Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine

Default My Bloody Valentine

So, what did you guys think? I was pretty stunned. I thought they were great! They delivered in exactly the same way they did when I saw them back in 1989. It was an aural bashing. And while I know the threads around here joking about needing earplugs for their show ran rampant, the truth is- you better have had earplugs tonight! (I gave away two sets to some lovely ladies)

Before the comments start, I think it's probably going to happen immediately that someone will complain about the long noise overdose at the end of their set. But understand- that is what they do! The band has talked about the concept before. On the upside, even if you didn't like the neverending noise explosion at the end of their set, it definitely accomplished one great thing- everytime they paused between songs, a few Cure fans up front demanded either for their exit or just in general for the Cure to take the stage. At one point, they even started a chant. That is just goddam rude and not the first time I have seen it at Coachella (see Massive Attack before Tool). So when MVB officially launched into their final sonic assault, I think it pretty much challenged anyone up close to stay put. And it was a nice bit of 'in your face' justice to the a-holes who couldn't realize how great the band they were watching.

Anyway, there's my rant! I loved MVB tonight and they ended up being the only band whose t shirt I bought. Would like to hear some other thoughts!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: My Bloody Valentine

lol at trying to boo MBV....

i thought they sucked serious ass and wish the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had their time instead. in fact, i just wish they weren't there. everyone looked pretty morose during their set, not the finale one wants to a 3 day music extravaganza.

Quote Originally Posted by espirit77 View Post
    i thought they sucked serious ass and wish the Yeah Yeah Yeahs had their time instead. in fact, i just wish they weren't there. everyone looked pretty morose during their set, not the finale one wants to a 3 day music extravaganza.
    lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by espirit77 View Post
    Nice! And that was a first time post- welcome!

Just so you know- MBV would be very glad to know everyone was looking "pretty morose". And it was not lost on me that a lack of familiarity with the band would certainly be an issue given their high billing. So it was made that much better for me watching all these people look at each other with confused expressions. I mean- you should be able to at least make out the words to a song, right?

I also loved the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (my 5th time seeing them) and would not have minded them getting a longer set. But MBV are legends and truly delivered on their promise as a band tonight.

sonnyboy...its MBV...not MVB!

In MBV's defense, shoegazing is called that for a reason. In some of the audience's defense, I don't think they realized they were getting themselves into a sonic holocaust.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    sonnyboy...its MBV...not MVB!

I corrected it! Well, on the second post anyway. Hey it's late and I'm toast dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    ...sonic holocaust.
    Sonic Holocaust- well said! In fact, I'll be honest, even with my earplugs in their whole set my right ear is really feeling it right now. DAMN YOU MBV!

seriously. holy fuck. that was....incredible. ive never heard/felt anything like that in my life. i was third row and i could literally feel the sound going through my body and moving past me as it pushed through the air. the white noise at the end was literaly one of the most intense experiences of my life
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    seriously. holy fuck. that was....incredible. ive never heard/felt anything like that in my life. i was third row and i could literally feel the sound going through my body and moving past me as it pushed through the air. the white noise at the end was literaly one of the most intense experiences of my life
    Right? Geesus I went through so many emotions during that thing. I was angry, passive, tense, happy, reflective, impatient... on and on and on! They pushed everyone who could manage it to their limits emotionally.. whether they wanted it or not!

Look at espirit77's post for example. That's a first time post, fer chrissakes! Not only does he/she not like the band- he wishes they were never there. How many other bands provoke that kind of response? I mean, there is no arguing they can play. That their songs are catchy. That they are unique to say the least. But that final 7 minute long aural assault is what people are going to judge them on.

I had to walk to the rail up front to be as close to the speakers as possible. What a beautiful ending...Fuck earplugs!

