Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The Super Official Sasquatch 2009 Meetup Thread!

Default Re: The Super Official Sasquatch 2009 Meetup Thread!

Sorry about the Blair Witch quality of these. Hard to keep the camera completely steady.

Just woke up from an almost 12 hours sleep. More later, but briefly, I am so glad I went to Sasquatch this weekend. I had a blast!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Sasquatch was Fanfuckingtabulous. In short, the people, the music and the venue were phenomenal.

I'm glad I was able to meet up with so many fellow boardies. You guys rawk!!

We saw 16 full sets and 18 partials...I'll have more later, but my favs were NIN (2nd row in front of Trent), YYYs (the best I've seen them), Santigold (full band!!), Street Sweeper (rawked and even covered Paper Planes, which was hilariously good), Gogol (awesome), King Khan (great show) and Janes' (caught the last half hour and it was perfect).
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    03/01 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

Did M83 play Teen Angst and Sitting? Did Grizzly Bear cover "He Hit Me"?
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Lurker

Phew. Well, I didn't find this thread before Sasquatch, but I found it now! What a weekend! My poor POOR swollen liver....

I ran into Karen, Kate and Janelle on Saturday briefly and had another little visit on Monday with Karen and Kate. It was great to see you gals!!!

Hope everyone arrived home safe and sound. I'm putting my exhausted little head on my pillow now. My post-festival depression is setting in and I'm hoping to sleep through most of it.

Just back home, sadly I am checking the board before having a shower.

This weekend was great -- everything I saw on Sunday was excellent (I think I can say that honestly with the caveat that I didn't "see" Jane's... was laying back listening to the set ). Lots of high points on Sat & Mon too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures, I only manage to take like 10 all weekend

A lot more drunk bros than I expected. I nearly had an altercation with one after DeVotchKa, but I think he was just posturing. So I don't think it was really that close to happening.

what was yyys setlist?
    as predicted by nostradamus

Back in cow-town after a 12 hour drive...

Great show! My first Sasquatch. TRYING not to compare it to Coachella...

NIN cleaned up, as usual. Good thing they're going on hiatus because at this point NIN just embarasses the hell out of other acts. Count my friends as unlikely new converts to the church of Trent (Erin thought it rocked, but wishes he "didn't sing about suicide so much"). I got to hear a whole bunch of obscure Fragile tracks, and really didn't miss the LITS setup at all. Trent seemed much more involved without 5 backing players, and was frequently jumping between different instruments.

Jane's was decent, though i'm increasingly wondering what exactly Perry really contributes. They should have played before NIN, not after.

Remarkably impressed by Ben Harper. I wouldn't have watched if my gal-pal wasn't nuts about him. New band has a very plugged-in blues feel that sounded great.

YYYs, Explosions in the Sky, Doves and King Khan were standouts as well.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 05-26-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

I'm having trouble even picking my favorite sets of the weekend. So much of it was good.

who cared to watch the Decemberists?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

I really must know about Grizzly Bear's set. If anybody saw it. TELL ALL!
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Sasquatch was TONS of fun! I loved almost every set I saw.... NINJA!!!! especially Janes! just perfect to me! Gogol were tons of fun, like always.... MONOTONIX!!!!!!!!!!! So great....they totally rocked it out and did their thing. Santigold was very excellent... the full band were excellent...Grizzly Bear....were Grizzly Bear...i have nothing to say about them. Avett Brothers rocked it high energy.... I watched about 4 St. Vincent songs...sloppy as fuck, disappointed. Tons of fun for such a quick weekend, I was really happy I was able to meet up with lots of boardies.....CHIA, where the fuck were you? whats your number... Street Sweeper were so much fun!!! Loved it all.....ill take less MIA next time though.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Paul, I kept looking for you and Josh. I KNOW you were at a lot of the same sets on Sunday and Monday.

- in front of soundboard during Mike Watt sitting down.
    - right in the thick of the action for Gogol...with tall 6ft 5 guy next to me....water going everywhere.....
    - all around the band during Monotonix
    - back of first pit during Grizzly Bear
    - very front middle for NINJA

where were u during those?

did anyone see Aziz Ansari? I hated him in 07...but his set was hilarious! Ra-ra-ra-RANDY....
    Upcoming Shows:

Ah, I didn't see Mike Watt or Gogol, was in the lawn for NINJA and Grizzly Bear. Was fairly close to the stage for the beginning of Monotonix and then moved back further as the band did. I'm sure you saw the guy who was chugging his beer and would not sit down... I was like 2 people to his right.

I KNOW Josh is really tall and was looking for him and figured you'd be nearby. But I'm short and can't see over crowds well. I guess I'll see you guys at Bonnaroo though.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    I really must know about Grizzly Bear's set. If anybody saw it. TELL ALL!
    Honestly I went in completely unfamiliar but was chastised by my buddy for not knowing them, and watched the whole set. They had a big crowd and sounded very good. Will be checking them out more for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Yea, I don't have any specifics to add about Grizzly Bear, I'm not familiar enough to do a proper review, but I will say that I enjoyed the set far more than the recorded material (not saying I don't like their records, I just thought they were really good live). It's weird but they're one of those bands that does not stick in my head well after watching. I saw them a couple of years ago and it was the same thing -- I remember thinking they were good but can't recall specifics about the set.

