Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella hell for Disabled

Default Re: Coachella hell for Disabled

I parked in handicapped spots this year.. No placard, no disabled on my end. No double blue lines, no handicap sign, no blue handicap square (all three must be present)= Not a real handicap spot. No violations, no towing, no problem

Sorry that happened to you. I got a flat tire, and lost my cell phone
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Having a good friend who is paralyzed and in a wheelchair, i can say that i agree with the original poster and everything in GV's power should be done to make this as great of an experience for the disabled as they do for the able bodied.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

My wife just reminded me that it was late Thursday afternoon and not Friday morning that James told us that the disabled signs were not going to be delivered until Friday morning. Sorry for the error. But I did run into someone else looking for disabled parking Thursday. Nothing was marked and none of the security or parking people knew where it was supposed to be. As far as I'm concerned, when camping opened, the festival opened, and the parking should have been in place.

Quote Originally Posted by FuneralofHearts View Post
    Or maybe sometimes you need to get the word out so other people don't have to just 'take it.'
    I think what you don't get is that a lot of these people are already kind of beaten down from an everyday life you and I don't have to deal with...all I was really asking for is for what the law requires. I am not bitching or moaning about showers or toilet paper or any of that other little crap..
    Coachella is a unique festival and I appreciate how difficult it is to organize...they did a MUCH MUCH better job than the Hard Rock Joint which as I said had NO excuse.
    If I don't speak up for people in this situation, things won't get better...I am NOT complaining for myself, Get it??
    You're complaining needlessy because 99.97 percent of this board doesn't work for Coachella.

That being said... the parking situation for able campers is hell. So I imagine it must be increasingly worse for a disable person. However, if you think about the number of people that attend coachella alone... Not including all those that camp.. It would be nearing impossible to just have rows of handicap parking outside of Lot 1.

And you say you had to park way in the back? When you know there's a physical handicap you should come as early as possible to assure the optimal help. How early did you get there? Because I believe camping opened around 8 am Thursday. By the time you got there, Lot 1 might have reached its capacity for camping.

Also, when you leave campgrounds parking after Thursday, you do so basically knowing there's a good chance you wont be let back

Hopefully you have a better experience next year

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    ? When you know there's a physical handicap you should come as early as possible to assure the optimal help. How early did you get there? Because I believe camping opened around 8 am Thursday. By the time you got there, Lot 1 might have reached its capacity for camping.

Also, when you leave campgrounds parking after Thursday, you do so basically knowing there's a good chance you wont be let back
    We got there early on Thursday, before the gates were opened. At that time there were no handicapped signs up for lot 1. I asked security and several other people where handicapped parking was, and no one knew, even after using radios. I was directed to the camping parking and there was no Handicapped parking there, nothing marked. One of my tires went flat overnight and I had to go out and get it fixed Friday. No handicapped parking that day either. I don't think I am complaining needlessly because before we went we checked the boards a lot and people who are going next year who are disabled might pick up this thread and see that they need to call first and make sure these problems are taken care of ahead of time. Just so you know, my wife did call the ADA director James at least twice before we went to make sure things were ADA compliant. Well...despite his assurances, they were not. At least this way people can have specific information to ask about...ie, parking, access to all areas of the campsite, number of people allowed on the riser, etc...was told as well that there would be chairs for the wheelchair companions on the riser. That's NOT for my benefit, but rather so I don't block the view of someone in a wheelchair. All those things, like it or not, are required by federal law. Someone was not doing their job that well as the ADA director.

i smell lawsuit!!!
    Coachella Vet. 03,05,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,and 14

Let's do this, there is absolutely no reason not to.
    12/31 NYE w/ Chromeo @ Fort Mason
    02/07 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre
    02/13 Breakbot @ The Mezzanine
    03/02 Caribou @ The Fillmore (?)

another general question

shouldn't handi-cap people park as far away as possible so they can get more strength by having to travel longer? sort of like part of rehabilitation?
    ]
    sitting through a Jack Johnson headliner with special guests counting crows, ben harper, and dave matthews with a midget sitting on my lap ....a retarded midget with drool driping down my leg as he claps to the curious george song as i hold his lolly pop, while MIA's dj blasts horn noises in my right ear while staring at a 3rd addition of the tesla coils while the group of guys with g strings fart in my left ear > Kanye West

Quote Originally Posted by trentmorrison View Post
    another general question

shouldn't handi-cap people park as far away as possible so they can get more strength by having to travel longer? sort of like part of rehabilitation?
    Would be nice if it was that easy, believe me all the handicapped I know would welcome that solution if it worked.

No no freaking lawsuit, I am not interested in that...GOD all am am doing is trying to let other disabled people know what the problems were there and what they need to make sure is not going to happen to them when they go.

I'm sorry for your experience.

As mentioned, the people who work the lots seem to have no idea what's going on. Next year, it might be beneficial to look at the parking map that is posted about a week before the festival and maybe print it. It has a clear section marked for handicapped parking. Then I would drive straight there to park. If they don't let you, I would show them the map and your placard. It should be all good for parking.

Thanks for sharing your concerns though, I didn't know it was so bad for the disabled at Coachella. I am glad I know now though because I always thought Coachella did a lot more for them than I normally see at concerts/festivals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    I'm sorry for your experience.

As mentioned, the people who work the lots seem to have no idea what's going on. Next year, it might be beneficial to look at the parking map that is posted about a week before the festival and maybe print it. It has a clear section marked for handicapped parking. Then I would drive straight there to park. If they don't let you, I would show them the map and your placard. It should be all good for parking.

Thanks for sharing your concerns though, I didn't know it was so bad for the disabled at Coachella. I am glad I know now though because I always thought Coachella did a lot more for them than I normally see at concerts/festivals.
    Thanks for your support. I did actually have a map of the area, but was told at one point that was for concertgoers, not for campers, also it was not marked even though it is on the map, and no security or anyone seemed to know exactly where it was. It's kind of a big place and I had an idea where it should be, but found too that even the map was not always correct. It pointed the people who needed to pick up the wristbands for the disabled risers to a completely different place than it actually was, for example.
    Mainly my issues deal with camping, which is why I put this under the camping thread.

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted here for their support.

I did not start this thread simply to complain or bitch or get ANYTHING out of it, but more as a cautionary tale to other disabled campers.
    If you guys have any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas for future disabled campers, I really would appreciate you post them....please don't tell them to stay home or anything like that, they deserve a chance at great music and to have the same kind of joy you do.

You know what would rule? A wheelchair with seat that could be raised a lowered, like a barber's chair, so that you could be at eye level with the rest of the standing crowd (or at least with the shorter people in the crowd).

Oh wait, I googled it and it already exists. Cool.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

^ Yeah, maybe you should get that instead of complaining. Inspector Gadget style.

No lawsuit? I'm pretty sure that would do a lot more to better the situation than complain on this stupid message board in a thread that will be forgotten by next year, and the administrators will read once and shrug off.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

if it's an ADA violation, file a lawsuit and you'll win. if not, there's really nothing you can do. the percentage of Coachella-goers who are handicapped is probably too low for Goldenvoice to have them as a major consideration.

quit complaining

There was no designated handicapped parking for disabled campers. There was no access to the upper restaurant bar area for the disabled campers either. Those are both ADA violations and subject to penalty via federal law, but things did not change when we were there.

When I was packing up to leave, my wife's scooter ran out of batteries, and the staff did help us get our stuff to the parking lot...however...the woman we camped with (also disabled) was told someone would help her get to the parking area, all she needed to do was make a call. She called several times and was told they were busy. She sat in the hot Coachella sun for 2 hours before calling a medic as she felt as if she was going to pass out. Only after the medic insisted did the staff come and help her. She lives in Vegas but only made it as far as 29 palms before she had to pull over and get a motel from the heat exhaustion she had suffered.

Also for the main stage, the disabled area was half the size of last year. we were on a riser set far back, so the bands were pretty far away, but at least we could see them...the real problem was the overcrowding and the staff not paying enough attention and letting people who did not have the disabled wristbands onto the riser...I had a couple of them at least kicked off...sitting down in a SRO you cannot see anything as people standing are 3 to 4 feet above you on all sides unless there is some kind of riser.

My wife is recently disabled and I never knew or really appreciated the problems and stress the disabled encounter beyond just having to go thru life disabled. Coachella at least has an ADA director to answer to these issues, although....he was made aware of the parking and restaurant problems while we were there and it was not corrected during our stay.
    We followed McCartney to the Hard Rock in Vegas where they did not even provide a riser for the Standing Room Only concert so all the wheelchair bound could see were butts and the top 1/4 of the stage.....my wife had no idea the band was onstage until she heard Paul singing. I'm disputing the charge with Visa right now and sending the photos of our view...the Hard Rock 3 times prior to seating us that day assured us we would be able to see the band and we would be on risers. One man with no legs below his knees never had a chance to see anything but a big screen about 20 feet away....I am sure he would have had a much better view on his tv at home.

It's an outrage these things are not handled better for a venue (Coachella)that is 10 years old....It is difficult enough to be in a scooter or wheelchair or disabled companion without having to fight every inch of the way....so many people walked right in front of my wife as she was trying to navigate the venue as if she could stop on a dime...people in scooters cannot. People with wheelchairs cannot...people with canes can sometimes but it can cause quite a bit of pain to stop and start....

Please if you see someone in a wheelchair or scooter or pushing a wheeled chair or using a cane, give them some consideration...they are not trying for the most part to take advantage of their disability and they are not in it for the parking...believe me, it's not worth the pain.

I urge you also to write or call James who is the ADA director for Coachella and tell him (although he should have already known) that the venue should be fully accessible to all who want to enjoy great music, regardless if they have been stricken with disablity or not.

Thanks for reading and please if you are disabled....think twice about going here. My wife called far ahead to both venues ( Coachella and Hard Rock) and was repeatedly told they were absolutely ADA compliant....they were not.
    Take it to a lawyer. At minimum, report it to the ADA people. This is unfair & illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    quit complaining
    Quit wasting your time reading this thread if you don't like it.

Young blood

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted here for their support.

I did not start this thread simply to complain or bitch or get ANYTHING out of it, but more as a cautionary tale to other disabled campers.
    If you guys have any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas for future disabled campers, I really would appreciate you post them....please don't tell them to stay home or anything like that, they deserve a chance at great music and to have the same kind of joy you do.
    Get a hotel ADA approved hotel room next year.

Young blood

If you need everything spelled out for you it makes you more handicapped. Try to be more handicapable. Seriously I understand your frustrations, but sometimes you just have to take it. If someone is blocking your view on a platform make them move. If you need handicap parking make it. If someone tells you "no" especially to a handicapped person you do it anyways. Don't expect everything to be spelled out for you. Lifes a bitch, then you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    If you need everything spelled out for you it makes you more handicapped. Try to be more handicapable. Seriously I understand your frustrations, but sometimes you just have to take it. If someone is blocking your view on a platform make them move. If you need handicap parking make it. If someone tells you "no" especially to a handicapped person you do it anyways. Don't expect everything to be spelled out for you. Lifes a bitch, then you die.
    Yeah well, I am only trying to make it a little easier on people who come after me but that seems pretty well lost on you...truly, I was only doing this to help others that come after and all you seem to think is that I am bitching and moaning...have you read any other threads on this site? People bitch about the most petty crap....I don't expect to be handed anything, but I do expect to get the things I earned and paid for. Again, I am not the disabled person here so I ain't saying all this stuff for myself. Don't tell me I need to just take it, cuz the point of this whole thread was to let other handicappeds know what they would face at Coachella. My wife called at least 3 times before we left about issues and if this saves one person a bit of struggle in their lives they don't need....well that's all I really care about.

Young blood

Then give suggestions. Life is what you make it.

Apparently, disabled people don't use internets
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by ElBlueblazer View Post
    i smell lawsuit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Let's do this, there is absolutely no reason not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    No lawsuit? I'm pretty sure that would do a lot more to better the situation than complain on this stupid message board in a thread that will be forgotten by next year, and the administrators will read once and shrug off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCrystal View Post
    if it's an ADA violation, file a lawsuit and you'll win. if not, there's really nothing you can do. the percentage of Coachella-goers who are handicapped is probably too low for Goldenvoice to have them as a major consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Take it to a lawyer. At minimum, report it to the ADA people. This is unfair & illegal.
    You people seriously WANT this guy to file a lawsuit against Goldenvoice? The company that puts together Coachella... The festival we all love and anticipate all year long... The one that costs money to put together...

No no freaking lawsuit, I am not interested in that...GOD all am am doing is trying to let other disabled people know what the problems were there and what they need to make sure is not going to happen to them when they go.
    Thank you though sir.

Im sure the 2 women you helped out were grateful for what you did to help them enjoy coachella. And i hope they make the parking a little more clear and guard the risers better

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    You people seriously WANT this guy to file a lawsuit against Goldenvoice? The company that puts together Coachella... The festival we all love and anticipate all year long... The one that costs money to put together...

No, I actually think lawsuits are over-utilized and usually unnecessary, including in this case. But all this talk from FoH about how GV is violating federal law and such, I'm wondering why he isn't bothering. He's made his point public, so maybe a more productive means of complaining would be to email Goldenvoice.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post

if they're violating ADA regulations (which i don't think they are) sure, file a suit because they're breaking federal law.

Sounds to me that at least Goldenvoice did not break any laws and rather had a crowded ADA area. Not enough room for a lawsuit.. And like everyone has said, it definitely sucks you have to deal with this, but the Polo Grounds aren't necessarily the best venue to come into handicapped. Everything won't happen perfectly in that kind of enviroment..
    >>>>East Bay<<<<

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    scoop the eucalyptus infused shit out of a koala's ass and chow down you crocodile dundee special edition blu-ray owning, fosters keg hoarding, didgeridoo fellating, outback steakhouse gift card carrying dingo-dicked puddle of kangaroo piss.

go listen to wolfmother...

Quote Originally Posted by Jakewc151 View Post
    Sounds to me that at least Goldenvoice did not break any laws and rather had a crowded ADA area. Not enough room for a lawsuit.. And like everyone has said, it definitely sucks you have to deal with this, but the Polo Grounds aren't necessarily the best venue to come into handicapped. Everything won't happen perfectly in that kind of enviroment..
    Well that and.........it's just a story. They should have done something then and there.

Just reading through these comments it doesn't sound good.
    I always thought the states would be better at this.

In the UK we have leeds festival the facilites for disabled are really good, ok the grounds not flat as its leeds and hilly but plenty of help about. same with download at donnington this also has really good facilities. both these festivals cater for the disable day goer or weekend goer.

I was considering coachella next year but i think i may have to rethink

Can anyone put my concerns to rest???