Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...0146-year-know

Thursday, April 9, 2009
    Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling
    Festival organizers defend their choices and stave off speculation.
    By BEN WENER
    The Orange County Register
    Comments 0 | Recommend 3

SLIDE SHOW: The greatest Coachella performances of the first 10 years

SLIDE SHOW: A look at some acts that will be at Coachella 2009 and a few who won't

Every year it's the same thing.

Speculation starts well before Christmas, and soon Paul Tollett and his team at concert promoter Goldenvoice must fend off loopy rumors months ahead of revealing the lineup for the world-renowned Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, which next weekend will take over the Empire Polo Field in Indio for the 10th time.

Will Radiohead return? (No.)

Will Pearl Jam play this time? (Nope.)

Maybe Bowie? (No again.)

As seems to happen annually, there was once again plenty of Internet buzz among people who claim to know everything (yet actually know nothing) that Tollett had pulled off the impossible for the fest's milestone anniversary: a Smiths reunion. That didn't come to pass either, though he has brought back Morrissey for the first time since the inaugural Coachella in October 1999.

Even after the 2009 promo poster was unveiled, with Paul McCartney, the Killers and the Cure topping the bill, typically hard-to-please Coachellans still insisted there had to be a surprise superstar in the works, la Prince last year.

Might Bruce Springsteen bolster Saturday's fare, given a gaping hole in his itinerary? After all, as some observers' negative logic goes, the Killers can't possibly be a Saturday headliner.

That's nonsense. The Killers in '09 are no different than Coldplay in '05: a multiplatinum act three albums into its career that can (and will) sell out arenas on its own tour. If anything, Brandon Flowers and his band of Las Vegans are the ultimate Coachella success story.

"They played the tent in the Radiohead year," Tollett recalls of their debut in 2004. "We had done a lot with them in Vegas – they used to be the band you called if someone dropped out. Literally they were the last in on that show – they confirmed as we were going to print, and they were listed on the last line of the poster."

For the Killers to rise to headliner five years later is a feat like no other in Coachella's history. Yet that hasn't been enough to quell complainers, whose kvetching only grew louder when troubled Britsoul star Amy Winehouse predictably withdrew from the Saturday bill and was replaced by a less outrageous star, "Paper Planes" performer M.I.A.

Surely something else would have to be added to make the day worthwhile, they argue. Perhaps No Doubt? U2? Even Spinal Tap has been mentioned, with all seriousness, in Coachella message forums.

"They must be hurting," contend the naysayers. "Look at all those TV ads!"

Indeed, never before has Coachella boasted such an extensive advertising campaign, with spots airing regularly during late-night programming on all major networks.

All of which has fueled the ugliest rumor this year – that despite (or perhaps because of) McCartney's involvement, not to mention the perceived weakness of the Killers and the repetition of the Cure, this is winding up the worst-selling Coachella ever.

"Not at all," Tollett counters. "By far not. In relation to years past at this point, it's the third biggest-selling Coachella we've had. You can't buy single-day tickets for Friday night (McCartney's night) – they're sold out."

He figures "the whole thing would've blown out in the first week or so" if it weren't for the downturn in the economy. Even amid such financial strain, Coachella's country cousin Stagecoach – featuring Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Reba McEntire and Kid Rock the following weekend, April 25-26 – is on track to sell out in advance.

"(Stagecoach) really came around faster than Coachella in terms of capturing the minds of the crowd," Tollett explains. "In three years it's already an entity with nationwide appeal. It took Coachella until the Cure/Radiohead year (its fifth) for that to happen."

The difference, he says, is that Stagecoach attendees "aren't so particular about every last act. For them, it more or less boils down to the headliners and a few other artists. With the Coachella crowd, you can have 27 bands that are great, and they're bummed that 28, 29 and 30 aren't there."

IN DEFENSE OF SIR PAUL

Tollett is used to such nitpicking now. "We've gotten to the point where we build a show that we like – and obviously you hope it sells well, because you gotta pay the bills. But we judge the shows after the fact."

As opposed to what much of the indie elite has done: dismissed this Coachella based on the inclusion of a wrongly maligned legend.

Despite enlisting chief Foo Fighter Dave Grohl to drum (rumor has it Ringo also will show up for a few songs), Sir Paul's indefatigable good cheer can't seem to get respect from hipsters who think cranky dreamer Lennon was the only worthwhile Beatle. Apparently the stains left by "Ebony and Ivory" and "Say, Say, Say" have blotted out the raucousness of "Helter Skelter" or "Back in the U.S.S.R.," or the delicate pensiveness of "For No One" and "Eleanor Rigby."

Or, for that matter, the estimable and experimental work McCartney has created this decade alone, from moody excursions like 2005's Grammy-nominated "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard" (recorded with fave Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich) to his most recent effort, "Electric Arguments," his second collaboration with former Killing Joke bassist Martin Glover (aka Youth), issued under the pseudonym the Fireman.

Not only is McCartney's influence on Coachella artistry deep and pervasive, but he has remained a vital and creatively restless forebear.

I asked Tollett if he knew booking McCartney was a risk. "Well, every band's a risk," he said. "The question is: Do they take it seriously? I know McCartney is. I've seen his set lists from across the world – from Kiev and Montreal and Liverpool – and they're just incredible. If we can get any facsimile of that, we will be in for a great experience."

He notes that, more than ever before, both headliners and undercard acts will be arriving with full-blown productions. "I know for sure that there will be moments this year that will be remembered for years to come," he boasts, "the way people remember Daft Punk (in 2006) or Arcade Fire (in 2005). There are all types of good Coachella lineups. But Leonard Cohen, Morrissey and Paul McCartney all in the same day? That's some serious songwriting.

"Imagine all those people out on that field singing along to (McCartney's) songs. You know, some people doubted the idea of Roger Waters at Coachella – and that turned out to be one of the greatest highlights we've ever had."

Contact the writer: 714-796-2248 or bwener@ocregister.com
    Well if we didn't know that Dave Grohl was going to drum before we know now...

Default Re: Coachella turns 10, amid the usual rumors, grumbling

Hahah I just read and quoted parts of that to Boourns...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

YAY

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

AGAIN, he mentioned Macca, Cohen and Morrissey in the same sentence...let's hope he keeps them all on the main stage...

Is that out of Paul T's mouth or is that just the writer? If it's happening then great!

this writer sucks
    Rhythm is a dancer.

So Dave Grohl is definitely playing the drums?
    aaaaaahhhgagagagagagagagoooooooo

That doesn't sound for sure that Grohl is playing.

Apparently 3-5,000 seat theaters, many of which that had tickets a few weeks ago, equals sold out arena tour.

I can't believe the Dave Grohl rumor. It would be awesome, but wouldn't that be insulting to Macca's usual drummer. "Oh hai, you've been drumming for me for years, but stay home for Coachella because I found someone more famous, thx!"
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

it says he recruited dave grohl to drum. and he did. at the grammys.

it doesn't say that dave grohl will drum for him at coachella. and I will bet money that he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    it says he recruited dave grohl to drum. and he did. at the grammys.

it doesn't say that dave grohl will drum for him at coachella. and I will bet money that he won't.
    I don't know, this reads like he will be there. Adding the Ringo Starr rumor on to it in one sentence and all.
    Coachella alumni 03, 04, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12

At this point, forget the adds, just give me a full McCartney set and no conflicts between Macca-Moz-Cohen. Already have my ticket, anyway.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Ticket-not tickets?

3 day pass, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

I can't believe the Dave Grohl rumor. It would be awesome, but wouldn't that be insulting to Macca's usual drummer. "Oh hai, you've been drumming for me for years, but stay home for Coachella because I found someone more famous, thx!"

exactly

wow. so third best selling coachella? so 2007 obviously being the best, then 2004? so its going to be more crowded than 2006? that's unexpected.
    The White Stripes 9/18

2006 wasnt a big seller?^

2006 sold out, but the capacity had been increased to 60k (was 50k in 2004).

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    2006 sold out, but the capacity had been increased to 60k (was 50k in 2004).
    ah, that makes sense bc 2006 was my first year.
    The White Stripes 9/18

yeah, i thought 2006 sold out too, so it would be 2007-> 2006-> 2009 or
    2007 -> 2004 -> 2009?
    according to the article

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    2007-> 2006-> 2009
    this one.

i smell a fib... nobody's gonna say: "the rumors are true, folks! nobody's coming."

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Spinal Tap? I don't remember anyone mentioning them seriously. I think I started a JOKE thread about them... :/
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

wow, that reads to me like Grohl is a go for Coachella. They dont mention the grammys in that paragraph, they are JUST talking about Coachella. thats awesome...

is there an outside chance we see the Foo Fighters on Saturday?

Something about his tone made me really sad.

You know, it seems like he is putting way too much stock in the relentless mudslinging of the board regulars. It's easy for him-- and for this writer-- to sense some dissent if one of their major sources of criticism is the 100 or so board regulars who talk every detail to death. But I think that these organizers and journalists are reading a major undercurrent of unhappiness about the lineup and taking it seriously without taking into account the many thousands of people who are incredibly excited and happy, and who are so satisfied that they don't feel the need to join the speculation.

I am another one of those people who read the boards for many years before I ever chimed in alongside those of you who dissect every rumor. To be fair, I know that this board is so rabid because we are all incredibly excited about Coachella, and thinking and talking about it constantly is the closest we can get to the fields 362 days out of the year. I get this sense that Tollett may think that his loudest critics don't think the festival is good enough, and that we all think we are entitled to more. But after reading you guys for so long, I think that it's all just genuine excitement and anticipation for what we know will be crazy and amazing no matter what.

This board can capture a lot of the spirit of the festival, but it's pretty often heavy on what sucks. I hope the organizers are aware, though, of the parts we can't quantify here, which is all the joy of Coachella that there kind of aren't words or funny pictures enough to describe.

I'll just say thank you, Coachella, for ten weekends out of ten years that have been some of the best times of my life.
    1999 - 2013, every day, every weekend, no regrets

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    wow. so third best selling coachella? so 2007 obviously being the best, then 2004? so its going to be more crowded than 2006? that's unexpected.
    im sure it's only selling more cause it's three days, probly the worst of the three years they've made it a three day deal, he's just saying that cause he's a promoter and that's what he's supposed to do. i could be wrong though but this is what im guessing.

I'm excited at the supposed sets with bigger production. that sounds sick!
    Last edited by danteb; 04-10-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Wow, that was intense/ nice

Quote Originally Posted by mfnalaska View Post
    Something about his tone made me really sad.

You know, it seems like he is putting way too much stock in the relentless mudslinging of the board regulars. It's easy for him-- and for this writer-- to sense some dissent if one of their major sources of criticism is the 100 or so board regulars who talk every detail to death. But I think that these organizers and journalists are reading a major undercurrent of unhappiness about the lineup and taking it seriously without taking into account the many thousands of people who are incredibly excited and happy, and who are so satisfied that they don't feel the need to join the speculation.

I am another one of those people who read the boards for many years before I ever chimed in alongside those of you who dissect every rumor. To be fair, I know that this board is so rabid because we are all incredibly excited about Coachella, and thinking and talking about it constantly is the closest we can get to the fields 362 days out of the year. I get this sense that Tollett may think that his loudest critics don't think the festival is good enough, and that we all think we are entitled to more. But after reading you guys for so long, I think that it's all just genuine excitement and anticipation for what we know will be crazy and amazing no matter what.

This board can capture a lot of the spirit of the festival, but it's pretty often heavy on what sucks. I hope the organizers are aware, though, of the parts we can't quantify here, which is all the joy of Coachella that there kind of aren't words or funny pictures enough to describe.

I'll just say thank you, Coachella, for ten weekends out of ten years that have been some of the best times of my life.
    seriously. the only reason people post on here in the first place is because they love the fest. they love it sooo much they just want it to be the best it can be.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Yeah. I want to know where the fuck is this supposed hatred for Paul McCartney? Are the hipsters down south in that shithole city complaining or something? There are very few on the board complaining.

Also, the writer is abundantly clear that when he speaks of Dave Grohl he means AT Coachella. This is not ambiguous. Whether or not the writer has his facts straight is another story, but he definitely isn't talking about the Grammy's.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Yeah. I want to know where the fuck is this supposed hatred for Paul McCartney? Are the hipsters down south in that shithole city complaining or something? There are very few on the board complaining.

Also, the writer is abundantly clear that when he speaks of Dave Grohl he means AT Coachella. This is not ambiguous. Whether or not the writer has his facts straight is another story, but he definitely isn't talking about the Grammy's.
    Seriously. I am fucking ecstatic about seeing McCartney.