Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4748495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1792

Thread: The Pitchfork News/reviews thread

Default Re: The Pitchfork News/reviews thread

I really hope that the "Vampire Weekend is better than My Bloody Valentine" conflict that I am imagining actually comes true.
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

The National gets a 8.9?

Outside of "Diane Young" and it's fairly awkward track placement, I think the album is fucking flawless.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The National gets a 8.9?
    Is this a prediction?

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Quote Originally Posted by Jman4321 View Post
    I really hope that the "Vampire Weekend is better than My Bloody Valentine" conflict that I am imagining actually comes true.
    Looks like it did. Pitchfork gave it a 9.3.

The new National album deserves nothing above a 6.9. It's time critics stop applauding them for giving listeners more of the same. At least with Vampire Weekend, they put more effort into the writing even though it keeps the same pace of sound on their earlier albums.

But this National album... I guess if you're the type who will love whatever they make, then you're probably disagreeing with me big time right now, but I personally got tired of the same ol' same ol' on High Violet and predicted I'd be totally indifferent to whatever came next, which I am.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    The new National album deserves nothing above a 6.9.
    go fuck yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    go fuck yourself.
    Come next week, the great divide between blind faith National devotees and those bored with their played out style will reveal itself hard.

Edit: It's also telling that a few of Pitchfork's veteran writers have tweeted out jokes about the new National material that leads me to believe their cool factor on there has lost its value. My personal opinion is the album doesn't warrant anything about a 7, but realistically, a score in the 7s or low 8s without a BNM is highly likely.
    Last edited by kahaha; 05-13-2013 at 06:24 AM.

i'm referring to your claim that the album is only good enough for a 6.9, and could not possibly be given a *gasp* 7.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Simmer down, simmer down, we're all entitled to our own opinions and how much a rating an album is worth out of a 10.0 scale...

the fact the scale goes down to .1 is absurd in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensWeep View Post
    Predictions
    Modern Vampires of the City - 9.3 BNM
    Trouble Will Find Me - 8.0
    Boom. If the National gets an 8.0, I will graciously accept the title of Nostradamus of the Coachella Forum. But really though, it doesn't take Miss Cleo to figure out how predictable the internet is.

I disagree with the National view, but that is exactly how I feel with Beach House at this point. You can't record the same album four times and have people call it better each time.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Totally not the same album at all.

I'm torn on the National thing. I completely agree with bmack on the point that you can't make the same album 4 times and it does seem like a fair argument to me, however, I really enjoy Trouble Will Find Me and think plenty of critics will end up arguing that it's their best album. But finding stylistic differences between it and even Boxer is somewhat tough. The melodies are certainly more varied with Pink Rabbits being one of the more unique National songs. I kind of chalk it up to incredibly gifted and intelligent dudes mastering their style and refining it. The songwriting, however similar it may be, is still of expert quality, arrangements, lyrics, and all. But I just can totally sympathize with the Beach House comparison, it does sound very similar.

Beach House and the National are both similar in that the palate they are working with is so specific and developed that things can start to sound samey and formulaic from album-to-album. I totally understand that criticism. However, I think the ultimate triumph of both bands is that the texture of their songs are so fussed over and detailed. Subsequent listens can show plenty of novelty as they work towards the perfection of the same set of ideas that they've been grappling with for years.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Totally not the same album at all.
    Yeah, I don't think it sounds anything like High Violet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Just to clarify for those of you who only read briefly, I am saying that about Beach House. The National have not done that in my mind, as there are some decent differences between each of the last three albums in my mind. Haven't heard the new one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I disagree with the National view, but that is exactly how I feel with Beach House at this point. You can't record the same album four times and have people call it better each time.
    I agree with ya. Beach house are terrible. I still remember seeing them open up for Grizzly Bear in 2007. The same three boring arpeggiated reverbed chords through the whole set. Every song sounded the same. The only remarkable thing about it was how bad the songwriting was....

The National write great songs, although they haven't expanded their sound too much from the get go but that's fine with me. I will always remember Matt sneaking me in 2005 because they played at this tiny bar in Philly and I wasn't 21 yet.

