Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: new wilco album/tour

Default Re: new wilco album/tour

If anyone has the mp3s for a guy who has never figured out torrent... I promise on my mother's grave I will buy the album the day it comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I sent you a PM Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    you don't need seeds for this d/l right now. Trust me, I already got it from demonoid fax. Also I just want to say, if you are downloading it, you better still be buying this album. We need to start supporting one of the best bands of this decade.

It *really* pisses me off that this is a music site supposedly filled with music fans yet everyone d/l's albums all the f'in time.

Then they wonder why Taylor Swift is a star and bands like Wilco have to live on the road for 9mos a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Back to the ole' download debate.

Wilco has always shared and given their music away since the whole ordeal with the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot release.

Just enjoy it. It's streaming on their site now so they obviously want people to hear it. The industry has changed, the artists never made the lions share of album sales.

Who the hell is wondering why Wilco has to live on the road 9 months a year? Actually... When's the last time they even did this?

But yeah, I'll buy the record when it comes out just so Jeff Tweedy doesn't have to worry about not having enough cash to install that second swimming pool behind his mansion. Sheesh.

Okay, so Jeff Tweedy obviously doesn't live in a mansion, but it's still fucking ridiculous to look at illegal downloading from such a narrow point of view. I doubt Wilco are going to starve if no one buys this record. I don't think Volvo or Volkswagen or whomever else is using their songs for car commercials now would let that happen.

Grizzly Bear, on the other hand, doesn't have a grammy nomination to their name. Neither do the Dirty Projectors, and that's a small part of why I'll be buying their records on vinyl.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Bands simply have to evolve as the industry has and bands like Wilco, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have been successful with their innovative marketing techniquies. Wilco started doing this when they were dropped from Mercury.....in fact they toured for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot without having the album on any shelves, the fans showed up singing the songs. They are also one of the few bands who will stream a live show a couple times a year.

None of this has hurt their pocket book. In fact it has helped and they have learned that sharing their music spreads the word about their music and they went from playing 1500 person clubs to playing Red Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    It *really* pisses me off that this is a music site supposedly filled with music fans yet everyone d/l's albums all the f'in time.

Then they wonder why Taylor Swift is a star and bands like Wilco have to live on the road for 9mos a year.
    I spend too much money on concerts tickets to buy all the music I listen to. Plain and simple.

I don't pay for music. I don't GIVE A FUCK.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Principal Onyx Blackman wins for best alias.

Your new-student eyes immediately graze over the firm young flanks of our females. And I won't have it! Capiche, amigo? There's nothing I'd like better than to put you new students back on the boat to where you came from. Comprend-zay vous?

Principal Onyx Blackman is Lawless.

Look, the download/buying debate is useless. It's a simple fact of life that people are going to download and not pay for music. Bands are adjusting, both in business model and expectation. If you enjoy it, you should buy it, but no one can control whether you do or not. It's a personal choice. Worry about what you can control, which is buying it for yourself if you dig it.

Personal view: I wish I had the money to buy everything I enjoy. When I do one day, I will buy everything and have a sick record collection. That said, I spend a shitton on music and concert tickets as it is, even though it isn't really an intelligent financial decision. And I still have a decently sick record collection. There will always be people who buy music. Just not as many as in 1986.

totally man, it's super critical I get that 80 cents to wilco right now!

I don't buy any music, and I just download it to have it on my hard drive. I just listen to Len on repeat over and over on my discman.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Okay, so Jeff Tweedy obviously doesn't live in a mansion, but it's still fucking ridiculous to look at illegal downloading from such a narrow point of view. I doubt Wilco are going to starve if no one buys this record. I don't think Volvo or Volkswagen or whomever else is using their songs for car commercials now would let that happen.

Grizzly Bear, on the other hand, doesn't have a grammy nomination to their name. Neither do the Dirty Projectors, and that's a small part of why I'll be buying their records on vinyl.
    i don't understand that logic. because a band is bigger you won't have a problem ripping their music, but smaller bands you will pay for it? why is there a difference, seems stupid to me. you ain't robin hood.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 05-13-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Bands simply have to evolve as the industry has and bands like Wilco, Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails have been successful with their innovative marketing techniquies. .........
    And what 'marketing techniques' do you suggest to bands that are starting out trying to scrape some $ together to play a few dates out of town ??

Wilco, RH & NIN are all established bands that had moderate to significant record co. support at varying points in their careers.
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

And what 'marketing techniques' do you suggest to bands that are starting out trying to scrape some $ together to play a few dates out of town ??
    People downloading music are small starting out bands' best friends........gives them exposure that they would never get otherwise...........as far as $ to play out of town dates, I'm afraid prostitution is the only sure-fire option.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    People downloading music are small starting out bands' best friends........gives them exposure that they would never get otherwise.....................
    That's an interesting point. It doesn't bring in a dime however and as much as people want to ignore it, it's not called the music business for nothing.

Nothing has changed for them. If they are small and starting out they don't have record deals, so you can buy their CD's at shows and in fact if you want to listen to them again, you better because they obviously aren't on the radio nor do they have their CD's in record stores across the country. So they are going to get big the old fashioned way, the way they always have. Downloading isn't ruining unsigned bands.

The goal of the unsigned band is to simply get heard by as much and as many people as possible. They better be giving that disk to anybody and everybody while streaming tracks on myspace.

Wilco, RH & NIN are all established bands that had moderate to significant record co. support at varying points in their careers.
    You think record sales at a store will provide that? If the band is small enough that they need to scrape together some money to start a tour, they're too small to make much money selling in a store. If they play in their hometown, they'll sell records at the show because those still sell and the band gets more money that way.

All you guys who want to go the same ole argument, c'mon. People probably got all pissed off when VHS came along and you could record movies off the TV and of course people wouldn't pay to see a movie anymore because they oculd just record it and watch it at home. Tra la la.

What I really feel is necessary is for someone to create a new site of some kind that gives bands massive amounts of exposure, like myspace did before everyone stopped going on myspace. Facebook has some stuff it seems like, but they make you verify in long tedious processes that the songs are your own so it's a real pain if you're just a band who plays in your buddy's garage who has a few demos you've recorded on your computer.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    You think record sales at a store will provide that? If the band is small enough that they need to scrape together some money to start a tour, they're too small to make much money selling in a store. If they play in their hometown, they'll sell records at the show because those still sell and the band gets more money that way.

All you guys who want to go the same ole argument, c'mon. People probably got all pissed off when VHS came along and you could record movies off the TV and of course people wouldn't pay to see a movie anymore because they oculd just record it and watch it at home. Tra la la.
    We dubbed cassettes like crazy in high school. Sharing music simply made more people fans of bands they normally wouldn't hear.

I'm not worried in the least about Wilco getting my .88 cents. They get money from me by going to multiple shows a year. If they didn't want people to have it, they wouldn't stream it for free. Plain and simple. They will ask their fans to buy it once it comes out as well but they don't bitch and moan about downloaders like other bands. They have taken an interesting approach to the whole thing.
    Last edited by faxman75; 05-13-2009 at 10:31 AM.

We dubbed cassettes like crazy in high school. Sharing music simply made more people fans of bands they normally wouldn't hear.
    QFT
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    QFT

That's the thing. Everyone is pissed about a band missing out on their album royalties when the the record industry fucked itself by charging $18 a cd for hte past 20 years. If anyone remembers like I do, the record labels claimed those $18 prices would eventually drop. Many have done business models that show they would have continued to make huge profits if they sold CD's in the $9-10 range.

Burning cd's, downloading and sharing music creates a fan that will ultimately go to a show, buy some merchandise and if the artist likeable enough, they have money coming in from that illegal downloader for the rest of their career when they otherwise might not have ever heard of the band.

Sharing music benifits musicians far more than it hurts any of them. Downloading hurts record labels and I don't have sympathy for them since they failed at dropping prices when the market called for it.

Nothing has changed for them. .....
    Everything has changed. They're not getting signed and if they do, they need to start making $ asap or they're out the door.

as i go through my cd collection, i am amazed at how many were purchased for $3-4 bucks at a used record store (mostly arons & rockaway) and of those just how many were promo's that not only did the band not make any money on, it actually COST them money for me to get my cheap copy. i took chances on bands...some paid off and i became a lifelong fan...others i still chuckle about and wonder what i was thinking.

thanks for the heads up on the wilco stream...i'm enjoying my work day just a little more.
    ))<>((

That's a major label, and bands who succeed on majors are almost always the exception rather than the rule. If you want, I'll type up the whole argument with cash advances that are almost never recouped by record sales and different promotion schemes depending on the level of label involvement with the band. Most bands can make more money now that they don't have to rely on a label for advertising and distribution. You can now get your music online, then people will be more inclined to go to your show since they didn't spend that money on a cd. If you wow them there, they'll buy a record or a shirt or a CD and you'll make more money than a label would pay you.

Everything has changed. They're not getting signed and if they do, they need to start making $ asap or they're out the door.

What does me not buying an album from a band who has a record contract have to do with an an up and comer that doesn't have records in stores?

What does me not buying an album from a band who has a record contract have to do with an an up and comer that doesn't have records in stores?
    Where are the new bands getting $ to fund tours ??

They play local shows, build up a fanbase and start an online hype. And then people from other cities call them and offer them a spot at their venue or they get offered an opening slot, or they call up a bunch of venues, have a secure touring schedule and hope that they recoup their expenses.

Which, for underground bands, is pretty much the same way they've been doing it since the 80s

Where are the new bands getting $ to fund tours ??
    The same place they always did. Are you saying there aren't any new bands touring?

Sorry bmack I keep stepping on your posts it seems.

Nope, we're both just posting the logical responses.