Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Coachella 2009

Default Thoughts on Coachella 2009

I'll write more later, I'm still exhausted

1. Perry was awful, awful awful on that Thievery Corporation song. Very bad

2. Very different vibe this year

3. Art was good, loved the snake thing, but not as good as years past IMO

4. Lights on Sunday were amazing. Why did they wait on those?
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Default Re: Thoughts on Coachella 2009

overall, friday, which i expected to be the best, was the worst coachella fail i've ever experienced. only enjoyed what little set We Are Scientists were given, fell asleep during Conor/Cohen. woke up to my friends screaming at me to go see a disappointing paul. heard wings songs, blasted my ass outta there to catch the only other decent acts that day, Ghostland Observatory & The Crystal Method. also pissed about Gui Boratto/We Are Scientists conflict.

saturday sucked a phatty because i didn't get to go, and that was the one day i was most looking forward to via The Killers & The Chemical Brothers. sad panda.

sunday i didn't even expect to be going until last minute. got there for PB&J, caught some of YYY's ultra-boring set, swung over to Devendra Banhart (s3xxx), My Bloody Valentine (loudest.band.ever), a little bit of Robert Smith's birthday set, and a whole bunch of running between that, Throbbing Gristle, and Etienne de Crecy in FAIL attempts to find friends.

overall, my worst coachella. not necessarily the worst festival lineup or anything, just had a real crappy weekend. thank god for MBV.

Gui Boratto better be back next year along with Mau5 and BBS.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    I'll write more later, I'm still exhausted

1. Perry was awful, awful awful on that Thievery Corporation song. Very bad

2. Very different vibe this year

3. Art was good, loved the snake thing, but not as good as years past IMO

4. Lights on Sunday were amazing. Why did they wait on those?
    what were the lights on sunday?

I didn't like that they changed the outdoor theatre food court....all the vendors in there were different...and what was up with that Stuffed Pizza place? Charging 7 bucks for a tiny slice of pizza.....dude, I <3 Spicy Pie or no pizza booth at all.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    overall, friday, which i expected to be the best, was the worst coachella fail i've ever experienced. only enjoyed what little set We Are Scientists were given, fell asleep during Conor/Cohen. woke up to my friends screaming at me to go see a disappointing paul. heard wings songs, blasted my ass outta there to catch the only other decent acts that day, Ghostland Observatory & The Crystal Method. also pissed about Gui Boratto/We Are Scientists conflict.

saturday sucked a phatty because i didn't get to go, and that was the one dayi was most looking forward to via The Killers & The Chemical Brothers. sad panda.

sunday i didn't even expect to be going until last minute. got there for PB&J, caught some of YYY's ultra-boring set, swung over to Devendra Banhart (s3xxx), My Bloody Valentine (loudest.band.ever), a little bit of Robert Smith's birthday set, and a whole bunch of running between that, Throbbing Gristle, and Etienne de Crecy in FAIL attempts to find friends.

overall, my worst coachella. not necessarily the worst festival lineup or anything, just had a real crappy weekend. thank god for MBV.

You're a tool.

"Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt."

What's that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post

saturday sucked a phatty because i didn't get to go, and that was the one day i was most looking forward to via The Killers & The Chemical Brothers. sad panda.

here is your problem...you didnt see THE PRESETS

edit: that being said, if you or anyone walks away from coachella not feeling satisfied it completely 100% your own fault. bad decisions maybe just a negative attitude, who knows. dont go next year more room for me!

as for me, amazing weekend as always 8 years running.
    Last edited by Sonicifyouwantit; 04-20-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

wow yeah devin sorry to hear you had such a lame time, maybe coachella isn't your thing. I thought it was the best coachella i have been to in my 9 years of attending the festival.

and the yeah yeah yeahs and paul mccartney AND leonard cohen were all awesome. you have no idea what you're talking about.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

there seemed to be a lot more art

Overall, I did not think Coachella '09 was as good as '08. Here's some of the positives and negatives of Coachella '09:

+'s

-The weather was GREAT.
    -All three headliners put on worthwhile shows. The Killers are better live than they are on their albums. Each headliner had me in tears at different times.
    -Joss Stone was a pleasant, wonderful surprise.
    -YYY's put on a great show.
    -The lasers in the Sahara were better than ever.
    -The smaller name Sahara DJs were good (Drop the Lime especially)
    -The portapotties were cleaner than last year.
    -It was great to be able to see The Orb. The Gobi was perfect for them.
    -The Thai stand in the VIP area was delicious!
    -Almost everything was recyclable
    -Coachella is always a good time, regardless of who's playing.

-'s

-Incompetent event staff this year. I got sent to multiple places to check in for camping and multiple places to pick up my guest package. No one seemed to know what was going on.
    -Security was actually TOO lax. No pat down? Are you sure? Someone could have a pistol and would never get caught.
    -Sound problems. The main stage sound quality was very inconsistent and the Mojave had a blown speaker all of Sunday.
    -The Dome was disappointing. Too much dubstep!! The afterhours parties there were dark, grungy, and grey. The afterhours DJs did not seem to be the same as the ones that played during the day. They were not good and played many of the tracks on friday and saturday night.
    -No metal water bottle was available, as advertised.
    -All the good shirts (of average size) sold out before Saturday.
    -Many of the big name sahara acts weren't very good (e.g. Etienne de Crecy, MSTRKRFT...)
    -The visuals in the Sahara were terrible in the daytime. You couldn't see the screens during the day, so why were they running?
    -THEFT. I got over $100 and my Sunday tickets stolen from me. I personally met two other people who had things stolen from them.
    -Some of the art seemed...unfinished. The bird thing especially. It was much smaller than pictured in the booklet and did not seem to respond to people.

I'm going to continue attending Coachella every year possible, it's a wonderful event. Even this year I cried multiple times from moving performances. I just hope it improves.
    Last edited by Spongehead56; 04-21-2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added more +'s and -'s
    '08,'09

no bus

The sahara seemed wider but not as long as it used to.

All in all another Epichella to me!!!

Brought some more newbies this year and they have been converted!

It's great being able to make new Coachella true believers every year!

For me Cohen was amazing, Sunset at the outdoor stage with him was mesmerizing. I felt like I was in one of those surrealistic German films. Definitely one the highlights of my day!

But all in all loved everything!

Only question, WHERE WAS THE WATER SCULPTURE THINGY i read so much about??!!??

Talking Re: Thoughts on Coachella 2009

I really feel for those who didn't have a good time at Coachella...I had an unbelievable time...I agree that the Dome had a lot of dub step but it was at least real grimey and gritty. The Sunday night camping drum circle was EPIC...and I loved bouncing around from show to show.

Ok I have one question for everyone that I have been curious about...a few of my buddies I was with also said they weren't that big on MSTRKRFT'S performance...Was I at a different Sahara tent? Maybe since this was my first time seeing them I had nothing to compare it too but the house was rocking and having grown up in the electronic world I thought it was awesome...Not Etienne of course but thats a whole other story. Oh and did anyone see Groove Armada, their set was siiiiiiiick!

Overall had a blast with old and new friends...and was extremely happy with the experience...there was a very good vibe among the people there....i mean after the cure there was like a 500 person drum circle on an art installation and we were throwing each other up in the air. pretty rad

WHAT UP COACHELLA PEOPLE!!!!!!!

this was my first Coachella and it will not be my last... I loved everything about it... I got ther late on friday...just in time to see Paul but Saturday was the SHIIITTTT!!!! I got there around 3-4pm went directly into the beer garden to the right hand side of the main stage, the one with the Heineken igloo tents. my friends and I sat on the grass pounding beer and smoking J's, we then started walking towards the Sahara tent where TRVS & DJ AM were putting on the fckin best show ever.. while at the sahara there was a so many people so we just pushed our way to the middle of the crowd witch was crazy to do but we did and smoked with all the people around us... by far the best festival I have ever been

Quote Originally Posted by jport View Post
    WHAT UP COACHELLA PEOPLE!!!!!!!

while at the sahara there was a so many people so we just pushed our way to the middle of the crowd witch was crazy to do but we did
    This is not cool to do. People waited for good spots and you were rude for pushing your way to the front.
    '08,'09

Quote Originally Posted by Spongehead56 View Post
    -Incompetent event staff this year. I got sent to multiple places to check in for camping and multiple places to pick up my guest package. No one seemed to know what was going on.
    Spongehead, I felt so bad passing you by in the van after dropping you off a mile and half back (this after being stuck in traffic for over an hour). That was a ridiculous way to start off the festival. You and your girlfriend looked so pissed when you were at that one entrance and couldn't get in that way.

Overall I enjoyed 08' a little more but it was still a blast and I met some awesome people.

Dear Goldenvoice:

+'s

Bathrooms, while there seemed to be less trailer pottys, were cleaner than last year. Yay.

Water bottle refill thing ruled. I only waited in line for water more than 30 seconds one
    time.

Beverage options at the little Gatorade carts were good this year.

-'s

The line on Friday to get in was retarded. It shouldn't take an hour to get in. The security team failed hard here. There were several unopened lines and I saw at least one bitch sitting in a chair yapping on her phone. Get off your fucking phone and let us in!

Parking. Seriously, only one exit per lot? I suspect this may have to do with the retards at the Indio PD, but still. It's time to get a park and ride program going. Turn one of those lots-maybe lot 2-into a shuttle bus area.

I didn't spend any time in the dome. I realize it was probably for the campers and I don't know how it went over, but to me it looked like a daytime failure. I only saw a few people in it each time I walked by. I'm wondering if that money could have been better spent elsewhere-especially since you have the Do Lab-which bled over something awful into the mainstage.

For God's sake, put some shade over in the outdoor area. Please. If you don't want to ruin the "theater" atmosphere by putting shade tents over there, stick some tiki-like umbrellas in the grass towards the back so people can sit in the shade.

What was with some of the people that had lawn chairs with them (we saw at least two couples with lawn chairs)? It would be great if you had a section over at the mainstage where people could set them up.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

seemed like less people, less lines, and not as much headaches

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicifyouwantit View Post
    here is your problem...you didnt see THE PRESETS

edit: that being said, if you or anyone walks away from coachella not feeling satisfied it completely 100% your own fault. bad decisions maybe just a negative attitude, who knows. dont go next year more room for me!

as for me, amazing weekend as always 8 years running.
    you guys always jump to conclusions, like that i think this is somehow "the festival's fault". i even recognized in my own statements that the weekend sucked not necessarily because of the lineup or artists, but because of (obviously, because this is implied by it being a personal experience, assholes) MY choices in which bands to see, as well as my bad situation with my travel partner.

jeeze. get a grip people, just because you post on a message board does NOT mean you either own this festival nor can kick anyone out of it. take the stick out of your ass and plunder somewhere else kids.
    LOL! <33
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

and fyi, if you think YYY's even TOUCHED their 2006 set or anything previous, performance-wise, YOU are a fucking tool. get off my back and go jack off to karen-o deepthroating a mic, because that's an impressive stage show after 5 years of being a band. idiot.
    LOL! <33

I loved that i found the toilets with a/c that are not in the VIP area, so now VIP is completely useless to me. I'd rather watch the music than pose.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    All in all another Epichella to me!!!

Brought some more newbies this year and they have been converted!

It's great being able to make new Coachella true believers every year!

For me Cohen was amazing, Sunset at the outdoor stage with him was mesmerizing. I felt like I was in one of those surrealistic German films. Definitely one the highlights of my day!

But all in all loved everything!

Only question, WHERE WAS THE WATER SCULPTURE THINGY i read so much about??!!??
    the one that had mist? If so i think it was the purple thing. between the mojave and the sahara

my thoughts on coachella was that it was really brochella

Yeah, that Elastic Plastic Sponge was a daytime misting fail. I think a couple drops of water came out rather than mist, but it did look pretty cool to walk through and around at night.

Mud on Friday night was pretty shitty. Good job on fixing that problem for the next 2 nights.

And the metal water bottles were pulled a couple weeks before Coachella so it should not have been a surprise that they were not available. Yeah!!! for refillable sports bottles. The lines for the free drinking fountains always looked long but not to get my refill - just wish that ALL the refill stations filled up their coolers with ice! Thank you to the refill station in the lobby area.

Dome didn't seem as great as it was 2 yrs ago- with all the bright lights around the merch, the visuals and lighting were not as nice as I was hoping. Plus it was way too dusty around that area for me to stay and chill. My lungs are shit these days.

Seriously about the lights on Sunday night. It was fucking great to lay in the grass during MBV's holocaust and check the stars through the massive lights shooting across the sky. I miss seeing the big dipper in between beams of light
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Where were the fans that sprayed water as you walked by them (last year outside of the AC'd radio tent)

Many more 1st timer's this year, not a bad thing, mmm different vibe.

SUNDAY = if you have great tattoo's you were at coachella.

inside the tents, i feel like i came across more whiny girls and angry people.
    ...listen to henry rollins.

still loved it.

Campers? I hardly knew my neighbor's this year! :[ not as friendly, must get there earlier next year.
    ++++ for the showers being open until 2am not midnight!
    '07 '08 '09 '10...

the biggest thing I noticed about this year compared to other years was the vibe. maybe it was me, but this was my least favorite coachella. I've been going since 06 and this was the first year I was camping with a lot of friends, though i've camped 3 times in the past

I did notice the influx of bros this year, and of course the older generation on Friday. I was about 40 feet away from McCartney and standing next to me was a man no younger than 79. that was nice to see.

The vibe was "chill, relax, positive" though a bit...ehhh lackluster? i dunno. other people i talked to felt it as well. The campgrounds weren't half as crazy as years past, i saw fewer raver kids, fewer costumes, fewer crazy shit. Fewer meatheads, tons of bros. I didn't meet the neighbors much. Sunday night was crazy fun involving an out of no where hook up during the cure, but my crazy stories are pretty same this year.

I have some great memories from this year, but it didn't seem to blow my mind like it has in years past. I think it's finally time for me to try another festival. don't get me wrong, I love coachella, but it seems for me, some of the magic might be gone just a bit. going for the first time in 06 was life changing.

my friends that went, all 8 people, 6 first timers all had a great time and want to come back.

Sunday evening/monday morning i was drinking in the parking lot with some really nice people from all over the world. This one guy was telling me it was his first time, loved the festival and promised to come back. he told me he was arrested that day by undercover cops that tried to sell him weed. He was taken to the jail and released and came back to the festival. He said the cops were friendly and felt really bad for having to take him in (as they were trying to nab big sellers and ecstacy) he had an amazing time, had no grudges and would be back for next year.

that is a true coachella spirit
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

was it me or did the outdoor theater stage seem a lot smaller this year?
    it used to be my favorite stage, this year something seemed a lit bit off on it..

Should be called I Hate Spicy Pie

I enjoyed 08 more than 09 for a pretty simple reason, I enjoyed the artists playing more. Last year I only caught one set that I was completely bored with (the annuals), this year I ran into much more of that

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Dear Goldenvoice:

-'s

Parking. Seriously, only one exit per lot? I suspect this may have to do with the retards at the Indio PD, but still. It's time to get a park and ride program going. Turn one of those lots-maybe lot 2-into a shuttle bus area.

For God's sake, put some shade over in the outdoor area. Please. If you don't want to ruin the "theater" atmosphere by putting shade tents over there, stick some tiki-like umbrellas in the grass towards the back so people can sit in the shade.
    Completely agree on these points. Considering this event has been going on for 10 years in the same place, you think this would be resolved by now. I guess there is almost zero motivation for GV to let people out of the event quickly as opposed to letting them in (getting in quick = more money spent on venders).

I know they will never get shade for the outdoor but it's a real shame. Many of the good early acts in the day are put at the outdoor... but the heat, my God the heat. I usually puss out after a few minutes and retreat to cover. This is the reason I love where the Do Lab is. Easy access to cooling off.
    "Without music life would be a mistake" ~Nietzsche