Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 818283848586
Results 2,551 to 2,579 of 2579

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

We just got back from a bunch of random places that involved some plane, some train, and some cruise ship. Before getting into each, I have some honorable mentions regarding travel providers:

We flew to Europe and Back on Norwegian Airlines, aboard the “787 Dreamliner Experience”. I can’t speak highly enough of Norwegian. For starters, even with low fares, they allow you to book transatlantic one-way travel with no premium (unlike so many other international carriers). This allowed us to piecemeal together a very flexible trip. The cabin itself lives up to all the hype. The seats are spacious and accommodate long legs nicely, the window technology is awesome (you can see through them without letting light in, keeping cabin light down), it was very quiet inside, and I totally believe them when they say the Fresh Air and Cabin Pressure technologies allow for minimal jet lag and eye, nose, and throat issues. I give Norwegian an A+.

We used booking.com for all our hotel reservations and would give each of them the highest ratings possible. We completely trust the booking.com reviews, the variety is spectacular, prices are typically great, and we like the fact you can book directly (unlike some other travel review sites).

We sailed on the Celebrity Equinox from Venice to Istanbul, which is a sister ship in the same class to the Silhouette, which was the SS Coachella. It remains a spectacular ship and is rated a 93% and 4.5 stars on cruise critic for good reason. We didn’t spend much time on the boat because the cruise was so port-intensive. It was like renting a house at Coachella and using it only to sleep in. You really appreciate it after a long-day of exploring new places. We originally booked the cruise through Celebrity itself, but cancelled and rebooked through Costco who included a second cabin, free premium drinks, and gratuities for the same price. I don’t understand the whole travel agent industry, but Costco really came through strong.

As far as scams and annoyances go, the only thing we encountered were the overly abundant, overly helpful, helpers at Rome Termini. They spoke perfect English and acted like they were customer service agents directing you to where you need to go and then asking for compensation for their efforts. They’d get in front of you and ‘Lead’ you to your train or whatever. There were SO many of them, even on the trains before leaving the station to help you with your luggage and find your seat. When we couldn’t find a safe place for our suitcases, I finally broke down and allowed two of them to show me where our bags would fit above the seats. I gave them a total of 2 and 3 Euros and they wanted more. Needless to say, I kept a very good eye on our bags until the train started moving (and at all times I guess).

Norway (cont.)
    To close off Norway, it’s a beautiful country with friendly people, and lots of outdoor activities. We spent four days in a valley carved out by the incredible rushing Otta River. We closed off with Oslo, which was nice, but doesn’t really compete with other larger EU cities. The value of visiting Norway is heading North.

Geirangerfjord (from below the clouds)
    One of the days we drove to the source of the Otta river and then down a steep mountain down into this amazing fjord with waterfalls flowing down into it from all directions.

Village at the end of Geirangerfjord

Geirangerfjord (from above the same clouds)

Italy

Vatican Museum
    We spent two days in Rome doing all the normal sites, but one of the highlights for our entire family was the Vatican Museum. The day before, our kids bored themselves to death with the Audio tour of the Coliseum and Forum. We heard good things about the kids audio tour of the Vatican, so we decided to give it a try. The kids program was set up like a combination treasure hunt and history lesson. Only our kids know what was coming through their earphones inside the museum, but it was working. They didn’t want to leave. After each piece, they’d turn to us to teach us about it, which sounded much more interesting than the adult version we were listening to.

Also, we made Vatican Museum reservations the prior night at 11PM on their website. 13 hours later, we walked past the enormous line and right into the museum. Hot-tip: the reservation system is awesome!

Burano
    Steph and I have been to Venice, so we wanted to kick it off with something different by buying a 36 hours vaporetto pass and heading straight to Burano. Very nice and relaxing to get away from the crowds of Venice. We walked around the island over the course of a couple of hours and found ourselves alone on many of the canals surrounded by brightly colored homes.

View of Venice from Giudecca Canal
    We left Venice in the midst of an amazing Thunderstorm with 360 degree views of lightning strikes (wish I was sharp enough with the camera to capture some). Regardless, it was a surreal trip down the canal with incredible views; one that won’t be around for much longer as they dredge another entrance into the cruise ship terminal.

Dubrovnik
    Pretty easy to get around via busses and walking. It had a feel much like Tallinn or Riga, but with a warmer, Mediterranean feel.
    View of Walled City from Mount Srd

Stairs within Walled City

Corfu and Katakolon
    We took a couple days to break up the trip and relax on beaches. In Corfu, we rented a car and “Snorkel-hopped” the island. We decided to skip Olympia and do the same the next day in Katakolon, taking the “tourist-train” to a nearby beach for the day.

Santorini

Route to Fira

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Take the cable car. I am not a senior, a member of PETA, or weak, but mule rides can be very very uncomfortable affairs if you do not ride horseback regularly. And if any of those horror stories about how those animals are treated are true, it's not something you would want your children to be part of. I'd also cross off the hike as well, because you travel the same path as the mules. And as anyone who has ever hiked any heavily traveled horse/mule trail can attest, the smell, flies, pile dodging, and stepping aside for the mule trains to pass gets old real quick.
    Thank you for this advice. Our plan was to take one of the high-speed boats from the base of the cable-car over to Oia as soon as we got to shore. We woke up so early though and got the first priority tender pass to shore from the ship at 7AM that the boats weren’t operating yet. This paid off WELL however. We were in the first group up the cable cars and headed over to the bus station, only to find out that the first bus to Oai wasn’t for another 45 minutes, so I walked across the street and rented a car (45 euro including gas and Insurnace). By 7:30 we were driving to Oia, to find the most peaceful paradise that Santorini could ever be.

The way back down was a different story. With two cruise ships leaving that evening, the cable-car line was an hour long. We walked down the donkey steps. You are absolutely correct about the treatment of the mules / donkeys. In such a frequented spot, it’s unthinkable that they are still a viable option to get up and down the steps. The walk down was a quite memorable 45 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I agree, you will value your time in Fira and Oia more than you will value your time climbing there, either on a mule or not. I can't remember the name of it, but there is a volcanic black sand beach on the south end of the island that is pretty cool. Especially if you have never been to a black sand beach.
    We made it to the black sand beach, which was cool. There, we had one of the worst meal experiences ever. We ate at the first place that allowed us to park our car for free, which was a huge mistake. The restaurant staff was selectively plucked from South Beach Tow, Kitchen Nightmares, and Jersey Shore All-Stars. We ordered just in time for group-play of one-on-one staff fist fighting. 75 minutes later, we left after finishing one of our four meals, our waitress had been fired and literally KICKED out of the restaurant, and the bartender attempted to steal our rental car. But the black sand was nice.

Oia
    When we arrived in Oia, we were the only people in town not in their bathrobes on their terrace. It was beautiful, peaceful, and empty. We found a boutique hotel and sipped coffee poolside for an hour enjoying the view and serenity. We explored Oia the rest of the morning and drove down to the fishing village before heading South to the Black Sand Beach.

Ephesus
    Ephesus was the most amazing set of ruins of an ancient city I’ve come across. Just refreshing the history books before we left was enough to get me excited. It did not disappoint. They’ve done a fabulous job restoring the theaters, temples, terrace houses, and streets from thousands of years ago.

Terrace Houses
    The Terrace Houses are a section of the city that has been covered with a shade structure and crisscrossed with a set of tourist friendly platforms with see-through floors. There is so much active restoration, the place was buzzing with archeologists restoring frescos and mosaics, walls, floors, columns, and arches.

View from Memmius Monument throgh Hercules Gate towards Celsus Library & Agora

Library of Celsus
    The reconstruction of the 2000 y/o façade makes for an amazing site, as do the walls inside.

