Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unreal Coachella moments...?

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Unreal Coachella moments...?

2001: My first Coachella and witnessing the 1st Sigur Ros performance on this continent. And being BLOWN AWAY by every single note.
    2002: Prodigy coming on the main stage and ripping out everyone's asshole and then making them greatful for it.
    Bjork walking on stage FUCKING PREGNANT to the opening notes of All Is Full Of Love then midway through the show stating that the computers were sick and then later saying how they were "cured".
    2003: During the Hives someone threw a show at Pelle and he dodged it and then looked to the crowd to ask "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I NEED A SHOE!?!?!?" And then asking if it was hot and saying he would cool the crowd down by blowing into the microphone.
    2004: VAMOS by the Pixies! ALL of Radiohead's amazing fucking set but the performance of CREEP! Air's amazing showing of Sexy Boy on the main stage and Mogwai's etheral performance of 2 rights make one wrong.
    2005: Bahaus opening with Belo Legosi is dead with the lead singer HANGING UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!! Arcade Fire's amazing show despite Win Butler being electrocuted repeatedly by his microphone. MIA 1st showing.
    2006: I missed Daft Punk but seeing Madonna in the Sahara was unreal (despite it being a terrible performance because of how fucking short it was!)
    2007: The hurricane of the Bjork's performance with Hyper Ballad going into Pluto.
    Arcade Fire's EPIC Wake Up singalong.
    2008: Aphex Twin's WTF opening set followed by his wall of noise.
    PORTISWERKPRINCE!!!!!
    That plane during Roger Waters that scared the shit out of me.

SOO MANY MORE TO COME.....

too many to mention, and most have already been covered. a couple that haven't though:

the back to back assault of rage and tool in 99.

jane's addiction's magical set in 01.

smoking a joint during willie nelson at sunset in 07.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    I'm fairly sure that wasn't the opening song. Maybe it was.
    yeah it was...i am really big on opening songs and that disappointed me.

(and i have recordings to back that up and an excellent memory all things Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Ok, so last year I'm in the Sahara tent when Pendulum came on. There were all these candy raver girls left over from the previous set. They were spreading PLUR like nobody's business. One of them might have been going on about how she was rolling her tits off, but I digress.

Pendulum came on and blew the freaking roof off the place. All of a sudden, this mosh pit breaks out. The candy ravers start screaming in horror as the violence ensued. Everyone in the vicinity is insantly plastered with hurling bodies of shirtless (and sweaty) aussie and brit boys.

I ended up having to rescue a bunch of girls out of the pit. Absulutely surreal.

Rolling candy ravers + Mosh Pit = FAIL

There are a lot, so I limited it to three from each year.

2004:
    stellastarr*: the first act I saw at Coachella, and it was great
    Pixies: my all-time favorite Coachella set
    The Cure: hearing "The Lovecats" live

2005:
    The Kills: walked into that amazing set
    Kasabian: another nice surprise for me
    Bauhaus: Peter Murphy's upside-down rendition of "Bela Legosi"

2006:
    Depeche Mode: had never seen them before
    stellastarr*: again... this set was better than the first, and by now, I was a fan
    Tool: a sonically and visually stunning show

2007:
    Silversun Pickups --> Arctic Monkeys --> JAMC --> Peeping Tom --> Sonic Youth: my favorite string of sets at Coachella
    !!!: so much fun
    Rodrigo y Gabriela: if you were there, then you understand

2008:
    dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip: something that I may not see elsewhere
    Goldfrapp: too bad she conflicted with Scroobius Pip and Raconteurs
    DCFC --> Rilo Kiley --> Kraftwerk --> Portishead --> Prince: another string of amazing acts

2009 Predictions:
    Morrissey: I've always wanted to see him, so he's my #1 pick for 2009
    The Kills: I'm prepared to see them this time!
    The Cure: they're stronger now that Porl is back in the lineup
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I love you
    I love you
    I love you
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Most have been cited - but this hasn't and it's in my top o the top (partially cause it was my first year)
    '04 - being blown away by Mogwai, smoking with some nice strangers in the back, I take a second to walk out the back of the tent and then I heard it - the bomb dropping start of B Jaxx doing Lucky Star - with Dizzee on stage and I start running for the Outdoor stage,
    and I notice I'm being surrounded by a mass of weekend warriors all running up on me in the same direction. Picking up speed, as the volume picks up.
    That set KILLED! Gave a me a brand new wind at the end of a brand new weekend.