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Oh, I misread what you wrote Bryan - my bad.

To be fair, the differences between Beach House's first and most recent albums are pretty noticeable. I won't deny that they've been resting on a singular sound for years now, but it's definitely theirs and theirs alone at this point amongst their musical peers.
    with all the pain in the world and Urban Outfitters sadding the navajo yall should not use the word "scalpers" please increase the peace.

Bon Jovi has their own sound, that doesn't mean it's any good.

Just to clarify for those of you who only read briefly, I am saying that about Beach House. The National have not done that in my mind, as there are some decent differences between each of the last three albums in my mind. Haven't heard the new one yet.
    I think the underlying thing here is that you just don't like Beach House. Which is fine, obviously. I've grown to really love them over the years, and when I've listened to them in depth I've been able to notice a ton of progression in their songwriting and in the music. But, if you go into an album of theirs with your hands on your hips so to speak, I can see how it could all sound the same.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it sounds anything like High Violet.
    Nor does it sound anything like Boxer or Alligator for that matter. It sounds like new ground to my ears. I've only listened to it once though.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Clearly. The specific nature of that sound has to be taken into account when making any judgment of quality. GWAR does their own thing too. For me, there are situations wherein a kind of "monosound" isn't enough to downplay the band wholesale. Both Beach House and The National are such cases for me. I'm not trying to offer a universal rule, but rather just an example of what affects my own listening.

*With regards to Bon Jovi.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I think the underlying thing here is that you just don't like Beach House. Which is fine, obviously. I've grown to really love them over the years, and when I've listened to them in depth I've been able to notice a ton of progression in their songwriting and in the music. But, if you go into an album of theirs with your hands on your hips so to speak, I can see how it could all sound the same.
    I like one to two songs per album and everything else is just atmosphere. So, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kahaha View Post
    The new National album deserves nothing above a 6.9. It's time critics stop applauding them for giving listeners more of the same. At least with Vampire Weekend, they put more effort into the writing even though it keeps the same pace of sound on their earlier albums.

But this National album... I guess if you're the type who will love whatever they make, then you're probably disagreeing with me big time right now, but I personally got tired of the same ol' same ol' on High Violet and predicted I'd be totally indifferent to whatever came next, which I am.
    So, what you're saying is, even though Vampire Weekend suck, they deserve more praise and a higher rating than the National because they "put more effort into the writing".

I'm not sure who you are to judge or compare effort, unless you were in both studios during songwriting and recording sessions. In my opinion, The National are just a better band than Vampire Weekend, and much more talented. With or without the effort.
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    The National write great songs, although they haven't expanded their sound too much from the get go but that's fine with me. I will always remember Matt sneaking me in 2005 because they played at this tiny bar in Philly and I wasn't 21 yet.
    #humblebrag
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    So, what you're saying is, even though Vampire Weekend suck, they deserve more praise and a higher rating than the National because they "put more effort into the writing".

I'm not sure who you are to judge or compare effort, unless you were in both studios during songwriting and recording sessions. In my opinion, The National are just a better band than Vampire Weekend, and much more talented. With or without the effort.
    A fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post

I don't think I ever said VW sucked, but what I am saying is that they took a familiar sound they've been working with over the past two albums, brought in a phenomenal outside producer in Ariel Reichstadt who poured beautiful pop shellac over every instrument and sound on top of Ezra Koenig writing the best lyrics he's ever written for their music and the end result is a more remarkable listen even though it's the same style of music they've worked with all along.

With the National, it's the same ol' sound and production. Hey Matt Berninger, we get it... You're a drunken mess always fucking up relationships with crazy women, but I don't want to hear you mumble about it anymore. Go sing about it to someone who hasn't heard the same sob story for the past 7 years.

After High Violet, it would have made sense if the the National pulled an Arcade Fire and went for the big festival/arena-packing sound which I wouldn't come down hard on, but instead they're giving us sleepy Boxer b-sides.
    Last edited by kahaha; 05-13-2013 at 10:35 AM.