I saw them at Sasquatch 07, but can barely remember it, it was waiting for Bboys on the wookie stage, so i was just waiting for them to get the fuck off the entire time.... good sounding stuff...just not my thing.
    Upcoming Shows:

SUCH A FUN WEEKEND!!! Im too tired to post all my pictures, but I will get to them for sure. Met up with Tessa and Josh, which is always nice. Awesome time camping, music was perfect.

Bon Iver absolutely destroyed every other act. Was at the gate for them and it was perfect.

Also got second row for M83 and Of Montreal, who were both fantastic as always.

Got a great spot on the second rail in the pit on Monday for Grizzly Bear (phenomenal), Santigold (realllllllllly fun w/ full band), Gogol (crazy fun as always), Fleet Foxes (fantastic again), and silversun pickups (solid).

Explosions raped my mind yet again, even though the crowd was absolutely horrendous.

Girl Talk is the worst DJ in the universe.

Camping was really awesome. Im glad I got premier, because I wandered around in the normal campsite and it was pretty wild. They also were packed in pretty tight, while we were given alot of room. Plus, our neighbors were really awesome!

We were close-ish to the fence bordering with "regular" camping and I'll be damned if those people weren't up all night every night playing shitty music. It amused me a bit, with the amount of complaining done each year by people who camp at Coachella and complain about a few drum circles after 2AM. Sasquatch camping was much, MUCH louder, with no security/regulation that I noticed at all.

I think I can speak for the rest of my group that we didn't think much of Premier though, it was worth the extra $$ to be able to jump line the first day and to be able to camp close to the venue despite arriving at 2AM, but the shower and water situation was shameful. I'll be back to Sasquatch but probably won't camp there again. Enjoyed our neighbors and didn't mind the noise but not even having water to brush teeth was a little brutal

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I think I can speak for the rest of my group that we didn't think much of Premier though, it was worth the extra $$ to be able to jump line the first day and to be able to camp close to the venue despite arriving at 2AM, but the shower and water situation was shameful. I'll be back to Sasquatch but probably won't camp there again. Enjoyed our neighbors and didn't mind the noise but not even having water to brush teeth was a little brutal
    Yeah the shower situation was horrible. I ended up not taking a shower the whole weekend, just washing my hair in the sink haha. Luckily we were in the corner (5), so there wasn't too many people that used the bathroom near us.

If I go again, i would do premier again, based solely on the fact that I liked being able to sleep.

I'm not disagreeing that it was better than being in the main campgrounds, but they did not deliver on the perks they promised for premier.

You were actually pretty close to us - we were somewhere between 5 and 4. It was pretty quiet in that area (except for people constantly playing MGMT ).

I will go again, but I will stay at Wild Horse. There is no comparison between the two. I ran into a lot of people in Premier who said they were only there (in premier) because they didn't get Wild Horse tickets before it sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    Girl Talk is the worst DJ in the universe.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I have to say this is one of the best festivals I have been too (aside from Coachella of course).

I loved the premier camping! They let us have so much space and everyone could bring in as much booze as they wanted. It was nice being able to go to the general camping, experience the chaos, and then run back to the serenty of premier camping.

Everyone around me camping were so awesome! I've never met so many Canadians outside of Canada!

Did anyone else see the couple having sex during the Decemberists and then the girl stood up nude and put her dress on. CRAZY!

And when Santigold called out that guy in the audience and said he was at the Eugene Oregon show. And then she said, "Let's give up for the guy in the purple shirt." I don't know why but my mind immediately ran to the boy in the purple holy fuck shirt thread.

So many bands were so awesome! I got all of the Canadians camping around me to see "Explosions in the Sky" and "Tv on the Radio". They loved them!

One thing I can say is that the first time you walk to the main stage and look out from the top into the gorge and the Columbia river. It is truly awe inspiring. My jaw literally dropped.

More later, I don't want to write a book here.

Edit.