I completely lost it when Peter Murphy came out upside down and sang Bela.

I, honest to god, have never used the F word as much as i did then.

It was utterly unbelievable.

Other Unreal Coachella Moments:

Pixies in 2004
    Thus starting my love affair with Coachella. I actually threw up the morning of the show. I was soooo excited.

Daft Punk in 2006
    If you were there i need not explain. If you weren't, I am so sorry.

Portishead in 2008
    I was not prepared to have my heart and soul yanked out of my body then returned to me aching yet devastatingly satisfied. My heart is still heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

aphex twin and roger waters did it for me last year. also, just the whole sequence of going from kraftwerk to MIA to sasha and digweed to prince was coachella magic incarnate.

Rage FTW... That was unbelievable, I still can barely listen to them on the radio when I am driving for fear of a flashback and certain death. Another one though for sure, in addition to some of the other sets you guys listed, Waters, Prince, Portishead, Spiritualized etc. Deadmau5 is definitely up there for me I had barely heard of him but a buddy of mine said that I could not miss it. Oh my was he right... Im still picking up my face...

Last year it was my first coachella, so i'd say ... Roger Waters, MGMT, Prince, Portishead and The Raconteurs.
    So fucking ready for the Coachella Experience.

4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    2003: During the Hives someone threw a show at Pelle and he dodged it and then looked to the crowd to ask "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I NEED A SHOE!?!?!?" And then asking if it was hot and saying he would cool the crowd down by blowing into the microphone.
    I remember that performance it was good... do you think the shoe was because of him saying they were "glad to be in Los Angeles" then the crowd started booing and he was like "oh sorry Palm Springs" ha they put on a high energy set so I think they won the crowd over.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGZ662 View Post
    Yeah like the person who posted this vid states how his vid "captures the mood" well if you were up front.

Damn, just the fact that they were able to hang on to the camera is unreal... Actually made for a great video!

the burgerito!!
    "Im going to party like its on sale for $19.99"

I forgot about the whirlwind of recycle boxes last year outside of the sahara
    weekend one

Most of the above +
    Common coming out for Black Star...
    Sleater Kinney saying goodbye...
    Sonic Youth busting out 'eric's trip'
    and how brave Crowded House was in front of an audience primed for Rage, throwing water bottles...
    Kills in 05(?), could not take my eyes off of them, can't wait for this year...
    P is for Pixies...
    04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10...

the parade in the campgrounds after Prince was over was one of the most fun things I've ever been a part of in my life. I lost my mind for 3 hours
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Lurker

has anyone mentioned the near-riot the night before rage? that was amazing, i felt like william wallace.

I was on acid inside my tent as the helicopter flew over us during that Rage riot...it was kinda freaky
    Last edited by elementquencher; 04-11-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: oops

2004 was my first Coachella. After years and years of brutally debilitating depression, I was finally coming out of it and Coachella came along at exactly the right time. I had lost a lot of weight and was feeling amazing in my own skin and I had heard so much about this magical place called Coachella...

First band I saw was Kinky. Great show. Rediscovered true joy surrounded by thousands of loving strangers and I was hooked on Coachella. Radiohead and Pixies blew my mind. Flaming Lips, Belle and Sebastian, but most of all Basement Jaxx helped this kid get his groove back.

2005 I confronted fear - I was on the verge of losing my job the week before Coachella and couldn't stop thinking about it. This lead me into deep internal experiences in the Sahara tent. Armen Van Buren filled me with fear, loathing and anger, but I turned it around and Chems and Prodigy were there for me. Caught some of Coldplay and was shocked how much I liked it. Arcade Fire amazed and saved me. Only wish I had caught Gram Rabbit.