Turkish Food Spread (Country Farm House)
    For lunch, we stopped at a traditional country farm house about 10 minutes from the ancient city for the best meal of the trip. There were 30+ Turkish and Ottoman dishes with some tasty clay-pot recipes.

Istanbul
    It was Ramadan in Istanbul, which added to the already bright color of the city. There were additional markets set up around Sultanahmet, festive lights set up around town, and a buzz of activity once the sun set each evening. The coordinated echoing of the prayers throughout the top of the loudspeakers of each Mosque was surreal.

Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet) and Hagia Sophia view from Bosphorus

Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque view from Hotel

Inside Hagia Sophia

Inside Sultanahmet

Ramadan Picnics
    At night, thousands showed up to public areas to celebrate the end of fasting with elaborate meals on real dinnerware.

Grand Bazzar
    61 covered streets and 3,000 shops

Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Market)
    Best combinations of scent imaginable.

And finally,
    Obligatorily Cliché European Vacation Photo
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 08-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Awesome Wes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    11/29 2 Bears @Avalon - 12/5 Flight Facilities @Regent - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims

Excited that I've booked a two week trip to Costa Rica in February. My boyfriend owns a house in the mountains there, which is near the Panamanian border, so we'll spend a few days there and then go traveling along the coast and exploring nearby. Also going to spend a day sightseeing in San Jose when I first arrive. Can't wait!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

So I'll be heading to Boston next week for three nights and was just open to recommendations for places to eat or must sees while there. Definitely hitting up a Red Sox game, possibly a Bruin's preseason game, and a duck boat tour.

North End for Italian food.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I'll be in Belgrade next month. The bulk of my time will be accounted for, but I'll have some evenings and probably a day or two free to explore on my own. If anybody's got any recommendations for things I shouldn't miss, I'd love to hear them.

Very cool pics Playa.. That looks like a very well rounded trip!

I'm saving up for a trip to Spain with the mother in law and my mum. We want to go to Valencia and also to Paris.

Damn, Wes, thanks for sharing those pics and all the info.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    So I'll be heading to Boston next week for three nights and was just open to recommendations for places to eat or must sees while there. Definitely hitting up a Red Sox game, possibly a Bruin's preseason game, and a duck boat tour.
    Bar hop around Fenway: Before the game try the Cask N Flagon, then Boston Beer Works (try the Blueberry), then Game On, then the Bleacher Bar. Then stumble into a meaningless Red Sox Game.

After the game, gotta be the Baseball Tavern or Jerry Remy's or both.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    North End for Italian food.
    Regina Pizzaria!

Also to add to Santasutt's bar list, Bukowski Tavern is not far from Fenway either and has a great taplist and nice vibe.
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Piling on to the North End, there's at least one bakery up there that is open 24 hours and they sell these huge cannolis for like a $1. Oh, and doing a Faneuil Hall bar crawl is fun.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    um.
    #notallwhitesand
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Awesome recap and pics, wes.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Coachella Junkie

So, This coming Friday, I'm leaving for a 2 1/2 week long trip through Europe. I'll be in Portugal (Lisbon & Algarve region), Spain (Seville, Granada, Madrid, & Toledo), and then Germany to see a good friend of mine. I'm going solo and couldn't be more excited. That being said, I'm pretty damn nervous too. So, if anyone has any tips/advice for me, or knows the best tapas bar in Spain, bring it on.

Also, big question: What all do I do in the Algarve area for a couple of days since it isn't beach season? The weather is unfortunately going to be kinda rainy, too. I'll be staying near Carvoeiro in Lagoa for a few nights. Any recommendations for the area would be much appreciated!

