Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 7576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,400 of 2554

Thread: The Travel Thread

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Uhhh, Yountville is where The French Laundry is.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Aquarius records is fucking awesome. I would say skip the bridge and just go to the park instead
    This. Aquarius blows me away. That said, they're more focused on extreme music, but if metal, noise, punk and that ilk are up your alley you'll lose your mind and your wallet in that store.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Uhhh, Yountville is where The French Laundry is.
    and The French Laundry is where Thomas Keller works. and Thomas Keller is my hero, he's like the Bob Dylan or Joe Strummer of cooking to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Rasputin in SF has never really provided me with much gold on vinyl (on CD it was the place I first found Glenn Branca and Liars, so I can't look down on it at all.) Berkeley Rasputing, now that's a whole other story. That place is incredible and frequently puts the Berkeley Amoeba to shame.
    Agreed; Berkeley Rasputin is the cat's meow.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

While we're starting up on food, how about some recommendations for restaurants. We're into both hole-in-the-wall destinations (taqueria la cumbre) and swanky experiences (celebrity chefs or tasting menus or anything that is different).

What a perfect use of this board. Thanks guys.

My suggestions were too manifold for one PM, so if you free up some space in your inbox I'll send part two.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

CLT airport's California Pizza Kitchen has smaller bar called the Taste of Carolina which is a eight tap bar with local craft beer.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post
    This is all great stuff. I'm a vinyl guy, so I'll definitely check out the recommended shops. I've also been oddly interested in Alcatraz since I was a kid. I think I might blame The Rock? So given these things, where would you guys stay in SF? I can't afford $300 a night, but I'm not looking at hostels either...maybe $150-200/night. Nice area, good access to public transit, and maybe some character?
    Have you looked into airbnb as an alternative? I've seen pretty nice houses/apartments listed for under $200 a night.

As far as things to do here, sf.funcheap.com always has a ton of listings for every day of the week. If the weather's nice, Dolores Park and/or Golden Gate Park are always good options.

Food:
    *Taqueria Cancun on Mission & 19th for late-night nachos
    *Lers Ros on Hayes Street = some of the best Thai food in the city, and really reasonably priced
    *El Techo de Lolinda on Mission = gorgeous rooftop views, heated when it's cold, and their chicharrones, guacamole, and quesadillas are all really tasty
    *Food truck park on 11th & Folsom = good variety, fun atmosphere
    *Straw = carnival themed, they do a crazy bacon cheeseburger with glazed donuts for buns

Bars
    *Driftwood in SOMA = they have a bring-your-own-vinyl policy, bartenders have great taste in music
    *Zeitgeist in the Mission = big outdoor seating area with lots of communal seating, good burgers, cheap drinks
    *Sycamore = like a small-scale Zeitgeist
    *Butter = white trash themed bar! Fun times
    *Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem = nice little outdoor area, and they also serve food (tater tots!)

Music Stores
    *Grooves on Market & Octavia = tiny, nice employees, good bargain bin finds
    *Rooky Ricardo's on Haight = more of an old R&B/soul collection, but the owner is fun to talk to and has a lot of SF music stories
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

Quote Originally Posted by amandabomb View Post
    tiny, nice employees
    just how small are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by amandabomb View Post
    Have you looked into airbnb as an alternative? I've seen pretty nice houses/apartments listed for under $200 a night.

As far as things to do here, sf.funcheap.com always has a ton of listings for every day of the week. If the weather's nice, Dolores Park and/or Golden Gate Park are always good options.

Food:
    *Taqueria Cancun on Mission & 19th for late-night nachos
    *Lers Ros on Hayes Street = some of the best Thai food in the city, and really reasonably priced
    *El Techo de Lolinda on Mission = gorgeous rooftop views, heated when it's cold, and their chicharrones, guacamole, and quesadillas are all really tasty
    *Food truck park on 11th & Folsom = good variety, fun atmosphere
    *Straw = carnival themed, they do a crazy bacon cheeseburger with glazed donuts for buns

Bars
    *Driftwood in SOMA = they have a bring-your-own-vinyl policy, bartenders have great taste in music
    *Zeitgeist in the Mission = big outdoor seating area with lots of communal seating, good burgers, cheap drinks
    *Sycamore = like a small-scale Zeitgeist
    *Butter = white trash themed bar! Fun times
    *Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem = nice little outdoor area, and they also serve food (tater tots!)

Music Stores
    *Grooves on Market & Octavia = tiny, nice employees, good bargain bin finds
    *Rooky Ricardo's on Haight = more of an old R&B/soul collection, but the owner is fun to talk to and has a lot of SF music stories
    For SF I'd also like to suggest La Palma Mexicatessen (chicharron burrito), Dynamo Donuts, The Palace (unbelievable tasting menu for $50, also BYOB, so pretty much my favorite place), and Tony's Pizza Napoletana.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    just how small are they?
    Think The Borrowers, and then divide that in half.
    "If you've lost your faith in love and music, the end won't be long." -The Libertines

R&G Lounge in Chinatown. The Best. Make a res or you be waiting.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

There's too much in San Francisco. My only suggestion is City Lights Bookstore. I worship that place.

The TSA dude just called me sweetie (in a totally non-condescending way), and there are two 50-something ladies in front of me with hair sprayed a mile high and bright gold leather purses talking about how they can't wear heels under 2 inches high because anything shorter than that hurts their calves.

I am most definitely in Dallas.

Make sure to try to take over Ewing Oil while you're there.

Comstock Saloon in SF makes some great cocktails, neat atmosphere and the food is decent. Bourbon and Branch also makes some fine cocktails, but you have to make a reservation.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Just got back to our villa after swimming and body surfing in the ocean. On breaks we relaxed in lounge chairs, sipped Imperial and ate lunch with a sloth in the tree 20 feet above us.