2006 Possibly my greatest Coachella ever. Pure love and joy for miles and miles. Daft a seminal moment in my life. And Go Team! GO TEAM! But that's just the start of the wonder from that year, Common, Sigur Ros, Carl Cox, Joey Beltram, Animal Collective (saving me from the hell of Madonna!), Massive Attack, YYY's, Gnarls! Words cannot describe that year!

2007 brought the much needed expansion to three days. I was in deep contemplation of the complexities of modern existence, of how life seems to be nothing but a series of emails, websites, video games, movies, TV shows... I came face to face with big questions and perhaps my deepest, most emotional experience of all with LCD Soundsystem and Justice. Then I laughed my ass off at "the world's number one DJ." It was not a year for headliners for me, I missed all three happily but was so thankful for Explosions in the Sky and Infected Mushroom. It all brought me to the happy realization that if life is all just a giant video game, it's time to go get some high scores.

And then 2008. Two of my faves of all time, Roger Waters and Prince! But also Aphex, Breeders (eh, okay, but I was happy to see them), Fatboy Slim (same), KRAFTWERK AMAZING, Gogol Bordello, Cold War Kids! Great shows across the board, amazing Coachella - but most of all, Mr. Waters - who said to me, he reached out and said to me, as if I were having a cup of coffee with him, "Kid, go and make a difference."

And I'm happy to say the last year has been one of the most profound of my life. I'm healthier, happier, and working harder than ever before to make a difference. Thank you, Mr. Waters!

This year?

God only knows.

As always, I'll let Coachella show me the way.
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

2007:
    Arcade Fire

Rage Against The Machine

2008:
    Kraftwerk
    Portishead
    Prince
    back to back to back might be the greatest 4 hours of music I have ever witnessed.

and of course Roger Waters

THAT was a great show. 04m05m06m07m08m09

2004 - first time to ever see Radiohead.

Also in 2004, the Rapture made a huge fan out of me, just playing Echoes material, good lord that was the best thing to see inbetween Pixies & Radiohead that year.

2005 - The Arcade Fire no doubt, even though the mics weren't quite working when they came out and all bust into WAKE UP, it was on. Also just playing Funeral material a big plus.

2006:
    -Animal Collective opening with Banshee Beat & closing with We Tigers
    -Sigur Ros at sunset.
    -Seeing Kanye dance around to A-Ha's "Take On Me".
    -Daft Punk.
    -Watching Wolf Parade blow through their 50 minute set in 35 minutes lol
    -Whenever during Massive Attack they announced Horace Andy & Liz Fraser were in the house... damn
    -Maynard telling us to get out our calculators for Lateralus. awesome.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

thepoetblue's post =
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    the parade in the campgrounds after Prince was over was one of the most fun things I've ever been a part of in my life. I lost my mind for 3 hours
    wut wut wut?

Was in a hotel last year. Plz tell story.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Last year was my first year. I'll try and represent the moments with what was actually going on in the music. I'm sure they will be easily identified.

"Hear ye, hear ye..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls..."

Prince and Roger Waters gave me constant chills. Also, the moment when Jim James hit those impossibly high notes at the end of Wordless Chorus. Too many.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    thepoetblue's post =
    Yeah, it gave me chills and a smile too. And, with the way 2009 has gone for me so far, I can't wait for Coachella to lead the way, show me the way, and take me away!

sweet caroline before justice last year holds a special place in my heart
    COACHELLA '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11

08/09 - Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs
    08/12 - Sigur Ros
    08/24 - Shlohmo
    09/01 - FYF Fest
    09/11 - Swans
    10/06 - Mono
    10/13 - The XX

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    COCHELLLLA!!!!!

Oh and the first 15 seconds of RATM when the ground was shaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGZ662 View Post
    Yeah like the person who posted this vid states how his vid "captures the mood" well if you were up front.

The start of Testify was insane. I've never experienced anything The blast of warm air created by everyone jumping in unison. And then the mayhem that ensued for the next 13 songs with a crowd that big.

The moment for me was Bulls On Parade. So intense.