Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some bands that I like that I'd like you to like.

Default Some bands that I like that I'd like you to like.

I get asked a lot about what other bands I like.

I know that this is largely because I spend so much time huffing over one particular band - like a creepy pervert - that people find it hard to imagine that there's anything else on my MP3 player. But yes, I do like other bands. Lots of them. So let's try a bit of give and take.

I'm going to post a bunch of bands, and songs, that I love very much and would like other people to enjoy. Afterwards, I would like people to listen to, and comment on, these songs, before themselves following suit and posting some songs of their own selection. Because experience has proven that we need rules to control the fun, and in order to prevent this from turning into another thread where everybody silently posts their youtube history at each other, these here shall be the guidelines.

1. Babbling about previously posted songs, whether you've posted your own or not, is strongly encouraged.
      I like chatter. However-

2. Before you post your own selection you must listen to, and comment on, at least four other songs from other posters.
      Make an effort to hear as many as possible, but at least four. And read old pages, lazy-asses. It's all about the exchange, people.

3. Songs must from youtube, and be embedded.
      Use the following format, please.

[B]Band Name - Song Name[/B]

[YT]Youtube Link goes here[/YT]
      I like this band because they remind me of all those murders I did, etc.

4. Post your selections in reasonable sizes.
      Don't post in bits and pieces all over the thread, don't post a giant impenetrable doom block.

5. Please throw in a quick comment with each video to sell it to us.
      Why you like it, trivia about the band, where you heard it first, whatever. Just something to spark a conversation about it.

6. One song from each band. ONE SONG FROM EACH BAND.
      No more. If somebody else has posted from a band and you think you've got a better song or better version to recommend them, that's fine, just don't pimp the same band endlessly. It would be nice if you could pick something unexpected.

7. Play what we wanna hear, yo.
      I'm looking for great songs and bands that you love, and think we might have overlooked unfairly. But they are not necessarily your favourite or the best; nor the most obscure. Just good stuff that you think deserves to be heard, and great stuff we might have missed.

Please bear in mind that I'm going to listen to every single song that's posted here unless I've heard it before.

By which I mean "Please don't post shite."

So here goes.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 04-28-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Default Re: Some bands that I like that I'd like you to like.

Parenthetical Girls - Song For Ellie Greenwich

I saw them play in a tiny pub last year largely because a friend of mine was opening for them. I had no idea what they were about, and wasn't overly interested, until they started playing and I had a total "Holy fucking shit" moment. I'd never heard anything like it, and it was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to. Disarmingly sweet melodies, with really nervy raw lyrics that make me wince a little, which I think is the point. If they ever play near you, kill to get there.

Cass McCombs - I Went To The Hospital

I'll make a confession right here and now - I know next to nothing about Cass McCombs, and only heard this because Win Butler called it one of the best albums he'd ever heard. He was right, and I've listened to this song about four billion times since I heard it first. When I listen to it, I think I can hear what other people can hear when they listen to Neutral Milk Hotel.

The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health

The Knife are weird. Really good though. Um. I'm not really sure what you can say about them beyond that. "Really Good" and "Weird" are kinda the key concepts though. That video is not recommended for those of a delicate or chemically-induced oversensitive disposition.

Feist - I Feel It All

I used to work in a shop that sold iPods, and it took a long time before I could listen to 1234 without an involuntary nervous twitch. Thing I keep forgetting is, regardless of how eager Feist is to sell her music to literally every ad company on earth, she's still a fantastic singer, tremendous songwriter, and cracking guitarist. She never fails to make a tremendous video, neither - the pyrotechnics would leave the IRA themselves feeling inadequate and ashamed.

Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights

Yeah you've heard of them. But have you listened to them? 'Cause they're great. Were great, whatever. This song has my favorite intro of any song, ever, and I wish Youtube weren't such a pain in the ass about killing the real video.

Land of Talk - Speak To Me Bones

Elizabeth Powell has my favourite voice in rock music. When I'm playing Guitar Hero, I'm secretly pretending to be her. Land of Talk are nice, snarly rock with lots of hooks, and it's a matter of sheer consecutive misfortunes that they aren't a lot bigger than they are.

