Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: TOOL Summer Tour

Default Re: TOOL Summer Tour

i would love to go to just one tool show with no meatheads, bros, jocks, military personnel, etc.

could care less what the setlist is, as long as there is none of this:

Young blood

time travel to 13 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    As far as all this commentary about how Tool doesn't translate that well live because you can't really see the musicians goes...

Well that's kinda the point. They don't want the spotlight. They want the focus to be on the art--both auditory and visual. It's not about them. It's not about rockstars. It's about the audience having an experience of combined stimuli to produce specific emotional reactions.

I, for one, don't give a flying fuck about seeing someone playing their instruments really. The Tool visualizations aspect isn't quite the same as the lightshow monkey argument you can make with other acts. Most of them Adam hand-crafted specifically to be the visual expression of the songs.

Not to mention ALEX FUCKING GREY!

Whats the average crowd like for a Tool show? Is there a lot of moshing/pushing/etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Not to the ones I have been to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Everyone is just too absorbed in the visuals and music to do such things I guess. I like to hear that. I REALLY hope the Lolla crowd isn't extra drunk and obnoxious
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

to be fair I was drunk and obnoxious at my 1st Tool show.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Well yea, cept Blaire is a funky dude. I hardly know what he is talking about there half the time.

I'm with ya all the way! For all I know this is just their way of finally announcing a live DVD or something along those lines.
    Its going to be The Pot music video/dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by sexecutioner View Post
    i miss the old days when they would end with jerk off. one of the best endings to a show ive ever seen.

their last shows were just missing something for me, not sure what it was. might have been the fact that i knew they were playing the same fucking setlist every night. i also hate the lack of GA at their shows now. takes away a lot of energy. who wants to see tool from a seat where you can't move around? not me.
    Tool from a seat is the best. You're missing out so hard.

And most Tool shows are GA. It's venue specific and most are GA.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Tool from a seat is the best. You're missing out so hard.

And most Tool shows are GA. It's venue specific and most are GA.
    i hate almost any show from a seat. just personal preference, but i like the option to move around if i so choose.

i thought they put seats down on most of the floor areas on their last tour?
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    Tool live >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nirvana live. Fact.
    I am a bigger fan of Nirvana than I am of Tool, but Tool is a much better live band than Nirvana.

ALthough i dont know if my reference points makes a difference. I saw Tool in a small club opening for Rollins Band and Maynard was very engaging, and I saw Nirvana at the Forum and wasnt very close so that ciould be where the difference lies.

Other than that, they are really two different bands that live shows cannot be compared.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

i hate almost any show from a seat. just personal preference, but i like the option to move around if i so choose.

Move around if you choose? Move where? You're not getting much closer to the stage and moving around is a pain in the ass.

I like the view from the seat because I always have an unimpeded and usually awesome view of the stage. Especially on the last tour when the stage was a giant visuals projector. You can't see that from the floor.

Fuck yeah!!! I am so there for this tour.

APW + TOOL= Amazing (just putting the suggestion out there)

i'm with sexecutioner if i'm not planted up close to the stage i like to wander thru the GA area and kind of seek out the best sound/view for my short self
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Whats the average crowd like for a Tool show? Is there a lot of moshing/pushing/etc?
    at coachella a few years back the crowd close to the stage were dipshits. my group wanted to get somewhat close to the band, and we were down to rock out a bit, some civilized jumping and mild flailing and whatnot.

but the crowd is peppered with rowdy idiots who insist on slamming into everyone around them, and then retort things like "come on this is a concert what are you people standing around for" as a guy near us did. very sophomoric.

if there is a pit that opens up or someone is trying to get it going i never understood why people get surprised or offended by that. i'm in the sophomoric crowd i guess who doesn't think standing around, esp in the very front of the stage gives off the fans energy to the band when they're on stage. if i were on stage, and imagine musicians feel this way also, in at a heavy show standing would completely kill the excitement/connection with the crowd
    EVeryone is there to enjoy in there own way. don't hate bc i prefer to 'dance' in the socially acceptable way to this genre of music and keep in mind that the standers need to be respectful of the dancers as well. that said there are some standing assholes and some dancing assholes wherever you will go
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Just... no Wings for Marie medley and I will be happy. Most boring shit ever. So boring that it's one of the only things I remember from seeing them at Cox Arena in 07. Good thing the other things I remember ("Forty-Six and Two" for example) fucking ruled.

I'd love to see them in a venue that didn't have god-awful shit sound, too. I take it that's why there's a clamor for a show at Bill Graham Auditorium.
    My God you're a worthless pile of shit.

AquaFresh

I just heard Pacific Ampitheatre this summer.

not 100% positive, but it seems likely.

ok zajaa... that photo you posted made me throw up in my mouth a little bit I can't bring myself to even quote it for relevance to this post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    um, no...
    I love her!

I'm going to have to agree with sexecutioner, I always feel like its more plausible to get closer in GA when with seats you just have to hope your the first one to buy tickets, which never happens
    that's why Outside Lands would be my ideal venue to see tool in, or the bill graham civic

Quote Originally Posted by seyrnon View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with sexecutioner, I always feel like its more plausible to get closer in GA when with seats you just have to hope your the first one to buy tickets, which never happens
    that's why Outside Lands would be my ideal venue to see tool in, or the bill graham civic
    There are GA shows with seats. I'm not talking about all assigned seating.
    I've gotten awesome seats closer and way better views than I would on the floor.

There are GA shows with seats. I'm not talking about all assigned seating.
    I've gotten awesome seats closer and way better views than I would on the floor.
    thats real
    you would have to show up early as all hell for that to work with someone like tool though wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by seyrnon View Post
    thats real
    you would have to show up early as all hell for that to work with someone like tool though wouldn't you?
    Its the same if you want a good spot on the floor.

Unless you're coming late and just gonna barge you're way through the crowd. Are you that guy?

Its the same if you want a good spot on the floor.

Unless you're coming late and just gonna barge you're way through the crowd. Are you that guy?
    A lot of people don't think "they're that guy" until they get to the show and the band comes on. Then they magically forget all their message board posts about concert etiquette and try to push their way to the front of the stage.

Bottom line- you did not show up early? You should not think you are getting to the front. And yet a lot of people still do it. Give me reserved seating every time. The worst reserved seat I got for all the sold out shows I attended on the 10,000 Days tour was at the rear of the floor on the second night of the SD shows, second leg.

Reminds me- I saw Tool at Coachella in 06. I positioned myself at the main stage for most of the day by the black railing that runs down the middle to the sound booth. Sure enough, just before Tool went on, the crush started. A couple of meatheads came into what little space I had and tried to bully their way into a spot against the rail in front of me. Fortunately I had befriended the people around me throughout the day and their attempt was quickly shut down. Still, when Tool was about to come on, they tried again. I grabbed one of the guy's arms and pushed him away. This type of shit does not happen with reserved seating.

When I get GA tickets, I make sure I'm directly in front of DC's kit. With that double bass pounding my soul, I could be in an aidz infested orgy and wouldn't give a damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    When I get GA tickets, I make sure I'm directly in front of DC's kit. With that double bass pounding my soul, I could be in an aidz infested orgy and wouldn't give a damn!
    I'll bring the needulz!

I hate standing. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

I like GA because I like to move around and I also like a good view from the bar. They need to play the new Joint in Vegas.

No, Jon, they need to play THE PEARL, it's perfect!

Another small-seated venue tour would be great. The show at SMU's auditorium was insane! Dry wall was crumbling off of the walls.

Gimme a seated Tool show anyday over GA. Been to enough GA shows to know that this band is meant to be enjoyed with everyone sitting down and shutting up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.