Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIP Was It Worth It?

Default VIP Was It Worth It?

Anyone with VIP tickets... was it worth it? If so why, if not why not.

Default Re: VIP Was It Worth It?

It never is... don't you know by now?
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

No. Never again. I spent most of my time by the railing either at the mainstage or the outdoor stage. Clean bathrooms though. But not worth 250 for upgrade.

I was in the VIP section 2 times. Fuck no that shit was not worth it.

Although it did get me fronststage a couple of times on Friday when security had no idea what the fuck was going on.

VIP is a nice place to piss and rest during down-time or when there's a main stage act playing that you want to hear but don't need to be up front for. Sneaked in on Sunday. I noticed a couple things:
    1. the richies in VIP only have to pay $3 for gatorade, while the muggles have to pay $4 now
    2. Sambazons are 2 for $5 only in VIP
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

How did you upgrade to the VIP tickets?

They were given to me, but if I had to pay I do not think they are worth it.
    Lines for food are just as long & it is crowded.

if you want to see celebrities and be around people who talk/socialize during every band, sure vip is worth it

VIP was definitely worth it for me. The thai food was great, the cocktail lounge was a welcome place to relax, the drinks were reasonably strong, and it's always fun to see celebs.

But, I did get VIP for free. So take that for what it's worth.
    '08,'09

The VIP section by the Sahara was nice. Shade!!!!! Other than that, I didn't really utilize my bracelet.

In the tents, is the VIP area that area just off to the side of the stage? I like taking photos and the only reason I would buy VIP is if I could get a better view of the band without having to make a mad rush for the rail.

socal: no, vip is vip section only near the main stage.

a few thoughts:

1. it is great people watching, and by people i mean, celebrities and people who wish they were celebrities...
    2. the food is generally really good, they have some great raw/organic/etc options, unfortunately for me, that thai place in the back of vip, which has been the best place to eat at coachella, gave me some sort of wierd wire in my food, quite nearly broke a tooth on it, and was overall completely disgusting.
    3. if you go to coachella to see/observe/be part of a scene, then yes, vip is worth it, if the lyric "its not a scene its an arms race!!!" has actual real meaning for you (patd comments aside, the lyric's context is legit, where he is commenting on how people just show up to things to show off, forgetting anythign else).
    4. people are bitches in vip, not nice, no "happy coachellaaaa!!!!" if you accidentally bump into someone its "fuck off asshole" whereas in the rest of the fest its like "hey sorry man!"; "no hey im sorry!".
    5. i took special time to get hard liquor this time, and yeah, on fri/sat each time i got a drink, they poured like half a shot of alcohol into the cup...sunday night i got 2 shots of alcohol in the cup, plus the soda...so really not valueble for the bar unless you buy 8 drinks for yourself (and at 70 bucks or so, its not worth it)
    6. if you want sidestage, buy a super tent for 5 grand, or get famous, or have someone who really really likes you get super famous...there is another way to get sidestage, but I won't share that for now...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by socalguy100 View Post
    In the tents, is the VIP area that area just off to the side of the stage? I like taking photos and the only reason I would buy VIP is if I could get a better view of the band without having to make a mad rush for the rail.
    Yes. In the Mojave and the Gobi it is on the left of the stage. I didn't go to the Sahara much, but I'm assuming it is in the same place because the performers were on the right.

I know it's also on the left on the main. I was talking to a reporter in line on Sunday - he was complaining about being a few feet from MIA's crap DJ and those damn sirens. Not sure on the Outdoor.

My question is what is up with the golf carts ferrying people around the outskirts of the venues. Do VIP's get taxied around with the golf carts or do celebrities only get that treatment. Also, what about VIP parking? How hard is it to get out of the VIP lots?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    The VIP section by the Sahara was nice. Shade!!!!! Other than that, I didn't really utilize my bracelet.
    There was a VIP section by the Sahara? Can you point it out on a map for me?
    '08,'09

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Yes. In the Mojave and the Gobi it is on the left of the stage. I didn't go to the Sahara much, but I'm assuming it is in the same place because the performers were on the right.

I know it's also on the left on the main. I was talking to a reporter in line on Sunday - he was complaining about being a few feet from MIA's crap DJ and those damn sirens. Not sure on the Outdoor.

My question is what is up with the golf carts ferrying people around the outskirts of the venues. Do VIP's get taxied around with the golf carts or do celebrities only get that treatment. Also, what about VIP parking? How hard is it to get out of the VIP lots?

that's not vip, that is sidestage.

artist camping/artist parking is pretty easy, vendor parking is easy too, but thats because they don't all come and go at the same time...

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Spongehead56 View Post
    There was a VIP section by the Sahara? Can you point it out on a map for me?
    It was in the back right of The Sahara. It was little and only a bar.

emtgreg/kicker, thanks for the vip info.

kicker, don't know about those golf carts - my guess is that they're for people who have "overindulged" or become sick. A few years ago, I went with a girl who got overheated (and not in a good way) and we left early. One of those golf carts took us back to the car. This past Saturday night, I was trying to find Lot 4 at the end of night, and I made the mistake of asking one of those golf cart guys for directions and he sent me to Lot 8 which caused me to walk about 3 extra miles. Not cool.

emtgreg - saw your Asobi Seksu photos on flickr. Check mine out:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3402122...7616002467889/
    Those are from the Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa. I was at the Troubadour show too but pics weren't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    that's not vip, that is sidestage.

artist camping/artist parking is pretty easy, vendor parking is easy too, but thats because they don't all come and go at the same time...
    I thought that was the VIP area. Are there VIP areas for the tents? If so, where? And what about the VIP parking and the golf cart thing? I was thinking about upgrading to VIP but decided against it and I'm considering it for next year.

there is no vip parking, the only parking areas are: police, artist, (most of the celebs park here too, the closest to "vip" parking they have, its secure parking with a few real security guards, not yellow shirts, dudes with guns) staff, vendor, production (the 18 wheelers), sahara tent (the $5k tents and the tent hotel), camping (lot c) and general camping (the numbered lots on the map).

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    It was in the back right of The Sahara. It was little and only a bar.
    yeah, it faced the other large beer garden right next to it, it was super small, and wasn't labeled as vip, but it was...

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

I like having the option of going in there. It's basically a glorified night club/lounge on the festival grounds.

I paid for access this year and I got hooked up last year. Yes, it's a scene but I don't mind that sometimes. The view is alright but you're just paying for the right to be with hot chicks/guys, celebs, hard liquor, and decent lavatories. The Thai Food place is overrated but not bad. Tough luck about the wire in your food emtgreg. At least they had authentic asians serving the food.

There are problems sometimes if your crew didn't all get VIP. A bit of a social divide if you will. Long-ass double-metal fence and security JUST WAITING to tell you that you don't have the right wristband. It's like looking into an internment camp sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, to me it's worth it. Why not, it's COACHELLA! I save up for this shit.
    Coachellas '08, '09, '10, '11, '12 (W1&2), '13 (W1&2)

Quote Originally Posted by socalguy100 View Post
    Anyone with VIP tickets... was it worth it? If so why, if not why not.
    VIP totally invalidated itsself when I discovered where the a/c'd poop palaces are. That was really its only positive quality.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

I would rather be in the front row than off to the side in VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post

you need artist passes for the areas you mentioned above. vip will not get you in there.

carts are for workers, people with artist bands.

getting out of the lot backstage is easy, usually a few minutes. sometimes immediately after a headliner it can take 20 or so.

yeah, it faced the other large beer garden right next to it, it was super small, and wasn't labeled as vip, but it was...
    said "margaritas" and "wine". i ordered a jameson on the rocks and the guy asked if i was irish. said "no, just drink like one sometimes", so he gave me a double shot, nice!

VIP passes are not as exclusive as "All Access" passes.

4. people are bitches in vip, not nice, no "happy coachellaaaa!!!!" if you accidentally bump into someone its "fuck off asshole" whereas in the rest of the fest its like "hey sorry man!"; "no hey im sorry!"
    FUCK THAT SHIT. So pretty much, everyone acts like a fucking snooty little cunt in VIP? Eh...not a surprise.

I loved the crowd out there on Saturday. There was a sense of love and respect amongst almost everyone that was there.

Thanks Steve. Really appreciate your response.

there is no vip parking, the only parking areas are: police, artist, (most of the celebs park here too, the closest to "vip" parking they have, its secure parking with a few real security guards, not yellow shirts, dudes with guns) staff, vendor, production (the 18 wheelers), sahara tent (the $5k tents and the tent hotel), camping (lot c) and general camping (the numbered lots on the map).
    Thanks, Good to know!
    We got a pass for parking lot A Saturday and Sunday. 1st we didn't accurately read the direction to the lot so ended up in the same traffic as general parking. Then we park (after paying $20, which it says so on the pass) only to be told we don't have the bracelets to go in the entrance! So we had to walk from VIP entrance all around to the main entrance. Missed all of TVotR cause of that. ... But was SUPER sweet getting out at night.
    So sweet, and after such hassle with traffic and walking I kept saying I'm doing VIP next year. ... but if it doesn't shave off the traffic and trek from lot 8 (where I ALWAYS end up), than Fuk it.

What's these $5K tents people talking about? Sersly?

Those golf carts spoil you real fast.

To answer OP, VIP is 100% not worth it.

Stage passes, however, are amazing.