Bell Orchestre - Water/ Light/ Shifts

I was kinda resistant to Bell Orchestre, because I'm not usually a huge fan of instrumental stuff and I had, foolishly, written them off as a side project of a load of other bands. Great though, really great.

Gutter Twins - All Misery/Flowers

Saw them play at Electric Picnic last year. Dulli looked disinterested and Lanegan looked exhausted. They just looked like they didn't give a shit, and not in a cool, badass kind of way. And you know what, they were still biblically epic. I was totally and completely obsessed with Saturnalia for a couple of weeks, and this song in particular. It was perfect right then, because I was listening to it at the same time as I was reading The Road. What a beast bastard of an album that is.

I was gonna throw in something by LCD Soundsystem, but EMI have blocked embedding on all their shit, so fuck 'em.

Now then, show me yours.

Wheels Of Cheese

Parenthetical Girls - Song For Ellie Greenwich- Awesome melodica intro haha
    Bell Orchestra - I just bought that little EP thing they made awhile back, and I cackle that you submitted an AF side project.
    Land of Talk - Speak to me Bones - I agree, I love her voice! Kind of smokey and deeper, I appreciate that.
    Gutter Twins - All Misery/ Flowers -I'll keep listening, although it didn't really jump out to me.

MewithoutYou - Bullet to Binary pt. 2

These guys deserve so much more, just because they happen to be a religious group people tend to throw them aside... anyways, this is technically a leak, but it seems like their most accessible stuff. Check out "In a sweater poorly knit"
    Last edited by Still-ill; 04-25-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: accidently submitted

I quite like Parenthetical Girls, though I'd not seen that video - Thank you for posting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Damn, busted. Didn't include Final Fantasy for that very reason.

Bullet to Binary (pt. two) - mewithoutYou - This really reminds me of something, and I'm not quite sure what. Like... if Nick Cave had weird mutant children with the B-52's and Cold War Kids and Man Man? I really like from 4.10 on.

okay, MP, first of all, i'm swooning over you for making this thread.

Parenthetical Girls - An excellent choice. Seeing them live was incredible to observe.
    Cass McCombs - Sorry, but i got bored
    Land of Talk - They seem pretty awesome. I'm getting on that.
    Death from Above 1979 - That song may get me interested.
    Gutter Twins - Not feeling it.

Still-Ill,
    Mewithoutyou - They sound like an over energized Okkervil River with a punk influence. However, the singer's voice is really turning me off. Although, the last minute of the song sounds quite nice.

expect some familiar posts from me soon . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Damn, busted. Didn't include Final Fantasy for that very reason.

Bullet to Binary (pt. two) - mewithoutYou - This really reminds me of something, and I'm not quite sure what. Like... if Nick Cave had weird mutant children with the B-52's and Cold War Kids and Man Man? I really like from 4.10 on.
    Yeah I'm glad to here it, they seem to be really influenced Neutral Milk Hotel. Their album Brother, Sister was one of the best of 2006 easily... and Catch for us the foxes, was really top notch too. The new album just sounds like a story book put to music.

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Parenthetical Girls - An excellent choice. Seeing them live was incredible to observe.
    When I'm old and incontinent, I will still be trying and failing to describe how mind-expanding that experience was, in terms of the music I listen to.

I had no idea, I had absolutely no idea.

EDIT:
    Somebody actually asked me to review the show afterwards, and I eventually had to decline; simply because they were so amazing that I just couldn't think of a fucking thing to say that would do them justice.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 04-25-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Question Re: Some bands that I like that I'd like you to like.

When I'm old and incontinent, I will still be trying and failing to describe how mind-expanding that experience was.

I had no idea, I had absolutely no idea.
    We're on the same page. I just wanted to watch Los Campesinso! and then Parenthetical Girls were just there to fuck with me for a good forty-five minutes. It was a great night.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

You're ambitious, which is fun and all, but come on. You know this forum. I predict derailment by page 3.

Also I think it is fair to assume that some of these bands are going to be well known by the general populous here and therefore dont need to be highlighted (The Knife, DFA, etc). Speaking of The Knife (who coincidentally I happen to be listening to at the time of this writing), saying they are really good and weird doesn't tell me or others much about them. Maybe highlight what kind of music it is, mood/feel, instrumentation if it is something out of the usual; you get the idea.

I'm not trying to shit on your thread here, I just think it can achieve more with slightly less regulation. I am going to break your commenting rule and amount rule and post a video and then gtfo.

Shivaree - Goodnight Moon

You may remember this track from the Kill Bill soundtrack. It was introduced to me by a fellow board member a few years ago and I fell in love with it then. Sadly I feel this is the only notable track from the band, but that's their fault. Goodnight Moon is a sexy, shuffling alt-country/americana/ spooky western sounding kind of tune with wonderfully haunting backing vocals and a lead vocal that doesn't quit. It's one of those songs that makes me want to take my clothes off.

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Wheels Of Cheese

If you don't mind I'll keep it rolling

Jellyfish - The King is Half Undressed

I saw this band for free in San Francisco Golden Gate Park in '94... I was just a kid but they have always stuck with me a bit. I'm glad for this thread because I hadn't listened to them in years : ). With a sound that infectious I don't know how they didn't make it...

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    You're ambitious, which is fun and all, but come on. You know this forum. I predict derailment by page 3.
    I know, I've steeled myself for it.

Also I think it is fair to assume that some of these bands are going to be well known by the general populous here and therefore dont need to be highlighted (The Knife, DFA, etc). Speaking of The Knife (who coincidentally I happen to be listening to at the time of this writing)
    Fair, but neither are headliners or subheadliners, and I find myself consistently surprised at how many people haven't actually listened to both/either of them.

saying they are really good and weird doesn't tell me or others much about them.
    Point taken. But... eh... it's The Knife.

Goodnight Moon is a sexy, shuffling alt-country/americana/ spooky western sounding kind of tune with wonderfully haunting backing vocals and a lead vocal that doesn't quit. It's one of those songs that makes me want to take my clothes off.
    I wore a hole in my KB2 soundtrack for this song, and for the Malcolm McLaren one. Always had a feeling it might be a one off though, yes.

Point taken. But... eh... it's The Knife.
    How about:

We Share Our Mothers Health from Sweden based brother-sister duo The Knife sounds like an evil Toys-R-Us come to life after the store has closed. With a bass line that sounds like a swarm of wasps and a break from traditional dance oriented percussion, this band crafts a new kind of electronic dance music.

I mean sure it's a little pretentious, but you said to sell the videos. What I wrote makes me want to invest the time.
    last.fm

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes

This is a song I don't see him ever not performing. It's very thunderous. Yeah, thunderous is the best word to describe this song. Andrew Bird is a real treat. His quirky whistling, clever violin plucking, and incorporating that into some jazzy compositions makes him something of a joy to watch live. Although, listener beware, he does tone things down on some his songs and often can take a while to build them. However, he does have songs like this one that can be in your face.

The Decemberists - Los Angeles, I'm Yours

Here's a shortened version of one of my favorite songs. Along with Bird, I will never stop trying to convince people of the Decemberists. This is an awesome song with some pretty funny, poetic, and appropriate imagery.

Dungen - Det Tar Tid

I couldn't find the song I was looking for, but this one is a good showing of Dungen's stuff. Psychedelic Swedish music. That's it. I mean, they can get into some jazz and they can add some classic rock riffs, but I like it for its trippiness. Plus, Swedish vocals are just so friggin' cool.

Balmorhea - Settler/ March 4 1831

I just got into this band. They're an instrumental band and are a delight to fall asleep to. It's very calming and gentle. I think liking this band could get me into Belle Orchestre and I think liking Belle Orchestre could get you into this band.
    Last edited by zenidogx; 04-25-2009 at 08:28 PM.

I'm off to bed, shall catch up tomorrow, don't take the piss in the meantime.

