Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Beck, man

Default Re: Let's talk about Beck, man

That's when he was on the line-up, but he's played since then.

'04, sorry.

He needs to come back. Damn it!

The 2004 show was excellent, but he really needs to do a full-production show. In 2004 he did the Gobi, it was very loose (he covered Big Star and used a Gameboy as an instrument) and it was decidedly low-key. I'd love to see him debut a new, nutsoid production-based show and get back to the Crazy Beck we all know and love.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Beck's performance at the Treasure Island Music Festival was one of his best ever. He sang '"Debra" and did a MJ moonwalk. Definitely on his game that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Beck's performance at the Treasure Island Music Festival was one of his best ever. He sang '"Debra" and did a MJ moonwalk. Definitely on his game that night.
    Debra?!?! That's so awesome. The few times i've seen him people have always requested it but he never plays it...

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

He did it at the Echo last time I saw him there and it was excellent. And Sexx Laws!

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Debra?!?! That's so awesome. The few times i've seen him people have always requested it but he never plays it...
    I've never been a setlist elitist, but I would GAH! if he played Debra at a show I watched. It's a modern classic in a world of people who have never heard it.

This was announced today...

http://pitchfork.com/news/52801-beck...pitol-records/

Would love to see him on the polo fields in April!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
    I've never been a setlist elitist, but I would GAH! if he played Debra at a show I watched. It's a modern classic in a world of people who have never heard it.
    When I saw him on the Midnite Vultures tour and he performed "Debra," he humped the floor and told an audience member that her bra would be starched, cleaned, and available for her to pick up at the end of the show after she threw it onstage. No bed descending from the rafters at this show, though.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

please get him on the Polo Fields next year! so bummed I missed him at TI

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Hopes of a second album for '14 at the end of the year, too.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/1...o-more-albums/
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

New song from last night
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

It was a super wonderful night. The clip above sounds great and it should because last night was sonically flawless. i took some pictures:

Moar from the set.

I've only seen him once, it was at Outside Lands in 2012 and I was less than impressed. I'm a pretty big fan and he was my most anticipated set of the weekend, pretty disappointing set and maybe I'm crazy but he seemed bored as hell.

Really would love to see him in 2014 for some redemption.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    I've only seen him once, it was at Outside Lands in 2012 and I was less than impressed. I'm a pretty big fan and he was my most anticipated set of the weekend, pretty disappointing set and maybe I'm crazy but he seemed bored as hell.

Seen him a couple times and OSL2012 was the worst. Mediocre performance, crowd not into it...

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post

to be fair, his health has played a part in his recent shows, but yes, the OSL show was very very basic. the night show at Bimbos however, was great.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I liked, but didn't love the OSL set. The Neil Young cover kind of melted my icy heart. I thought 2012 set was better than the one in 2007 at OSL. Better sound, looser performance, better stage for him.

2012 OSL was the first (and only) I've seen him, and that performance was unfortunately lackluster.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Loving Blue Moon. Excited for this new album.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Loving Blue Moon. Excited for this new album.
    This. Can't believe we may actually get a Beck LP that is deserving of being referred to as a follow-up to Sea Change.

Let's decide this once and for all.

Saying Morning Phase and Sea Change are the same album or that MP is a remake or whatever is about the most surface-level analysis possible. I did think the same thing at first, I mean the opening track sounds a LOT like Golden Age. But from there on, aside from the fact that it's a similarly laidback album it's not really the same at all. This is a much more positive and hopeful sounding record - lots of major chords and warm feelings as opposed to the minor, depressing feeling of SC. Just a really different tone overall. And this sounds like Beck used a full band for a lot of it - most of the songs on SC either had some kind of slight instrumentation or were just Beck and his guitar. I haven't given it enough spins to notice any similarities or differences lyrically yet, but when I hear people saying it's the same record it really makes me scratch my head.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

To me, it sounds like Sea Change. The cover looks like Sea Change. The first word about the album back in October was this:

The album features many of the same musicians from his 2002 album Sea Change (Justin Meldal-Johnsen, Joey Waronker, Smokey Hormel, Roger Joseph Manning Jr., and Jason Falkner). The press release describes it as "a companion piece of sorts" to that album.
    Of course it's not exactly the same album, and it carries a different (less immediately depressing) thematic tone, but I think it's okay to acknowledge that there are significant similarities, and that he is very consciously evoking Sea Change. I suppose the reason I and many others even thought of it as an issue is because of the guy's track record for diving head first into whatever weird genre or ideas he has on each of his albums. He's never really repeated (or evoked, if you want to be more charitable in phrasing it) his prior work in this way before. We may be judging him more harshly just because of who he is, where we are far more forgiving of the Beach Houses or Nationals of the world who do roughly the same album every three years because that's what we've come to expect of them.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Of course it's not exactly the same album, and it carries a different (less immediately depressing) thematic tone, but I think it's okay to acknowledge that there are significant similarities, and that he is very consciously evoking Sea Change. I suppose the reason I and many others even thought of it as an issue is because of the guy's track record for diving head first into whatever weird genre or ideas he has on each of his albums. He's never really repeated (or evoked, if you want to be more charitable in phrasing it) his prior work in this way before. We may be judging him more harshly just because of who he is, where we are far more forgiving of the Beach Houses or Nationals of the world who do roughly the same album every three years because that's what we've come to expect of them.
    well put. I had some of these same thoughts.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sea Change/Morning Phase Beck, but part of me was just disappointed that this is really the first time in his career he's made two records that are this similar, regardless of the level of enjoyment that I get out of this particular style.

although, the hypocrite in me is going, "Midnite Vultures companion piece, please!"

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

Saying Morning Phase and Sea Change are the same album or that MP is a remake or whatever is about the most surface-level analysis possible. I did think the same thing at first, I mean the opening track sounds a LOT like Golden Age. But from there on, aside from the fact that it's a similarly laidback album it's not really the same at all. This is a much more positive and hopeful sounding record - lots of major chords and warm feelings as opposed to the minor, depressing feeling of SC. Just a really different tone overall. And this sounds like Beck used a full band for a lot of it - most of the songs on SC either had some kind of slight instrumentation or were just Beck and his guitar. I haven't given it enough spins to notice any similarities or differences lyrically yet, but when I hear people saying it's the same record it really makes me scratch my head.
    Totally agree here. The chord progressions are a big factor here and you can hear it. Music is, of course, subjective. This certainly seems like the optimist version of Sea Change to me. Just because it "sounds" like Sea Change doesn't mean it's just like it. I feel this is more of the troubadour version of Beck especially in tracks like 'Blue Moon' or 'Country Down'. I think I love Mutations so much because it seems like it wraps up all my favorite things about him. He's an artist you just can't pigeonhole and that's why people love him. I could have sworn I'd never hear 'Debra' live at all. He through it in his Treasure Island Festival set and it was great. Flowed like melted butter. I really feel he's going to be amazing at Coachella this year. We'll get a good diverse set and if he plays 'Debra' again than Arcade Fire better come out with the jams. Also, isn't he supposed to release two records this year? Just sayin. He said after his spine injury he felt amazing. I feel there is a lot left in this man and I can't wait to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    He's never really repeated (or evoked, if you want to be more charitable in phrasing it) his prior work in this way before.
    I'm not sure if I agree with that. The direction he took with Sea Change was pretty unsurprising to anyone who'd given Mutations significant play. I also feel that albums like Guero, The Information and Modern Guilt were derivative of his previous works rather than having their own unique aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

Whoa whoa whoa. You, of all people, are criticizing someone of making a loose comparison without exploring nuance? Hah.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. You, of all people, are criticizing someone of making a loose comparison without exploring nuance? Hah.
    Those were more in jest/for reaction.
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare