Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2554

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

I've stayed at the Caliente on the Wednesday and Monday surrounding Coachella for the last 2 years and its only gone up about $20. This year a king room is only $80 a night. Must have been a busy week when you were there.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

even my ole standby Indian Wells Resort, owed at one time by Lucy & Desi Arnaz, was completely sold out. Some blamed the crowding on early Spring Break, the weather, and a world class tennis tournament. Damn you, Penis Williams.

But it was truly lovely out there regardless of cost. Sliver moon in the dusk...
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Going to be in England and Scotland most of May. Have a flat in London (Camden) for 8 days, travel to New Castle, Edinburgh (friend owns and runs an Inn), then Glasgow for a wedding. Any places that are a must see/eat/drink would be really helpful. Haven't been there in 20 years and know London's really changed. Have already researched the sites and all the more touristy stuff. Leave in a week!

you ever get coke in Cusco? Pretty easy?

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Nice to see Palm Springs firing on all cylinders again this past weekend. Was a bit worried a couple years ago about the store closings and general lack of people on the streets, but it seems to be on the comeback trail. Only downside about increased popularity is the room rates ($200 for Caliente Tropics WTF? Gave the receptionist a twenty spot and she got my room ready by noon and upgraded to a suite. $20 goes a long way.).

Took a marijuana capsule poolside that I didn’t feel any effects of one hour into it, so took another and boy did they eventually kick in big time. Ended up that evening at this bizarro restaurant called King’s Highway in the ACE hotel complex. Tasty veggie food, 16oz cans of Red Stripe, and a blend of ‘50s and modern diner décor. Fashionista extraordinaires sashaying and parading through including an older jet blond haired, sci-fi eye makeup man/woman with gorgeous sixteen year old Parisian models in tow as the diner floor doubled as a catwalk. And great music, that of course you’d never heard of before, blasting as well.

One of the very best cities.

P.S. there is a new three story tall Marilyn statue on the main drag if you want to look up her dress. “Is this the line to take pictures?” a retarded lady said aloud to no one in particular. She was actually retarded, so it made it okay.

P.S.S. Bought a PS tank top, the preferred article of clothing there when clothing is required, and a dead scorpion embedded lollipop.
    It is a FABULOUS town for us people visiting from the rainy states. Just fabulous.

it's absolutely fabuloussss

But let's talk about san diego, as a friend is driving from Tuscon right now and I'm meeting him later (he wants to surf but it's 1-2ft?) and I have nothing better to do. The best things about SD:

Brown Bag Deli on Rosecrans #20 Turkey Bacon Avocado Spread on fresh baked roll (going there today to buy)

Nati's guacamole
    Padres, Chargers
    The Black (if you a dirty hippie)
    Sunset Cliffs surf

That's about it really, but alot of people like it.

About to spend a month in Berlin coming up here. Really excited as Berlin has a lot going on. I know we have some board members who live out there. Any recommendations for food, art, shops, sights, or nightlife? Staying in Kreuzberg area.

got street stumbling shitfaced and lost my phone in O.B. Friday night. Called Sprint and some dirty hippie was using it as of Sunday morning. I called it three times and they never picked up. O.B. has some major shitheads. But Winstons is still pretty good for reggae. Pacific Shores has turned into a hipster bar, unfortunately. The Joint is overpriced and the beers are lukewarm.

I mentioned here earlier that I'll be studying abroad in Utrecht, The Netherlands next year. Pretty stoked for that. I booked my flight for June 30th even though my program doesn't start until August 10th. So until it starts I'll be in Eastern Europe. I'm starting in Serbia for Exit Music Festival, and then backpacking around the Balkans for about a month. Here's the itinerary:
    Exit Festival (July 10-14)
    Budapest (15-19)
    Zagreb, Croatia (20)
    Plitvice Lakes National Park (21-22)
    Zadar (23-24)
    Split (24-26)
    Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina (27-28)
    Sarajevo (29-31)
    Sofia, Bulgaria (August 1-3)
    Istanbul, Turkey (4-9)
    If any of you have been to these cities before I'd love to hear some tips and about any must-see places!

Hellllll yeah. Utrecht is hands down the BEST city in the Netherlands. My ex boyfriend and his brother(s) live there and are always more than happy to show Americans around. I met him when I was studying abroad in Holland, actually.

I have no travel advice for the Balkans, but I'm jealous as fuck that you are going to Exit and THEN to Holland. Please post an extensive review in that festival thread.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Next March or April there's about a dozen of my friends and I that are thinking about doing an all inclusive trip somewhere like St Thomas, Turks and Caicos, etc. something in that nature. Any tips on how to get a place for a group that large or would we be better off doing our own separate rooms in pairs?
    Also, any suggestions on a good area/resort to stay?

We are now just beginning to talk about it and are pretty open minded. We were thinking of 7 days and with flight, not spending more than 2,000 a person total.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Southwest is having a pretty sweet sale right now.
    Going to New Orleans for 5 days for the beginning of Oktoberfest, then heading straight to Austin for 6 days for ACL.

I'm in London for the next 10 days or so. Any offbeat advice? (I have the basics covered.) Good UK day trips?

