Page 1 of 18 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL CONTEST - WINNER: MUSIC AT THE GATES!!!

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL CONTEST - WINNER: MUSIC AT THE GATES!!!

I assume some of you remember this from last year (late summer or whenever it was). Well it's back! For all you newcomers, this is a contest that I'm putting on (Gabe did the original), where you'll be responsible for creating a festival, which then will be pitted against other created festivals in a series of polls, resulting in one winner at the very end of it all.

Basically how it works is, for anyone who decides to enter this contest (I hope a lot of you will), you'll be required to think of a festival name, the lineup for your festival, making a poster, creating set times and then having all that be taken into account when the voting comes around.

Now for your convenience, I've made a PDF file (see below) describing the entire contest (the rules, how it works, etc...), so please refer to that before asking any questions you may have here (including questions about bands, posters, etc...).

The winner of this contest is going to receive a free t-shirt with his/her festival's logo on the front, and band lineup on the back, as well as three cd/dvds of your choice from my vast bootleg library (list will be provided). On top of that, you get bragging rights for being the best "cyber" festival promoter on these boards. Very cool.

If you're interested in signing up, PLEASE do so...I wanna get as many participants as I can. I haven't set up a deadline date for sign ups, but I will be posting one soon. So if you're interested, sign up early, so you won't be sorry later.

*CONTEST RULES*

PDF Version

HTML Version

Please abide by the rules and stuff listed on the signup page to make sure you get entered correctly. Again if anything remains unclear or unanswered after going through the rules PDF, please ask here, and I'll clear anything up.

Again, right now there is no deadline date for signups, meaning no date has been set forth to start submitting posters yet. Stay tuned though!

Default Re: CREATE YOUR OWN FESTIVAL CONTEST - 2007

can i make suggestion regarding this rule:

Prohibited Bands List:

Any band that is currently not together, and/or has not announced plans for a reunion, or is deceased. Examples include: Portishead, My Bloody Valentine, Pulp, Blur, Neutral Milk Hotel, Pink Floyd, The Verve, The Smiths, Orbital, Talking Heads, Cocteau Twins, The Beatles, The Doors, Sublime, Nirvana etc… (get the picture?)

If you are unclear whether or not a band on your list does not meet this requirement, contact the moderator of the contest for clarification. He will hold final decision on whether or not the band will be allowed.
    I understand eliminating bands/groups that have a deceased member(s). But, perhaps we could allow only one reunion band/group, which all original band members are living and physically capable to play live, to our lists. I figure it will mix things up a bit more. I mean festivals have to have suprises. (exp. Rage Against the Machine/ The Jesus and Mary Chain, reunions)

Just a suggestion...

I understand eliminating bands/groups that have a deceased member(s). But, perhaps we could allow only one reunion band/group, which all original band members are living and physically capable to play live, to our lists. I figure it will mix things up a bit more. I mean festivals have to have suprises. (exp. Rage Against the Machine/ The Jesus and Mary Chain, reunions)

Just a suggestion...
    I agree. I'll be voting again (... at least). (I'm not popular here so I don't think my festival will have a chance of winning. j/k I know it's not all about winning blah blah blah. Last year was pretty exciting, so many close fights and it was that time of year when many people in the old boards signed up for multiple user ids. Not me - I know vinylmartyr already confessed in one of the threads in this new board. (j/k vinylmartyr). Probably, do not allow lurkers to vote this time or that we select who will be able to vote ... )

I just realized this is menik's contest ... let him does(/create rules) whatever he wants.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 02-17-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Added: I'm just teasing vinylmartyr! :D

vinylmartyr

I never had any aliases.

who won the last one??? everytime I looked it was DEAD even.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

vinylmartyr

I think dustin won

It ended up tied between me and Dustin. But Dustin had the better name for the festival: Mittens Festival.

vinylmartyr

there was something shady going on with the voting

Don't you think it's a little early for this?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

vinylmartyr

that Erik pffft

Portishead has been working on a new album...therefore they shouldn't be prohibited.

Actually Bosco, I thought about that idea, but wasn't sure how it would go over. I'll probably end up changing it to what you suggested, allowing ONE reunion band (as long as each member is still living). Good thinking. And for those thinking this is too early....actual poster making and voting won't happen for a while, but I posted this now, just to get people committed and thinking about it. I got 3 people in so far...

vinylmartyr

Martin Gore has confirmed with me that he is in.

sweet...

and don't worry, there will not be any alias voting going on this time around...though it's still never been confirmed that it happened last time either.

this year make the votes show publicly.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

People can still make up aliases. How are you going to prove they're aliases or not? Are you going to have only a certain group of people that are allowed to vote?
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

relax people, there will be no alias voting, don't worry

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    People can still make up aliases. How are you going to prove they're aliases or not? Are you going to have only a certain group of people that are allowed to vote?
    Bingo. Why do you think I'm getting so hammered in the animal fight thread?

Erik, this is kind of like Clear Channel organizing a "Coachella" festival in the fall this coming year without telling Goldenvoice first. But as A) I am not organized enough to run the contest this year, and B) I'm still a derelict in giving Trey and Dustin their co-grand prizes for last year's finals (don't think I've forgotten, guys), I have no objections to you overseeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

well i am in. this should be fun.

I just want to be able to vote. I have no photoshop/computer art skills.
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

this is well thought out. i might play. also how much does the artwork of the poster count towards the final grade do you think? i am with amy in regards to photoshop skills. thanks.

We should find the posters from last time and post them. Eventually.

There aren't enough rules. This contest needs more rules. Choose 3 bands from Column A, 5 from Column B, something like that.

also last time we didnt have to make our own posters. I can't do that. Well I can but it would look like shit. Shit, shit shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    can i make suggestion regarding this rule:

Just a suggestion...
    Agreed. Listing every single band big enough to either headline or have second billing under the "one per day" list is bad enough.

I'm in this, although I'm going to have to find someone to make me a poster...

Erik, ignore these calls for you to add bands. It's only going to make the posters more similar and the contestants lazier.

If I had it to do over again, I would put more bands on the "completely prohibited" list, rather than the "you can only choose four from this crowd" list. I'd cut Radiohead out of the running entirely. And I guarantee you that if you legalize Portishead, you're going to have at least 10 posters with Portishead on them.

Be firm. Take away the slam dunks. Make them work for it.
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Nice! I've been waiting for a chance to redeem myself.

Nevermind. I won't vote if there's no Radiohead or Portishead in any of the posters. Lame.

I get the impression that you're kidding.

IF YOU ARE INDEED KIDDING, PROCEED TO THE NEXT POST.

IF YOU ARE NOT KIDDING, PROCEED TO THE QUESTION BELOW:

Why do you say that? Are there only two bands in the world who deserve votes?

It would've been better if I were kidding, huh?