Page 61 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2548

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Well, fyi, I was comparing Madrid's cuisine, culture, vibe etc vs. Barcelona's only and not vs. Sevilla or San Sebastian as well. I have been to Madrid and Barcelona only.

But as it is, Madrid is a spectacular city in almost every aspect of what Spanish life or culture or cuisine (in a city) I know or imagine or heard about (my kind of style, and what I am looking for traveling & when trying to understand or know different cultures, plus most importantly, my taste buds are very happy and so in the same page with me everytime we go there. hehe).
    Last edited by idrive1life; 06-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Only one solution...go there together and prove each other wrong.

BOOM

I am not trying to convince Heidi (or anyone for that matter) to change her beliefs about Madrid and Barcelona. She was exactly right, (even though we are both culture-seekers), different strokes (/taste buds ), different folks. I could be wrong and kinda speaking unjustly for her, maybe, in a way we are trying to influence each other a little bit haha by giving our versions of what we saw and experienced so that next time we would come back there with different perspectives (have a more open mind so we could see the goodness we are trying to tell each other or take them as they are, speaking for myself, make necessary adjustments, keep exploring and just enjoy my time there).

I already used all work vacations this year. And they will never allow me take a leave of absence so I could go there (Spain, France, Czech Republic and Italy) for a long time (maybe 3 months each). Thought about resigning but it's really harder and harder getting a job there (especially with Spain & Italy's economic situations now), so my plan is just visit my favorite places again and again whenever I can. But you know where to find me once I can finally retire and enjoy life fully. Hehe

Next year, it's Southeast Asia time, am very close to booking the flights and using award travel (via Rome - relatively cheap to fly from Rome to SEA or vice-versa and also hopefully, plus Tokyo). Then in 2014, Brazil and hopefully, Buenos Aires.

Booked our tickets to Thailand yesterday. A week away with some good friends who really deserve a holiday in a place I have never visited. Should be a bit of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    so excuse my laziness to scroll through 60 pages but do any of you/my lovely coachella board buddies have any way to get cheaper flight deals? I guess I'm going to lolla now. just checking out flights and seems $450-$500 ish is best i can find. any help appreciated. looking to leave LA thursday to arrive in chicago thurs night before midnight and leave chic monday morning ish like after 10am back to LA. (non stop plz)

Cheers,
    PF

You should take a look at Kayak.com

It's a great price comparison site...

This message brought to you by Kayak.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

drove down to San Juan Capistrano for the first time today. Felt vague vibes reminiscent of places like Palm Springs, Disneyland, Spain, Catalina, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    so excuse my laziness to scroll through 60 pages but do any of you/my lovely coachella board buddies have any way to get cheaper flight deals? I guess I'm going to lolla now. just checking out flights and seems $450-$500 ish is best i can find. any help appreciated. looking to leave LA thursday to arrive in chicago thurs night before midnight and leave chic monday morning ish like after 10am back to LA. (non stop plz)

Cheers,
    PF
    Dani--Lolla is a shit festival and not worth the airfare.

If that didn't talk you out of it and you still want to go, I wouldn't bank on finding any airfare deals. I'd take the cheapest flight I could find right now. It's summer (airlines make the bulk of their money in the summer and between Thanksgiving and New Years) and Chicago is a popular vacation and business destination.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Finally got around to booking my flights back to NY and Philly. I'm really happy with getting multi city fare for only $247.

I'm arriving at JFK on 9/12 and staying in Manhattan until the 16th then I'm taking a train to Philly and staying there for 2 weeks before I return on 10/2.

now to book some rooms... even though this is the same trip I took back in March (though a lot longer) it's going to be very different since I'm traveling with my mom. she had a hip replacement last year, so she doesn't get around like she used to. Going to be fun though and it's her first time traveling to Philly and NY.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

I am heading to Berlin for a few days on Sunday, and then various points in Scandanavia and thereabouts.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I want so badly to go to NYC. I looked in to using miles from my credit card. I didn't talk to anybody yet, but for three tickets it will be 75,000 miles. I only have 73. How does that work?

do you have airline miles?

Yes, with United. I have 73,000.

Can you use the miles that you have and just pay the difference? I never bother with miles, but I really should. Since I always book with sites like Orbitz, is it even possible to accumulate miles? The only airfare I bought directly from an airline was a flight to Chicago a couple years ago that I canceled for credit, but I still got the rewards.

all the flights I just booked are through US Airways, can I sign up and just give them my flight info?
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Yes, with United. I have 73,000.
    wait, you have 73,000 credit card miles and 73,000 airline miles?

My card is a united mileage plus card. I thought it was all airline miles. Clearly, I know nothing.

Many airlines give you the option to buy miles. On US Airways I know it's $35 per 1000 miles.

Hmmm, I need to call United. I'd like to go in October for our 12th wedding anniversary. I'd really like to go for Christmas, but it will cost more then.

I was also considering Colorado in February to go skiing. But I'd have to pay for lodging. We have a free place to stay in New York.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    Finally got around to booking my flights back to NY and Philly. I'm really happy with getting multi city fare for only $247.

I'm arriving at JFK on 9/12 and staying in Manhattan until the 16th then I'm taking a train to Philly and staying there for 2 weeks before I return on 10/2.

now to book some rooms... even though this is the same trip I took back in March (though a lot longer) it's going to be very different since I'm traveling with my mom. she had a hip replacement last year, so she doesn't get around like she used to. Going to be fun though and it's her first time traveling to Philly and NY.
    I'm going to NY at the end of october, and I was very pleased yesterday to see many choices to both Newark and JFK for under $300
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Damn, that is cheap. In college it'd cost me minimum 550 roundtrip every time I came home. Needless to say, I only came home for Christmas and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm going to NY at the end of october, and I was very pleased yesterday to see many choices to both Newark and JFK for under $300
    same here. I've been waiting for the right time to purchase for several weeks now. Even though a lot of this trip will be written off as expenses, I couldn't bring myself to pay close to $400 for a flight.
    2012 2013 2014

So I went back through my flight history with Orbitz and signed up with the airlines I've traveled with over the last year. I guess most airlines have the option to retrieve missed miles so I requested all 3 of my passed flights and both of my upcoming ones. Also linked my rewards/miles accounts with Orbitz for future travels.
    2012 2013 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Many airlines give you the option to buy miles. On US Airways I know it's $35 per 1000 miles.
    yeah, def. try to buy a couple thousand miles. or if you know someone else with an account i believe they can transfer/gift them. had enough miles saved up a few years ago to fly first class both ways from lax to jersey for all points west and it was amazing.

Amsterdimians, Amsterdamites, err people who’ve been to Amsterdam. Is a fifteen euro, hour-and-a-half long canal tour worth it? First was leaning “yes”, but now I’m thinking it may just better to walk around on my day there.

^ www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com

*edit: You'll get a more social crowd on Mike's bike tour and you'll see a good part of the city. Being above the canals and on the bridges is just as nice as being on the water + you get more freedom. Most of Mike's guides are great, but every once in awhile you'll get one who just wants to jerk around and / or party.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 07-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.

don’t think I can do these either. Deadly Dutch combo known as oorlog (“war”): a mix of mayo, peanut satay sauce, and raw onion. Not even after marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    maybe if staying longer. It's only a fourteen hour layover and don't want to potentially get all sweaty and nasty. Just want to take it slowww (Van Gogh, tobacco stained brown bars, coffee shops).

It's not an intense ride; I doubt you'll get all nasty. I still think for a quick stop, it's a good option.

Check you bags into a locker at the AP or train station. Rent a bike and explore on your own. It's pretty easy to find the Van Gogh museum and whatever else you like if you pre plan a little. Advantage not being herded around with other tourists.