Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Coachella changed my life

Lurker

Default How Coachella changed my life

So this was my first Coachella. I flew all the way from Boston to see the wonder of it all. I've wanted to go for years and it was like a dream that I finally got to go. I definitely plan on going every year.

That being said, I realized something. It was hard for me to even get one person to go with me this year. That's because most the people around here suck. Little to none of my friends are into good music nor would they take a trip all the way across the country to go to a festival like this. I look around the festival however, and I see huge groups of people who have all come together to enjoy some great music. I see a big volcano tent in the campgrounds, I see people I should be friends with, I see a ton of people who, for lack of a better term, are like me. So I think to myself, I need to make a change. So thanks to Coachella I think it's time for me to up and move to someplace different. I think I belong out west.

Anyways, that's the main thing I took from Coachella this year. What a great time. Now I'm back at crappy work.....

Default Re: How Coachella changed my life

I guess Coachella does crazy things to people! I could have typed this out myself last year because it's exactly what I experienced. I lived in DC, flew out alone and met up with a friend that came out from Denver and had such a great experience. I realized on Sunday in one of the tents that I needed to shake things up and move somewhere different... and I did. Although I was looking at the west coast to be near my brother, I ended up getting a job in Raleigh and my life kicks so much more ass now than it did a year ago. Coachella was definitely the catalyst to make me realize that I needed to live my life with a better vibe and in a way that will make me happy. I'm almost afraid of what subsequent Coachellas will do to my life... but... I can't wait to find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    The Wizard didnt resist the police, the police resisted The Wizard

Lurker

Wow, this is great! I'm so happy to hear that it actually worked out for the better. I think I might actually do this. Getting a job somewhere in the silicon valley shouldn't be that hard right? I mean.....people need electrical engineers right?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by RichOfTheJungle View Post
    Wow, this is great! I'm so happy to hear that it actually worked out for the better. I think I might actually do this. Getting a job somewhere in the silicon valley shouldn't be that hard right? I mean.....people need electrical engineers right?
    Yeah man! I work and live in the bay area and I am having a fun time! Coachella is a really amazing experience took my best friend with me, we had a blast!

WELL me and 2 friends come from boston! where were you?! we camp and next year you are coming with us. end of story!
    '07 '08 '09 '10...

Lurker

you can take solace in the fact that there are PLENTY of people out there that felt the way you do. the whole experience gets THAT much better when you do get with a group of people who you can share it with.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

These stories are great. My first Coachella definitely made me take a hard look at my life though redefining happiness and my willingness to attain it. It almost seems silly. A music festival changing the way people go about their lives, but it does, year after year. It truly is a magical place.

this year was my first coachella too, and i feel the EXACT same way you do
    im from the east coast, and though i've always wanted to move to the LA area, this trip absolutely confirmed that this is the place for me

This didn't necessarily change my life, but during Arcade Fire's set in 2007, I knew that I would never miss a Coachella as long as I live.

Hi brother. I'll tell you what......I didn't have coachella to change my life ( fortunately I left the east before I ever went to a coachella) but coachella is indicative of what west coast life is like. Every year i go to caochella I meet people that are "like" me. I grew up in pgh, pa and they just don't get it out there. I live in San Diego and my life is like coachella hear. It's not something most people say, but it is so special partly because of where it's held. Anyone that doesn't understand what your saying will never understand, but they don't need to. The only advice I can give is " just come out here." Your life will forever change.

Lurker

Kathryn: I live in Burlington currently. Send me a PM or something.

Derek, that is my brother's name so when I saw "Hi brother" I thought my little brother had went on to the Coachella forums, made an account, found one of my posts and was replying to it. Really weird.

Anyways, I'm REALLY glad I'm not the only one who feels the way I do. I thought I might have been crazy or something. Thank you to everyone for the advice/input. It's relieving to know there are other people who feel the same way I do. I thought it might have been nuts to think that a music festival could change my life.

So here is my next conundrum: I go to a lot of concerts here in Boston. Usually between 30 - 40 per year. All the venues are close to my house, with some of the further ones (Worcester for example) being an hour away. I think I would like San Francisco, but it seems like most of the bands that I would want to see live only go to Southern Cali. Whereabouts should I move? It seems San Diego would be a good choice.

Also, what about a job? I'm an engineer and the silicon valley seems like an obvious choice. Just saying.........

So here is my next conundrum: I go to a lot of concerts here in Boston. Usually between 30 - 40 per year. All the venues are close to my house, with some of the further ones (Worcester for example) being an hour away. I think I would like San Francisco, but it seems like most of the bands that I would want to see live only go to Southern Cali. Whereabouts should I move? It seems San Diego would be a good choice.

Also, what about a job? I'm an engineer and the silicon valley seems like an obvious choice. Just saying.........
    San Diego has few jobs and they pay less than larger cities. For engineers, however, they do have big wireless companies down there (Nokia and Qualcomm). You will find the San Diego music scene in it's own little bubble. Lots of local acts, but nothing compared to LA or the Bay Area. Beyond that, San Diego is a great place to live. You just lose a little culture.

It sounds like the obvious place for you is anywhere between downtown LA and Santa Monica including Hollywood, West Hollywood, Silverlake, Echo Park, Brentwood, Ocean Park, etc... (Pretty much anywhere North of the 10 and South of the Santa Monica Mtns / Hollywood Hills).

The music scene in LA speaks for itself and there are tons of engineering jobs in LA, especially in Aerospace.

This year was my first coachella too. I live on the west coast already, but most of my family lives in maine so i can definitely understand how it would be shocking to realize how much it sucks on (most of) the east coast - in my experience, at least.

