Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My problems with Coachella....

Default My problems with Coachella....

Hmm, where to start. Came over from the UK especially

First and foremost the organizers moving the goal-posts.

1) Not being allowed to bring your own beer in - our friends was confiscated - lies

2) Not being allowed to bring your own water container in - they said so in the leaflets - again more lies

3) Not being allowed to come and go from the campsite - what the fuck is all this about? easily solved with a weekend or day wristband, I wasn't aware of this and missed Paul Mac due to being freezing cold and not allowed to go back and pick up my jumper. This was the stupidest rule, totally totally brainless.

4) Being Id'ed every 10 minutes - even though we had wristbands - incredibly annoying having to take my passport into the festival area every day

5) Lack of free water - this was bordering on a human rights disaster, charging 2 bucks for a small bottle of water and/or having to buy a 10 dollar coachella one, which you werent allowed to take into the beer garden in the campsite(???). Kids were fainting in the evening from dehydration. Why werent we allowed to bring in our own containers?

6) The Do-lab - that shite monstrosity who drowned out every quiet band on the 2nd stage and some of the tents. It should have been placed in a field on its own, maybe in place of the utterly useless Dome.

7) Clueless 'helpers' - Im sure this has been discussed on these boards. Very annoying.

8) Overpriced shit beer, I mean 7 bucks for a can of Heineken pish. No choice and way overpriced. Why was it so difficult to get a beer? Beer drinkers were treated like lepers, where pot smokers were everywhere, I even had the pleasure of witnessing a 16 year old honking on her crack pipe during the Cure.

Plusses - Music was amazing, BJM, MBV, Fleet Foxes, Jenny Lewis, Zane Lowe etc etc

People were genuinely friendly and I met some lovely lovely people.

The food was of excellent quality and by no means a rip off

Its just a shame that the festival organizers were totally shit, instead of being a 9-10/10 festival I feel that they dragged it down to a 6/10.

Default Re: My problems with Coachella....

I've never yet been to a festival where you were allowed to bring your own beer in.

Every festival I have ever been to (20+) I have been allowed to bring my own beer in

You should probably not come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

If you read the faq you would have known that you CANT bring your own beer, certain water containers are NOT allowed inside, your NOT allowed to come and go from the campsite to the festival(that's why they have lockers inside the festival, bring your stuff for night). Clueless helpers are at every festival, what do you expect hiring a bunch of desert people.....

This is California, we have more cannabis consumers than drinkers I believe.
    Last edited by heyeric; 04-24-2009 at 08:36 AM.

no bus

Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    Every festival I have ever been to (20+) I have been allowed to bring my own beer in
    Thats bull, how would they make money?

please enlighten me on these amazing festivals!
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Pretty much all of this could have been avoided if you read the FAQ, or hell, listened to the people at the gates who were telling you half the shit as you passed by.

BTW, the fuck kind of water containers were you trying to smuggle in? I walked in with 3 unopened and full plastic water bottles in plain sight all 3 days. I had some serious lulz at the "human rights disaster" part though. Are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

40% of GV's revenue is beer

It's not like all of these problems are peculiar to the US. I've been to a load of - notably damper - festivals were water bottles were confiscated, for a variety of reasons, but Coachella's water policy is fairly clearly laid out, from what I can see.

Overpriced beer is a universal festival bane, and like I say, I have never, ever, ever attended or worked at a festival that (openly) allowed you to bring in your own beer. Some security groups might turn a blind eye, but only if they're slacking.

The ID thing sounds annoying alright, but America's known for that. Most of these issues could have been avoided with a bit more homework.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I still think that the FAQ should be like a terms of service agreement or EULA- you have to read it and check that you've read and understood it before you're allowed to post on the board.

4) Being Id'ed every 10 minutes - even though we had wristbands - incredibly annoying having to take my passport into the festival area every day
    What do you look like you're fifteen? I came into the beer gardens 20 years old this year with a wrist band I slapped on with some gum and didn't get IDed once. Infact I've been doing this since I was 18 damn years old.
    >>>>East Bay<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    scoop the eucalyptus infused shit out of a koala's ass and chow down you crocodile dundee special edition blu-ray owning, fosters keg hoarding, didgeridoo fellating, outback steakhouse gift card carrying dingo-dicked puddle of kangaroo piss.

go listen to wolfmother...

Right, festivals where you can take beer to your accomodation, perhaps I should have made that clear, I dont expect you to be able to take it to the main festival sight

ATP, Bestival, End of the Road, Greenman......

