Thread: V Festival in Baltimore Looking for New site

Default V Festival in Baltimore Looking for New site

Uh oh.

http://pollstar.com/blogs/news/archi...10/660323.aspx

The owner of Baltimore’s Pimlico Race Course has filed for bankruptcy, leaving not only one of horse racing’s prestigious Triple Crown events in question, but possibly the fourth Virgin Mobile Festival as well.

Fears there would be no fourth Virgin fest appear to be unfounded, though organizers I.M.P. and its chief exec, Seth Hurwitz, are so far keeping a tight lid on details, including location and possible dates.

However, Virgin Mobile spokeswoman Jayne Wallace has been only slightly more forthcoming to Baltimore-area media.

“Nothing is definite,” she told the Baltimore Sun. “But for all intents and purposes, we fully expect to hold another festival. We have some exciting ideas we’re looking at.”

Apparently, one of those ideas involves moving Virgin Mobile Festival, which reportedly drew 60,000 last year, to 17,000-capacity Merriweather Post Pavilion. Not coincidentally, the Merriweather is booked and operated by I.M.P.

Howard County, Md., executive Ken Ulman told the Business Journal that Hurwitz said he was weighing potential venues for the show and that Merriweather is among them.

But when contacted by Pollstar, Hurwitz was more coy about plans.

“We are working on big plans for both this year and the future, but right now there is nothing to announce,” Hurwitz said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,7753072.story

Virgin Mobile Festival to return for 4th year
    Dates, location, lineup for concert not yet set
    By Sam Sessa | sam.sessa@baltsun.com
    5:54 PM EDT, April 3, 2009
    Organizers confirmed Friday that the Virgin Mobile Festival will be back for a fourth year, but it's still unclear whether the huge concert will return to Baltimore's Pimlico Race Course.

"Nothing in life is definite," said Jayne Wallace, director of corporate communications for Virgin Mobile. "But for all intents and purposes, we fully expect to hold another festival. We have some exciting ideas we're looking at."

Wallace said the festival's dates, location and lineup are still in negotiations.

For the past three years, the festival has been held at the racetrack. But with Pimlico's owner, Magna Entertainment, in bankruptcy proceedings, the festival could be forced to find another home, possibly outside of Baltimore and even the region.

Related links

New bidder would raze Pimlico track

Future of Virgin Festival in Baltimore unclear
    Metromix coverage: 2008 Virgin Fest Organizers have waited longer than normal to reveal any details about the festival. Last year, they locked in dates for the two-day event by February. By now, most of the major summer music festivals, such as Bonnaroo and Coachella, have already announced their lineups.

"It's starting to get late," said Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the music industry trade magazine Pollstar. "If there aren't moves already being made, you couldn't start from scratch and put a festival together today. ... This may be the year they take off."

This would be the fourth year in the U.S. for the Virgin Mobile Festival. More than 60,000 attended last year's festival, which spanned two days and featured headliners Kanye West, the Foo Fighters, Jack Johnson and Nine Inch Nails.

Though it may provide the most sprawling festival setting, Pimlico isn't the only local option for the Virgin Mobile Festival. Merriweather Post Pavilion, which is also booked by festival promoter Seth Hurwitz, is another possibility. It currently hosts the annual Vans Warped Tour, which features dozens of bands on multiple stages.

But it's unlikely that the Virgin Mobile Festival would mirror the African-American Heritage Festival and set up in the parking lots surrounding M&T Bank Stadium and Orioles Park at Camden Yards. Ravens PR director Kevin Byrne said that the football stadium is rarely available for outside events in August — especially a weekend-long festival — because of exhibition games.

Default Re: V Festival in Baltimore Looking for New site

Jack Johnson killed the fest.

Coachella Junkie

Yeah this was all news last week. I was going to hold off from posting it because there isn't that much to say I guess, and i'm not sure how many people care (i'm the only rep from the board that makes it out to this fest anyway).

I'm willing to bet they're going to do it again at Merriweather Post Pavilion. It wouldn't be the same, but it'll do.

I went to V-Fest in 2007. I think Randy did also.

I enjoyed the performances a lot, but I didn't really like the venue. It felt really crowded. The weather was nice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie

Yeah I know that you, me, and Randy went in 07. But as far as I know i'm the only one who went last year. The venue is ok, its the city that sucks. But last year wasn't quite as crowded as 07. Weather was nice as well.