Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 2482

Thread: The Travel Thread

  1. #2221
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    39,943

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Well, you asked "what are you gonna do about it?" I provided a viable Plan B. You're welcome to critique that alternative on its own merits, but whether you like the actual city or not is neither here nor there.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

  2. #2222
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    39,943

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Besides, there are some very nice pleasant areas in Oakland.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

  3. #2223
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,165

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by caeden View Post
    what's the easiest/best airport in the bay area to fly into? sfo, oak, or sjc? you know, just curious and shit
    The answer is 100% based on what's convenient to you and how much time and money you want to spend on transportation between the airport and wherever you are going.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

  4. #2224
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    14,993

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Besides, there are some very nice pleasant areas in Oakland.
    I know but next to Detroit, the downtown area was the most depressed major city I have ever had the pleasure of spending time . It was for a class for my work and not just goofing around ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  5. #2225
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Oakland has seriously been turning its shit around. Because most people can't afford SF, Oakland has been getting a pretty vibrant arts and youth culture, although of course the police chief stepping down back in May (I think? Not gonna look it up.) kicked off a fair amount of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  6. #2226
    Member santasutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,029

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Ride around old Montreal, have a smoked meat sandwich from Lester's, Poutine, Club Super Sexe, Joe Beef if you can get a reservation or I can name a half dozen other fantastic restaurants if you want.
    Check check on the smoked meat and poutine, the latter being the best drunk late night food I've experienced in years.

    Lunch Friday at Papillon on Rue Ste.Paul in old Montreal on Friday. Not bad.

    Dinner at Europea which was one of the top five culinary experiences in my lifetime.

    Club Super Sexe sounds interesting but we had our own version going on back le hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

  7. #2227
    Member birdiearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The other happiest place on earth
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Next on my to-do list is Portland and Seattle. Scoping out cities to live in outside of California.....

  8. #2228
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,680

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I know but next to Detroit, the downtown area was the most depressed major city I have ever had the pleasure of spending time . It was for a class for my work and not just goofing around ... cr****
    Like Corinna said, Oakland is in the midst of a major revival. Every time I visit (quite a few of my best friends live in North Oakland and work in downtown, so I go quite a bit) there are great new restaurants, new record stores, cool new bars and book stores and more concert venues opening. It's still pretty shady at times, but it's getting so much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  9. #2229
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Next on my to-do list is Portland and Seattle. Scoping out cities to live in outside of California.....
    Feel free to leave Seattle off the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  10. #2230
    Member birdiearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The other happiest place on earth
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Fo reals??

  11. #2231

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Check check on the smoked meat and poutine, the latter being the best drunk late night food I've experienced in years.
    After Osheaga last year I did the drunken Montreal trifecta. Poutine with Montreal smoked meat on it, rolled up in a maple crepe. Life was good.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

  12. #2232
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    In a couple weeks I am flying to Western Michigan to see family. Next month I am going upstate for a wedding. The following month is Costa Rica as a 1-year anniversary/honeymoon trip.

    The latter is the only extended trip; we are staying on the Pacific coast and leaving things pretty open. Might go on various tours through the jungle, might go sailing, will certainly hang out on the beach, see a lot of monkeys and sloths.

  13. #2233
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    39,943

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    see a lot of monkeys and sloths.
    SOUNDS LIKE COACHELLA
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

  14. #2234

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    In a couple weeks I am flying to Western Michigan to see family. Next month I am going upstate for a wedding. The following month is Costa Rica as a 1-year anniversary/honeymoon trip.

    The latter is the only extended trip; we are staying on the Pacific coast and leaving things pretty open. Might go on various tours through the jungle, might go sailing, will certainly hang out on the beach, see a lot of monkeys and sloths.
    I loved Costa Rica. We stayed at some pretty cool places on the Pacific side. Just a heads up.... you're going there during the rain season.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

  15. #2235
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Yeah. Rainy season is way cheaper because of the extra rain. There will still be animals and bungalows and we will still be very close to a beach for afternoons when it is not rainy. Plus I really don't mind rain.

  16. #2236
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,680

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    If you have the money for a side excursion/hotel night, I'd highly recommend heading to Arenal and staying at the Tabacon Grand Spa. They have an incredible hot spring set up with views of the active volcano, you'll get a decent meal and the hotel is well kept up. My favorite thing I did in Costa Rica was visit the Caribbean side and stay in the jungle, but Tabacon was a close second. There are also some great river rafting trips you can do in the Arenal area where you'll be able to get up close with animals and probably see some things you wouldn't catch otherwise. We saw a really huge owl and a bunch of toucans, and the guide said it was the only place he'd ever seen jaguars.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  17. #2237
    butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    721

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Next on my to-do list is Portland and Seattle. Scoping out cities to live in outside of California.....
    Once you move from California, you will be considered an outsider forever after, like those mid-westerners/ East-Coasters who move to California and suddenly think they're Californians. It should always be up to the natives. All of that aside, Portland and Seattle are a couple pretty awesome places. I love the west coast of the united states, and it all feels like home. I prefer Washington over Oregon, for a few key reasons (the color green being one of them). You gotta check it out. Seattle is one amazing place (especially if you're at all familiar with other major US cities).