They said you could take any water container in, I took a small bottle, which i bought at the general store, and I had to throw it away. And yeah people having to pay either 2 or 10 bucks for water is a verging on a human rights disaster you fuckwad.

As for people who worked on the gates they were fucking clueless. For example on Thursday night when they opened the Dome area, I asked if there was anything going on, the guy on the gate said 'no, there was a misprint on the flyer' Like what the fuck? totally clueless

All they had to do to solve the to and from the camp site (I still dont understand for the life of me why you werent allowed to do this, is this a stupid American rule) was to issue wristbands. Save us being hemmed in the arena where by mid afternoon in the baking heat, shade was at a premium.

Oh and Im 32, not 15, so being id'ed all the time is a bit fucking stupid

They said you could take any water container in,

NO THEY DIDNT!

I took a small bottle, which i bought at the general store, and I had to throw it away. And yeah people having to pay either 2 or 10 bucks for water is a verging on a human rights disaster you fuckwad.

THERE WAS FREE WATER AT 3 LOCATIONS ON THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS UNLIMITED FREE WATER SUPPLY!

As for people who worked on the gates they were fucking clueless. For example on Thursday night when they opened the Dome area, I asked if there was anything going on, the guy on the gate said 'no, there was a misprint on the flyer' Like what the fuck? totally clueless

AGREE

Um... I was able to sneak in 5+ unopened bottles of water every single day. Gatorade too. Hell, the guards didn't once check my fanny pack so there's that too. Weird.

As for the helpers, well, that's everywhere, dude.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

dude, it sounds like you should never go to Coachella again.

also, there was free water at drinking fountains. and you could bring in your own container, there were just certain types that weren't allowed. and i saw lots of people who brought beer/booze in. as for ins-n-outs, i'm surprised you apparently looked into the whole bringing water caontainers thing but didn't see the numerous signs about not being able to leave and come back.

you were IDed every 10 minutes? that's like, over 200 times the whole weekend...dude, that sucks, man.

The freeway looks packed.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

1) Not being allowed to bring your own beer in - our friends was confiscated - lies
    Thanks for putting this first...I didn't have to waste my time reading the rest.

What is the word "lies" referring to in this "sentence"?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

all i know is that if i'm flying out of the country for something, i make damn sure i read up on what the rules are BEFORE i get there so i know what to expect.

and even if you were dying of hydration, there were FREE water refill areas. you could have at worst put your mouth under there or picked up one of the many discarded empty bottles and filled that. if you had found ten of those empty bottles, you could have gotten a FREE bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella is all ages - that should have been a BIG CLUE that you would not be able to bring in your own beer. Anyway, this is America - no place is going to let you bring in your own beer.
    And yes, what are "lies"?

There was all kinds of info pertaining to the water situation. You could have brought your own empty container and refilled it for free, or refilled it with filtered water for a buck. They were also allowing closed water bottles in. The $10 sports bottle is not a rip off at all IMO - same price as 5 bottles of water and you get a souvenir. Oh and there are plenty of ways to sneak in your alcohol, lots of people managed to do so.

Maybe it was a conspiracy against you to get ID'd repeatedly. I have never heard of this happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Hmm, where to start. Came over from the UK especially

First and foremost the organizers moving the goal-posts.

2) Not being allowed to bring your own water container in - they said so in the leaflets - again more lies

3) Not being allowed to come and go from the campsite - what the fuck is all this about? easily solved with a weekend or day wristband, I wasn't aware of this and missed Paul Mac due to being freezing cold and not allowed to go back and pick up my jumper. This was the stupidest rule, totally totally brainless.

5) Lack of free water - this was bordering on a human rights disaster, charging 2 bucks for a small bottle of water and/or having to buy a 10 dollar coachella one, which you werent allowed to take into the beer garden in the campsite(???). Kids were fainting in the evening from dehydration. Why werent we allowed to bring in our own containers?

6) The Do-lab - that shite monstrosity who drowned out every quiet band on the 2nd stage and some of the tents. It should have been placed in a field on its own, maybe in place of the utterly useless Dome.

7) Clueless 'helpers' - Im sure this has been discussed on these boards. Very annoying.

8) Overpriced shit beer, I mean 7 bucks for a can of Heineken pish. No choice and way overpriced. Why was it so difficult to get a beer? Beer drinkers were treated like lepers, where pot smokers were everywhere, I even had the pleasure of witnessing a 16 year old honking on her crack pipe during the Cure.

Plusses - Music was amazing, BJM, MBV, Fleet Foxes, Jenny Lewis, Zane Lowe etc etc

People were genuinely friendly and I met some lovely lovely people.

The food was of excellent quality and by no means a rip off

Its just a shame that the festival organizers were totally shit, instead of being a 9-10/10 festival I feel that they dragged it down to a 6/10.
    You are so spot on. me and some friends came from europe, and wow. Huge disappointment. I enjoyed myself alot, but it's the worst festival I've ever been to, Pukkelpop, Benicassim, Summercase, Electric Picnic, Oxegen are all better. It's a joke.

Oxegen is like The Somme with Kings of Leon playing. It's rough, ugly, and security have a particular and notorius taste for breaking fingers.

No, no, no.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 04-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.

You are right. I hate Oxegen too, but I still prefer it to this opressive piece of crap. All festivals are money making exercises, in Ireland we are used to getting ripped off. That's why smart folk like me go to Pukkelpop in Belgium for way less money and a way better festival. But Coachella took the biscuit for being badly run for all the reasons my friend from the UK posted.

We met heaps of Aussies, East Coasters, pretty much everyone not from LA thought it was a pile of shit rules wise. Concentration camp. Even the organisers we complained to about some rules (the campsite re-entry, my friend was freezing one night and wanted to get a hoody, no can do, WTF?! $$$$$$$$) agreed with us. I feel sorry for you people who haven't been to a good Euro fest, and think this is great. They checked the TISSUES in my POCKET for drugs!!!!!!! Madness. Pity they missed the 4 bottles of water/vodka, even though the guy after me got his bottles SNIFFED! Ridiculous.

Yeah there is a huge difference between European and US festivals. I wish the wristbands come back for Coachella. Nothing better than going back to your own tent mid afternoon to consume some supplies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Coachella is all ages - that should have been a BIG CLUE that you would not be able to bring in your own beer. Anyway, this is America - no place is going to let you bring in your own beer.
    And yes, what are "lies"?

There was all kinds of info pertaining to the water situation. You could have brought your own empty container and refilled it for free, or refilled it with filtered water for a buck. They were also allowing closed water bottles in. The $10 sports bottle is not a rip off at all IMO - same price as 5 bottles of water and you get a souvenir. Oh and there are plenty of ways to sneak in your alcohol, lots of people managed to do so.

Maybe it was a conspiracy against you to get ID'd repeatedly. I have never heard of this happening.

when i walked in they made my friends throw away their empty containers
    and they werent allowing the one dollar per refill either when i went to the water tents

also the refill stations failed at giving cold water

it makes more sense to add ice then water in the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    Yeah there is a huge difference between European and US festivals. I wish the wristbands come back for Coachella. Nothing better than going back to your own tent mid afternoon to consume some supplies.
    they had wristbands so you could go in/out???

god i hope they do that next year.

i think they're going to have a bunch of improvements in different areas next year .. . . . i can just feeeel it.
    Why couldn't Coachella end on 4/20?

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    dmb, re: your sig >> technically, coachella does end on 4/20...most acts will finish up a few mins after midnight.

have a fatty ready for midnight yo.

Quote Originally Posted by D.M.B.4Coachella View Post
    they had wristbands so you could go in/out???
    never...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

I came in here ready to flame this guy, but I'd hate to say it. THe majority of his gripes are well warranted. I definately don't like how GV handled the whole ID thing. It was fucking rediculous, why give out wristbands then if you are going to ID people with them on anyways?!!!! Then the bullshit...OH well let me go get it...OH WAIT! I FUCKING CAN"T CAUSE YOU BASTARDS DONT ALLOW RE-ENTRY, EVEN INTO THE CAMPSITE!!!

BIG FUCKING GRADE: F for that shit....

THE DO LAB WAS obxiously loud, drownded out a lot of the neighboring tents with horrible bass trembles, and not to mention the lack of having to walk 1/4 mile to get free water after spending 10 bucks to get a small plastic bottle.

P.S. DAMN YOU GV for hiring HOTTEST girls to give you free water so that us guys would be feeling like cheapfucks if we didn't tip the gorgeous girls who gave us water. WHICH WAS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE WHOLE IDEA OF PAYING 10 bucks for free tap water...FUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    it's better to live as if there are no "do-overs," so that you won't need one. I thought I'd share this with you, to work in the bits about fear, mistakes, and how precious today's opportunities are.

The water policy was different with each person at coachella. The First day they told us we could take sealed or empty containers in. The next day they told us we could just take empty containers in. The last day they wouldnt let either one in. I think it really depends which person checks you at the gate.