Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coachella hell for Disabled

Default Re: Coachella hell for Disabled

I'm coming from the UK next year and I've been to many festivals and travelled all over,including Thailand so Coachella wont be any trouble for this wheelchair user as long I have good mates to assist me....

Lurker

This is interesting because I went to Coachella in a wheelchair last year and had a blast. No problems. I too contacted James in advance and all his information was helpful and consistent with what I encountered at the Polo Fields. While the seats for companions were not available until later in the day on Friday, we didn't have an issue with it as my companions just sat next to me on the riser. We saw artists at every stage except the dance tent. The attendants were very good about asking people without a wristband to leave the riser. We did not camp last year, so we parked in the disabled lot next to the entrance. I am going to be camping this year, in the RV area, so HC parking in the camping area is a non-issue. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience. The American with Disabilities Act requires that reasonable accomodations are made to make the venue more accessable, not extraordinary. Attending any event on an open field in a wheelchair will present its challenges (camping, music festivals, etc), but we felt Goldenvoice did an admirable job making it easier for us.

Not being a smart ass here but if Coachella is that big of a pain for you: Go to Bonnaroo. We were parked about 20 feet from the gate and most every stage, not all, had risers. It is very ADA complient. Wakarusa is pretty good to but they have a field that really sucks. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sachea View Post
    This is interesting because I went to Coachella in a wheelchair last year and had a blast. No problems. I too contacted James in advance and all his information was helpful and consistent with what I encountered at the Polo Fields. While the seats for companions were not available until later in the day on Friday, we didn't have an issue with it as my companions just sat next to me on the riser. We saw artists at every stage except the dance tent. The attendants were very good about asking people without a wristband to leave the riser. We did not camp last year, so we parked in the disabled lot next to the entrance. I am going to be camping this year, in the RV area, so HC parking in the camping area is a non-issue. It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience. The American with Disabilities Act requires that reasonable accomodations are made to make the venue more accessable, not extraordinary. Attending any event on an open field in a wheelchair will present its challenges (camping, music festivals, etc), but we felt Goldenvoice did an admirable job making it easier for us.
    it's nice to hear a good experience. I don't think any of the regular board members are ADA eligible (not sure on the terminology or what have you), and I've often wondered myself about the efficacy of their accesibility measures.

I'd also think coachella would be one of the easier festivals for wheelchairs, being completely flat and all. christ, can you imagine trying to hit up the hills at glastonbury in a wheelchair?

I am ADA but I just can't walk more then 50 yards without a break. In 05 I had trouble getting my stuff from the campground back to my car. I was getting ready to just leave my tent and stuff like that and some dudes picked them up, took them all the way to my truck, and just smiled. Coachella is so cool. Pilgrim, fuck I might not make it to Coachella again!!! It all depends on the Roo or Rothbury lineups cr****

nonono! ron, you have to come!

you're camping with me, pete, beverly (brokendoll and suff), my friends amber and scott from san fran, my girlfriend caitie, and whoever else joins us between now and then. car camping! you don't have to carry a thing. I even volunteer to set up your tent, canopy, etc. and we get to have our own beer! and I know they're newer and maybe not totally your thing, but I promise you man, this gorillaz performance is going to be thirty years from now what the premiere of dark side at the hollywood bowl is now. not quite woodstock, but you get the idea.

I can hold my own, but thx for the offer of help. I don't know, Bowie would have got me there. The roo's lineup comes out in a couple of weeks then I will decide for sure. In and out at first made it for sure I was going, but now I am not sure. I do have to admit I have been away from Coachella much too long Besides I still have that red Jimi 45 to give ya.... cr*****

you DO still have that 45!

and come on, man. this is going to be such a good year. if the roo doesn't have gorillaz, you've got to come. it's going to be... legendary isn't even a strong enough word

I agree with JustSteve, the problem is that the people working the parking lot, etc, just get there, are given shirts, and no information. Each year that there is some change in the parking or entrance it's been really difficult. One year we parked, and could not find the entrance, could not find any person working who knew where it was; it took almost an hour to find it. I am not an idiot, there were dozens of people walking around looking lost trying to locate the entrance. I like to get there early, but this is one danger, that it can be hard to find the entrance, even the entrance to the parking lot.. they don't always have the signs up yet. I can imagine what this might be like to someone who is disabled.