Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella hell for Disabled

Default Coachella hell for Disabled

There was no designated handicapped parking for disabled campers. There was no access to the upper restaurant bar area for the disabled campers either. Those are both ADA violations and subject to penalty via federal law, but things did not change when we were there.

When I was packing up to leave, my wife's scooter ran out of batteries, and the staff did help us get our stuff to the parking lot...however...the woman we camped with (also disabled) was told someone would help her get to the parking area, all she needed to do was make a call. She called several times and was told they were busy. She sat in the hot Coachella sun for 2 hours before calling a medic as she felt as if she was going to pass out. Only after the medic insisted did the staff come and help her. She lives in Vegas but only made it as far as 29 palms before she had to pull over and get a motel from the heat exhaustion she had suffered.

Also for the main stage, the disabled area was half the size of last year. we were on a riser set far back, so the bands were pretty far away, but at least we could see them...the real problem was the overcrowding and the staff not paying enough attention and letting people who did not have the disabled wristbands onto the riser...I had a couple of them at least kicked off...sitting down in a SRO you cannot see anything as people standing are 3 to 4 feet above you on all sides unless there is some kind of riser.

My wife is recently disabled and I never knew or really appreciated the problems and stress the disabled encounter beyond just having to go thru life disabled. Coachella at least has an ADA director to answer to these issues, although....he was made aware of the parking and restaurant problems while we were there and it was not corrected during our stay.
    We followed McCartney to the Hard Rock in Vegas where they did not even provide a riser for the Standing Room Only concert so all the wheelchair bound could see were butts and the top 1/4 of the stage.....my wife had no idea the band was onstage until she heard Paul singing. I'm disputing the charge with Visa right now and sending the photos of our view...the Hard Rock 3 times prior to seating us that day assured us we would be able to see the band and we would be on risers. One man with no legs below his knees never had a chance to see anything but a big screen about 20 feet away....I am sure he would have had a much better view on his tv at home.

It's an outrage these things are not handled better for a venue (Coachella)that is 10 years old....It is difficult enough to be in a scooter or wheelchair or disabled companion without having to fight every inch of the way....so many people walked right in front of my wife as she was trying to navigate the venue as if she could stop on a dime...people in scooters cannot. People with wheelchairs cannot...people with canes can sometimes but it can cause quite a bit of pain to stop and start....

Please if you see someone in a wheelchair or scooter or pushing a wheeled chair or using a cane, give them some consideration...they are not trying for the most part to take advantage of their disability and they are not in it for the parking...believe me, it's not worth the pain.

I urge you also to write or call James who is the ADA director for Coachella and tell him (although he should have already known) that the venue should be fully accessible to all who want to enjoy great music, regardless if they have been stricken with disablity or not.

Thanks for reading and please if you are disabled....think twice about going here. My wife called far ahead to both venues ( Coachella and Hard Rock) and was repeatedly told they were absolutely ADA compliant....they were not.
    Last edited by FuneralofHearts; 04-22-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Default Re: Coachella hell for Disabled

Damn I never thought about disabled people's accommodations at concerts. I didn't even know there was a riser for disabled people or wristbands.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Unfortunately festivals are not designed for the disabled,at least they had some accomodations. You cant expect to just have the easiest time at such a place with the unfortunate restrictions that are put on you.

do you have contact info for james? i'd love to shoot him a very well-worded email
    My entire universe exploded right in front of me, and all I could do was laugh about it.

I'm saving my extra camping spot for Charlie Sheen.

my taxes have to pay for sidewalks being altered for handicap people, installing elevators at public buildings, they also have welfare system for them, now i have to pay for easy coachella access that's gonna add more money on my concert ticket?
    ]
    sitting through a Jack Johnson headliner with special guests counting crows, ben harper, and dave matthews with a midget sitting on my lap ....a retarded midget with drool driping down my leg as he claps to the curious george song as i hold his lolly pop, while MIA's dj blasts horn noises in my right ear while staring at a 3rd addition of the tesla coils while the group of guys with g strings fart in my left ear > Kanye West

Quote Originally Posted by trentmorrison View Post
    my taxes have to pay for sidewalks being altered for handicap people, installing elevators at public buildings, they also have welfare system for them, now i have to pay for easy coachella access that's gonna add more money on my concert ticket?
    The percentage of money taken from you to pay for those things is the equivalent to you renting a movie at blockbuster or buying a happy meal.