  18. #2238

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Yeah. Rainy season is way cheaper because of the extra rain. There will still be animals and bungalows and we will still be very close to a beach for afternoons when it is not rainy. Plus I really don't mind rain.
    Nice. Where are you planning on staying?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

  19. #2239
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,250

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I just saw a news blurb that Costa Rica is planning on releasing all of its zoo animals back into the wild, so maybe there will be more wild creatures about when you're there?
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

  20. #2240
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    14,993

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    In a couple weeks I am flying to Western Michigan to see family. Next month I am going upstate for a wedding. The following month is Costa Rica as a 1-year anniversary/honeymoon trip.

    The latter is the only extended trip; we are staying on the Pacific coast and leaving things pretty open. Might go on various tours through the jungle, might go sailing, will certainly hang out on the beach, see a lot of monkeys and sloths.
    No comment cept cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  21. #2241
    ankle biter guedita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    EPA
    Posts
    22,152

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Oakland has seriously been turning its shit around. Because most people can't afford SF, Oakland has been getting a pretty vibrant arts and youth culture, although of course the police chief stepping down back in May (I think? Not gonna look it up.) kicked off a fair amount of shit.
    There was a shooting at First Friday a few months ago, too (maybe May). But yeah, downtown Oakland is getting better and better. I miss living out there.

    Oh, and my friend was flashed by a "non-homeless looking" man at the 19th street Oakland BART on Friday evening, but any dummy on public transport should know that when a strange man loitering in a station asks if they can show you something CHANCES ARE HIGH THAT IT'S THEIR PENIS.
    Last edited by guedita; 08-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.

    4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

  22. #2242
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,850

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    If you have the money for a side excursion/hotel night, I'd highly recommend heading to Arenal and staying at the Tabacon Grand Spa. They have an incredible hot spring set up with views of the active volcano, you'll get a decent meal and the hotel is well kept up. My favorite thing I did in Costa Rica was visit the Caribbean side and stay in the jungle, but Tabacon was a close second. There are also some great river rafting trips you can do in the Arenal area where you'll be able to get up close with animals and probably see some things you wouldn't catch otherwise. We saw a really huge owl and a bunch of toucans, and the guide said it was the only place he'd ever seen jaguars.
    That does sound awesome. We looked at staying at Tabacon but chose differently. We are not going to have a chance to go anywhere else. We felt like having a mostly stay-in-place vacation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Nice. Where are you planning on staying?
    We are staying near Quepos. And I guess San Jose the night before our flight back.


    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I just saw a news blurb that Costa Rica is planning on releasing all of its zoo animals back into the wild, so maybe there will be more wild creatures about when you're there?
    From what I saw that happens in May 2014.

  23. #2243

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I flew into Liberia and stayed in the northern part of the country, so I don't have any suggestions for you unless you feel like driving 6 hours to get there.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

  24. #2244

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    That does sound awesome. We looked at staying at Tabacon but chose differently. We are not going to have a chance to go anywhere else. We felt like having a mostly stay-in-place vacation.




    We are staying near Quepos. And I guess San Jose the night before our flight
    Well sounds like Manuel Antonio is the spot for you for nature stuff but would recommend not staying in the city just outside the park because it is very touristy. Park itself is really nice and saw tons of wildlife. Could be worth spending on a guide who will point out hard to see wildlife but my friends and I just walked along and saw what big groups of people were talking pictures of. Same results. Definitely do the smaller trails around and get away from the masses. I would have loved to have some fungus there.

    I would also recommend against Jaco which has resorts/casinos (unless that is what you are looking for) and lots of prostitutes (unless that is what you are looking for).

    It's a day drive to get there but my favorite spot was a surfer spot called Mal Pais. It's been a few years and only dirt roads there but the sets never stopped. Really cool place. Second favorite was Monteverde and doing the zip lining through the jungle.

    General tip if you are offered regular greens or the best greens. Go with the best which is the equivalent to HS quality greens. The regular smelled like it was mixed in or grown in crap. I think it does the job as the surfer bums were stoked to get it for free from us.

  25. #2245
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    27,680

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Tip for Manuel Antonio, which is definitely somewhere you want to go: wake up extra early so you can get there before most other groups do. You'll see more animals that way and have some more peace and quiet in the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  26. #2246
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I saw soooooo many animals there! It was totally worth going despite being fucked over with strep throat and a double ear infection, esp. because I was laid up in Monteverde and missed all the monkeys and shit there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  27. #2247
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,540

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post

    I would also recommend against Jaco which has resorts/casinos (unless that is what you are looking for) and lots of prostitutes (unless that is what you are looking for).

    .
    "John would make the most awkward hooker ever."
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  28. #2248
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,540

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I've been researching carry on bags (I need a new one) and ran across this brand called Zuca. They're expensive and I probably won't buy it unless I find one on sale or something...but it has organizers inside the bag for those of us that like to seperate our shit..AND it turns into a chair.

    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

  29. #2249
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    20,570

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    That is really cool, but it seems like a ton of space being wasted.

    EDIT: i guess it depends on the person and the type of trip. It would definitely work better for women who wearing a lot of lighter clothes than for guys who are typically packing bigger t-shirts and things like jeans. My shoes are so huge, that one extra pair in my carry-on practically takes up half the bag, so I need every square inch of available space to cram things into.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 08-06-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

  30. #2250
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,165

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Agreed. More organizers and structural case = less space.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Similar Threads

  1. Travel from England
    By joggs1 in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
  2. Marrakech - Any travel tips?
    By sonofhal in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  3. Best Airline/Travel Website?
    By RotationSlimWang in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
  4. Travel from ontario???
    By ov3rdose in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •