Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL CONTEST - WINNER: MUSIC AT THE GATES!!!

Default Re: CREATE YOUR OWN FESTIVAL CONTEST - 2007

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    It would've been better if I were kidding, huh?
    Well, the choose your own adventure would be over because there was no next post. But seriously, why would you refuse to vote because of a provision that only seeks to make people diversify their line-ups?

Also, Erik, you should make a rule that scalpers aren't allowed to play. See you later, supreasskicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

If it's cool with Erik, I can make a few posters for those that aren't familiar with photoshop, like I did last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

As the whole 'reunited band' thing goes...I'm thinking of setting up a page where you send in your whatever reunion band you wanna have play at your festival. BUT, it's gonna be a first come first serve type of thing, because I don't want 15 people saying they're gonna have Portishead, another 10 with Pulp and so on....it's pretty much (when/if I launch a page for it) gonna be send in your band, and if they're not already taken then they're yours, but if they are taken, I'll email you back letting you know. I dunno, something like that I guess...

and as far as eliminating bands or making more lists....I think I have a good idea going with limiting the big bands to three and one per day (same going towards the electronic acts). I don't wanna discourage people from wanting Radiohead or Tool or whomever to headline their event, but I also don't want the same headliners for every festival either. I'm still not sure if I should limit each band on that list to how many times they can be used and by how many people (like a draft I guess), I just don't want it to seem unfair. I dunno, I'm still thinking about it, suggestions help. If anything right now, I was thinking of adding a couple more bands to that list, maybe the Lips or someone.

AND, no, the appearance of the poster isn't being graded...meaning if you have a poster made in MS Paint compared to one from Photoshop...the Photoshop poster doesnt get more points or more votes or whatever just because it was made in photoshop....the votes should have nothing to do with that. The poster is just a way of organizing your event into days, giving it a name, and making it look official.

And yes, Brandon feel free to make some people posters if they aren't up to it...or you people out there who feel you don't have the skills to make a poster but wanna play, just contact Brandon, me, or someone on this board. This was covered in the FAQs section.

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Don't you think it's a little early for this?
    i kind of liked this better when it was a middle-of-the-summer-aint-shit-goin-on game to play to keep us interested in things festivally while in the Coachella off season.

but i suppose i'm in either way.

Also Gabe, you're right, I should of came to you (though I haven't been seeing much of you on the boards) before making this go live, since you were the originator of this idea last year (it was really an awesome idea). Anyhow, I'm sorry...if you have any suggestions or anything though, please lemme know, I'll make you like VP of this or something.

Well on the reunion thing, I know a couple of bands I want but do we get limited to only one reunion?

edit: post 909, i'm in the boonies at the moment..

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I want a cut of all your royalties. I want a better title than "VP" - I'm a Senior Vice President, at least. I want my name on the poster. I want ownership of the rights to the spin-off contests. I want to appoint my entourage in all the key positions. I want final cut, muthafuckas!!!

No, you gave me credit early on and that's enough. Just consider my suggestions (having done this in the past) and then put your own spin on it. You're prepared to go farther with it than I did, and that's for the best.

I like your idea of doing a random draft for the big bands - rationing them out so only one can be used at a time. I'm telling you, last year's contest was sweet, but there were too many posters that had Radiohead or Bjork on them. It's better for the contest if you make it more difficult to choose bands.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post

I like your idea of doing a random draft for the big bands - rationing them out so only one can be used at a time. I'm telling you, last year's contest was sweet, but there were too many posters that had Radiohead or Bjork on them. It's better for the contest if you make it more difficult to choose bands.

I really agree with this. I think it should be done with limited resources to really push creativity and to have unconventional headliners happen. Some of the big acts seem like too much of an automatic choice in certain situations. I woudl pick Radiohead for example but it ends up being a tired choice in the end though.. Anyway update on the reuinion thing, only 1 per day of the entire weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I'm telling you, last year's contest was sweet, but there were too many posters that had Radiohead or Bjork on them. It's better for the contest if you make it more difficult to choose bands.
    I just wanted to pause and appreciate that YAY BJORK IS REALLY COMING THIS YEAR!

That is all.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I agree Radiohead should not be allowed whose not going to have Radiohead at their festival? I have my questions about Bowie too.

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I have my questions about Bowie too.

i cant wait to make a new fest! im glad this is back.

Mittens was my cat that died.

I don't have any aliases this board.

My festival got lost last year.

It seems silly to me to have a draft for headliners because then it's just going to be who drafts who. For the voters who are deciding based on headliners.

How I voted last year was thinking of it as actually going to all of these festivals. And let me tell you, I got sick of seeing Radiohead. No one else seemed to vote this way, though.

Erik will you posting a list of bands that are not available that weekend because they are playing other shows such as the Live Earth gigs?
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Akon will not be available sorry folks.

Oh shoot thats gonna kill things for some people if you we have to adhere to conflicts like that.... I think I am safe because no artist I want is doing it..

but ol dirty will be!

So you guys are amateur promoters now?
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Alright I signed up, this will keep me busy for a while. I think creating a name for it will be the hardest...

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    So you guys are amateur promoters now?

Well the fake line up did get all the way to nme.com so yeah I think its a fair assumption to say that..

Okay, regarding the reunion band thing, I updated the PDF version of the rules to cover this in detail, but in short:

ONE (yes only ONE) reunion act will be allowed per festival, and there is going to be a web page (much like the one you are using to submit your participation now) where you'll give your name, festival name, and your desired reunion act (if you want one that is). The thing is though, each reunion band will only be allowed to appear at one festival each, meaning each participant must have a different reunion band from the next participant.

That means the signup thing will be on a first come first serve basis (date will be given, don't worry). If by the time your submission reaches me, and your band is already taken, I'll contact you and ask you to choose a new band to fill that slot. This is the easiest and most fair way I could come up with. Oh and more thing regarding this:

PINK FLOYD WILL NOT BE ALLOWED!

I'm still not sure how I should handle the headliner thing...I don't want 20 people using radiohead or tool or whomever, but I don't wanna ban those bands either, because afterall, they are definently headliners and do play festivals. There may be a draft or sign up page or whatever, I'm still open to suggestions as of now. I just wanna make sure we get diversified lineups. Because John is right, I'm hoping votes will be based on what festivals you would actually wanna go to.

Anyway check the PDF (and html enventually) to see updated rules and stuff, and keep signing up, I got 13 so far!

in a cage, and other dark, tight quarters

there are too many rules...I'm getting a headache

Will I be allowed to have Grizzly Bear Vs. Silverback Gorilla Death Match as part of a theater group?
    I miss Bill Hicks.

With Girl Talk providing the music right?

Alright, I need a name for my festival and I have some good reunions in mind so I better get mine...

here's mine from last year (courtesy of bdawg's magical photoshop skillz)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

vinylmartyr

I'm gonna post r kelly concert pics tomorrow.

8 bands Coachella 2007 bands played the Troubadour Festival? Am I counting right?

I wonder which festival had the most Coachella 2007 bands. Someone else go look.

i only counted four.

damien rice
    bjork
    the frames
    travis

who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

+ air
    placebo
    jose gonzales
    dj shadow
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

I bet the person that won the guess the Coachella 2007 lineup will win this create your own contest. Who wants to take that bet.