Thread: Coachella for Health/Fitness Addicts

Banned

Default Coachella for Health/Fitness Addicts

One of the toughest parts of attending Coachella for me is always the time away from my regular workout routine, and above all, getting through 3 - 4 days in grueling desert heat, not getting the proper nutrition/hydration/sleep while I'm there and feeling like death by the end of it. I feel like I end up losing at least 5 lbs and suffer atrophy from it all.

Does anybody else share the same worries? Any pointers besides the obvious "drinks lots of water" on how you get through it? Which festival foods have you found benefit you the best nutritionally?

I prefer to stock up on protein bars and any other feasible supplements that don't require mixing them with milk to get through it. I was thinking of bringing in a plastic tub of protein powder from a larger container but does anyone think security might think that's sketchy and not let it in?
    Last edited by PierogiHead; 04-13-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: Coachella for Health/Fitness Addicts

I prefer carbs to keep me going...

Banned

True but carbs alone are only going to keep you running for a short amount of time and can't keep your body sustained, though. You need a good balance of protein and some healthy fat if you're roughing it at this thing, especially. If you want to feel the effects of the carbs, you're going to have to start packing them in like, RIGHT NOW haha.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Im sorry sir, you cant bring your drum of cocaine in.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    lol

i would love to see you walking around with a giant tub of protein powder from stage to stage

remember food is not at allowed in the festivla, only campgrounds. I'm going to try sneaking in a few Cliff bars anyway

If you've never had the aritchoke chicken wraps at the festival, those are always fresh and delicious. Probably good for you? Hopefully. I eat those a lot at Coachella
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    The last thing we need is a fleet of druggies thinking I've got a tub of coke stashed in my tent, only to have them raid it and come out mutated like some super freak meathead druggies. Like Rocksteady and Beebop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    If you've never had the aritchoke chicken wraps at the festival, those are always fresh and delicious. Probably good for you? Hopefully. I eat those a lot at Coachella
    I've never tried that, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for it. Another good point to make in this thread is the best foods that also get you the most bang for your buck. Sometimes there are foods there that might look great, but cost twice as much (and at half the size) as much as something just as nutritious and decent-tasting.

I have to go do some sleep binging right now actually in preparation so I look forward to hearing any tips and suggestions tomorrow. Night!
    Last edited by PierogiHead; 04-13-2009 at 07:04 PM.

yea, the artichoke wraps are my favorite coachella food. I probably had 4 last year. I believe it's 8 bucks (last year) for the chicken artichoke, maybe a buck or two less if you want just artichoke.

all food is a bit expensive there, but 8 bucks was fair. very nice size wraps that kept me full until the late night spicy pie craving. definitely look out for em. and avoid that awful looking burgeritto i keep hearing aobut
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

So I normally stay in a rental house, so we all eat a big late breakfast before heading in. Omlettes, fresh fruit, etc. During the festival itself I just drink lots of water, and bring with NUUN tablets that turn water into sugar-free electrolyte drinks (security looks REALLY suspicious on open tubes of NUUN, but i've never had a problem with sealed tubes.) It doesn't taste as sweet as Gatorade, and doesn't give you any sugar/carb energy , but does the electrolyte job just fine.

In between the big brunch and the nuun-ified water, i'm usually good to go untill about sundown, at which point i'll pick something non-fried for dinner, preferably protein heavy. Then it's water untill the end of the festival, and then once we get back to the house in the middle of the we have a laaaate supper, usually some chicken out on the grill, huge salad, etc. Then we relax in the hot tub and trade stories of our day.

Cardio workout isn't really an issue, as I average over 10 miles of walking a day while at Coachella. I don't really bother doing any strength training. But yeah, the lack of sleep catches up with me in a major way starting sunday, and then monday i'm a total wreck.

Lurker

For protein, seek out the balut stand. (at least, it was there in 06.)

I just eat a nice breakfast every morning, pop a couple multi's, snack on some Clif Bars during the day, and eat 1 decent meal in the late afternoon. (I usually hit up the chicken skewers, but those things vary in terms of greasiness.)

It's hard to sneak in any weight training, even if you're at a hotel/resort that has a fitness area. I tend to bulk up a few months leading into the festival as I usually drop at least 5-7 lbs during it.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

cocaine and push ups all day should keep you fit
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

also, i love working out and eating right, but you people are straight obsessive and dorky about it

I forgot to mention the steady stream of yayo that's circulating through my body at all times. That's is pretty important..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    also, i love working out and eating right, but you people are straight obsessive and dorky about it
    seriously, it's 3 or 4 days...take a little break, it won't kill you.

i just played bocce ball all sunday whilst drinking margaritas on 47th, steve.

im glad im missing my workout routine

Quote Originally Posted by PierogiHead View Post
    One of the toughest parts of attending Coachella for me is always the time away from my regular workout routine, and above all, getting through 3 - 4 days in grueling desert heat, not getting the proper nutrition/hydration/sleep while I'm there and feeling like death by the end of it. I feel like I end up losing at least 5 lbs and suffer atrophy from it all.

Does anybody else share the same worries? Any pointers besides the obvious "drinks lots of water" on how you get through it? Which festival foods have you found benefit you the best nutritionally?

I prefer to stock up on protein bars and any other feasible supplements that don't require mixing them with milk to get through it. I was thinking of bringing in a plastic tub of protein powder from a larger container but does anyone think security might think that's sketchy and not let it in?
    Im very much into my workout routine and eat generally a healthy diet. Every once in a while you just have to let it go though. Nothing is worth obsessing over that much. I drink lots of water at the festival along with my fair share of beers, they have grilled chicken skewers there that are very tasty and healthy. If I miss my workouts (I stay in PS) then so be it...every 6 weeks your body needs a break to recuperate anyway.

Anyway, what I am getting at is ENJOY COACHELLA! Life as we know it will resume as normal after its over so why not forget the "real world" for a few days?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Ros Stache View Post
    Im very much into my workout routine and eat generally a healthy diet. Every once in a while you just have to let it go though. Nothing is worth obsessing over that much. I drink lots of water at the festival along with my fair share of beers, they have grilled chicken skewers there that are very tasty and healthy. If I miss my workouts (I stay in PS) then so be it...every 6 weeks your body needs a break to recuperate anyway.

Anyway, what I am getting at is ENJOY COACHELLA! Life as we know it will resume as normal after its over so why not forget the "real world" for a few days?
    This is solid advice, buddy and I do get where you're getting at. Truth be told, the last time I took a solid break from my routine was... LAST YEAR'S COACHELLA! (One break too little, I know.) So, in a twisted, over-contemplative way, I really do plan around this event and it very much is my payoff for all the hard work throughout the year.

Non-greasy chicken skewers, here I come...

Why did I click this thread?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

There is so much activity all through Coachella. Dancing and walking really fast from one stage/tent to the other for 12 hours a day for the three days that you skip your workout should be fine. I work out 6-7 days a week,1 1/2 -2 hours with weights/cardio/hill hiking just so I am fit enough for Coachella at my age(55). There are plenty of food choices that are healthy and I am happy to burn so many calories that I don't need to watch what i eat all weekend!

boo fucking hoo.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    haha, i was thinkin the EXACT same thing. being healthy is great, but if you guys cant relax and not think about that shit for a couple days, you got issues.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!