared to Pukkelpop.

That said, I enjoyed the line-up the year I went and found my Euro brothers and sisters very mellow and easy to make friends with. The beer and food was decent too.