Page 59 of 88 FirstFirst ... 5455565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2619

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

I personally would choose Aix over both Avignon and Arles. But that's cuz I really enjoyed my day there.

Aix looked like a really lovely and relaxing place to stay, but the train and bus connections were not very good. I might consider that for 'next time' when I have more days and a car. It looks like only Arles or Avignon would let me get to all of the sights I want to see within this period of time.

I loved Arles because of Van Gogh. He was attracted to the city because it was so far away from the hustle and bustle. It's a city lost in time. Of course I haven't been there in over 20 years, so I can't speak for its present state. But I give Vincent tons of credit for capturing the awesomeness.

ok file this one in the category of definitely a first world problem..

but why are airlines so stupid? I mean, all of them. Stupid. Like the people in charge who make decisions are total blithering idiots. It's not any one airline, it's all of them. Every single one, with the possible exception of a few of the Asian carriers, and even there I'm not so sure.

I am going to Wichita through Denver in a couple weeks. PHX-DEN is on US, DEN-ICT is on UA codeshared as a US flight. US and UA are both part of the Star Alliance network. I called US to see about using miles to upgrade the flights. They told me "we cannot upgrade you on another carrier". I said, well, UA is a Star Alliance member, and it says right here on your website that I can use my miles for upgrades on Star Alliance flights. "Yes but only for flights booked through that airline, not on codeshared flights." So wait a minute. If it was US flying DEN-ICT, I could upgrade. Or, if I had booked the DEN-ICT leg separately through UA rather than through US, I could upgrade. Same flights, same planes, just different ticket stock. But because it's codeshared - which is supposed to be useful, right? - I can't upgrade? That's just plain fucking stupid. There is no compelling operational or business reason why this should be true, other than "we're too stupid and lazy to figure out the systems issues to make it work."

If I had booked the whole thing on the UA website, United flights throughout, I could use my US miles to upgrade -- but I can't use my US miles to upgrade because I booked through the US website. If I sat down and tried to think of the dumbest way to run a business, I don't think I could conjur up anything remotely as stupid as how airlines are run.
    Last edited by TomAz; 06-05-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    So this ^^ being the case, can anyone suggest a neighborhood for a mid-20s music-loving student? In Seattle, I've been living in the younger "hip" area and prefer that kind of open-minded eclectic vibe. I.e. - lots of bars, venues, cheap restaurants, coffee shops, record shops, parks, etc. I don't need or want to be living in the ritz but would like to be and feel relatively safe. I'm planning on getting a zone 1-2 travel card and would like to live within that area somewhat close to campus. But I'm fine with using central public transportation to be in the right neighborhood. Have I just described the east end? I hear Shoreditch is a good spot. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Dalston, Stoke Newington, Shoreditch, Hoxton (in that order). Everything exciting in London is currently happening East as far as music goes. Bethnall Green is also a good area to be close to those mentioned and also fairly cheap to live. It also has good links into Holborn for LSE (and is walking distance to all the free shows at Rough Trade East, which are almost daily). There are very few parts of London that I would class as unsafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Has anyone ever traveled internationally with prescribed painkillers, specifically the controlled substance type (hydrocodone, vicodin, etc.)? If so, did you need a doctors note? I'll be flying to Spain in a few weeks and have a hydrocodone scrip from a previous medical condition, and am wondering how much flack I will get at BCN (the medication is in the original bottle with my name and my doctors name on it). Thanks!

I've traveled to BCN with painkillers and benzos, only in the original prescription container with my name on it. No flak. As long as something is not fully prohibited in a country, you should have no problems.

I always get a written copy of scripts before I travel, more in case I lose them rather than for travel documentation, though I don't know how much luck you'd have filling a controlled substance.

This seems to be a pretty official answer:
    http://www.incb.org/incb/en/guidelines_travellers.html

In other words, the 'form' that they recommend is mostly information that should already be on your prescription label.

A lot of people take painkillers of that type. If I were traveling with unusual types of scheduled / controlled prescriptions, I'd take more documentation.
    Last edited by chiapet; 06-05-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Heidi, are you against renting a car? It would help you get off the beaten path and explore some delightful more rural areas.

