Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: That misleading presale was kind of sh*tty.

Default That misleading presale was kind of sh*tty.

Seriously. How many people do you think bought presale tickets expecting The Police to be there, and how pissed do you think those people are now (referring to the LA Times confirmations of RHCP, Rage, and Bjork)?

I am a little stunned neither Smashing Pumpkins or Police are there. I mean, Rage will be amazing, but I've never gotten into Bjork, and RHCP are a bit disappointing, I feel like they're always touring.

Mostly I'm just pissed to have been so mislead. But I doubt they'll add someone of Pumpkins or Police magnitude if they're not announced officially tomorrow.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: That misleading presale was kind of sh*tty.

I think we should all wait to weigh in until we actually get the line-up officially. There could be hoaxes within hoaxes here, if you know what I mean. Also, this small leak of the line-up is terrific no matter who's not there: Rage. Bjork. Arcade Fire. Interpol. Air. Sonic Youth. The Roots. All outstanding.

That said, if this whole "bleep tha Police" thing (especially the presale password) is a joke, then that's fucking wrong, and it's a deliberate punch in the nuts to a loyal fanbase.

Well, that info was not meant to be public. Only for those in the community. Therefore the only people that were supposed to know about the presale would be those that would buy the tickets regardless of who was playing.

Those, if any, who bought tickets soley for the fact that they assumed The Police would be playing are dumb and I don't feel bad for them. It's going to be a great festival with or without The Police

the people who SHOULD of been buying presale tickets were members of the coachella community (meaning they bought tix and went last year and probably were planning to go this year regardless). GV was fucked with last year (the fake poster), so they messed you with back. I find it very funny.

I mean, yeah. It's going to be a balls-out awesome festival. I'm psyched for almost everybody mentioned in the LA Times article. But regardless, to very explicitly suggest someone will be there and coerce people to get (non-refundable) tickets on that suggestion and then basically reveal that it was a big joke is a horrible way to do business. Coachella is a major financial investment (for a poor college student like myself, anyway), and I'm not gonna lie, I'm really angry that they'd be so intentionally misleading. Jokes ain't funny when it's something like $400 out of my pocket

Again, I'm psyched regardless, and I'm holding out all judgement until tomorrow. But if they're not on the lineup, it's ridiculous.

I love the passive voice there Erik
    GV was fucked with last year (the fake poster)
    who is it that did the fucking?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

kung fo joe said it the best.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    the people who SHOULD of been buying presale tickets were members of the coachella community (meaning they bought tix and went last year and probably were planning to go this year regardless). GV was fucked with last year (the fake poster), so they messed you with back. I find it very funny.
    GV got fucked with last year how, exactly? People got super excited for the line-up announcement - which has become an adult version of Christmas for thousands of people in the world - and made a wish-list poster; therefore, they deserve vengeance? They deserve to be given hope that a favorite disbanded group is about to reunite for the festival, only to have that hope dashed, simply because they let their enthusiasm for the fest run a little awry? And sure, maybe people shouldn't buy tickets to a festival just to see one band that might play based on an assumed password clue; that doesn't mean it's not a known fact that some will do just that, and then feel severely screwed when the hint is revealed to be a falsehood. So, the lesson being taught here is - don't get too excited for this festival, and don't buy tickets until you know for sure you want to go. If that's the case, then why keep the line-up a secret, and why sell tickets before the line-up is announced if that's not what you want to happen?

Again - this is all speculative. We don't know who's playing until tomorrow or whenever KROQ/GV make it public, and it bears repeating that the acts leaked by the L.A. Times are mostly terrific. I, for one, will not in any way be ungrateful if the actual line-up is along those lines. But if the whole Police thing does turn out to be a hoax, I would like someone to explain why excited speculation on the part of the Coachella community deserves to be answered with a cruel, deliberate tease.

Dani, your avatar constantly amazes me. I like to imagine what that guy is trying to do.

the police are not playing. the password was a joke for our community people because of all the crazy rumors going around. we never said they were playing, for all you know roxanne is the name of the owner of the company's daughter.

very explicitly suggest
    Are you familiar with the definition of the word explicit?

Also - BBaller - was Rage the one you knew about but couldn't say anything?

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the police are not playing. the password was a joke for our community people because of all the crazy rumors going around. we never said they were playing, for all you know roxanne is the name of the owner of the company's daughter.
    Go ahead and say that all you want, but you're not fooling anyone. Passwords on just about every concert presale known to man are in some way tied to the acts playing. Not to mention, the word Police being bleeped in conjunction with that password would suggest....ugh. You know exactly what we're saying.

The Police not playing is not a big deal; a deliberate suggestion that they are when they're not, is. Don't worry, the message is loud and clear - we're idiots for caring so much about the festival, being cynical and indifferent to things like a line-up unveiling is the way to go. God damn. It's a good day for indie douchery.

geez, take a pill.

Yes York. Story coming later.

Fine. Call it an implicit suggestion. Though it wasn't very subtle; I'd argue that the intentionality behind it made it an explicit suggestion, as explicit as can be without saying "The Police will be there, shh!"

Doesn't change the fact that it's a majorly douchey thing to do. And it's majorly douchey because people are spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to come to this festival. If it weren't attached to a presale, it'd be a joke, not a douche-move. We deserve better. Especially those of us who are diehard fans who plan/hope to come every year.

So the Smashing Pumpkins are actually reuniting, which is old news, a new album is coming out soon, they never played Coachella, and yet we are stuck with the Chili Peppers again. Wheee.

i'm glad we were fucked with. it makes it more interesting. we're all going anyway right?

The point of the presale is that you get a discount for being willing to buy a ticket without knowing the lineup. That is precisely what it is. Pretending that you know what the lineup is going to be is a risk you take. If you don't want to to risk it, wait until the lineup is announced.

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    Fine. Call it an implicit suggestion. Though it wasn't very subtle; I'd argue that the intentionality behind it made it an explicit suggestion, as explicit as can be without saying "The Police will be there, shh!"

Doesn't change the fact that it's a majorly douchey thing to do. And it's majorly douchey because people are spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to come to this festival. If it weren't attached to a presale, it'd be a joke, not a douche-move. We deserve better. Especially those of us who are diehard fans who plan/hope to come every year.

Exactly. I don't understand what's to gain from having "roxanne" as the presale password when the implications are easy to predict and the gain is....basically....somebody on the other end of the internet has some laughs.

It's a cynical and disgusting day when people can talk themselves into believing that people deserve punishment simply for getting excited about the opportunity to see a favorite band, particularly one who hasn't played in 20 years.

If the presale password had been siamese dream, I would be crying right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post

I want to be on the forefront of change, so when the nippless revolution starts, I'm going to lead the charge.

( this is tt's girlfriend)
    It was outstanding! I am so happy the Police are NOT @ coachella. If so, my dad would have hitched a ride w/ us!! Haha. We bought tix anyway- Police or no Police because its 3 days and Coachella never disapoints. Bjork is beautiful and a breath of fresh air. Besides I havent gone to Coachella for headliners since '04. Its about the up and coming, rarities, etc. Good job Psychic Friend I applaud you.
    However if this is another smokescreen, and Bjork isnt there... i may cry dead kittens.

How many times has PF said The Police are *not* playing. Did you read the post that said it was between "ROXANNE" and "GWEN"? Yes, passwords usually relate to the artist playing, but it's not a law. As PF has said repeatedly, Police-related words were blocked to keep info about the presale from spreading. If the password has been "Sharpie" we would have been prevented from talking about permanent markers.

Quote Originally Posted by NoneForMeThanks View Post
    How many times has PF said The Police are *not* playing. Did you read the post that said it was between "ROXANNE" and "GWEN"? Yes, passwords usually relate to the artist playing, but it's not a law. As PF has said repeatedly, Police-related words were blocked to keep info about the presale from spreading. If the password has been "Sharpie" we would have been prevented from talking about permanent markers.
    Right. It's not a law that presale passwords have to indicate the group playing, but you're lying to yourself if you're saying that people are completely wrong for taking that as an indication of what could come. Yes, one should only buy presale tickets if one is sure to attend regardless of who ends up on the roster; that doesn't mean that a loaded password won't make someone go giddy with excitement and buy a ticket when they may otherwise not have been able to attend. Think about it - longtime Coachella fan can't attend this year, suddenly gets the email and realizes that a band they haven't seen in 20 years, if ever, is now playing, and thus buys a presale ticket. Obviously, not correct, but can you really blame them? And do they really deserve that just so someone can have a laugh? They can sell the ticket on eBay, of course, but that still creates an unnecessary inconvenience. Not to mention, we can put "scalping" next to "indifference" and "disloyalty" on the list of things apparently being promoted here.

Also, PF denies every board rumor, because it's her job to keep the order. That requires her to bend the truth once in a while, and we all know it; it's part of the game.

Of course I'm not 100% serious about what I'm saying, but those of you acting like this is some kind of deserved comeuppance for the hysteria of line-up season are out of your minds.

I never thought twice about the pre-sale code, I actually figured it was just someone that worked for or was related to someone at GV. Also, if you were going to buy your tickets pre-sale (as I have for the past 6 years), you buy them for the fact that you're going no matter who is playing - to experience, the whole event. I love everything about it (there are bads, but mostly goods). As it's been stated many times on this board, most people go for the undercard anyways. If you don't like the headliners, there are, at least, 3 other places to view bands/djs; plus there is always some art/food/radio/beer tent to hang out in. If all else fails, hang out and talk to your friends or people watch which is always fun at Coachella. Just have fun and don't be so bitter..GV always does a great job.
    "Yeah chicks go nuts for that... the male camel toe."
    "Yea yea! The camel tail."

Those tickets were discounted so hurry up if you still want in on that.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverMyopic View Post
    Just have fun and don't be so bitter..GV always does a great job.
    No arguments here. Coachella 2007 is going to kick as much ass as any previous years have, and maybe more so when Rage takes the stage. I'm majorly looking forward to at least half the bands confirmed so far.

Thumbs up Re: That misleading presale was kind of sh*tty.

I conquer ?SP. Its all good. let people do the job they need to do. No one owes us any favors.

you conquer what?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Think about it - longtime Coachella fan can't attend this year, suddenly gets the email and realizes that a band they haven't seen in 20 years, if ever, is now playing, and thus buys a presale ticket. Obviously, not correct, but can you really blame them?
    I agree with you on this point. If I didn't read this board and I got that email with that password, I would expect The Police to be there.