Thread: Indie 103.1 has tickets

Default Indie 103.1 has tickets

A local LA radio station says that they have a bunch of Coachella tickets and will be giving them away at some point in the future. If you're not local to LA, you can listen to them via iTunes. They may have a contest on their website ( http://indie1031.fm/) or they'll just have the normal 'lucky caller' thing.

Just thought I'd give a heads up to those who didn't buy in time.

good luck!

Default Re: Indie 103.1 has tickets

They are giving away tickets on lots of stations, KROQ, etc.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

do we have to listen to these stations to win the tickets?

there's a station just for indie? *eyes glaze over*
    ah oregon, you suck..

Quote Originally Posted by trowa888 View Post
    there's a station just for indie? *eyes glaze over*
    ah oregon, you suck..
    for gods sake, its just a name. youre not missing anything.

and the internets offer these for free: kxlu.com, kspc.org, and many, many more.

Yeah, "Indie 103.1" is owned by Clear Channel like nearly everything else.

Their format is slightly better than most corporate rock stations, but still pretty unlistenable.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    Yeah, "Indie 103.1" is owned by Clear Channel like nearly everything else.

Their format is slightly better than most corporate rock stations, but still pretty unlistenable.
    Indie is NOT owned by ClearChannel. I can't believe how many people spout this bullshit without doing the research.

Research it, then correct yourself (hint: wikipedia.com).

Quote Originally Posted by nueve View Post
    Indie is NOT owned by ClearChannel. I can't believe how many people spout this bullshit without doing the research.

Yeah it is not owned by clear channel. KROQ isnt either, but people think it is. Besides Clear Channel is being dismantled piece by piece as we speak. Also Live 105 in San Francisco is good to listen to. www.live105.com

Jonesy's Jukebox is the most annoying show EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by nueve View Post

Actually, 103.1 has been either owned or supported by ClearChannel through Jacor and later Entravision Communications since 1998, and then terminated their involvement with the station in 2005 after FCC intervention.

They leased the frequency through Entravision Communications in 2000 to avoid being fined by the FCC but still fronted the money for the majority of advertising and operating costs in exchange for Entravision's changing to "indie" from their dance format so as to not compete with KIIS FM, a ClearChannel station. ClearChannel purposely left the signal underpowered because their only interest in the station was that it not compete with KIIS FM.

They are still owned by Entravision, a company that is not above going into business relations with ClearChannel.

Though extremely illegal and expensive, a few RVs switching synchronized programming every few minutes with 1000 watt transmitters could put any radio station out of business. Maybe 102.7 would be a good place to start?
    Last edited by Johnford; 02-08-2008 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chronnyunitas View Post

also the morning show hosted by a...

music attorney.

a strange irony to bring everything full circle.

I only listen to college radio now.

If you want a true non-corporate all music station you should listen to KEXP (www.kexp.org) in Seattle. In the technical sense it's college radio as its hosted by University of Washington, but these days they have only a very loose affiliation with the school (you will not be bored with updates on homecoming activities or library closure information).

Check it out ... it trumps anything in SoCal.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by everlay View Post
    also the morning show hosted by a...

music attorney.

a strange irony to bring everything full circle.

I only listen to college radio now.
    aye, Joe Escalante of the punk band the Vandal's (and in Smith's cover band)is a pro-life right winger who supports Bush and his policies at every opportunity during the morning show news. He replaced the very interesting Dickie Barrett, of the Bosstones'
    http://www.lavoice.org/index.php?nam...ticle&sid=1674 at least in part for interviewing a pro choice DJ, interviewing the punker that fought in Iraq's book My War: Killing Time in Iraq, etc...

Despite the dubious political censorship and corportate ownership, they have largely nailed my demographic with the music. Steve Jones of the Sex Pistol's midday show, although meandering, should be brodcast in England too, it would be huge. The night show 'Big Sonic Heaven', is a blatent rip off of a San Diego stations 'Big Sonic Chill', but is really good anyway. The Crystal Method has a techno show, Henry Rollins has a show, (ok so does horrible Camp Freddy).

I love Indie 103.1, my only other options are KROQ (just for the morning show, music is horrible), KCRW (streaming and radio), and college stations.
    Last edited by Hawkings; 02-08-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Quote Originally Posted by chronnyunitas View Post

He is quite the character. I enjoy his show sometimes, but I must admit that I used to stricly listen to it when my roommate was in the car because I knew it irritated the fuck out of him.

Of course, I'd turn it off after five minutes. I listen longer when I'm alone. I'm a glutton for punishment.
    what?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkings View Post
    The night show 'Big Sonic Heaven', is a blatent rip off of a San Diego stations 'Big Sonic Chill', but is really good anyway.
    Big Sonic Chill from San Diego is actually based on Big Sonic Heaven which has been around for over a decade, only out in Detroit until last year. I like both, but they're on at pretty much the same time and I much prefer Darren Revel on 103.1.

Some of the DJs annoy the hell out of me, but 103.1 isn't bad overall... there's a lot worse stations out there.

Big Sonic Heaven rules. I remember tuning in one night and hearing Thom Yorke, Sigur Ros, and The Knife and thinking to myself "since when is Indie 103 actually good?", but alas, just that one show. Also the only show that plays/played Asobi Seksu.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

whiney pain in butt

Jonesy's Jukebox and Big Sonic Heaven. they both rock for different reasons.

Also I think Jonesy can sound like Eeyore sometimes, which is pretty amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
    If you want a true non-corporate all music station you should listen to KEXP (www.kexp.org) in Seattle. In the technical sense it's college radio as its hosted by University of Washington, but these days they have only a very loose affiliation with the school (you will not be bored with updates on homecoming activities or library closure information).

Check it out ... it trumps anything in SoCal.
    This man speaks the truth !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
    Big Sonic Chill from San Diego is actually based on Big Sonic Heaven which has been around for over a decade, only out in Detroit until last year. I like both, but they're on at pretty much the same time and I much prefer Darren Revel on 103.1.

Some of the DJs annoy the hell out of me, but 103.1 isn't bad overall... there's a lot worse stations out there.

Ohh, jah your right. I new the Big Sonic Chill was in San Diego before Indie got Revel's show, didn't know he had it back in 1995, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Sonic_Heaven both are pretty sweet.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

lkl

dam there back from the dead just to give away tickets
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Radio?

This thread is four years old and Indie 103.1 doesn't exist anymore except online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

the day indie died was the day i stopped listening to corporate radio. yes indie was corporate radio and did start to suck more and more over time but it was still leaps and bounds beyond kroq

now i get to listen to tin foil hat people on kpfk. if you're lucky you might hear an hour discussion on the benefits of colon cleansing. it reminds me so much of the public access radio stations i used to listen to in my days driving around vice city and san andreas. ahhh memories