Correct, I'm not going to bother renting a car when traveling alone. I'm sure I'll be back in the future, hopefully with road trip suitable company.

Plans are starting to come together (I had a near panic yesterday when ALL of the hotels and B&B's on my list of 20+ choices were already booked). But I found a cheap, crappy/"would do" place that allows cancellations just in case, and am working on a booking at one of a few really cute B&B's in Avignon. So far it looks like I'm going to fly into Lyons, have 4-5 hours to spend there before going on to Avignon, then take day trips 3 of 4 days to cover Nimes/Pont du Gard, Arles, and either Orange/etc or a wine tour.

I've always booked lodging fairly last minute and hadn't anticipated how busy the area would be in June (I was thinking it would be more July/August for high season). Almost everything that does online bookings is sold out. Fortunately most of the ones that don't have an online reservation system seem to have openings. I'm guessing a lot of people don't want to bother emailing and waiting.

Thank you for the help, Tom and Gunz! I ended up staying in Avignon, simply because that was where I found nice lodging near train stations (most of the smaller towns I checked - and Arles - were really heavily booked with only pricey or run-down looking stuff left). Can't wait for the trip to begin

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would just like to report that i completely fell in love with Spain.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Where did you go in Spain? I really love Andalucia.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    ok file this one in the category of definitely a first world problem..

but why are airlines so stupid? I mean, all of them. Stupid. Like the people in charge who make decisions are total blithering idiots. It's not any one airline, it's all of them. Every single one, with the possible exception of a few of the Asian carriers, and even there I'm not so sure.

I am going to Wichita through Denver in a couple weeks. PHX-DEN is on US, DEN-ICT is on UA codeshared as a US flight. US and UA are both part of the Star Alliance network. I called US to see about using miles to upgrade the flights. They told me "we cannot upgrade you on another carrier". I said, well, UA is a Star Alliance member, and it says right here on your website that I can use my miles for upgrades on Star Alliance flights. "Yes but only for flights booked through that airline, not on codeshared flights." So wait a minute. If it was US flying DEN-ICT, I could upgrade. Or, if I had booked the DEN-ICT leg separately through UA rather than through US, I could upgrade. Same flights, same planes, just different ticket stock. But because it's codeshared - which is supposed to be useful, right? - I can't upgrade? That's just plain fucking stupid. There is no compelling operational or business reason why this should be true, other than "we're too stupid and lazy to figure out the systems issues to make it work."

If I had booked the whole thing on the UA website, United flights throughout, I could use my US miles to upgrade -- but I can't use my US miles to upgrade because I booked through the US website. If I sat down and tried to think of the dumbest way to run a business, I don't think I could conjur up anything remotely as stupid as how airlines are run.
    Tom, that is incredibly dumb. I only fly UA not US, so I'm not sure how US works, but I'm pretty sure you can transfer UA Mileage Plus miles to US Dividend Miles miles (and vice versa) through the Diner's Club Plus program, if you're a member of that. However, there is probably some sort of associated fee.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Where did you go in Spain? I really love Andalucia.
    Only Madrid and Barcelona, and Barc was mostly spent at Primavera, though we did do quite a bit of exploring. i will happily return one day and go exploring more now that i've gotten the huge cities out of the way. Such an amazing place.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Spain is my absolute favorite (of the relatively few) places I've traveled. I did a trip 6 years ago where I covered some of Catalonia, a lot of Andalusia, and Madrid/Toledo. Really excited to be heading back to Barcelona. What were your highlights there? I'm trying to figure out what to re-visit, and the truth is, I'd like to see almost everything again.

Every time I see the name I have to pronounce Andaluthia with ridiculously wrong emphasis.

I love Spain. I can't wait to see all your pictures, Drinkey.

All this talk of Europe is pushing me to tears. I miss Europe so much.