I'd not heard of Mink Lungs before they opened for Luna at CBGB on New Year's Eve a decade ago. Maybe it was the complimentary plastic flute of champagne talking, or the fact that one of the guys in the band gave me a free 7-inch single (which I promptly lost in the apartment of a friend of a friend), but I fell in love with their unhinged indie mess that night. They weren't long for the world, but maybe it's better that way.

The Make-Up were a pretty spiffy psychedelic band from Washington DC with lots of dark stabbing organ noises and cool hair and shit. And all those kids look like they're having fun, and it makes me wish I'd heard of them when they were still around instead of having to go back and trace a line from Weird War...

...who I only discovered because they played this song live on a Pancake Mountain DVD a friend of mine gave my daughter when she was three. I like Weird War, though maybe not as much as the Make-Up.

I can't even remember where I first heard the Stairs, but it was so long ago, they were still actually a band. An excellent approximation of early '60s British R&B, right down to the trousers. And trousers are really what rock & roll is all about. Just ask the Rutles.

The Third Wave was five sisters from Stockton, CA making gloriously light (and sorta strange) music around 40 years ago. According to the YouTube info, the album (which is well worth seeking out) was re-released a decade ago on Crippled Dick Hot Wax Records. What I wouldn't give for a t-shirt from that label!

I do agree with hawkingvsreeve - I'm not sure I'm naming anyone that hasn't been heard by many of the far cooler folks on the forum than myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Alrighty...

The Helio Sequence

A northwestern pacific indie band out of Portland, the Helio Sequence are a two-piece featuring a former member of Modest Mouse. They do not sound like Modest Mouse. The lead singer damaged his voice before the recording of their last record, 2008's severly underrated Keep Your Eyes Ahead, and the results, as you can experience above, are staggering. I had the pleasure of seeing these guys, who I didn't realize were a two-piece before hand, open for the Dandy Warhols last fall and they filled the Warfield to the brim with their sound. It was fucking impressive.

Grand Archives

Also a northwestern indie band with members from other more popular indie bands (the lead singer used to be in Band of Horses), Grand Archives' self-titled release last year set them apart in the fact that they weren't afraid to draw upon gorgeous vocal harmonies akin to Fleet Foxes and follow it up with the rapturous rock of a near-Hold Steady-like track (in terms of energy). Definitely a band worth checking out, also very sad that GV didn't pick up on them and book them for Coachella this year; when I saw them at the Echo last summer, the backup singer/second guitarist told me they'd love to play it if asked.

James Rabbit

I don't usually shill local bands because, let's face it, both Santa Cruz and San Diego have been perpetual shit holes for decent music since music's ever had a continuum for decency. That being said, Santa Cruz's own James Rabbit are a band apart. The video I posted doesn't nearly do the group's raucous live performance justice. Working in motown covers and cult classics before snapping back into a frenzied assault of punk energy and guitar-driven madness, James Rabbit, hopefully, will have people talking about Santa Cruz's local music scene in the future. Doubtful, but these guys deserve to be successful regardless.

Julie Doiron

For a better, non-live version of the song, listen here: Consolation Prize.

Basically, Julie Doiron is what happens when you take sweet, Canadian female singer-songwriter indie music (Feist) and combine it with kickass guitar badassery that hasn't been seen on that side of the border since... Uh... The chick who worked with Godspeed. She lures you in with the graceful tone of her voice and just devastates you with her confident and emotional delivery. Her 2009 release, I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day, is among my favorites of the year thus far.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Thank god for this thread. I'll reply and post later on in the day

Death From Above 1979's You're A Woman, Im A Machine is definately one of the best albums of the 2000's. Front to back, that album is incredible. Everytime I listen to them I want to cry because I am most likely never going to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Land of Talk.
    LAND OF FUCKING TALK!

Elizabeth Powell has my favourite voice in rock music. When I'm playing Guitar Hero, I'm secretly pretending to be her. Land of Talk are nice, snarly rock with lots of hooks, and it's a matter of sheer consecutive misfortunes that they aren't a lot bigger than they are.
    I knew I loved Missing Person.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    Land of Talk.
    LAND OF FUCKING TALK!
    I love them so hard it wears me out sometimes. I posted it a few times I know, but the song she did with Bell Orchestre is beautiful, and I wish they'd record it properly some time.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I do agree with hawkingvsreeve - I'm not sure I'm naming anyone that hasn't been heard by many of the far cooler folks on the forum than myself.
    Aw, that's not what this thread is necessarily about though. I'm less concerned with hearing new music than I am about having a bit of a chat about songs or bands that wouldn't otherwise come up in conversation. On the one hand, you needn't bother posting Smells Like Teen Spirit - but on the other hand, no way everybody's heard every one of the bands on your iPod.

I just think it can achieve more with slightly less regulation.
    I've started a few threads along similar lines, and without fail, they always end the same way. I mean, check it out, we're less than a page in, and already I think the point has been missed more than once.

Take note - This is not a playlist thread. I am going to listen to everything posted so far, but for future reference; if you aren't going to bother listening to stuff that's already been posted and offering some feedback on it, you can't expect anybody to do that in return. If you haven't posted about something that's been posted already, I'm not going to bother listening to your tracks.

Give and take, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    If you don't mind I'll keep it rolling

Jellyfish - The King is Half Undressed
    Uh, this video is currently sending me to a National Geographic documentary about swarms of Jellyfish unbalancing the ecosystem.

Andrew Bird - Fake Palindromes
    This is cool. I was kind of expecting it to be a bit more mellow, 'cause I usually only hear of the guy in the context of conversations about Owen Pallett, and his Dark Was The Night song was a lot more chill. This is fun. Swirly?

The Decemberists - Los Angeles, I'm Yours
    I have mixed feelings about the Decemberists. The guy's voice drives me nuts, and sometimes their themes are just cartoonishly miserable. This is fairly jaunty though, and the punchy guitar is distracting me from the damn voice.

Dungen - Det Tar Tid
    This is bizarre. And reminds me, you guys don't have the Eurovision song contest. I... it sounds kinda like Air and Malajube?

Balmorhea - Settler/ March 4 1831
    This is nice. More like Efterklang than Bell Orchestre, I think?

Mink Lungs
    This is so Nineties my jeans are stonewashing themselves even as I wear them.

The Make Up - Save Yourself
    Reminds me of Clinic. A lot. Oh, and the Julie Driscoll version of This Wheel's On Fire.

Weird War - Girls Like That
    I think Fun Lovin' Criminals would have sounded like this, if things had been different. Having done a bit of homework on them after hearing this, I'm kind of surprised; they sound like nutjobs, but this is wholly listenable. Indeed, pleasingly funky.

The Stairs - Weed Bus
    The 90's?!?! This was the 90's?!? Their attention to retro detail is eerie.

Third Wave - Waves Lament
    When I own a sexy red velvet-clad mansion with loads of rotating beds, this music will be playing always.

HvR: Nice call on "Goodnight Moon". The rest of their CD was forgettable, but that was a damn good song.

Lee: I the Helio Sequence. The husband and I saw them for 10 bucks at a 300-capacity club in Dallas about a year ago.

MP: I had never listened to DFA 1979 before because the descriptions I'd read of their sound didn't appeal to me. Not sure if I'd want to listen to them on record, but I bet they put on a helluva live show. Get back together, please.

Guster - Come Downstairs & Say Hello

I don't necessarily think this clip will win Guster any new fans, but it's one of my favorite songs ever.

Ben Folds - Still Fighting It

I love Ben Folds, solo and with the "Five". This song breaks my heart.

Old 97s - Timebomb

I just did some math, and I have loved this band for half of my life. Scary. I've seen them at least 5 or 6 times, and they never disappoint live.

Hum - Green To Me

The fact that Hum reunited for a couple of Chicago shows gives me hope that they will tour. I guess I should just be thankful that I saw them before they went kaput.

Jeremy Enigk - Abegail Anne

Gorgeous song from Jeremy Enigk's gorgeous record Return of the Frog Queen. I love his voice so much.

Sunny Day Real Estate - Seven

Hey...this guy sounds familiar. Could it be...Jeremy Enigk?!

Dismemberment Plan - Time Bomb

Breaks my heart that I didn't see this band live before they broke up. The drummer owns.

The Format - Dog Problems

Why do all the good bands break up, damn it? Saw them open for Guster. Loved them.
    Last edited by rskapcat; 04-26-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

MP, I wholeheartedly support this thread and I promise to respond and post some favorites of my own in the coming days. I will say, though, that I love that Gutter Twins song. I was a middling Screaming Trees fan in the 80's and 90's, but I was a huge Afghan Whigs fan. When Lollapalooza was still a traveling fest, Dulli somehow ended up sitting right in front of me at a stop in Cincinnati. I played the drooling fanboy and he was totally cool. I didn't have anything else for him to sign, so he autographed a $1 bill for me. Anyway, yeah. Gutter Twins seems like such a logical pairing, and this song captures that perfectly.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, Bell Orchestre still hasn't clicked with me. I want to like them, and it seems like I should, but the song you posted kind of clarifies why it hasn't worked for me. It seems like a slightly watered-down version of other largely instrumental bands that do this kind of thing much better.

More to come. Oh, and people: follow the rules. Respond to previously posted songs before you post songs of your own. I'm looking at you, Passive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Bell Orchestre are, to be fair, the kind of band that I think only ever work an album at a time. And I do think - sh, don't tell anybody - that their first album was uh, better.

Lanegan and Dulli never quite captured my imagination in their other projects, but something about Gutter Twins just seizes me. I think it's the giant sense of doom.

My headphones are busy just now, but I will catch up in a bit, folks.

Becca, I didn't know our music tastes ran so parallel. Love Old97s, love D-Plan, love Hum, Love Sunny Day.

We both suffer from the same love for late 90s indie bands who are since broken up.

Also for the record, D-Plan were great live.
    last.fm

Becca, I didn't know our music tastes ran so parallel. Love Old97s, love D-Plan, love Hum, Love Sunny Day.

We both suffer from the same love for late 90s indie bands who are since broken up.

Also for the record, D-Plan were great live.
    Aww...that's awesome! Soooo jealous you saw D-Plan. I'm happy I saw Hum & Sunny Day back in the day.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Indeed. We are even, sorta. I'd say you have a slight edge.

I only like SDRE's later stuff though, after Jeremy finally learned how to sing. Rising Tide is ace. How It Feels... is great as well.
    last.fm

Becca, you turned me on to Guster a while back. Thanks for that.

I will post some stuff and give my opinions of a few of the posted vids later on tonite. Right now work beckons.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Responses:

Parenthetical Girls - "Song for Ellie Greenwich"

I am a big fan of this band. I saw them July 2006 in a tiny local venue called the Trunk Space. I think I had heard good things via another forum. Oh man. His voice is crazy emotional. They played "I Was The Dancer" and that would be high on a list of best live performances.

I don't think I had heard this song; it is good... but I tire of them somewhat on CD.

Cass McCombs

I vaguely remember him from his opening slot on the 2005 Modest Mouse tour. He played 1st, before Mason Jennings. I don't remember him doing much for me there; this song doesn't do much for me either.

The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health

OK, I know who they are but, well, I might not have listened to them. I mean, other than well, a few tracks (including this very song) from a couple mixes posted here over the years.

This song is big and bassy and has a good groove. I bet I could like them if'n I became invested in doing so - like, say, if they were coming to town or a festival I was attending, etc - but that's not terribly likely, now, is it. But maybe.

I like Feist, don't really like DFA and will skip them. For now, at least.

Land of Talk - Speak To Me Bones

Umm. Wow. This is high energy, dynamic rock. She does have a good voice and the song has a good build. I want to hear more.

I am a fan of both Bell Orchestre and Gutter Twins (though I've heard little of the latter) and will skip them for now.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.