Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1794

Thread: The Pitchfork News/reviews thread

Default Re: The Pitchfork News/reviews thread

BNM is an editorial designation that is awarded distinct from the writer's album score:

Best New Music: Explained!
    Q: How does Pitchfork's Best New Music system work? I've read reviews where two albums get a score of say 8.2, but one is BNM and the other isn't. --Aurora Nuncio
    A: The truth of it is breathtakingly simple: Editors choose Best New Music albums based on the records that we think are the cream of the crop. These are excellent records that we feel transcend their scene and genre. When an album gets Best New Music, we think there's a very good chance that someone who doesn't generally follow this specific sphere of music will find a lot to enjoy in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    8.5 or higher I think.
    that most recent one and demarco both had under an 8.2 and got it so im not sure, that usually seems the case though

And yeah, for me the Men album was the best thing released this week, but I guess they're thinking that a fourth BNM in one week would be overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    And yeah, for me the Men album was the best thing released this week, but I guess they're thinking that a fourth BNM in one week would be overkill.
    yeah true. Its just perplexing because I think the men and nick cave have had the best albums this year, and although they got good scores, they didnt receive the title. but neither did Hot Chip last year and that was on their top 50 while some of the bnm's werent?

Hey now, I like reading P4k reviews and articles as much as the next guy. The writing quality, organization, and professionalism are among the best on the interwebs. Probably the best. But sometimes I think we might be putting a little too much faith in P4k as the official doctrine for modern musical evaluation. As mentioned above, I also think Nick Cave has released one of the best albums so far this year, but P4k's progressive agenda will always outweigh any conservative proclivities that might be implied through a BNM tag. Understandably, though. I mean, they don't want to become the 21st-century Rolling Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensWeep View Post
    Hey now, I like reading P4k reviews and articles as much as the next guy. The writing quality, organization, and professionalism are among the best on the interwebs. Probably the best. But sometimes I think we might be putting a little too much faith in P4k as the official doctrine for modern musical evaluation. As mentioned above, I also think Nick Cave has released one of the best albums so far this year, but P4k's progressive agenda will always outweigh any conservative proclivities that might be implied through a BNM tag. Understandably, though. I mean, they don't want to become the 21st-century Rolling Stone.
    Oh I totally agree, if you like something, you should establish your own opinion. I dont just listen to the bnm's I just they overlook some things.

For sure. Not disagreeing with you or anything.
    All's I'm saying is that the ratings and "best new whatevers" more so reflect the direction they desire than the actual quality of the music. As is any indie music site in this fragile blogosphere, they're perpetually in danger of sinking below the curve.

I'm pretty anti-Pitchfork overall. It seems like too many people see the scores before listening to an album, thus making it nearly impossible to listen to something for the first time objectively. I do, however, think they break/rank all kinds of different bands and albums that I otherwise might not hear about, so I do like them for that.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-men-new-moon/

8.2 no BNM. Not sure if that's what you guys are alluding to with all of the chatter above, but just wanted to offically put this here. No way is Wondrous Bughouse even close to as good as New Moon.

Wonderous Bughouse is a fine record that through no fault of its own symbolizes everything that I've grown tired and bored of with contemporary indie. I feel like Beavis watching Pavement on MTV (at the point when Pavement's style of indie rock had officially played itself to death, irrespective of the fact that Wowee Zowee was itself incredible): "oh no, it's another one of these."

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Wonderous Bughouse is a fine record that through no fault of its own symbolizes everything that I've grown tired and bored of with contemporary indie. I feel like Beavis watching Pavement on MTV (at the point when Pavement's style of indie rock had officially played itself to death, irrespective of the fact that Wowee Zowee was itself incredible): "oh no, it's another one of these."
    Haha very well put.

I actually disagree with you about it being a fine record, however. I just find it incredibly grating and sort of thrown together. I loved Year Of Hibernation for all of its limitations and he's just expanded out his sound into every conceivable directional touchstone without any sense of cohesion--not even track to track either; even within the tracks there are elements that make no sense being together.
    Last edited by jeffp1717; 03-08-2013 at 11:11 AM.

fucking ridiculous

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Quote Originally Posted by jeffp1717 View Post
    I just find it incredibly grating and sort of thrown together. I loved Year Of Hibernation for all of its limitations and he's just expanded out his sound into every conceivable directional touchstone without any sense of cohesion--not even track to track either; even within the tracks there are elements that make no sense being together.
    Well put

Disagree -- I'd be curious to hear what specifically your speaking of when you say elements that make no sense together. I hear what your saying but this record grows on you. Save "Attic Doctor" there isn't a track that I haven't come to love. It's certainly not just thrown together, there is a ton of thought put into these songs with themes and motifs that suggest hefty rumination. The way he puts together such disparate parts on, say, Third Dystopia; shuffling drums, tape hiss, strange feedback, well placed guitar plucks, and the unique fragile vocals, is amazing. He's created a specific sonic world with the entire album that he completely owns. I think saying it is just thrown together is not giving the work credit. Of course not everyone will like it and there is no saying your right or I am, it's all opinion which is one beauty of music, but that doesn't mean it should be tossed aside as lackadaisical.

^ This is the camp I am in; well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemz View Post
    Save "Attic Doctor" there isn't a track that I haven't come to love.
    Attic Doctor really throws things off for me.

The new Phosphorescent was fork'd today. Well deserved and one of the most cogent reviews I've read in a long time. This album will rate highly at the end of the year, imo.

20/20 is BNM

ehhhh I think it's better than 8.4 but that's because I think in whole numbers. I say 9.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    ehhhh I think it's better than 8.4 but that's because I think in whole numbers. I say 9.
    agreed. maybe they show more love to vol 2.

Pretty surprising that the usual power puff reviewers over at NPR and PMA both ripped JT and the harsher critics at CoS and Pitchfork lauded it. I agree with the latter and also think an 8.4 is about right.

They were way to generous with the rating of that new Kvelertak album.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    They were way to generous with the rating of that new Kvelertak album.
    Same with the new Strokes album.
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

A little behind on my listening, but the score (8.4) and subsequent forking of "Cerulean Salt" by Waxahatchee is yet another example of the frequent gaffes made by P4k. This chick so blatantly apes Liz Phair...down to the chord structures of her songs. And, it's not due to a lack of awareness of Liz Phair by the author...he makes a passing reference in the last sentence. Total rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Same with the new Strokes album.
    No shit. I thought for sure this album was going to get under a 5.0... that what it deserves anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Pitchfork gives the incredibly boring Wolf a 7.8, but Bleached get a 6.6? The Bleached album may not be groundbreaking by any means, but it is a great record and far better than Wolf by any means.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.