One last thing, it was classic hearing people recount how Montonix's set ruined them for life while riding back on the shuttle.
    Last edited by Ardentbiscuit; 05-26-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Great pics guys

That's too bad about the premier shower situation...I was in regular camping and showered 4 times, 3 of those were hot and I never waited longer than 30 minutes

Regular camping was pretty wild, though it really wasn't all that bad. There were a few combined campsites that had sh!tty music dance parties, but there were a bit away from us. Close by, our neighbors were all Canadians and cool. I didn't have trouble falling asleep, though I didn't ever try to do so before 4am

Alrighty, here's the synopsis (P=partial set F=full set):

Saturday (the day of the couple having sex on the cliff):

-Champagne Champagne (P): Pretty good lyricists, not annoying in that "let's work the crowd way." I'd see them again.
    -The Gaslight Anthem (P): Not too bad, don't really remember all that much of it though.
    -Passion Pit (F): They started hell of (30 minutes) late and wrecked the set times at the Wookie stage for the entire day. The singer's voice is a lot higher in person than on the albums. All that aside, I really liked their set.
    -King Khan and the Shrines (F): King Khan has some serious stage presence. Their show was so much fun, just good ole rock n roll songs about fat chicks and welfare checks.
    -Devotchka (P): We chilled on the lawn for the majority of their set and they did not disappoint.
    -Animal Collective (P): After all the hype I figured that I should see for myself...and I did not like them at all. They were repetitive and I did not like the lead singer's voice.
    -Sun Kil Moon (P): Very very good, even my wife liked it.
    -The Decemberists (F): I'm not familiar with their catalog, but we wanted to get a good spot for the YYYs so we posted up in the first pit at stage right and not only witnessed a solid set, but were treated to a couple literally having sex on the cliff overlooking the main stage. It was a 3 part act; striptease, lapdance and intercourse. A good 10k saw this in progress, half of the venue was turned away from the stage to point out and watch the couple's antics. The Decemberists even got in on the fun and shared a chuckle.
    -YYYs (F): I have seen them for each of their albums and this time was by far my favorite. We were 20 feet from Karen and they just blew us away. Karen was having a blast and you could tell that the band was too. Even the acoustic Maps sing a long was cool.
    -Crystal Castles (F): After all I have heard about their live antics, I believe we got the best possible show out of them. Alice's voice was PIERCING for the first 2 songs, but that didn't ruin their show at all, just my hearing

Sunday (the day of the main stage streaker):

- Viva Voce (P): Stayed for a couple songs, but nothing really struck our fancy.
    - Mike Watt and the Missingmen (P): Not bad, but I spent most of the time meeting boardies
    - SSSC (F): Awesome, sooo much fun. Tom and Boots' individual talents work really well together. They also seemed to be having a blast.
    -Calexico (F): Very good set, I was not disappointed in any way.
    - The Builders and the Butchers (P): Very good, I totally recommend them. They were folksie-indie, but they rocked pretty damn good.
    -The Wrens (P): I had dinner to their music, which was fine, but nothing outstanding.
    -The Murder City Devils (F)(entered the front pit to prestage for NIN): The lead singer has a totally punk rock stage persona. This was the first band that I have seen in a long time to totally offend the vast majority of the crowd, by calling them out and challenging their pre-conceived notions, stereotypes, etc. They were a bit sloppy, but the showmanship made up for that. The campground was totally talking about them after the show.
    -TVOTR (F): They have gotten a lot better since I saw them last in 2006.
    -NIN (F) (2nd row behind several very short girls and directly in front of Trent): The set list was by no means my dream set list, but it doesn't really matter because it was an awesome show. My major complaint is that the main stage doesn't have enough speakers for those who are up close to the stage. Burn was my high light of the evening.
    -Deadmau5 (F): Really good in the beginning, pretty good in the middle and too trancey in the end. Overall, a lot of fun to dance to.
    -Janes': Caught the last half hour and and I was blown away. I don't regret missing their whole set, what we got was perfect.

Monday:

- Deerhoof (F): A lot better than I remember from Radiohead's '06 tour.
    - Black Moth Super Rainbow (F): Really really good, too bad they were so early in the day. Even so they were great.
    - Grizzly Bear (P): They were just okay.
    - Santigold (F): This was my third time seeing her and she was even better with a live band. So much fun to dance to. She even did a song from her days in Stiffed.
    -Gogol Bordello (F): They were everything the board has touted them to be and more. Great energy and a hell of a lot of fun.
    - Monotonix (P): Crazy bunch of guys, a lot of fun though.
    -Fleet Foxes (P): Blah
    - Beach House (P): Pleasant music, though a little too quiet.
    -Girl Talk (P): Double blah
    -Erykah Badu (P): Awesome, she has an amazing voice and her backing band is really good too.
    -Tobacco (P): Very very good analog dance music from two members of Black Moth Super Rainbow.
    -EITS (P): Wow, they were great, but I would like to see them in a more appropriate setting (quieter, seated and indoors).
    - Chromeo (P): Meh

My group and I had an awesome time and we would certainly do it again. Pictures are coming.
    Last edited by fikus222; 05-27-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    03/01 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Devotchka

Monotonix

Calexico

St. Vincent

Rage and Becky

Grizzly Bear

Fikus, his lady and friend and TommyboyUNM

Showing Paul some love.

Tom Morello

Last edited by faxman75; 05-27-2009 at 12:06 AM.

It looks GORGEous.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Thats a great picture of Becky and I Mark haha. What set was that during?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    It looks GORGEous.
    Ba-doom-ching.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.