I loved coachella and it changed some things about me for sure. I loved how open and fun everyone was, I felt like I could approach almost any person there and start an enjoyable conversation. Also, I didn't feel like a doofus dancing like I do most of the time, and it kinda made me get over my social awkwardness, dancing wise. made me realize that if anyone has a problem with my moves, that's they're problem, and I can still keep dancing the night away and having a great time!

yeah, we west coast people rule. join thee party
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

This coachella, all my friends backed out of going, and i almost followed. I ended up going alone and had a better time than any other coachella that i have attended. I was feeling pretty depressed to go alone, but what coachella made me realize that all i need is a desire to have fun and it will come. I have been sort of living in a shell for the last few years, and coachella was just the thing to help me break out of it. I am going to have to say that it was my favorite coachella out of about 5, and ill never forget this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Come on out, the weather is niiiiiiiice!

Coachella is a cool festival, just because some rich spoiled kids have a "life altering experience" because they got fucked up on LSD and E everybody thinks it's a magical place. ITS A FUCKING CONCERT FESTIVAL, yes it's great but shut up about all you're mind opening bullshit. I've taken drugs but I know that all this "I wanna be a hippy" cocksucking talk is comming from people who were gievn every opportunity in life and now want to sit on their lazy spoiled ass all day taken drugs. Get a life, get a job (if you can find one) and go to Coachella once a year and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodEarth View Post
    Coachella is a cool festival, just because some rich spoiled kids have a "life altering experience" because they got fucked up on LSD and E everybody thinks it's a magical place. ITS A FUCKING CONCERT FESTIVAL, yes it's great but shut up about all you're mind opening bullshit. I've taken drugs but I know that all this "I wanna be a hippy" cocksucking talk is comming from people who were gievn every opportunity in life and now want to sit on their lazy spoiled ass all day taken drugs. Get a life, get a job (if you can find one) and go to Coachella once a year and have fun.
    shut the fuck up. if some hipster kid want's to use there trust funds to pay for coachella every year and get fucked up on drugs, what's it to you...that's there business and not yours. Like you said..."Get a life", and just go to the festival once a year to have fun, stop hating.

It's not where you are, it's who you know. If you think that just because Coachella is in California that every day out here is going to be like Coachella you are in for a huge disappointment. Move if it's what you want, but don't be expecting a non stop party, it's the real world just like anywhere else.

That's really awesome Rich! I fully support you moving out west and expanding your lifestyle/horizons. Just know going to Coachella alone is actually a blessing sometimes because you can be free to wander wherever you like and making new friends is not hard at all. I camped with the board members and spent all my time with them for the same reason, that they are committed, reliable, knowledgable, and a breath of fresh air from the people I see everyday. Coachella changes lives, fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

I flew all the way from Boston That being said, I realized something. It was hard for me to even get one person to go with me this year. That's because most the people around here suck. Little to none of my friends are into good music
    yeah I hear that a lot. seems people in boston have no clue of what good music is. I said that to someone from boston once and she said, "we have good music" (my thoughts at that moment were, what flogging molly?? something Irish??) she continued to say, "have you heard of floggin molly or drop kick murpheys?" wow! how did I know in an instant she would say that??

Cheers! I'm glad the allure of the west still resides in the hearts of Easterners. Being a California native that makes my heart rejoice! weeeeee
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Funny because not everyone that feels this way about Coachella does drugs you insipid twat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Lurker

I didn't mention drugs.

And I'm not delusional, I realize that no matter where you go, there are going to be cool people and there are going to be people that suck. I just feel like where I live is ya-dood central (though that may be seconded by New Jersey). What if I had gone to Bonnaroo for example, would I want to move to TN? Who's to say? But I've been to music festivals (albeit much smaller) in New England and the people around here aren't quite as awesome as the people I met at Coachella.

I haven't heard a single person say that moving to California was a bad idea. Actually I would be very interested in hearing the cons from someone who has done exactly what I want to do.

And seriously GoodEarth, who said I don't have a job? Who even mentioned hippies? I have a damn good job as an engineer, and would obviously get a similar or better job out west before I move. Were your comments directed towards me? I think you may have taken what I said out of context or made some assumptions that are just unfounded. I don't even do drugs, nor would I want to start. Or are you trolling and I just totally fell for it...

Anyways, thanks for the input everybody....

Quote Originally Posted by frazzles View Post
    Funny because not everyone that feels this way about Coachella does drugs you insipid twat.
    At least I've felt the touch of a woman

At least I've felt the touch of a woman
    Who the fuck are you
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I haven't heard a single person say that moving to California was a bad idea. Actually I would be very interested in hearing the cons from someone who has done exactly what I want to do.
    i have heard lots of people bitch about CA but most of their bitching is unfounded bullshit...mostly from people who weren't able to achieve their dreams of being an actor or whatever dream they were pursuing and decided that L.A. was the only place to find it

I was born and raised here and I honestly can't imagine myself living anywhere else for an extended period of time. I love it here. i have seen a lot of people come and go, it's definitely a place of change.

As long as you don't come here with the typical east coast attitude that "back home" is way better than where you're going (which it obviously sounds like you don't have) then you'll be golden. CA is great!

Lurker

DMcD, thanks for the input. Like I said, I'm not delusional. I would like to get a normal job out there, live comfortably, and continue loving my life in a different place.

If I had the "back is way better" attitude I probably wouldn't be going. I'd like to go and just try it out for a little while. When I was out of school Intel was going to give me a job living in Cali for 6 - 8 months out of the year and back here for the other 4 - 6, to keep good relations with the other offices. That would've been perfect except I didn't like what I was doing. Stupid.....so stupid........
    they're =/= there =/= their
    your =/= you're

Looks like it's time to hire a recruiter in the Bay area and one in LA.

coachella didnt change my life .... but it did show me how well a festival can be run if done right ..... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

You are a shame to the avatar that represents you