Thread: Bad air quality

Unhappy Bad air quality

Coachella was an amazing music festival. The music was great, the crowd was so easy, everything was so well organized and on time, and the food was delicious. The only problem was the bad air from the dust and the cigarettes. I could barely breathe by the end of the festival. I don't care about the green - it is the cigs that are killer. I doubt they would ban smoking but how about shutting down the cigarette tent where they were giving away 2 packs supposedly to each adult. Free cigarettes encourage people to smoke more. Plus, it was so sad seeing kids around 15 and 16 years old smoking. There is not much you can do about the dust. But the cig smoking can be decreased.

Default Re: Bad air quality

I so agree with you on the cigarette smoke. Caugh Caugh Caugh. Also, I hated to see almost every cigarette smoker use the grass as their trash can.

Some other random thoughts:

I feel like there was a slight breeze every day this year keeping the dust and smoke moving away from the festival.

I hear pollen levels were high in the valley this year.

I'm glad they water down the dust in the parking lots, but for some reason I'm always sneezing on my way out.

im from South Florida and im not used to dry air or weather to begin with but something about this year made the air seem A LOT drier than it has been the past two years i have gone. by the end of the weekend i had no mucous left and was as dry as a california raisin

I don't think there would be a way to prevent smoking at an outdoor festival, especially with such a large crowd. I hate smoke, but I'm also practical. Would be nice if they put cig-safe trash cans around so the more considerate smokers could throw out their butts without worrying about starting a fire. The dust on the other hand...bah. My throat still hurts from the dirt sandwiches I ate on the way in & out of the festival every day.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

The smoke and dust weren't as bad this year.

It didn't get bad till late at night in the tents. (I had to go outside during the Orb because it was so thick. )

I did notice there was a large stack of bales of hay next to the fence between the Gobi and Outdoor Theatre. I think that may explain my sneezing a bit. I am allergic to hay.

My solution: bring a bandanna to cover mouth/nose on the walk back to the car and when some smoker is next to me.

bandana...and saline nasal spray. the spray keeps shit working properly all weekend, also cleans out the dust.

Do you realize that there are a lot of hard working people in Indio that get paid to pick up the hundred of thousands of cigarettes me and my fellow smokers flick into the grass? Would you have these poor folks lose their jobs? Pull your heads out of your non-smoking asses, people - this isn't helping the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Do you realize that there are a lot of hard working people in Indio that get paid to pick up the hundred of thousands of cigarettes me and my fellow smokers flick into the grass? Would you have these poor folks lose their jobs? Pull your heads out of your non-smoking asses, people - this isn't helping the economy.

And, just think of all those oncologists that might be unemployed were people to stop smoking. Oh, the tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    And, just think of all those oncologists that might be unemployed were people to stop smoking. Oh, the tragedy.
    I'll do you one further than that, my friend. Tomorrow over 370,000 people will be born on this Earth while approximately 150,000 people will die. That's a net increase of almost 220,000 people per day!!! An increase of almost 80,000,000 people a year. Smoke cigarettes people, and wear condoms. It's really the only way to save the planet.

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/pcwe

I'll do you one further than that, my friend. Tomorrow over 370,000 people will be born on this Earth while approximately 150,000 people will die. That's a net increase of almost 220,000 people per day!!! An increase of almost 80,000,000 people a year. Smoke cigarettes people, and wear condoms. It's really the only way to save the planet.

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/pcwe
    It is getting crowded! For people in favor of population control: http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm (Creepy!)

Wearing condoms = good. Smoking cigarettes where other people breathe = bad. Just sayin...
    Last edited by TheWatcher; 04-22-2009 at 07:40 PM.

It is getting crowded! For people in favor of population control: http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm (Creepy!)

Wearing condoms = good. Smoking cigarettes where other people breathe = bad. Just sayin...
    That's pretty cool about the stones, actually. And I agree that it's a drag to breathe other people's second hand smoke and I try and blow it up and out whenever possible. All's I'm saying is that non-smokers have got the airplanes, restaurants, bars and the entire city of Santa Monica. We'll keep outdoor concerts, Thanks.

^haha. That's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

It didn't get bad till late at night in the tents. (I had to go outside during the Orb because it was so thick. )
    I don't think that was smoke from ciggies
    "Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    I don't think that was smoke from ciggies
    Well... Some was from cigarettes, some from weed, something else smelled really odd, not sure what it was.

i smelled a lot of cloves this year.

I'm a smoker, but I try to be considerate. I only light up when there is enough room, I hold my cig so that it wont burn others, pop off teh cherry and step on it and toss the butt in the trash. at least most of the time. weed is another story, lol
    Last edited by g0k1ngsg0; 04-22-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Srsly, I don't know how many times I wished I could magically summon all tobacco products up and out of the festival. Shit reeks and doesn't leave your clothes when you try to remove yourself. Non-tobacco smoke is perfectly fine, though ... I think its really just the cigs. I kinda like the smell of cloves and pipe.

And the dust was only an issue walking to/from the venue from the parking lot(s)

That's pretty cool about the stones, actually. And I agree that it's a drag to breathe other people's second hand smoke and I try and blow it up and out whenever possible. All's I'm saying is that non-smokers have got the airplanes, restaurants, bars and the entire city of Santa Monica. We'll keep outdoor concerts, Thanks.
    Concerts are for blazin'. Not complaining about that!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    My friend saw you while she was in the ferris wheel and she tried to get a closer look by actually leaping out of the ferris wheel but somebody caught her.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Caugh Caugh Caugh.
    cough?

people that smoke cigs in crowds just have no respect for themselves and the people around them. its ignorant.
    ]
    sitting through a Jack Johnson headliner with special guests counting crows, ben harper, and dave matthews with a midget sitting on my lap ....a retarded midget with drool driping down my leg as he claps to the curious george song as i hold his lolly pop, while MIA's dj blasts horn noises in my right ear while staring at a 3rd addition of the tesla coils while the group of guys with g strings fart in my left ear > Kanye West

Huh? I didn't even really notice dust or smoke. Lucky me!
    Coachella 09' 10' See ya' next year!

no bus

Quote Originally Posted by trentmorrison View Post
    people that smoke cigs in crowds just have no respect for themselves and the people around them. its ignorant.
    people that go into crowds with stank b.o. have no respect for themselves and the people around them. Why isnt anyone talking about that bad air quality. i smelled many shitty smelly people. gagged many of times. nasty......

free deodorant should be given away in tents like the ciggs.

"Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats