Thread: Treasure Island 2009

Default Re: Treasure Island 2009

anyone see mgmt? if so how were they?
    http://soundcloud.com/laflur

Monthly Promotional Mix Series now available

So. Many. Hipsters.

Yea someone was just telling me they heard girl talk was the best act from yesterday.

I decided to wait a little while to go since there are a couple of bands I have no interest listening to (or being around their fans).

Yeah, I guess a better way to qualify it would be hipsters with bad taste.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Im normally pretty indifferent to Girl Talk.
    Yesterday was my 4th time seeing him and I had an incredible time.
    Was wall-to-wall epic funtime.
    Easily the most fun set yesterday.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    So. Many. Hipsters.
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Yea someone was just telling me they heard girl talk was the best act from yesterday.

I decided to wait a little while to go since there are a couple of bands I have no interest listening to (or being around their fans).
    Considering the rest of yesterday's lineup, it's not really a stretch.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

everyone I spoke to that was there yesterday had a blast. I actually wish I had gone yesterday instead of today.

but I got to see Beirut. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    everyone I spoke to that was there yesterday had a blast. I actually wish I had gone yesterday instead of today.

but I got to see Beirut. :-)
    So how was it? I want details.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

it was fun. fucking cold though. I enjoyed it, saw some decent bands and hung out with friends. the fesival was all the usual stuff, token piece of artwork, stilt walkers, people in weird costumes. I am happy I got to see Beirut again (video pending). I was pleasantly surprised by the Decemberists. spent far too much money. in the end I realized how happy I am just being in a music festival setting, especially after dark. lying staring at the dark sky with cool music in the background is blissful.

Full report to come soon. Basically, Sleepy Sun fucking rocked, Grizzly Bear was incredible, Yo La Tengo were fucking awful, and the Flaming Lips were their usual level of underwhelming mediocrity.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

YLT awful? What happened? Seems you were excited to see them. Bummer. How was Thao? Edward Sharpe?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    it was fun. fucking cold though. I enjoyed it, saw some decent bands and hung out with friends. the fesival was all the usual stuff, token piece of artwork, stilt walkers, people in weird costumes. I am happy I got to see Beirut again (video pending). I was pleasantly surprised by the Decemberists. spent far too much money. in the end I realized how happy I am just being in a music festival setting, especially after dark. lying staring at the dark sky with cool music in the background is blissful.
    Sweet, it sure is hard to beat that night time view of SF from TI.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    YLT awful? What happened? Seems you were excited to see them. Bummer. How was Thao? Edward Sharpe?
    Here was the set: "Periodically Double or Triple" from the new album, 12 minute track from the new album, "Stockholm Syndrome", "Here to Fall" from the new album, 20 minute jam over the SAME FOUR FUCKING CHORDS, end of set.

Either there were technical problems or Ira was just being a flat out douche. Awful. Bought a shirt of theirs before the show, too. He didn't address the crowd and it felt very business-like and fucking lame when pretty much every other artist (even Bob Mould) interacted with the audience.

Also, Thao was adorable, cute, very respectful, and definitely manned the main stage. Edward Sharpe wasn't my thing but he got the crowd going numerous times, and the backing band is very talented.
    Upcoming Shows:

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Full report to come soon. Basically, Sleepy Sun fucking rocked, Grizzly Bear was incredible, Yo La Tengo were fucking awful, and the Flaming Lips were their usual level of underwhelming mediocrity.
    Bingo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

I mean... All that needs to be said is at least Justice, last year, didn't have droves of people leaving the festival grounds mid-set.
    Upcoming Shows:

Ok, story time:

My friend and I were sitting next to the bridge stage sound booth waiting through The Decemberists' traveling musical they've got going on right now, and we noticed some guy clearly tripping balls and staring at the sky and making pseudo-worshipping hand movements. Less than 5 minutes later this guy peaks on whatever he is on and begins to essentially interpretive dance the entire The Hazards of Love with specific dances for each song and movement. He had basically a ten foot diameter section to himself because people just backed away and watched as his movements became more and more energetic. I'm talking leaping around and flailing his arms at points. We were dying laughing because had it been any other band besides the fucking Decemberists it would have been a somewhat regular occurrence however the juxtaposition between the band and this guy was hilarious to us.

Finally, during the last reprise or whatever, about 15 people moved in next to him and all begin swaying and throwing their hands to the air, mimicking his movements, and became this throng of ridiculous acid dancing and basically made his fucking night, giving him high fives and hugging him afterwards. It was a far better show than The Decemberists could have ever hoped to achieve on that stage.
    Last edited by Jman4321; 10-19-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

^ Awesome story

During the Decemberists' set at Sasquatch, there was a couple on the ridge clearly having sex, which was witnessed by around 10,ooo people, including the band. It's just too bad that the youtube videos have been taken down.

Along the same lines as your story, this also occurred at Sasquatch:

Oh wait, here is a tame version:

Last edited by fikus222; 10-19-2009 at 12:38 AM.
    9/18 CHVRCHES @ the Fox Theatre
    9/22 Tove Lo @ the Fillmore
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    10/29 PHISH @ Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    10/31 AlunaGeorge @ 1015 (?)
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Flaming Lips - amazing. I touched the bubble! I had a gash of *fake* blood going down my forehead, everyone was creeped out/ loving it. The set list was the usual that we've been seeing lately, but Fight Test, Pompeii, and Enthusiasm for Life are all new for me live (apart from Silver Trembling Hands and Convinced of the Hex). The show started out pretty fucking wild, but they tamed the crowd with their sing alongs and Mystics stuff. I really enjoyed it. Far from mediocre. And the best part was being surrounded by a bunch of first timers at a Lips show - it was refreshing and chilling.

Decemberists - they were accompanied by animation that they will be debuting today. It was nice to see the visuals behind them because there isn't much to look at when the Decemberists play HOL. The set floored most of the crowd, but some found it dragging at points. I think it went well, considering the weather conditions. Shara Worden's voice is stunning.

Beirut - Wintastic!

Grizzly Bear - Epic Win. They shook the stage.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - better than the last time I saw them. Now I'll consider giving the album a spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

It's good to hear Yo La Tengo sucked. Whether or not that's accurate, it makes me feel better about missing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

After this year Treasure Island is officially a hipster douche festival. I stayed for Passion Pit through LTJ Bukem and had a good time...

Passion Pit - Were surprisingly decent live. They played all of the songs I wanted to hear, but it wasn't really the best music for 3 in the afternoon.

Dan Deacon - Shit.

The Streets - Are much better live than they are on record. They actually kind of won me over, although I like a lot of British artists so it maybe due to that.

DJ Krush - I used to listen to DJ Krush back in middle school so it was cool to see him live. In the beginning of his set he seemed to be playing what he thought people wanted to hear. What I mean by that is he was playing uptempo dancey music, but once he started playing 'Kemuri' I was instantly satisfied with his set.

Brazilian Girls - Super fun. Tons of dancing. Favorite set of Saturday.

LTJ Bukem - Danced a bit to LTJ on my way out... fun stuff.

On a different note I am glad I left because as I expected MGMT has decided that trying to perform their music is too much trouble and have decided to sing horribly over what sounds like a backtrack.

Evidence... listen to the music, it sounds EXACTLY like the album...

Everyone I talked to who actually saw the set agrees that it sounded like a backtrack.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

My favorite pic from the Lips set last night.
    We were behind a dude in a Where the Wild Things Are style hat. (so many of those there yesterday)

He adds so much to this picture.

"All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

So. Many. Hipsters.
    I wanted to take a picture of the crowd and caption it: "Find the non-neon glasses faux-hawk leotard bandanna hole-earring guy in this photo!" Like a Where's Waldo?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    My friend saw you while she was in the ferris wheel and she tried to get a closer look by actually leaping out of the ferris wheel but somebody caught her.

grizzly bear was astounding. they sounded amazing, i loved how loud it was (some girl fainted in front of me in part because of the volume). halfway through "ready, able" the sun comes out from the clouds for the first time in hours = beautiful. great venue.

just the teenage hipsters on way too many drugs on saturday was annoying, but expected. saturday sunset was epic
    Iron Maiden, Boards of Canada and Underworld for 2013

After this year Treasure Island is officially a hipster douche festival.
    That's because you went on the hipster douche day. Says something about you, doesn't that?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    That's because you went on the hipster douche day. Says something about you, doesn't that?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Umm that I got comped a VIP ticket and went because I like Brazilian Girls? I guess so.

I'm not getting any in depth Beirut reviews here folks, I need something, anything.

Sleepy Sun - Outrageously gorgeous. It is kinda fucking surreal to see someone who worked in your local record store playing on stage to a couple hundred early-comers to the festival, regardless they put on a great set. I'm not too familiar with Sleepy Sun's recorded material, but they were a great trippy, enjoyable, rockin' fit for early on in the afternoon. If only Wayne Coyne could have been bothered enough to check out the lineup when he asked the crowd if they knew of any great local psychedelic rock bands he could give props too... Rating: 7.5/10

Tommy Guerrero - Didn't really listen to this set. If you like Carlos Santana, you would probably like this. Rating: NA

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down - Thao was very appreciative, generous and kind in saying a couple of times how great it was to be playing for the Bay Area crowd. She's just adorable on stage, especially in her between song banter, but she's definitely got the crowd by the balls with her guitar-wielding skills. I saw a veritable dance party erupt over by the soundbooth, so I know I saw a pretty spectacular set. Rating: 7/10

Spiral Stairs - All I could think about while listening to this was, "this is great... but I'd rather see Pavement live". Rating: NA

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - Despite the fact I'm not really a fan of their music, they definitely kept the crowd going through what was one of the coldest periods of the day. The main dude had the crowd pretty much in the palm of his hand. I would be surprised if they don't play Coachella this year. Rating: 6/10

Grizzly Bear - Second set of the day that I was really excited to see. Going in, I knew that it wouldn't top my experience of seeing them at the Fillmore last summer, but I'll be damned if I ever miss this band live ever again. They are just unreal. Like Jose said earlier, they literally shook the stage with the density and power of their sound. Along with actually bringing out the sun for the first time all day, Ed and co. were really gracious and kind to the crowd, and Drummer Chris made a funny joke about the ferris wheel and whether or not they should ride it (crowd: "no!"). Of the 8 or 9 (fairly sure it was 8) they played almost strictly Veckatimest material. Here's the setlist from memory: "Cheerleader", "Southern Point", "Knife", "Two Weeks", "Ready, Able", "Fine For Now", "On A Neck, On A Spit", "While You Wait For The Others". Par excellence. Rating: 10/10

Bob Mould - According to Andrew it was quieter than his Coachella set, and I'd agree with that. From what I could recall (I was distracted with figuring out how the hell I was getting people home) he retreat through a similar set as his Coachella performance, but I'd definitely ask someone else for the particulars. He definitely had a huge part of the crowd going off, especially when he announced that he had just finished moving to the Bay Area. Rating: 7/10

The Walkmen: Well... I kinda wished I knew more of their music. That detracted from really enjoying their set, but the crowd they gathered (a large one at that) really enjoyed the tunes. -shrug- Oh well. Rating: 6/10

Yo La Tengo: I've already said enough about this. Rating: 2/10

The Flaming Lips: Never in my life have I seen so many bands fleeing from the headlining act of a festival in such quick succession as I did last night. Whether it was the really shitty acapella renditions of Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots and Do You Realize?, the inclusion of songs that no one fucking knows (Pompeii), the excruciatingly long breaks between songs or the fact that for all the bullshit jargon Wayne spewed during said breaks about this being a special show, that the Bay Area is like a home for freaks like him, that indicate that it would be something incredible, it far from delivered. The Flaming Lips weren't as flat out awful as Yo La Tengo but in a way they were more of a disappointment. Convinced of the Hex sounded great, and as we were leaving they finally launched into the full band versions of their good songs, but at that point it was too little, too late. Rating: 4/10
    Upcoming Shows:

Passive...

NO BEIRUT?!?!