Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnaroo = Coachella 0.5?

Default Bonnaroo = Coachella 0.5?

Why do you think Bonnaroo has so many of the same artists as Coachella this year? Just because they were the ones who happened to be on tour/willing to play at the time?
    You came here to steal our great ideas! You've been foiled, we have none.

Default Re: Bonnaroo = Coachella 0.5?

that happened last year as well..they always share similar artists.

Banned

the great thing now happening in the usa is now we have regional festivals 3 alive and well ones. coachella in the desert, bonnaroo in the south and lollapalooza in the midwest.. i think this is a trend we will see more of around the country. touring festivals like ozzfest are dying slowly. im glad to see the regional festivals they are starting to compete slowly with europe and its also because radio and mainstram is neglecting everything but mainstream so its nice for groups to get exposure through the festivals...

I was kind of hoping the Virgin Festival in Baltimore would do better than it did last year. There couldn't have been more than 40,000 people there and it had a really good line-up. I hope they do another one this year as Baltimore is only an hour from me (as opposed to Coachella). That would give the east coast yet another festival within somewhat easy driving distance.

Banned

i wish san francisco/bay area would consider a festival. we have bfd and thats about it..

Sasquatch and Bumbershoot are alive and kickin' up in the Northwest - last year Sasquatch was especially good with

Beck, Death Cab, QOTSA, The Decemberists, Nada Surf, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, CYHSY... and that was just the mainstage on Sunday!

Fri/Sat the headliners were Bauhaus/NIN/TVOTR and Flaming Lips/Shins/Sufjan. Pretty good. It did rain and it was breezy though. Coachella wins weather-wise for sure. But it's cool to have regional festivals, it promotes people looking up the bands in preparation.

....yeah bfd sucks ass. you go the year rob zombie played? the bitch that was lactating everywhere!!!???....memories...

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Sasquatch and Bumbershoot are alive and kickin' up in the Northwest - last year Sasquatch was especially good with

Beck, Death Cab, QOTSA, The Decemberists, Nada Surf, Arctic Monkeys, Pretty Girls Make Graves, CYHSY... and that was just the mainstage on Sunday!

Fri/Sat the headliners were Bauhaus/NIN/TVOTR and Flaming Lips/Shins/Sufjan. Pretty good. It did rain and it was breezy though. Coachella wins weather-wise for sure. But it's cool to have regional festivals, it promotes people looking up the bands in preparation.
    Yup. A Tribe Called Quest playing Bumbershoot made the whole fesival for me. We hold it down in the northwest.

there's also bowie's highline fest in nyc..although no one's quite sure what that's gonna be like.

http://www.highlinefestival.com/

didnt san fransisco get rock the bells last year? i think that will be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    i wish san francisco/bay area would consider a festival. we have bfd and thats about it..
    The smug levels in the bay area are much to high for that to happen..

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    the great thing now happening in the usa is now we have regional festivals 3 alive and well ones. coachella in the desert, bonnaroo in the south and lollapalooza in the midwest.. i think this is a trend we will see more of around the country. touring festivals like ozzfest are dying slowly. im glad to see the regional festivals they are starting to compete slowly with europe and its also because radio and mainstram is neglecting everything but mainstream so its nice for groups to get exposure through the festivals...
    Don't forget ACL in Austin. It's bigger than Lollapalooza.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by KRINGER View Post
    I hear they've got a high smug advisory today. Officials are asking that hipsters with self-satisfied grins stay at home.

vinylmartyr

Maybe it could be like Altamont all over again.

I was gonna complain about NY metro area not having any festivals like coachella...then I remembered every band and their mother comes through NYC.

and then there's the Highline Festival. I don't count CMJ...it's just like any other 5 days in NYC, just more packed.

Quote Originally Posted by SometimesNJ View Post
    there's also bowie's highline fest in nyc..although no one's quite sure what that's gonna be like.

http://www.highlinefestival.com/
    you just know arcade's headlining that. if it still goes off, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by cityzun View Post
    Why do you think Bonnaroo has so many of the same artists as Coachella this year? Just because they were the ones who happened to be on tour/willing to play at the time?
    Bonnaroo is trying to diversify itself and not be labeled the "hippie festival" anymore. They needed a way to try and compete with the kind of acts Coachella kept booking and this was their only way. You still see their standard jam bands in there but obviously there are loads more indie/electronic artists on the lineup which never really existed til last year.

Quote Originally Posted by KRINGER View Post
    Ummm...you and scoop obviously are unaware of reggae on the river and high sierra

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    you just know arcade's headlining that. if it still goes off, that is.
    TVOTR and Secret Machines will probably be there too. Bowie loves them

We use to have the Tibetan Freedom Concert at the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park. But I've wondered why we don't have a festival out in the hills in the East Bay or something...there is so much room and I'm sure a good site exist. Roads would be a problem though. Does Altamont Raceway still exist? I live near Livermore but have never really figured it out.

sf:
    Be the Riottt
    Noise Pop
    Rock the Bells
    BFD
    Bridge School Benefit
    That thing in the park
    The folk/bluegrass version of that thing in the park

also Download Festival

and that KFOG thing that's around 4th of July?
    Last edited by dorkfish; 02-16-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Andrew, I've never seen it. My cousins live in Livermore and I visit them fairly often, so I figured I would have passed it at some point. I think I remember my uncle mentioning something about them getting rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

you forgot download

there's vegoose and voodoo too, people always forget em

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post
    I was gonna complain about NY metro area not having any festivals like coachella...then I remembered every band and their mother comes through NYC.

and then there's the Highline Festival. I don't count CMJ...it's just like any other 5 days in NYC, just more packed.
    Whatever happened to Field Day; wasn't that going to be a big festival in nyc? Did it just crash and burn after the first year?

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Whatever happened to Field Day; wasn't that going to be a big festival in nyc? Did it just crash and burn after the first year?

I remember the first one they tried to organize was on Long Island, near my hometown. I was living in NYC at the time. I couldn't have ben more excited.
    It had an amazing line-up. It could've easily rivaled Coachella as possibly one of the best lin-ups ever. It surely would've given Long Island something it most desperately needs. However, the people of Suffolk County didn't let it go through as the organizers couldn't get proper insurance or security or some shitty like that. It was considered one of the biggest failures in the history of music festivals. It still went off in a different location, with half the acts. The original lineup looked something like this:

"Saturday's lineup includes Radiohead, Beck, Underworld, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Beth Orton, Dashboard Confessional, Interpol, Liz Phair, Tortoise, Thursday, the Raveonettes, Ben Lee, My Morning Jacket, Gemma Hayes and 22-20s.

Beastie Boys, Sigur Rós, the Roots, Blur, the Streets, Elliott Smith, N.E.R.D., Peanut Butter Wolf, Blackalicious, Le Tigre, the Music, Polyphonic Spree, Luna, the Sea and Cake, Particle, Ours, and the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players round out Sunday's performers. "

I believe Royksopp was also on saturday's lineup as well as many other artists i'm forgetting about over the whole weekend (Bright Eyes)

Needless to say, it did crash and burn and was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

sure, the lineup didn't have as many bands as a festival as big as coachella, but what I enjoyed most about this kind of festival was that there usually was only two stages. So, while one stage was playing the other was setting up, which made it easy to catch all of the bands playing. no conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Be the Riottt
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned that until now, Riottt! was a great time this year (well I guess last year, even though it was only 3 months ago)... Clipse, Sage Francis, Rapture, and Metric just to name a few acts.

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    I remember the first one they tried to organize was on Long Island, near my hometown. I was living in NYC at the time. I couldn't have ben more excited.
    It had an amazing line-up. It could've easily rivaled Coachella as possibly one of the best lin-ups ever. It surely would've given Long Island something it most desperately needs. However, the people of Suffolk County didn't let it go through as the organizers couldn't get proper insurance or security or some shitty like that. It was considered one of the biggest failures in the history of music festivals. It still went off in a different location, with half the acts. The original lineup looked something like this:

"Saturday's lineup includes Radiohead, Beck, Underworld, Spiritualized, Thievery Corporation, Beth Orton, Dashboard Confessional, Interpol, Liz Phair, Tortoise, Thursday, the Raveonettes, Ben Lee, My Morning Jacket, Gemma Hayes and 22-20s.

Beastie Boys, Sigur Rós, the Roots, Blur, the Streets, Elliott Smith, N.E.R.D., Peanut Butter Wolf, Blackalicious, Le Tigre, the Music, Polyphonic Spree, Luna, the Sea and Cake, Particle, Ours, and the Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players round out Sunday's performers. "

I believe Royksopp was also on saturday's lineup as well as many other artists i'm forgetting about over the whole weekend (Bright Eyes)

Needless to say, it did crash and burn and was one of the biggest disappointments ever.

sure, the lineup didn't have as many bands as a festival as big as coachella, but what I enjoyed most about this kind of festival was that there usually was only two stages. So, while one stage was playing the other was setting up, which made it easy to catch all of the bands playing. no conflicts.
    Oh my God. Radiohead, Sigur Ros, ELLIOTT FUCKING SMITH all on the same weekend? Plus all those other great acts, but those three. Damn. That would have been the best lineup in the history of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Oh my God. Radiohead, Sigur Ros, ELLIOTT FUCKING SMITH all on the same weekend? Plus all those other great acts, but those three. Damn. That would have been the best lineup in the history of the world.
    The people of Suffolk County are twats. There lies the evidence.
    You came here to steal our great ideas! You've been foiled, we have none.

Yeah, if only terrorists would target them instead of everyone else.