Page 65 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2556

Thread: The Travel Thread

  1. #1921

    Default Re: The Travel Thread


  2. #1922
    Member kneuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm staying with friends in Williamsburg.
    My girlfriends cousin lives in Williamsburg and we love going up to visit there. So much to do in Williamsburg, but im sure your friends know more than enough places. My favorite non-Brooklyn food spot is http://www.smacnyc.com/. Its the first stop off the L going towards Manhattan. Mind blowing mac and cheese.

  3. #1923
    old school ods..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,248

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kneuller View Post
    My girlfriends cousin lives in Williamsburg and we love going up to visit there. So much to do in Williamsburg, but im sure your friends know more than enough places. My favorite non-Brooklyn food spot is http://www.smacnyc.com/. Its the first stop off the L going towards Manhattan. Mind blowing mac and cheese.
    Can vouch for smac. Try the buffalo chicken mac... mmmmmmmmmmm with blue cheese

    Also recommend checking out (if you're in the East village area, walking around 1st ave off the L):

    Luke's Lobster (unbelievable lobster rolls)
    Veniero's Pasticceria (est. 1894, only place i'd go for dessert. cheescakes, italian pastries)
    Two Boots Pizza (great specialty pizzas, the original location is in Alphabet City)

    In Williamsburg, be sure to go to the Shwarma shop right off the Bedford L stop. I don't know the name of it, but it is the best Shwarma I had in NY. Craving it now.

    Bedford stop is one of my favorite places in the city. Countless great restaurants and awesome music venues in walking distance. There is a reallyyyy bomb Korean taco place around Grand and Bedford, but again I can't remember the name... There is also this insane glass pipe gallery that I used to frequent on the corner of Bedford and Grand; they would have monthly parties/openings with a new artist every month, DJ and free beer. http://www.easystreetbrooklyn.com/

    Obviously gotta hit Katz deli... but I hope that goes without saying.

  4. #1924
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,130

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    We went over there while in the city for APW years ago, was so great seeing the streets shut down with people playing **** pong and just milling about in the neighborhood.

    Had a friend that lived on Houston about a block down from Katz' and never once ate there during my visit. Whoops.

  5. #1925
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,393

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I recall Tom posting some very harsh critiques about airline customer service. This story about United makes me want to break someone's fucking teeth out with a hammer. I'm almost surprised at how angry i am right now after reading this.

    http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_webl...idnt-care.html
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  6. #1926
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Drinkey that is a horrible story.

  7. #1927
    Member kneuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Can vouch for smac. Try the buffalo chicken mac... mmmmmmmmmmm with blue cheese

    Also recommend checking out (if you're in the East village area, walking around 1st ave off the L):

    Luke's Lobster (unbelievable lobster rolls)
    Veniero's Pasticceria (est. 1894, only place i'd go for dessert. cheescakes, italian pastries)
    Two Boots Pizza (great specialty pizzas, the original location is in Alphabet City)

    In Williamsburg, be sure to go to the Shwarma shop right off the Bedford L stop. I don't know the name of it, but it is the best Shwarma I had in NY. Craving it now.

    Bedford stop is one of my favorite places in the city. Countless great restaurants and awesome music venues in walking distance. There is a reallyyyy bomb Korean taco place around Grand and Bedford, but again I can't remember the name... There is also this insane glass pipe gallery that I used to frequent on the corner of Bedford and Grand; they would have monthly parties/openings with a new artist every month, DJ and free beer. http://www.easystreetbrooklyn.com/

    Obviously gotta hit Katz deli... but I hope that goes without saying.
    Luke's Lobster is the truth.

    There is a place in S. Williamsburg that we also always go to called The Lounge. It is basically made to feel like a ski lounge right in the middle of Williamsburg. On Monday's, for every beer you order, you get 3 barbecued chicken wings. Seriously a carnivore's dream. Its also around the corner from this bar with free skee ball all the time.

  8. #1928
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,393

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    OMG I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS. I shall go.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  9. #1929
    Member kneuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond
    Posts
    1,325

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    OMG I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS. I shall go.
    My friend and I went with two vegans and a girl who didn't really want wings. Each round of beers equaled 15 of the best wings I've ever had for us to split. After two rounds, we were nearly in a coma begging them not to bring anymore haha.

  10. #1930
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,882

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I recall Tom posting some very harsh critiques about airline customer service. This story about United makes me want to break someone's fucking teeth out with a hammer. I'm almost surprised at how angry i am right now after reading this.

    http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_webl...idnt-care.html
    United should have NEVER put that kid on a connecting flight for this exact reason. Kids get lost all the time.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  11. #1931

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    My biggest gripe about United is how shitty you are treated as one of the plebeians in economy, and then how you get actual customer service if you're a "united premier member."