My favorite part of Spain was Costa Del Sol/Malaga and then driving to Rock of Gibralter. That was in the 90's, hopefully the beaches are still as beautiful when I go back.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Dalston, Stoke Newington, Shoreditch, Hoxton (in that order). Everything exciting in London is currently happening East as far as music goes. Bethnall Green is also a good area to be close to those mentioned and also fairly cheap to live. It also has good links into Holborn for LSE (and is walking distance to all the free shows at Rough Trade East, which are almost daily). There are very few parts of London that I would class as unsafe.
    Perfect. Thank you for the good word. These areas seem like a great fit.

I imagine the cost of living (pub prices) is generally lower than in Bloomsbury, Covent Garden and other very central touristy neighborhoods, yeah?
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-06-2012 at 06:53 PM.

So I'm abducting this thread now. I'm planning on driving across the country mid to late August for an indefinite amount of time starting from San Diego and working my way north then east. I'd like to know if anybody has any tips for just about any aspect of a cross country trek: something I wouldn't think to pack, cities and sights to see, good highways, tips for improving my car's mileage before I go or while I'm driving, etc. Lastly and more importantly, would anybody like some company for a couple days? I'm always in favor of crashing at someone's house than paying for some overpriced room. Not only would it save me money but I like the opportunity to get to know someone and to escape a trip full of tourist traps and isolation. I wouldn't really call this a vacation and more of a cliche soul searching post grad trip. So any advice or flaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

... most likely in a truck stop shower. But have fun and learn lots

lol, j/k

By "head north" do you mean up to WA state, then east? Highway 1 up the coast is tough to beat, and then as a music fan maybe consider checking out a show at the Gorge in central WA (5 miles off highway 80, 2.5 hours east of Seattle). It's definitely one of the most unique/spectacular music venues one could hope for.

**If you pass through Salt Lake City there's a phenomenal Mexican joint - The Red Iguana. It's worth your time.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 06-07-2012 at 02:36 AM.

My advice is watch your speed. Rural cops love targeting California license plates.

I am going to Wichita through Denver in a couple weeks.
    why the hell are you coming here?

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    So I'm abducting this thread now. I'm planning on driving across the country mid to late August for an indefinite amount of time starting from San Diego and working my way north then east. I'd like to know if anybody has any tips for just about any aspect of a cross country trek: something I wouldn't think to pack, cities and sights to see, good highways, tips for improving my car's mileage before I go or while I'm driving, etc. Lastly and more importantly, would anybody like some company for a couple days? I'm always in favor of crashing at someone's house than paying for some overpriced room. Not only would it save me money but I like the opportunity to get to know someone and to escape a trip full of tourist traps and isolation. I wouldn't really call this a vacation and more of a cliche soul searching post grad trip. So any advice or flaming?
    if you happen to pass through wichita, you can crash on my couch
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Quote Originally Posted by caeden View Post
    why the hell are you coming here?

You know how college buddies get together and go to Vegas without their wives? Not us. We go to Wichita to impose on a dying friend.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I'm gonna be in Atlantic City June 22-25. Is there anything worth seeing while I'm there?

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Perfect. Thank you for the good word. These areas seem like a great fit.

I imagine the cost of living (pub prices) is generally lower than in Bloomsbury, Covent Garden and other very central touristy neighborhoods, yeah?
    It will be cheaper, but not that much. There is a chain of pubs called Samuel Smiths that only sell their own lagers. They are the cheapest places to drink in Central London. The beer is quite drinkable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I'm always in favor of crashing at someone's house than paying for some overpriced room.
    You have a place if you pass through Seattle area. You should try to catch a day of Bumbershoot Labor Day weekend.

tips for improving my car's mileage before I go or while I'm driving
    Keep your tires inflated at top PSI.

You know how college buddies get together and go to Vegas without their wives? Not us. We go to Wichita to impose on a dying friend.
    sorry to hear about your friend
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

Any restaurant recommendations for the Jackson Hole WY area?
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Going to Hamburg in August for a few days (work stuff). Anybody been? Any suggestions?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I spent 3 weeks in Hamburg for work. It was in December, so the Christmas markets more or less kept me occupied. Check out Denmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.