Inside Anna Kendrick :)...okay seriously, Santa Monica

caught the whole horrors show then rushed to mbv. i saw a good twenty minutes or so
    Coachella regular from 1999, 2004, 2006-2009

Wow, first time I've ever seen MBV live and they were amazing. I was cruising the crowd and beer gardens during their set and multiple times I spit out a random, "holy shit MBV sounds so good right now" in the middle of conversations. I need to see a pure MBV show now.

very impressed! i thought it was impossible to reproduce that so well live. Was missing some of the extra overdubs of course which IMO make the album wonderful - the atonal beats washing over you - but hey, there was only 4 people on stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

MBV was so good that I spent the rest of the night wandering around in a daze. I am not joking and only exaggerating a little bit. I went to go see the Kills but I was like, what the fuck, this is nice but how can you play songs after what just happened?

They seriously exceeded my expectations tremendously. Everything was absolutely perfect. The crowd (everyone around me was loving it), the volume, the songs, the lights, and anything else you could think of. It was absolutely perfect.

Also, my ears are still ringing. Usually I wake up the morning after a show and my ears are all better, but not this morning =)

this was my set of the weekend. MBV was everything I wanted them to be. I know most people are going to say Sir Paul was the best, which is understandable. But in my world, Mbv took the cake this year.
    "You might be a king or a little street sweeper, but sooner or later you dance with the reaper."
    -The Grim Reaper

My Bloody Valentine was intense. I could feel the sound waves slapping against my body. I purposely picked a spot next to the sound board so I could hear it as best as possible and I could see the sound guy's computer monitor with all the sound levels just redlining like a motherfucker. It was fun to walk out at the end and see all the "Killer-fan" types look at each other while covering their ears and wondering what the hell they just saw.

MBV was fucking sick, it was my first time seeing them and i was completely satisfied

I was in the middle behind the soundbooth, and this guy (with his 909 girlfriend) kept screaming "am i the only one who's tone deaf? the sound guy sucks! i can't fucking hear the vocals! these guys suck!"

it was funny to see him be so confused and angry at MBV.

i however was blown away by the noise, it was intense and beautiful and overwhelming. It was an experience to remember forever.

Best set ever. I stood in the front with a couple from San Diego and a guy with a horn on his hat, which was good fun before the show started.

I watched the cure afterwards, but with this look on my face like "well this is nice, but I don't really know what you want me to do after that." When I got home I could still hear it in my ears

Quote Originally Posted by cormaic View Post
    I watched the cure afterwards, but with this look on my face like "well this is nice, but I don't really know what you want me to do after that." When I got home I could still hear it in my ears
    I had to make myself stick around for the Cure... my first inclination was to go sit in the car and listen to my ears right. HOWEVER, i'm proud of myself for staying, and ~20 minutes into the Cure, I was hooked. Fastest 3-hour set ever.
    Your stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cormaic View Post
    Best set ever. I stood in the front with a couple from San Diego and a guy with a horn on his hat, which was good fun before the show started.
    You were just to my left, then.
    Your stupid

I watched the first hour of the cure, left to see some of that cube from etienne de crecy, then came back just as disintegration started, watched that, and called it a night. The Cure was great, but I was done.

I didn't puke this time! YAY!

Coachella Junkie

MBV were just too good. It was loud, could have been a bit louder, but loud enough to make my ears ring for the rest of the night. The holocaust went on for 15 minutes (timed it) and it only felt like 3.

Them + The Orb + Throbbing Gristle was stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    MBV were just too good. It was loud, could have been a bit louder, but loud enough to make my ears ring for the rest of the night. The holocaust went on for 15 minutes (timed it) and it only felt like 3.

Them + The Orb + Throbbing Gristle was stellar.
    I saw you walk by me at the beginning of the cure with your capoeira shirt. I was sitting in the back.

I was way in the back with a few friends. I don't think all my friends liked it but most of them had never heard of MBV so they didn't know what to expect.

I thought the brain melting audio assault was pretty cool. I just laid down and stared up at the lights/stars in the sky.

I found the free ear plugs after the show....

My favorite part was laughing at all the people running away in fear from the stage periodically throughout the set. The earpluggers were hilarious too. The looks on the non MBV knowers' faces were absolutely priceless. I wish I could have documented their terror.