Lisbon is so damn cheap. €1 beers ahoy. Will dig out a couple of cool places to check out there from my last jaunt over.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie

Thank you Hal

And any suggestions for the Algarve/southern coastal area would help big time.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I want to go back to Ireland and go to Newgrange. It is a 5200 year old winter solstice observatory, there is a long passage that lights up once a year at sunrise on the winter solstice (well, actually it is old enough that the light now hits a few minutes after sunrise).
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Eventually I will go back to Ireland and visit Newgrange, a 5000 year old passage tomb/temple.
    Eventually is now in four weeks.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 11-20-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: found the other quote
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Nice!

Coachella Junkie

I owe you guys a round of beers, because thanks to your recommendations, this is where I was a few days ago:

the Algarve, south Portugal

not too exotic travels, and can't find the bike thread, but did Pioneertown to Big Bear via the 2N02 service road on Sunday. Waited out back freezin ass for thirty minutes till Pappys opened at 11am. Coffee and whiskey shots at the bar to get warm, then the twenty miler up the mountain and across to Sandys sports bar in BB for Charger/Raider game. Turned out to be a great day...didn't get all the morning wind and the clouds moved so slowly and were so pristine. Road eighty miles total with the last ten being in darkness.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Matt,

Awesome! I tried a couple of times to send you PM but "fortunately" your inbox is full as it looks like you do not need additional travel tips from me ... you are a pro and you will enjoy it even more immensely by winging it, purely your travel style.

I am jealous as I am short in time that I could squeeze Granada in my Spain itinerary.

I am overly planning my trip which is scheduled next month. Revisiting mostly my favorite cities in Europe and first-time to a few. I will be spending a lot of time at Christmas markets, eat like there is no tomorrow - endless patisseries, coffee shops and tapa bars crawls, plus some at the most incredible food markets in the world. Hopefully, I still have the energy each late night at the best clubs in the world ... all plane, train, futbol fixtures etc are booked/purchased. Some friends living there are ready for me too, haha. Have to cancel or had to switch some accomodations via airbnb to try the more staying with the locals instead of hostels.
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

Airbnb's iPhone app is amazingly cool. Up there with the very best apps like Booking, Kayak, Google Maps, the ever improving and gorgeous Apple Maps - all the bar, major sites, tapa bars, coffee shops, boulangeries, bakeries, markets etc are lineup in the exact streets / route where I plan to hit in one nice screenshot after another.

3 posts in a row, why not lol. Jealous of Grananda because of the still prevailing free tapas culture (with a paid drink) over there. There are also some good and quality tapa bars doing it in Madrid, Barcelona etc but here is another piece of advice I cannot resist, make sure you also try the spectacular ones even if they are not free or really pricey (if you can afford it). With so much or mostly crappy food here in the states, for value and heavenly quality, Spain and Portugal are heavens for food lovers in Europe.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 11-21-2014 at 03:28 PM.

I was surprised how good (and cheap) the food was in Portugal. Never made it Algarve and wish I had more time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    not too exotic travels, and can't find the bike thread, but did Pioneertown to Big Bear via the 2N02 service road on Sunday. Waited out back freezin ass for thirty minutes till Pappys opened at 11am. Coffee and whiskey shots at the bar to get warm, then the twenty miler up the mountain and across to Sandys sports bar in BB for Charger/Raider game. Turned out to be a great day...didn't get all the morning wind and the clouds moved so slowly and were so pristine. Road eighty miles total with the last ten being in darkness.

This sounds awesome. Post more pics.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...ht=bike+salute

That does sound fun! Here's the thread you're looking for: The-Official-Motorcycle-Rider-Enthusiast-Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Sweet of you, but the few photos we took were mostly stupid stoner ones like this:

All the best shots were mental really. But these will help when I dedicate a video montage with “Two Ragged Soldiers” playing and mandatory marijuana consumption for attendees of my brother’s funeral someday.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Any suggestions for things to do in Quebec City/Montreal?

I've read a bunch of different blogs and what not but suggestions from you guys would probably be more useful for me.

Thanks!

How much you get paid for those namedrops, OP?