Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Default Re: My Bloody Valentine

I was perfectly placed by the soundbooth and the MBV sound was so fucking delicious. This was my second fave at Coachella this year, and I am not even a regular MBV fan.

They showed up that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    one of the best moments of the weekend: kevin staring at the front row of cure fans 7 or so minutes into the holocaust
    One of the best moments for me: Seeing three confused and pained cure fans angrily flipping off the stage after MBV leaves.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

I was right in the front next to the barricade for MBV. I was even next to the guy that started the chant "fix the sound." I just said out loud for them to just be patient while they wait. But the guy was a total asshole and still didnt stop. He even held up signs that he wrote in his notebook. His first sign was "fix the sound" and he held it up towards the band Im pretty sure Belinda saw all of his signs because she was close to us. Then when they did the whole the outro thing he wrote "just stop please" or something like that" 5 minutes later he wrote "seriously." then about 15 minutes later he wrote "alright you win just stop." I really wished i had a sign that said im a douche bag with a big arrow pointing at him. I think, im hoping because that would just be awesome, the band even went on with the outro so long because of the rude as people. Like a big fuck you. Because none of the bands i saw at coachella went over their time no matter how late they ended up starting.

Anyway it was my first time seeing MBV and it was good. The sound was really loud and it just consumed you. It was beautiful. But i do have to say i think the vocals could have been a little higher because I usually could not here them singing at all, though im not sure if it was because my ears drums were being raped with sound.
    Last edited by ambient sounds; 04-20-2009 at 08:30 PM.

I was ready this time. I put my earplugs in at Paul Weller. People must have dying from the sound during the holocaust.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I'm sure that band is used to pissing off people with noise. I wouldn't trip.
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

My Bloody Valentine = Sonic Rape. Heavy, heavy, heavy.

this was the experience of the weekend. People who wore earplugs= for shame, you didn't get the tr00 experience of the noise awesomeness that is mbv. I was only 4 rows back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    My Bloody Valentine = Sonic Rape. Heavy, heavy, heavy.
    Sonic Rape should be a title for an upcoming Sonic Youth album. I would buy it on principle.

I was at the middle rail, and everyone around me was going nuts. Put my earplugs in right as YMMR started, which was perfect. Everything sounded flawless with earplugs in, but when i took them out to feel the power it was just ridiculous.

That set felt like it was over in 10 minutes. The holocaust couldve gone on for an hour and I wouldnt have cared

Quote Originally Posted by wantabodylikeme View Post
    this was the experience of the weekend. People who wore earplugs= for shame, you didn't get the tr00 experience of the noise awesomeness that is mbv. I was only 4 rows back as well.
    More on this: Being near the front was a surprisingly good decision because the positioning of the speakers to the sides actually softened it a lot compared to those further out. I could hear the vocals well and that was a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by wantabodylikeme View Post
    This is stupid. Not everyone has the same hearing. I for one could not take the loudness without the ear plugs, it would have given me a headache. So for me, the plugs actually enhanced the experience.

I'm glad you are able to enjoy them without. I'm willing to bet most people can't, seeing as the decibel levels they reach can damage your hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    More on this: Being near the front was a surprisingly good decision because the positioning of the speakers to the sides actually softened it a lot compared to those further out. I could hear the vocals well and that was a nice touch.
    Yeah, I was about 10-15 people back. For a lot of the set, I though 'wow, this isn't that loud.' Then I realized that I was super close and that people even 10 rows back were probably getting blasted.

Oh, and I love how less than a day later you can just say "the holocaust" in a post and everyone knows what you're talking about!
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    The holocaust couldve gone on for an hour and I wouldnt have cared
    Earplugs made me hear it better. At the 10 minute mark or so, Kevin started making a jet noise [like the beginning of back in USSR]. It would have been nice to have heard that for an additional 3 minutes or so. It would have been very comparative to a plane landing.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Earplugs made me hear it better. At the 10 minute mark or so, Kevin started making a jet noise [like the beginning of back in USSR]. It would have been nice to have heard that for an additional 3 minutes or so. It would have been very comparative to a plane landing.
    Yeah the earplugs helped alot. Sounded perfect. They were so spot on for that section too. How did they coordinate so perfectly?!

Also, do they wear earplugs??

i loved it. i felt my eyes widen and stay wide the entire time. i was so intrigued. BEYOUTIFUL<3

I assummed they do. Then again, the ear is the last body part I was looking at on Bilinda.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

While I am sitting in pure amazement during the the holocaust some ass behind me keeps yelling "End it already!" Then after the set ended he was saying "thank God that's over". I wanted to smack him. What an idiot! He should be banned from all future Coachellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    one of the best moments of the weekend: kevin staring at the front row of cure fans 7 or so minutes into the holocaust

I was in those first 7 rows!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I assummed they do. Then again, the ear is the last body part I was looking at on Bilinda.
    Word. She's fucking gorgeous.

Yeah apparently no one around me knew what to expect, so i was explaining the set to them and when i mentioned the holocaust.....3 min. before the band went on, the looks of terror on some of their faces was priceless. I looked back to try and watch some of them react but I think quite a few ran away.

So awesome! MBV were so good, and loud! 15 minutes of noise was almost zen like. My first MBV experience live, but have been a fan for a long time. It was such a treat to see them, hear them, and be present as they simulated a friggin' 747 landing on the polo fields. Yummy! Portishead was my favorite performance last year, MBV my favorite for this year, mind blowing and soul shaking set!

The songs of theirs I recognized, I liked. That holocaust? Big fucking deal. I was bored as shit after 5 minutes. What's the point? Because they can do it? You know that if the fucking Killers had a song where they had feedback for 3 minutes, everyone would crucify them for being pretentious. That isn't a defense of the Killers, it's a critique of the pretension of MBV for masturbating for that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Antipation is half the fun [at least that's what I hear].
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

I am going to listen to My Bloody Valentine more after that show. I was already somewhat familiar with "Loveless", but god damn, that was incredible. So solid. The 20 minutes of noise were brutally fucking awesome.

I just want to know where I can get an MBV live album that is at least somewhat similar to the most intense aural experience I can remember.

I had never been a huge MBV fan. I mean, I own Loveless, but I didn't know what to expect when I went to go see them. After those 15 minutes of noise, I was left in a trance. It was one of the most musically powerful things I had ever witnessed. And to see the concentration in Kevin Shields' face was amazing.

Lurker

Kevin Shields said that the holocaust is like a sonic drug. It's suppose to drown out the auditory senses so that you actually start hearing melodies. I swear to god I heard bagpipes and other weird noises during the holocaust last night.

Or it's just supposed to make it so your eardrums never forgive you.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

They create overtones. It's pretty intense. I heard chimes at the El Rey show, and what sounded like birds. So wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Before I go to sleep I usually have some type of music playing, last night I didn't have anything on because as I was lying down I swore on my life that I something bouncing in my ears. I want them to come to california again soon