Tonight we are going to grill fresh mahi-mahi, pineapple and bell peppers and try to work on the bottle of vodka, probably in a smoothie made with leftover papaya from this morning when a troop of monkeys passed right by/on our patio.

This is our second slow day.

Costa Rica has been fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Comstock Saloon in SF makes some great cocktails, neat atmosphere and the food is decent. Bourbon and Branch also makes some fine cocktails, but you have to make a reservation.
    +1. But B&B doesn't need a reservation for The Library portion of the bar (we've just walked in the past couple of times).

The rainy season meant it rained many mornings (but it usually stopped by 9 or so) and some afternoons (but we got several mostly clear (gorgeous) sunsets). But mostly it meant it all was cheaper and more private. Tulemar (the villa/resort complex of 70 bungalows where we stayed) has a private beach which is crowded during their summer but there were generally only a few others at the beach.

We had a private tour of Manual Antonio National Park. Without our guide we would have seen almost nothing; with her we saw so many insects and reptiles and mammals. The 300-person dolphin watching party boat had 40 people instead of 300 so there was plenty of shade and dolphin-viewing space to go around. And a private horseback ride to a 90 m waterfall and rapids pool.

Sometimes Herbie the coati knocks over and roots through your trash. Sometimes monkeys climb around your patio. There are bugs and it's humid and every trip takes longer than expected. We got a lot of resort treatment but there were still clear rough elements that not everyone would be into.

I loved the small part of Costa Rica that I saw (Quepos on the south Pacific side, mostly) in an area that caters to tourists. There is so much more but this was a relaxing vacation, not a backpacking/roughing it/explorer adventure trip. It was gorgeous and wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Big Bear Ocktoberfest, or however those wankers spell it, this weekend with offroad biking including Rattlesnake Canyon sprinkled in. Better than Disneyland.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I need help/info with first hand experience on Switzerland. The best info so far comes from Rick Steves. Everything else feels like an ad or directs you to a commercial website. Tripadvisor and Lonely planet forums has very limited information too. Trying to find ease of trains and traveling with ski/snowboard gear, places to see, culinary ect.

I'd be happy to help. I'm assuming you are going in winter with your gear, but to what parts? Or is that part of your question? And if you want epic riding / skiing within a train ride or two of the swiss system are you willing to consider Austria or France? Chamonix / Mont Blanc, Brig to Visp to Zermatt, Grindelwald (off Interlaken) and not too far from Muren, and skiing from village to village in Austria all remain on my winter destination list. I've visited all multiple times in summer, but have yet to explore during winter.

Zero in on what parts you want to visit and let's go from there with culinary and entertainment. Where are you flying in and out of? That's a big part of it. The train system is pretty flexible. Once you get your route down, it may or may not be best to buy a Swiss Rail Pass. For us, it didn't. Don't even worry about schedules, but if you must, play around at SBB. In general, getting luggage on and off trains (including ski / snowboard gear) is no problem at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I'd be happy to help. I'm assuming you are going in winter with your gear, but to what parts? Or is that part of your question? And if you want epic riding / skiing within a train ride or two of the swiss system are you willing to consider Austria or France? Chamonix / Mont Blanc, Brig to Visp to Zermatt, Grindelwald (off Interlaken) and not too far from Muren, and skiing from village to village in Austria all remain on my winter destination list. I've visited all multiple times in summer, but have yet to explore during winter.

Zero in on what parts you want to visit and let's go from there with culinary and entertainment. Where are you flying in and out of? That's a big part of it. The train system is pretty flexible. Once you get your route down, it may or may not be best to buy a Swiss Rail Pass. For us, it didn't. Don't even worry about schedules, but if you must, play around at SBB. In general, getting luggage on and off trains (including ski / snowboard gear) is no problem at all.
    Right on Wes. Thank you for the help. We fly in to Geneva stay a night then head to Zermatt to ski for 3 days. Then head to Grindlewald and Murren for 4 days. Have 3 days to figure out. Then go to Films/Laxx for 3days. Then have to figure out 3 days before getting back to Geneva.

We bought a 15 day we swiss pass, but can't figure out how easy it is to get from stations to stations to hotels with all our gear. I'm not worried about walking distances. A little worried about my wife.

Is Switzerland a place where you can be flexible with itinerary as far as transportation, things to do and see?

Also is there a must see or do while in Switzerland that you can suggest?
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 10-26-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Yes! At the end of the year is when airlines are going to be phasing it in, if not now. So do not be a dick about it til then.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ped/

Last edited by getbetter; 11-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Does anyone have any restaurant/eatery recommendations for Santa Rosa, CA or Bodega Bay?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

*giggle*
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Does anyone have any restaurant/eatery recommendations for Santa Rosa, CA or Bodega Bay?
    Russian River Brewery!

Or Hanks for breakfast.

Assuming you are traveling north to get there, I would stop in San Rafael for Sol Food.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Yes! At the end of the year is when airlines are going to be phasing it in, if not now. So do not be a dick about it til then.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ped/
    This is going to be interesting. I was reading another article which talked about how some airlines are trying to get their planes the required certificates and that it would also vary depending on the specific aircraft model.

I think it's going to be rather messy until it is all properly standardized within airlines, with some travelers using different airlines for their trips.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Russian River Brewery!

Or Hanks for breakfast.

Assuming you are traveling north to get there, I would stop in San Rafael for Sol Food.
    Is the food at Russian River Brewery good? That's the main destination of our trip, and I also want to check out Third Street Aleworks while we're there.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I have only eaten there once, but the food was good. Nothing spectacular, but went with the beer well and helped extend our stay as long as possible. Next time I go there, i would plan on eating there again. Hopefully that helps.