You don't have to pay for any of that stuff at Coachella. Goldenvoice does. Do you really think your personal ticket price is going to go up if they have to add 6 inches to the riser at the mainstage?

STFU

You make baby Jesus cry.
    Coachella 09' 10' See ya' next year!

That's sad to hear that The Joint @ the Hard Rock, which just had its grand re-opening a week or two ago after renovations, did not add risers. I've been to concerts & mma fights at the old Joint and can't recall there being any designated space for the handicapped. I would think there was some kind of building code that would make this mandatory.
    I did see a raised platform at the Outdoor Theater.....WAAAAAY in the back.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

It won't add more money to your ticket. Coachella and all venues like this are already required by federal law to provide certain accomodations for the disabled. I was only expecting what the law requires, especially after being told on the phone it was ADA compliant.

I did not expect it to be 'easy' to camp or navigate the venue with 2 disabled women, but I am not complaining about pitching tents, unpacking gear, etc or anything like that. I knew there would be some difficulty and was happy to do it...I am not complaining about how far the riser was from the stage..only that it was far too small to accomodate the disabled at Cochella and that it was not policed well. Last year several people jumped on the wheelchair risers to get a better view and it took security at least a half hour to get them off.

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post
    Unfortunately festivals are not designed for the disabled,at least they had some accomodations. You cant expect to just have the easiest time at such a place with the unfortunate restrictions that are put on you.
    Yes they did have some accomodations but again, that's not out of the kindness of their heart. I did not expect to have an 'easy' time, and I am not complaining about having to work a bit harder with 2 disabled women..I was happy to do that...but I did expect Coachella to be in compliance with federal law.

Did Coachella add handicap risers for more stages this year than there were last year? I only remember them at the main stage and maybe the outdoor stage last year, but it seems like all the stages had them this year.

I'm not discounting your experience FuneralofHearts. Coachella is a tiresome physical experience even for those of us who are able-bodied between all the walking and standing on your feet all day and hot weather. But I do think Goldenvoice is trying, and I hope they will hear your suggestions and make things even better for next year.

Yes, each stage had handicap risers this year, Courtney. Also, the campsite parking DID have a handicap lot. You just had to show your placard to the parking people and they would guide you to a spot.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post

Sad, unfair, but unfortunately true

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Yes, each stage had handicap risers this year, Courtney. Also, the campsite parking DID have a handicap lot. You just had to show your placard to the parking people and they would guide you to a spot.
    No, Campers did not have Handicapped Parking, that's simply not true.
    There was none posted and I do have a placard for permanent disabled. After I argued they Did let me try to find a place close, but that was it. No desginated Handicapped, you just had to be lucky.

sometimes funeral you just have to push the point ... and i know there are laws, but for like Phish at red rocks, there is no accessable seating that i could ever find or get .... we were parked about 20 yards from the gate at the roo, but that place is even rougher for us, coachella is a breeze compared to some places albiet i know that doesnt make it better ... now the hard rock, thats a different story .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

PS
    I should mention I myself am not disabled but was with 2 women who are.
    Yes I understand it's not the ideal venue for disabled people....however all I have been trying to point out is that the required by law stuff was not even taken care of....
    As far as Handicapped parking for campers, there was none as I said before, and I DO have a placard for my wife. We got there early Thursday to avoid crowds and the parking guy tried to send us way out in back...nothing was marked...I told him my wife was handicapped. It was not just this one guy either. I had a tire problem and went to get it fixed Friday morning. When I came back there was no place for me to re park and still no designated handicapped area.
    I know to a lot of you it might sound like I am whining, but the thing is, Coachella broke federal law by not providing access to at least 2 places in the campground and not desginating handicapped parking for campers. I am not asking for special treatment or anything, just what should have already been provided.

they wouldn't let you park in lot 1?

Lot 1 is meant for handicapped concertgoers who are not camping at Coachella.
    I do not believe you can access the camping area thru lot 1.

When we arrived on Thursday, there were no signs up for handicapped parking at Lot 1 or anyplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by FuneralofHearts View Post

Lot 1 is meant for handicapped concertgoers who are not camping at Coachella.
    I do not believe you can access the camping area thru lot 1.

When we arrived on Thursday, there were no signs up for handicapped parking at Lot 1 or anyplace else.
    Lot 1 is meant for handicapped concertgoers.
    And yes, there was a gate to access the camping area.
    The signs were placed at lot 1 early in the week.
    Keep in mind, the wind had been blowing all week so they may have blown over or been taken down, but they were there early Thursday morning.
    I would have taken a picture showing you but we were told not to blow the surprise.

If you send some emails to GV, I'm sure that they will do everything possible within reason to make Coachella more handicapped friendly. If you had a bad concert experience, they may even comp you some passes for a future Coachella.
    Whether you use sugar or vinegar is your choice. The way in which you approach GV with your concerns will determine the response you get.

Young blood

Im sure goldenvoice does everything they can to cater to the disabled. Understand that you are going to a giant grassy field to see a festival. The hard rock is a different story. Stop complaining.

again i am not giving you a hard time cuz been there done that .... another ex: of weird (and young blood can vouch for this) at red rocks the disabled seats are row one ...... wowowowowowowo .... BUT if there is an overflow, the next row is the very very last one at the top ... one thing that bugs me and i guess i understand .... at concerts here anyway, if it is GA, then you tend to get good seats .... if it is seat assignment, then the cost of the tic is whatever that "area" pays .... thus if there is say gold seating, and you want close disabled, you pay the top dollar for the seats, like in the hundreds .... oh well, what ya gonna do .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

that sucks and i have nothing but sympathy for disabled people. but honestly i feel people just make threads like this on here cuz they know goldenvoice has a soft spot for compensating people who had a bad experience
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Im sure goldenvoice does everything they can to cater to the disabled. Understand that you are going to a giant grassy field to see a festival. The hard rock is a different story. Stop complaining.
    Look, I am not complaining. I am voicing problems I saw present. You don't seem to get no handicapped parking for the camping area is a violation of federal law. No access to certain areas is also a violation of federal law...the reason I started this thread was to warn others who are thinking of camping and ARE handicapped.
    I was at Coachella before the gates opened, no handicapped signs in lot 1 or any other area...in fact James later told me they had not GOTTEN the signs delivered for lot 1 yet on Friday morning, so I am not saying this in a baseless manner...
    If they were up and blew down that's one thing, but according to the ADA director, they had not been delivered. I don't care about being comped, I just want conditions a little better...I am not being a hard as or whiner about it either, just stating facts.
    I am not sure still you can get access to the campground from Lot 1 without going a lot further than you would if you parked in lot B or C or whatever...
    If you have to go a longer way around than those who are not disabled, it's rather pointless don't you think?

i think the problem is that they bring people in to work for the weekend with little or no knowledge of what is available. these people show up, put on their shirts, and away they go. so even if there was disabled parking they may not have been told where it was or how to direct people there.

