Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Ban Steve Aoki from the Sahara tent" Petition

Default Re: The Official "Ban Steve Aoki from the Sahara tent" Petition

Go for it. I think higgybaby said it first actually. Spread the word of Aoki's mehpicness.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Guy Gerber - 10/29 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Fun Fun Fun Fest -11/7 - 11/9 - Auditorium Shores
    Thee Oh Sees - 11/11 - Hotel Vegas
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

just realized i went to high school with steve aoki.

fuck you guys, steve aoki's set was awesome.
    rowboat.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksand View Post
    FIRST BAN SHEPARD FAIREY

then do what you will. seriously dude, shepard fairey was clueless as to what he was doing.
    Wrong. But everyone has an opinion.

That motherfucker refused to go home!
    If you don't like me, you can kiss my whole asshole

Friday:The Avett Bros, Yeasayer, La Roux, The Whitest Boy Alive, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, She & Him, Deadmau5, Jay-Z

Saturday: Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, the XX, Dirty Projectors, Major Lazor, MGMT, The Dead Weather, Hot Chip, Muse, 2ManyDjs

Sunday: Local Natives, Deerhunter, Miike Snow, Phoenix, Julian Casablancas, Infected Mushroom, Spoon, Sly & The Family Stone, Gorillaz

I watched a good 45 minutes of his set to see if he'd drop anything by the actually GOOD artists on his label (i.e. Beetroots, MSTRKRFT, Shinichi Osawa, etc.) or his remix of "She Loves Everybody" by Chester French (which is a decent electro house remix) but yeah... Seeing him sing along to Killing In The Name has to be one of the most awkwardly surrealistic things I have ever witnessed.

Say what you want about how much of a shitty hack DJ he is, but at least Aoki had a crowd which is more than I can say about Supermayer given the photos I saw. But yeah, Aoki was completely outclassed by EVERYONE ELSE in the Sahara with the exception of maybe Shepard Fairey.
    Upcoming Shows:
    ???

6x Coachella Attendee (2007 - 2011, 2014a)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Andrew WK was in the tent this year?
    on a WK side note. As I was exiting Saturday night, one of the guys handing out the flyers was wearing an Andrew WK shirt (the bloody nose one).

I screamed, "I GET WET" at him. And he had no idea what I was talking about.

also, Steve Aoki sucks and i hate it when dj's spin metal, its so goddamn lame.

Shouldn't most of us (at least those from LA) know better than to go near the Sahara when Aoki or Perry are scheduled?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksand View Post
    FIRST BAN SHEPARD FAIREY

then do what you will. seriously dude, shepard fairey was clueless as to what he was doing.
    I thought that was the JACK FM tent

Someone needs to make a "STOP ENCOURAGING STEVE AOKI" t-shirt.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by WizardIsAboutToDie View Post
    Shouldn't most of us (at least those from LA) know better than to go near the Sahara when Aoki or Perry are scheduled?
    i knew enough to stay away...mr ferrall made me walk away from Thievery Corporation
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

His set was pretty enjoyable. It felt good to let loose and mindlessly just dance. But I'd have to agree with you guys on that one .. the last 20 minutes or so was very lame.
    Chuck Norris has the best poker face of all time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite having in his hand a Joker, a 6 of Clubs, a Get Out of Jail Free Monopoly Card, his drivers license, and a Green Uno Card.

Coachella Junkie

bump

i will not let this thread die.

You guys just don't get it. Steve Aoki is one of the greatest artists of the 21st century. When he screams, he screams for all of us. Feel the rage!!

Assuming that Aoki has his vocal chords removed, I will totally go see him again.

Steve Aoki for 2010-2020!

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    bump

i will not let this thread die.
    please dont! steve aoki was just horrible! what was up with him just screaming?

when he played rage...i left

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I watched a good 45 minutes of his set to see if he'd drop anything by the actually GOOD artists on his label (i.e. Beetroots, MSTRKRFT, Shinichi Osawa, etc.) or his remix of "She Loves Everybody" by Chester French (which is a decent electro house remix) but yeah... Seeing him sing along to Killing In The Name has to be one of the most awkwardly surrealistic things I have ever witnessed.

Say what you want about how much of a shitty hack DJ he is, but at least Aoki had a crowd which is more than I can say about Supermayer given the photos I saw. But yeah, Aoki was completely outclassed by EVERYONE ELSE in the Sahara with the exception of maybe Shepard Fairey.
    I was in the beer garden at the time and I actually got up slugged that beer down and left when Aoki went on. His music career will stretch as long as his lil' penis.... Not Very long.... Die in a fire Aoki and scream all you want there!

Supermayer was on quite early which was a lil disappointing but they were awesome. I totally wish they were billed like around 4ish. There were a lot of factors as to why it wasnt packed for their set.
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

I'll sign and also add a request to ban Sandstorm from EVER being played again. People ate it up when Zane Lowe dropped it but it made me cringe as bad as Uffie did last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

ugh

I had fun during his set up until the end. I knew what to expect from him... not much. I also agree that all those people who got down for sandstorm and jumped up deserved to be shot lol

i'm signing this under the condition that we replace aoki with Andrew W.K.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Lurker

I never realized E could make people so bitter.

I thoroughly enjoyed his set and I'm suprised to see him so bastardized here, especially since he such a big supporter of everything you guys are claiming he is ruining.

I'm a bit taken aback by all this electornica-purism going on in this thread.

No wonder the genre never takes leaps and strides.

His set was ass.

At one point he actually played Killing in the Name Of and sang the vocals. And I don't mean he mixed it...he fucking pressed play on the master track and sang the vocals.

Fuck's sake, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

Music:
    I'll agree with everything that has been posted so far. He called his set in.

Theatrics:
    Everything but the kitchen-sink indeed.

The seven girls who were dressed like Japanese farmers in the blazing heat. They were heavily coaxed, only 1 girl was totally into it (top of speakers right hand side). Seeing the girls being pushed from the back of the stage to come out and perform another shtick kind of pissed me off.

Then there was the MC/rapper in the suit that introduced him. I would have been ok had this person introduced Steve then came back on stage later to do one song. Your going to allocate a percentage of your Coachella time for one of your artist to perform? They hired YOU Steve to fill that tent.

The short guy with the t-shirt gun and his entourage. I have a really good memory for people and things. That little bastard on the t-shirt gun was the same guy who cut in front of 50+ people (including me) at Cinespace last year and actually started yelling at a girl who called him on it. "Hey, I'm getting in right now, deal with it!" Even worse, he pulled that shit in front of security, who just let him in.

Diving off the speakers. Steve, your gonna kill yourself! I especially liked your jumps in which you pushed your knees into your chest.

A silver cape? Steve, Donate that thing to the Goodwill. There are plenty of homeless people on Hollywood Blvd who could use it.

Screaming on the microphone. This is part of his act and I can appreciate it. The issue in the tent was that he was screaming to scream in order to pump up the crowd versus him usually being in a drunken stupor and screaming/sings out for the love of the song. Scream from your heart, not by what you see.

I found the dragon was too cheesy because it was a cheaply made dragon and the people in it were just humping around with no instruction on how to maneuver it. Credit to the person who was moving the mouth to the song the second time they came out.

The rubber rafts. Why? OK, it created excitement as people moved the girls around the rafts. You have to pump up the crowd enough that the entire tent is going to be into this versus having the girls fall off because people in the back were not as into it. Dive by yourself, have the girls dive but leave the rubber rafts at home.

Overall;
    Please keep posting the cruelest things you possibly can about his set and hopefully he reads whatís being said. He did not respect the music on this day.

Iíve seen him before and he has skills. He deserves to come back, only on the condition that he remembers why he was there. Do your set and leave. Introduce the Bloody Beetroots because they are on your label but then leave. Go hang out in VIP and get drunk or come off the stage and watch the performance in the tent with your fans.

I vote that he comes back.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    His set was ass.

At one point he actually played Killing in the Name Of and sang the vocals. And I don't mean he mixed it...he fucking pressed play on the master track and sang the vocals.

Fuck's sake, man.
    he is such a fucking poser. how many times are djs going to keep dropping killing in the name of/master of puppets remixes?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

have you seen this guy's email inbox?

COACHELLA '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11

08/09 - Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
    08/12 - Sigur Ros
    08/24 - Shlohmo
    09/01 - FYF Fest
    09/11 - Swans
    10/06 - Mono
    10/13 - The XX

Haha seriously! I think it's sorta played out by now. Meh.
    Chuck Norris has the best poker face of all time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite having in his hand a Joker, a 6 of Clubs, a Get Out of Jail Free Monopoly Card, his drivers license, and a Green Uno Card.

Oh, and it was really lame to hear Steve AND 2 other djs in the first two days do Thunderstruck. Isn't there anything else to play?

I swear every time I walked by the Sahara I would just hear that damn annoying "I was shakin shakin shakin" repeated over and over and over.
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)
    11/09 - Slowdive - Ace

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    I'll sign and also add a request to ban Sandstorm from EVER being played again. People ate it up when Zane Lowe dropped it but it made me cringe as bad as Uffie did last year.
    ahhhhh donald that was sooo stupid! sandstorm really? I was waiting for the beatroots when i heard it. Just Horrible

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillaChella76 View Post
    Wrong. But everyone has an opinion.
    Dude seriously sounded like he was changing the dial on a radio. Barely added to the songs he "mixed". He didn't even look at the crowd, he just sort of mouthed half of the words to the shitty songs he played, and went from hit song to hit song every 2 minutes, adding a couple bass booms here and there. The last 10 minutes of his set he just pressed play to a shitty Ramones song or some bullshit and threw T-shirts into the crowd. Dude was totally clueless.