  12. #1932
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Man. that story is terrible. And even now that they're embarrassed in the national press, United STILL doesn't seem to get it:

    "We reached out directly to the Klebahns to apologize and we are reviewing this matter," United said in the statement to Tnooz.com. "What the Klebahns describe is not the service we aim to deliver to our customers. We are redepositing the miles used to purchase the ticket back into Mr. Klebahn's account in addition to refunding the unaccompanied minor charge. We certainly appreciate their business and would like the opportunity to provide them a better travel experience in the future."
    "Sorry we lost your kid, we didn't mean to, here are your miles back."

    Talk about tone-deaf. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  13. #1933
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    United should have NEVER put that kid on a connecting flight for this exact reason. Kids get lost all the time.
    Do direct flights even exist from SFO to Grand Rapids?

    I have to say, if I was a parent and sending a 10 year old kid on a plane trip, I would definitely be packing a cell phone in his or her backpack.

  14. #1934
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Many airlines won't put UMs on connecting flights. You want your kid to go to Grand Rapids, you're going to have to ride along or find another solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  15. #1935
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Drug 'em and put 'em in a box for Fedex.

  16. #1936
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,903

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I recall Tom posting some very harsh critiques about airline customer service. This story about United makes me want to break someone's fucking teeth out with a hammer. I'm almost surprised at how angry i am right now after reading this.

    http://bobsutton.typepad.com/my_webl...idnt-care.html
    Holy shit that story is frightening, especially since I have sent my children as unaccompanied minors on flights before, but not with United.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  17. #1937
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,882

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Many airlines won't put UMs on connecting flights. You want your kid to go to Grand Rapids, you're going to have to ride along or find another solution.
    Yep. We don't put UM's on connecting flights. We'll put them on direct flights (where they don't have to change planes if there is a stop) but we lost a couple of kids back in the America West days and because of that, we stopped.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  18. #1938
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,130

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    OMG I LOVE CHICKEN WINGS. I shall go.
    Too much work and mess for such a little payoff. Fuck chicken wings.

  19. #1939
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Too much work and mess for such a little payoff.
    THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  20. #1940
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,393

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Too much work and mess for such a little payoff. Fuck chicken wings.
    The challenge is a bit part of the appeal I think, but also that dark meat off the bone like that is simply the tastiest, it gets so much right from the marrow. I've tried multiple times to have boneless chicken wings and they are not the same, despite the sauces. Breast meat is not a substitution. I think I've come to the conclusion finally, that they are my absolute favorite food, and being able to say that means I don't feel bad when i am compelled to try them every single time they're on a menu. They're different at every place. OM NOM NOM
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

  21. #1941
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,897

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Breast meat is not a substitution.
    THAT'S WHAT HE SAID
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  22. #1942
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I'm with Steve. Not a big fan of the wings.

  23. #1943
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,429

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I think I'll be having Buffalo wings for lunch.

  24. #1944
    old school ThatGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,175

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I had some last night, too tempting not to down them when they on a plate in front of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

  25. #1945
    Coachella Junkie locachica73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,761

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    My son is traveling to Anchorage in a week or two for his 18th birthday. I can't tell you how nervous I am to let him travel alone. I have been researching hotels and was shocked by how expensive even a motel 6 is up there. He doesn't have a lot of money and I already paid for the flight so I can't really get the hotel too. He had a bright idea that he would camp but I am just not comfortable with that. So I found this hostel type place. I have never stayed at a place like this, I am way too old. But I figured some of you younger folks may have experiences something like this. Just trying to get some feedback if it's a good idea. Here is the link if you are interested in taking a look. http://alaskabackpackers.com/

    My next option up is $88/night for a cheap motel, which is going to cut significantly into his spending money.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

  26. #1946

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    What is he going to Alaska for? There are many options.

  27. #1947
    Coachella Junkie locachica73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,761

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    He had been dating a girl who lived here, she moved to Alaska a few months ago and he wants to go visit her. Awww, young love.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

  28. #1948
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,882

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The challenge is a bit part of the appeal I think, but also that dark meat off the bone like that is simply the tastiest, it gets so much right from the marrow. I've tried multiple times to have boneless chicken wings and they are not the same, despite the sauces. Breast meat is not a substitution. I think I've come to the conclusion finally, that they are my absolute favorite food, and being able to say that means I don't feel bad when i am compelled to try them every single time they're on a menu. They're different at every place. OM NOM NOM
    I had boneless wings last night that were actual de-boned wings, rather than breast pieces.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  29. #1949

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    He had been dating a girl who lived here, she moved to Alaska a few months ago and he wants to go visit her. Awww, young love.


    Bad idea. Just sayin.

  30. #1950
    Coachella Junkie locachica73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    13,761

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    That isn't the only reason, my father use to live there and my son has always wanted to go, the girl is just an extra bonus. He can't back out now, the flight cost $500 and is non-refundable. I just want to know if anyone has stayed in a hostel and what the experience was like.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Similar Threads

  1. Travel from England
    By joggs1 in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
  2. Marrakech - Any travel tips?
    By sonofhal in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  3. Best Airline/Travel Website?
    By RotationSlimWang in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
  4. Travel from ontario???
    By ov3rdose in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •