Thread: MCCARTNEY & THE CURE'S COACHELLA LATE SHOWS UPSET POLICE

Default MCCARTNEY & THE CURE'S COACHELLA LATE SHOWS UPSET POLICE

SIR PAUL McCARTNEY and THE CURE have landed the bosses of the Coachella festival in trouble after ignoring curfew rules. READ MORE...
    SIR PAUL McCARTNEY and THE CURE have landed the bosses of the Coachella festival in trouble after ignoring curfew rules.
    The Brits played on long after their sets were supposed to come to an end on Friday (17Apr09) and Sunday night (19Apr09), and while no one pulled the plug on McCartney, The Cure were left performing through only onstage monitor speakers when they overran and the stage sound was cut.
    According to the Los Angeles Times newspaper, Coachella bosses are charged $1,000 (690) per minute.
    A spokesman for Indio police, who were monitoring the performances, claim McCartney's set sailed "50-plus minutes" past the 12.01am curfew on Friday night, while The Cure ultimately played for 33 minutes longer.
    The police spokesman, Ben Guitron, says, "Some people wanted us to (cut McCartney off). We weren't going to, but we are talking to the people responsible... If we end up having artists go a little over, there are consequences."

http://ratethemusic.com/kits

Default Re: MCCARTNEY & THE CURE'S COACHELLA LATE SHOWS UPSET POLICE

Fuck the police.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/musi...the-cost-.html

Paul McCartney's opening night set at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival won rave reviews. It also came with additional cost.

The Beatle performed for nearly three hours, delighting fans with a career-spanning set, and one that went well past the midnight curfew imposed by the city of Indio. Once the clock strikes 12:01 a.m., the charge is $1,000 per minute, said Indio police spokesman Ben Guitron. He estimated that McCartney went "50-plus" minutes after curfew.

Was there ever a thought of cutting the Beatle off?

"Believe me, some people wanted us to," Guitron said. "We weren't going to, but we are talking to the people responsible. ... If we end up having artists go a little over, there are consequences."

Guitron said it's up to Coachella promoter Goldenvoice to pull the plug, not the police, but the department does alert fest organizers as midnight approaches. "How they stop [the artists] is up to them," Guitron said.

Sunday night headliners the Cure didn't get the same extended treatment as McCartney. Sound on the band's set was eventually cut off, even as the act continued to play. Ultimately, the Cure went 33 minutes past curfew, Guitron said.

As for why the Cure was stopped and McCartney wasn't, that probably has something to do with the fact that Robert Smith wasn't in the Beatles. Pop & Hiss reached out to a Goldenvoice representative late Sunday/early Monday and will update if need be.

Blowing past curfew is a Coachella tradition. Prince last year played till close to 1 a.m., and Coachella veterans may remember Brit-rock humorists Art Brut in 2006, who told attendees that they were being charged $2,000 per song past midnight.

-- Todd Martens

Lurker

soz. didn't know chanting "we want more" would cost so much! if the cure had just played boys don't cry from the get go they wouldn't have stayed 33 minutes past curfew. (by "they" i mean most people who didn't appreciate the set list because it wasn't their greatest hits,lol.)

Whatever, Indio residents should bend over and take it for 3 days a year, given what we do for their economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Lurker

haha

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    Whatever, Indio residents should bend over and take it for 3 days a year, given what we do for their economy.
    Give me atleast 2 days of rest and you're all welcome back to do it again as far as I'm concerned!
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

What about the dome? That shit was rocking til 1247 Saturday? And then it came back on at 1 I wasnt there at 1 but when I was waiting for my friends coming from MSTRKRFT the Dome was still playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    What about the dome? That shit was rocking til 1247 Saturday? And then it came back on at 1 I wasnt there at 1 but when I was waiting for my friends coming from MSTRKRFT the Dome was still playing.
    i know...
    exactly
    the dome was bumpin allllll laaate

The Dome isnt as loud as the main stage.

"Believe me, some people wanted us to," Guitron said.

Whoever those some people are, they must be leaders of the Asshole Club. If they happened to be cops, remember what your police department was like before this festival started pumping cash into your town. Bet your budget was a whole lot smaller then. How is it that sticklers for rules get into power positions when they tend to be the shittest leaders?

I would think the cops/city wouldn't wanna shut em down after the curfews....the fines just mean more money coming into them, so they probably enjoy when acts go over.

Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    truth-we also give the over-zealous cops/security a job as well

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Nice find, I was wondering why they cut off the Cure. I also wondered why they don't let some of the Sahara acts go till 2 or 3 so the crowds would be more dispersed and rather than all leaving at midnight. With all the income Coachella brings in hopefully they'll find a way to renegotiate the Indio curfew
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Why would Indio want to negotiate? It's already been stipulated and they profit, they aren't going to work out a deal less favorable.

Prince did it longer
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    the only cocks I suck belong to black women.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    We use the term "Off-roading" when we wanna go down on a guy with a freakish bush. "Randy, should I throw some Nair to my patch?" "Nah, brah, I wanna go off-roading"

there is no curfew at the ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Huh. After McCartney went so far past midnight, especially in the wake of Prince doing it last year, I was convinced Goldenvoice had negotiated to get the curfew pushed to a later time. Didn't figure they'd want to continue eating $50,000-$60,000 for every act who runs long, and it makes the decision to have Crystal Method start at 11:25 even more perplexing.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by allyjoy View Post
    Prince did it longer

and better

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    there is no curfew at the ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .... cr****
    that's because it's out in the middle of fucking nowhere. dairy cows don't make laws.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    that's because it's out in the middle of fucking nowhere. dairy cows don't make laws.
    no thats because coachella is in the middle of a fucking town ... we have one here (coors) that is the same and they have to quit at around 10:30 i think ... thats just poor planning .... i remember the first show there was INXS and they cut them short then a few weeks later , they did the same thing to Lenny ..... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine