Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Default Re: My Bloody Valentine

kevin kept stepping on a pedal(about 4 times) throughout the holocaust that sounded as if a giant metal bay door upon the USS ENTERPRISE was opening up and then getting jammed halfway through...

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    kevin kept stepping on a pedal(about 4 times) throughout the holocaust that sounded as if a giant metal bay door upon the USS ENTERPRISE was opening up and then getting jammed halfway through...
    hahaha...so true

Coachella Junkie

Kevin is a genius.

MBV were incredible.

I could try to describe the holocaust, but I won't, and here is why:

This was my first seeing them, and I was excited as can be. I knew what to expect and did it without earplugs and loved every bloody second of it.

Then came the holocaust.

I have heard numerous reviews / stories / comparisons about it. So many people sayings its the sound of a jet plane taking off directly overhead. So many people saying it was pure beautiful white noise. So many people saying it was the voice of God.

I myself tried to comprehend what I had just witnessed, but I couldn't. And then I realized why: its because words simply can not describe it. You can not detail what the noise sounds like simply with words or comparisons. You just have to experience it for yourself to get it.

I did, and loved every second of it.

best set of the weekend. I could see and hear perfectly, directly in the center about 20 ft in front of the sound board. We got there during PB+J, and I got worried when I saw the family in front of me, but figured they were just staying for YYYs. NOPE. A mother, three girls no older than 16, a boy maybe 14, and a kid who was MAYBE 8 stood in front of me for MBV. it was an epic disaster.

PART 1!!!! Other parts to follow!! high quality is coming but watch anyway, sounds is good.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    MBV was so good that I spent the rest of the night wandering around in a daze. I am not joking and only exaggerating a little bit. I went to go see the Kills but I was like, what the fuck, this is nice but how can you play songs after what just happened?
    This was similar to my experience. I was kind of confused on what to do after and even contemplated going back to my tent. I think this led to my error of missing the end of throbbing gristle to see part of the sahara cube bullshit that sucked. Once I returned to the Mojave the set had ended
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Anybody see this funny guy during it?

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    In MBV's defense, shoegazing is called that for a reason. In some of the audience's defense, I don't think they realized they were getting themselves into a sonic holocaust.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmushroompie View Post
    Anybody see this funny guy during it?
    there was him, and the dude writing on the notepad with comments like:

"Stop"
    "Seriously, Stop"
    "Okay you win, please stop"

But this guy was either a Cure fan, or a self-conscious twit -- too worried to leave amongst the mesmerized MBV fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I think my favourite part of Massive Attack's set was when they

http://www.qctop.com/articles/upload/France-89097.jpg

Watch my videos, there was the guy with the dog on a stick waving it to no end. He seriously has a problem with no staying still and being up front for every act that mattered to me. I see him 2 hours later up front at Etienne De Crecy, waving his stick again.

All of the people I came with that didn't see MBV were asking me what the 15 minute noise burst was all about, and I just told them it was the most intense/amazing thing I've ever witnessed.
    weekend one

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    The songs of theirs I recognized, I liked. That holocaust? Big fucking deal. I was bored as shit after 5 minutes. What's the point? Because they can do it? You know that if the fucking Killers had a song where they had feedback for 3 minutes, everyone would crucify them for being pretentious. That isn't a defense of the Killers, it's a critique of the pretension of MBV for masturbating for that long.
    Thank God, I finally have a legit reason to label you a total douche now.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    The songs of theirs I recognized, I liked. That holocaust? Big fucking deal. I was bored as shit after 5 minutes. What's the point? Because they can do it? You know that if the fucking Killers had a song where they had feedback for 3 minutes, everyone would crucify them for being pretentious. That isn't a defense of the Killers, it's a critique of the pretension of MBV for masturbating for that long.
    I know you are being you so its cool you are being honest Rick. But come on, you know you enjoyed it for like a minute, then got bored.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'm with Tom on this one. It didn't seem right and I wasn't able to enjoy much of anything else for a good hour after MBV. I went over to Public Enemy and was like, this ain't working, not after what I just witnessed. The best way to describe it was shock. I couldn't believe my ears and it just impressed the hell out of me. I only started listening to MBV in the last few months and I don't see the point of listening to them recorded any longer. I would pay to see this band live a million times. Words can't describe it. They stole the entire weekend with their set in my opinion.

Thats why I went to The Orb and just chilled out to some beats, only way to try and process things.

HYPE

I'm with all of you. MBV pretty much ended the festival for me. Sure I went and wandered around (caught bits and pieces of other acts) - but I was just too blown away by MBV to care.

It was a nice way to end the festival.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Blazed View Post
    HYPE
    Wrong thread. Check out the Chemical Brothers thread for that.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

It sounds like a lot of us left their set not being able to wrap our heads around what had just happened. They were so unbelievably heavy while still being extremely sharp. I loved how the drums sounded like small explosions with each hit. The hype is real.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 04-21-2009 at 09:28 AM.

I went in more excited about a few other acts, but MBV completely stole the weekend for me. I was in the same boat as many of you (and TomAZ explained it perfectly). I didn't know what to do after their set, so I just bounced from stage to stage. Then I looked at artwork and went back to the campground.

It blew my mind and I wasn't even a big fan going in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by milos57 View Post
    I saw them in Santa Monica in October, and while they were wonderful as ever at Coachella, trust me, they were NOWHERE near as loud as they were at the Civic Center. Didn't need the earplugs this time around.
    word. it was as loud without earplugs this time as it was with earplugs in santa monica.

Overall I thought it was a great set. I loved the camera work on the video boards that would blur out, and then focus back in. it just worked for MBV's style.

Banned

oh yeah, and i could have sworn/am almost positive that I saw Kevin Shields during fleet foxes set, but i wasn't sure and didn't want to be a jerk and ruin his anonymity while he was wandering the crowd.

I actually put my earplugs in AFTER they finished, and wandered for about 20 minutes or so aimlessly just listening to my own ears ring. Eventually I got my wits about me and went back to see the Cure.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    It sounds like a lot of us left their set not being able to wrap our heads around what had just happened. They were so unbelievably heavy while still being extremely sharp. I loved how the drums sounded like small explosions with each hit. The hype is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    I went in more excited about a few other acts, but MBV completely stole the weekend for me. I was in the same boat as many of you (and TomAZ explained it perfectly). I didn't know what to do after their set, so I just bounced from stage to stage. Then I looked at artwork and went back to the campground.

It blew my mind and I wasn't even a big fan going in.
    Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I'm with Tom on this one. It didn't seem right and I wasn't able to enjoy much of anything else for a good hour after MBV. I went over to Public Enemy and was like, this ain't working, not after what I just witnessed. The best way to describe it was shock. I couldn't believe my ears and it just impressed the hell out of me. I only started listening to MBV in the last few months and I don't see the point of listening to them recorded any longer. I would pay to see this band live a million times. Words can't describe it. They stole the entire weekend with their set in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    MBV was so good that I spent the rest of the night wandering around in a daze. I am not joking and only exaggerating a little bit. I went to go see the Kills but I was like, what the fuck, this is nice but how can you play songs after what just happened?
    I'm with all of you.

And THIS is precisely the reason why I wanted them to close out the mainstage or the festival itself. Because you simply can't go listen to something after that holocaust. You just cant. You can only walk away with nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I love reading reactions like that! You should really try to see them in-doors. I saw the at El Rey a few days earlier, and it was just as amazing, but with one BIG difference. The bass. Nothing can compare to being shocked as you are during You Made Me Realize and having the bass vibrate your body SO HARD you actually get scared. Really though, I was getting a little freaked out with how my chest/hard/lungs might have been getting affected because of the full body/vision vibrations. That was the only thing lacking from the Sunday show. I am hardly hardly complaining however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

My Bloody Valentine+Mushrooms=The craziest show of my life...It was so good, it sounded amazing, the visuals were the best I saw which I thought would have been in the Sahara. There set was seriously so epic, if you didn't get it I am sorry that you didn't get to have the great experience some people did, but that's why there are other stages.

I could've watched Belinda play guitar the entire 3 days.

That aside, easy highlight to all Coachella. Two of my friends never really listened to them and they were floored by the show. I know a lot of people are saying it was louder indoors, but I don't know if I would've wanted it louder. I enjoyed not wearing earplugs and just soaking in those amazing songs.

As for what to do afterwards, The Orb was definitely the best call. Obviously nothing can top that MBV show, but going to The Orb and hearing "Towers of Dub" & "Blue Room" got me grinning like an idiot.

Wish I could've heard TG's "Discipline" -- just was ready to go back to camp. "Persuasion" was fucking phenomenal though, but that's for another thread...

And was "Soon" just not the best thing you've ever heard? wow.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

So funny to watch people walk by during the holocaust talking on the phone with a finger in their ear. There was no way they were having a conversation during that.

I bought earplugs from the campground the night before, two pairs for $6. Then Sunday morning they were passing at plugs from KROQ for free. I was so fucking angry.

I sat far enough from MBV so I didn't need the plugs, but when You Made Me Realise came on I had to get closer to the surround speakers. It was great, and I kept the plugs out until I couldn't bear it anymore. I think they turned up the volume in the middle of the holocaust.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

I got handed ear plugs by security when I walked in Sunday, I thought it was My Bloody Valentine related haha.