Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 94/9 Independence Jam

Default Re: 94/9 Independence Jam

I'm going with my parents and a bunch of friends. We all love the Black Keys and the YYYs
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Everyone who is coming to this please make sure to call me so we can go out after or something. I am not willing to pay $30 for just the Black Keys so I won't be going.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Corinna, you and I both know there are ZERO good local bands here. The bands booked for this are the same local fucking hipsters that get booked for everything else. Nothing changes here.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

There are good local bands, they just happen to NEVER BE BOOKED. Additionally, 94.9 is a steaming crapfest. The end.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I'll come down to this if you can house me, Ally. Also, they should really book Grand Ole Party, for fuck's sake. That would make this full of win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Zero.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Corinna, you and I both know there are ZERO good local bands here. The bands booked for this are the same local fucking hipsters that get booked for everything else. Nothing changes here.
    little harsh there...PLENTY of good local bands and shows around...just last year i worked a show at the Che with GOP, Soft Pack and Crocodiles...

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    There are good local bands, they just happen to NEVER BE BOOKED. Additionally, 94.9 is a steaming crapfest. The end.
    wow, pretty sure 94/9 is one of the most respected radio stations on the west coast if not the country...

Zero.
    Grand Ole Party is fucking amazing, are you crazy?
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Pretty sure a radio station whose rotation is 90% RATM, Beastie Boys, Sublime, and RHCP is not the most respected radio station anywhere. I only listen because I don't have an aux jack, FM transmitters are balls, and my cd player is broken.

P.S. Brandon I mentioned two good local bands on the previous page. I also believe The Modlins are quite fun if not the most amazing band ever.

and based on that picture on the previous page, does that mean this is a seated venue? Cause that would really make this a lock for me.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

hmmm interesting . . . . I might have to go down to SD for this too.

Color me in for this.

Hawking, don't get me wrong, I fuckin love you... but this post here is easily the biggest load of drivel I have read on the board in days.

You need an education.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

An education? How about playing music locally for the past 8 years? Does that count?

Shit bands.
    Shit venues.
    Shit scene.
    last.fm

Sorry for being a bitch, I just get a little defensive about this... there is just a real wealth of great acts here that I personally find exceptional. And I feel like by saying what you said, perhaps you just haven't been opened up to a lot of great San Diego music that for the most part remains kinda hard to come across. But I'll just venture that's not the case becasue you do seem quite in-the-know.

Of course, I don't know your music taste, and I could see how if you're not into the certain math rock, post-hardcore, post-rock, and garage rock style-bands that this city has a great tendency to produce, that maybe you would indeed be a little disappointed with our city's output.

And yes, are venues are really nothing special. I wouldn't say they're utter complete shit though. The Casbah I imagine to be lovely, but I've never been allowed in. The Che Cafe is fucking awesome as well, but it definitely has its share of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

maybe for metric, but why else would anyone who was at coachella fork over another $30 to see the same set?

weird.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Here is the thing. There have been good bands to come from the area, but I just find them few and far between. They are all either broken up now, or suck. After playing for the past years I have just become jaded. Not all bands are terrible per se, but of the ones that are just ok, none really capture my attention or interest, which means for me, everything is extremely mediocre. It's frustrating to play in that kind of environment. There is no inspiration, and there is no community. It may be different now, but if it is I haven't seen it.

The Casbah is another kind of element that is really mediocre/has been sort of ruined for me. Some of the shittiest shows I have seen in my life have been there, its always way too fucking loud (I know that sounds silly, but seriously, it's absurd and everything ends up sounding like shit, even through ear plugs), and over the past couple years it has become the place to be scene (see what I did there?) more than an actual venue. The only venue I enjoy going to now is the Belly Up. The sound is good, it's intimate, and it's far enough away that the hipsters cant ride their vespas to it.

Maybe I am an over complainer about it, but if you guys had a taste of what it was like before now, you may feel the same way.
    last.fm

Here is the thing. There have been good bands to come from the area, but I just find them few and far between. They are all either broken up now, or suck. After playing for the past years I have just become jaded. Not all bands are terrible per se, but of the ones that are just ok, none really capture my attention or interest, which means for me, everything is extremely mediocre. It's frustrating to play in that kind of environment. There is no inspiration, and there is no community. It may be different now, but if it is I haven't seen it.

The Casbah is another kind of element that is really mediocre/has been sort of ruined for me. Some of the shittiest shows I have seen in my life have been there, its always way too fucking loud (I know that sounds silly, but seriously, it's absurd and everything ends up sounding like shit, even through ear plugs), and over the past couple years it has become the place to be scene (see what I did there?) more than an actual venue. The only venue I enjoy going to now is the Belly Up. The sound is good, it's intimate, and it's far enough away that the hipsters cant ride their vespas to it.

Maybe I am an over complainer about it, but if you guys had a taste of what it was like before now, you may feel the same way.
    I've been going to the Casbah for a long time now, and the sound can be loud sometimes, but not always. Also over the last year I have noticed people do tend to go there to be noticed, more so than seeing the band playing. Overall it does sound like you might be complaning a bit much though, there are enough decent bands out here. Also I agree with Hotcakes, I think it's more that the type of sounds coming out from SD right now aren't to your liking. Also are you going to mogwai next month?

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    maybe for metric, but why else would anyone who was at coachella fork over another $30 to see the same set?

weird.
    Because it's only $30 and I have post-Coachella depression.

I'm in! Are the hours up? I went on the radio's site earlier and didn't look thoroughly. I plan on getting nice and drunk then it's party time. I also plan on buying my ticket Monday as I'm pretty sick of putting my ticket purchases off and then shows selling out. Fuck being broke, I rather go to shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

I was planning on it yeah. And then M83 the week after.

I like the types of music he mentioned, and in fact besides like 2 other board members here feel like I am sometimes all alone in that camp, but I haven't heard anything that I think compares to the bands I was into.
    last.fm

I was planning on it yeah. And then M83 the week after.

I like the types of music he mentioned, and in fact besides like 2 other board members here feel like I am sometimes all alone in that camp, but I haven't heard anything that I think compares to the bands I was into.
    what SD bands do you like? think are horrible? or what bands did you like that are now broken up?

Pinback used to be really great, but have sort of nosedived, and are really really terrible live, or were when I saw them. I liked Rochelle, Rochelle a lot when they were around, and of course No Knife, who I think are the best band to come out of SD. The Modlins are ok but could be better with a lineup change. Swim Party is ok.

I think the bigger bands in SD are all shitty though. Never liked Scarlet Symphony, Dirty Sweet, Lady Dottie, Loius 14th, Convoy, etc. Seemed to be the same thing over and over.
    last.fm

Hey speaking of Mogwai anyone who goes just might see my parents. I know this is a very large treat for you all.

woo i get to meet corinna's rents awesome! btw I heard you saw me and didn't bother to say helllo. pshhh.
    The White Stripes 9/18

I wasn't sure it was you because of the ridiculous glasses and very blonde girlfriend. I did not know you had a hot girlfriend, so blame yourself.

Hey, Corinna, if you go to this show, you can meet my dad since you didn't see him at Coachella this or last year. And my mom too. She's a saint.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'm not going. Like I said, $30 for the Keys is not worth it to me. I did see your dad in '08, though, at Duffy. I have met your mother on numerous occasions but you probably don't want the details.

Rochelle, Rochelle were so badass.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I wasn't sure it was you because of the ridiculous glasses and very blonde girlfriend. I did not know you had a hot girlfriend, so blame yourself.
    summerkid has a girlfriend? i always thought he was gay.

and i will be there with bells on.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!