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    I'm in London for the next 10 days or so. Any offbeat advice? (I have the basics covered.) Good UK day trips?
    I took a day trip to Cambridge once and it was more interesting than you might think. Especially if you enjoy history-of-science type stuff. "Here's where the apple fell on Newton's head; here's where Alan Turing developed the ideas that became the computer; over there's where the jet engine was invented."
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

If you get a chance do the Bath/Windsor Castle/ Stonehenge tour. It's all day but great value, and Bath is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    I'm in London for the next 100 days or so.

Go for a drink at the Swan and Edgar if you like bars made out of books.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/567957-S.../photos/802543

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

On my way back from bonnaroo I'll be traveling through Memphis. Any suggestions on the best BBQ there?
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Ask the locals and peoepl at Roo? Im sure theres a consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I'm in London for the next 100 days or so.
    Color me jealous. So shocking that I love it here, given that I've been worshipping the music/comedy/language all my life.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Leave it to Tom to find a way to offer a compelling alternative to the obvious Oxford jaunt.

A4A released their travel ticket breakdown today; sort of interesting if you buy a lot of plane tickets.

The cost breakdown of a typical $300 domestic r/t ticket:

$61.49 or 20% = Federal government taxes (federal taxes, sales taxes)
    $63.47 or 21% = Fuel (gas...duh)
    $51.52 or 17% = Labor (flight crew, maintenance crew, gate agents, ticketing agents)
    $123.11 or 41% = Non labor, fuel operating and other expenses (catering, maintenance parts, fuel contractors, landing fees, airport fees)
    $.41 or .1% = Airline profit
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by caeden View Post
    On my way back from bonnaroo I'll be traveling through Memphis. Any suggestions on the best BBQ there?
    I like Rendezvous and the Corky's BBQ on Poplar. It's been ages since I had either, though, so I'd also ask the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by RodFed1993 View Post
    I mentioned here earlier that I'll be studying abroad in Utrecht, The Netherlands next year. Pretty stoked for that. I booked my flight for June 30th even though my program doesn't start until August 10th. So until it starts I'll be in Eastern Europe. I'm starting in Serbia for Exit Music Festival, and then backpacking around the Balkans for about a month. Here's the itinerary:
    Exit Festival (July 10-14)
    Budapest (15-19)
    Zagreb, Croatia (20)
    Plitvice Lakes National Park (21-22)
    Zadar (23-24)
    Split (24-26)
    Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina (27-28)
    Sarajevo (29-31)
    Sofia, Bulgaria (August 1-3)
    Istanbul, Turkey (4-9)
    If any of you have been to these cities before I'd love to hear some tips and about any must-see places!
    I backpacked around the Balkans in 2010. Exit was fun, but two days was enough. If your dates are flexible, I'd arrive a few days earlier to explore Novi Sad - really beautiful when it's not being trashed by the Exit crowd. Or stay longer and hang out around Belgrade/Kosovo.

Definitely hike the Pirin in Bulgaria. if time is an issue, at least do the hike to the Rila Monastery and Seven Lakes. You won't regret it. Never pay full price for anything in Istanbul and do everything on foot. I'll have to add about some of the other cities later.

I'm backpacking through CO, UT and WY for a few weeks starting on Thursday. I'm doing Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, the Arches, the Winds and Mount Elbern for sure. Any suggestions on other hikes or areas to visit in those states?

How many days shall we budget in and around Istanbul?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

VigoTheCarpathian

Ask a Greek or Armenian architect.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    I'm backpacking through CO, UT and WY for a few weeks starting on Thursday. I'm doing Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, the Arches, the Winds and Mount Elbern for sure. Any suggestions on other hikes or areas to visit in those states?
    Sounds like you already have a plan. A few weeks won't give you near enough time to see everything.

I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Next March or April there's about a dozen of my friends and I that are thinking about doing an all inclusive trip somewhere like St Thomas, Turks and Caicos, etc. something in that nature. Any tips on how to get a place for a group that large or would we be better off doing our own separate rooms in pairs?
    Also, any suggestions on a good area/resort to stay?

We are now just beginning to talk about it and are pretty open minded. We were thinking of 7 days and with flight, not spending more than 2,000 a person total.
    Thanks!
    $6216 per week with *10 people...
    $6000 per week with *10 people.
    $11,100 per week for *10 people.

*10 people clause: In order to get a price quote for 12 people, you must invite Pete and I as chaperones to your sordid gathering... Just fucking with ya... Seriously, check out airbnb for vacation spots that property owners are offering. We did this for our wedding in Hawaii, and all 3 arrangements we had were so much better than any resort or hotel...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

That's actually saying a lot when you consider one of our stays was this tree house in Pahoa for $40 per night...Private shower and toilet on back patio with the jungle symphony surrounding you, and a passion fruit tree at the front entrance as you walked in...

Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit View Post
    Assuming you already know about the falls, but

http://www.havasupaifalls.net/waterfalls.html
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

More interesting / entertaining to spend a couple nights in: Charlotte or Jacksonville?
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 07-24-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.