Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Ban Steve Aoki from the Sahara tent" Petition

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: The Official "Ban Steve Aoki from the Sahara tent" Petition

I actually like sebastian's glitchier stuff. His Bossy remix is fucking killer. I don't like it his straight housier stuff though. He kind of skirts the edge of a couple French scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    And you're completely wrong about any or even most electro house DJ's leaning on Daft Punk tracks today.
    i couldn't disagree more, which is not to say that dp gets dropped in every single set by any means, but i guarantee you no other group gets more throwback love in electro/house dj sets than dp. my guess is if you're not keen on them you wouldn't acknowledge the fact if even if it had some truth to it...such is the way of the message board haters. considering the fact that both of claims are impossible to substantiate i guess its a moot point anyways.

Young blood

Justice is awesome. I think "someone" is just jealous of their awesome beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    I don't know about that, people were stoked on the album when it first came out, getting over their live show and ego shouldn't change whether or not those people like their produced music. I really like Justice, but I don't want to see them until they release new material, their cd is played out, but it doesn't change the fact that I think they release a good full-length album (which it seems a lot of electro/house artists lack doing these days), and am excited to hear what they release next. And I was more talking about Ed Banger as a whole anyway. I don't know if you have heard SebastiAn, you may or may not like it, but you should check it out.

I'll have to listen to it when I get home from work. I've seen the name before but I can't quite remember what it sounds like...
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche

also recommend his remix of testarossa by kavinsky (you probably heard this if you played GTA4) as well as sexual sportswear by sebastian tellier.

lol, yeah, GT4, that one for sure. I like that track a lot.

Ok, time to do some homework
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
    i couldn't disagree more, which is not to say that dp gets dropped in every single set by any means, but i guarantee you no other group gets more throwback love in electro/house dj sets than dp. my guess is if you're not keen on them you wouldn't acknowledge the fact if even if it had some truth to it...such is the way of the message board haters. considering the fact that both of claims are impossible to substantiate i guess its a moot point anyways.
    If your argument is that a lot of DJ sets that more people hear contain DP these days then your argument may stand up to a small amount of scrutiny. By this I mean that 50k people may hear someone like deadmau5 or other superstar DJ play a remix or something. Or maybe a bunch of drunk chicks may rock out to some DJ in a bar dropping a bootleg.

But if you consider the scene (i.e. the general direction and progress of EDM), and the vast majority of professionals who have more freedom to play what they want instead of what they have to, DP has almost none of the relevancy that they did 3-4 years ago during their resurgence.

In any reasonable club where people came for the music you'll likely hear groans at a DP track (unless everyone's too fucking hammered or trying to get laid).

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Justice is awesome. I think "someone" is just jealous of their awesome beats.
    No you're wrong. I'm jealous because I want them in me.

I want them in me.

either help me make this happen or get lost.

Young blood

I heard they refuse to acknowledge "break" dj's because like everyone else they have moved on from the 90's, but ill do my best.

I heard they refuse to acknowledge "break" dj's because like everyone else they have moved on from the 90's, but ill do my best.
    An accusation of stale music would be rich coming from Justice, but I'll grease up for them anyway. I don't even want them to wash the French off of themselves.

btw I only play happy hardcore and clownstep now. Get with the program

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
    hearing every dj play a daft punk track is pretty much a feature of any electro/house dj today. sorry that some of the most respected and transformational house artists have become permanent fixtures in electro/house sets but thats the reality of life in this branch of edm so deal with it.

...i have yet to hear a single legitimate and substantive claim as to why ed banger sucks. why there are so many polemicists on these boards is a mystery to me but i guess ed banger is an easy target cuz they're so loved.
    based on this, your opinion means nothing. you obviously have shitty taste in music. and don't bother responding, b/c like i said.....your opinion means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeartlee View Post
    But I've made the arguement before that if Ed Banger was some obscure little label that no one knew of, nobody would have such strong feelings against them.
    that's b/c we wouldn't be subjected to the horrible music.

The biggest tragedy is that there's some solid electronica coming out of France these days but those buffoons get most of the publicity.
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Leeartlee View Post
    But I'd take a Justice live show any day over a set by Tiesto or Armin Van Burren.
    This means absolutely nothing. It's like saying..."I'd take a Nickelback show any day over a Backstreet Boys show."

Alright, who was comparing Spaghetti and Ed Banger?

I was and still am a fan of artists in the Ed Banger label. I may throw myself in a trash bin if forced to listen to Genesis on that Cadilac commercial one more time. Other than that, the artists on that label strike a positive and upbeat tone for me.

I can relate to everyone on that label simply because their sounds are like street music made by people from the street. Tiesto's a great DJ, but his performance is so sterile and it makes me think of a Vegas magic show.

We can discuss creativity and music composition with regards to Ed Banger artists, but it comes down to people dancing: not meatheads who bromantically hug and ear tongue one another. It's about fans who are banging their heads, jumping up and down, and are truly being entertained.

I'm drinking and smoking and guess what? So is Sebastian and Busy P. They are performing (quite well), but they are also partying with the crowd and making it an event.

Steve Aoki needs to regroup and get down to basics. Yes, he can promote, yes he can produce, and yes he can add people on his label, but he most needs to evolve his DJ skills.

I would love to be in a room watching him laying down mind blowing tracks ala Deadmau5 essential mix for a couple of hours, then turn it around into the free vodka fest.

I continue to wait and remain optimistic.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Young blood

An accusation of stale music would be rich coming from Justice, but I'll grease up for them anyway. I don't even want them to wash the French off of themselves.

btw I only play happy hardcore and clownstep now. Get with the program
    Alright I spoke with Justice and they said you lay down some wonky funkstep, ONLY R&B jams, and they are in.

Alright I spoke with Justice and they said you lay down some wonky funkstep, ONLY R&B jams, and they are in.
    only if they're then out. then in. then out again. in....out..in.......

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    I don't hate Ed Banger and co. because it's "the cool thing to do".

I hate Ed Banger because it's very unoriginal and sounds like complete trash. Seriously. Hearing almost every DJ play a Daft Punk track at Coachella 08 got old after day 1.
    <this>

Been liking this for a while also Busy P's dj sets in my opinion are pretty eclectic.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    based on this, your opinion means nothing. you obviously have shitty taste in music. and don't bother responding, b/c like i said.....your opinion means nothing.
    inane and useless commentary!

everyone is entitled to their own opinion

yes, but not everyone's opinion matters

Obviously, otherwise we would have to take your constantly pessimistic opinions, that serve no purpose but putting other people down seriously.

finally! something we can all agree on!

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

...I can't believe there's a conversation about edbanger happening as though the label/genre/movement is still relevant. it was a trend. it's over. I was skimming down this page and saw the post with the walkman video and I thought 'oh, old friggin' thread'. and then I looked at the post date and almost spit out my coffee. you know when ed banger was fun? when it was sebastian and kavinsky opening for daft punk in the summer of 2007. THAT's when it was awesome. and it WAS awesome, and I've got my big black poster and I'll always remember it. but jesus christ. this whole ed banger, steve aoki's label (whatever it's called), american apparel, stella-swilling, kifa-sporting douchebag phase is dead to all but its' most staunch participants. some of whom are apparently on this board

I buy American Apparel because they carry my size.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Yeah, we shouldn't be complaining about this stuff. Just because most of us like to stay on top of our music, it doesn't mean that everyone else in the world does. Yes, they may be late and all but it's best to just let them be.
    Chuck Norris has the best poker face of all time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite having in his hand a Joker, a 6 of Clubs, a Get Out of Jail Free Monopoly Card, his drivers license, and a Green Uno Card.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefachink View Post
    Yeah, we shouldn't be complaining about this stuff. Just because most of us like to stay on top of our music, it doesn't mean that everyone else in the world does. Yes, they may be late and all but it's best to just let them be.
    Wow, seriously shut the fuck up. I have listened to stuff from Ed Banger from the beginning. I agree that I don't want to see any of the artists until new material is released. But I don't understand how some of you people loved an album from an artist and then all the sudden despise it. I mean I get over-playing it and what not, but I doubt the albums all the sudden sound different.

Quote Originally Posted by Egull View Post
    Wow, seriously shut the fuck up. I have listened to stuff from Ed Banger from the beginning. I agree that I don't want to see any of the artists until new material is released. But I don't understand how some of you people loved an album from an artist and then all the sudden despise it. I mean I get over-playing it and what not, but I doubt the albums all the sudden sound different.
    It's not that people "loved" ed banger and now "despise" it. It's just that their sound has absolutely no staying power. It's fun the first couple times you party to it, but that's it. I'm not gonna listen to this shit in the car on the way to work. I'm not gonna live an ed banger lifestyle. My music world is not gonna revolve around ed banger. Ed banger should not constitute even 5% of the music anyone listens to.

I think Franki Chan is behind all the Aoki "hateorade." Seriously, one good thing about Aoki at Coachella is that if he is there, so will Cory Kennedy be there and Cory kennedy is one od the hottest girls in the world.