believe me, i understand. i am disabled and deal with this stuff every year. i am fortunate in that i get to park in the artist parking, but even there they do not provide parking close to the entrance. i have always flashed my placard, but they just fill in the spots in each row as the cars roll in. i have had to park at the very back of that lot many times and at night while walking out it is the worst. i have lung issues and the amount of dust floating in the air at that point is dangerous to me. i know what i am getting into, so i now come prepared with a bandana each year, but every year i hope that they will change it so i don't have to make the walk. sometimes i will just turn the corner and head back up a row once the attendants have moved on, hoping to find a closer space. on sunday when i came in they directed me towards the back, but there were open spots about 20 cars from the front. i flashed my placard, but they told me to keep going. i didn;t and just pulled into one of the close ones, what are they gonna do? nothing.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 04-23-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Oh and one thing I do agree about...yes I know the situation at Coachella is different....
    The Hard Rock had no excuse at all, but I DO give Coachella some slack...understand although you think I am whining Youngblood, I am not. I am trying to make it better for people who come after me...these are fairly easy changes to make that I am talking about...but a big difference for those who have to sit in those chairs.
    I thankfully am not one of them, but at the Hard Rock especially you could see a lot of people who had looked forward to seeing a concert, and got to see a lot of butts. I sometimes think because of what they go thru a lot of passion and fight is lost from their soul...and again, I am not being a hard ass or whiney. I don't know goldenvoice, but sounds like a nice guy...not trying to get any thing out of this, I don't want to be comped by Coachella, and all I can say is that at least at Coachella at least my wife and her friend could SEE the band when they played.

what even makes you people so sure they accommodate the disabled? he's the one who had to deal with the problems, i'm sure you completely ABLED people weren't paying much attention to problems for the DISabled.

shut up and respect this poor guy.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Young blood

Quote Originally Posted by FuneralofHearts View Post
    Look, I am not complaining. I am voicing problems I saw present. You don't seem to get no handicapped parking for the camping area is a violation of federal law. No access to certain areas is also a violation of federal law...the reason I started this thread was to warn others who are thinking of camping and ARE handicapped.
    I was at Coachella before the gates opened, no handicapped signs in lot 1 or any other area...in fact James later told me they had not GOTTEN the signs delivered for lot 1 yet on Friday morning, so I am not saying this in a baseless manner...
    If they were up and blew down that's one thing, but according to the ADA director, they had not been delivered. I don't care about being comped, I just want conditions a little better...I am not being a hard as or whiner about it either, just stating facts.
    I am not sure still you can get access to the campground from Lot 1 without going a lot further than you would if you parked in lot B or C or whatever...
    If you have to go a longer way around than those who are not disabled, it's rather pointless don't you think?
    You have to realize that coachella is an ever changing canvas, each year is different with different people helping out (like juststeve said.) Things are ever changing and will never be similar from the year before. The focus will be put on one area but taken away from others. It only happens for 3 days a year and for 3 days goldenvoice does a one of the best jobs I have ever expirienced. Sometimes being disabled you just have to take it. Your wife and friend are disabled, and instead of asking for compassion or help you just take it. Also like Juststeve said with the parking situation. Fuck a punk ass security guard, what the fuck is he going to do? Just park in VIP/artist parking and throw up that place card. For 3 days, 3 of the best days of the year sometimes you just do what you have to do to get shit done.

Devin the dude. stfu. Hes not a poor guy.

If they were up and blew down that's one thing, but according to the ADA director, they had not been delivered
    I thought for sure that they were up.
    I may have been wrong.
    Anyways, everyone should be able to go to a music festival.....no matter what.
    In this case, I do hope that everything works out for everyone.
    It will make for an even better 2010 Coachella.

Just park in VIP/artist parking and throw up that place card. For 3 days, 3 of the best days of the year sometimes you just do what you have to do to get shit done.
    well, you still need artist parking passes to park back there...and this year we even got to pay $20/day!

Sometimes being disabled you just have to take it. Your wife and friend are disabled, and instead of asking for compassion or help you just take it.
    Or maybe sometimes you need to get the word out so other people don't have to just 'take it.'
    I think what you don't get is that a lot of these people are already kind of beaten down from an everyday life you and I don't have to deal with...all I was really asking for is for what the law requires. I am not bitching or moaning about showers or toilet paper or any of that other little crap..
    Coachella is a unique festival and I appreciate how difficult it is to organize...they did a MUCH MUCH better job than the Hard Rock Joint which as I said had NO excuse.
    If I don't speak up for people in this situation, things won't get better...I am NOT complaining for myself, Get it??