Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 80818283848586 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 2553

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

I wish I have the time and money now to do a long-term travel (at least a year) - traveling slowly and staying longer in off the beaten places. Having said that, my favorite countries that I keep going back to and have traveled most extensively (outside of USA) are Spain, Italy and France in that order. The people. The food. The culture. And for a lot more reasons. Not so much about the sights and attractions but if that is what your thing, they have ton of that as well.

My Favorite Places out of the 2 Islands in the Canaries I Have Visited:

Playa de las Canteras, San Cristobal de la Laguna, La Orotava ...

Favorite / Most Memorable Moments:

The spectacularly thrilling and incredibly scenic bus rides / trips around Tenerife; the unforgettable 3 Kings Parade at Gran Canaria ...

Malaga and Lisbon unexpectedly blew me away. I was a little concern before going to Lisbon. Like what I feel about going solo to Brazil. Anyway, yes, so many unforgettable and beautiful stories to tell ... they are about the people, the food and the culture.

Trips into/out of CI:
    -Flew aboard a Low Cost Carrier via Malaga airport into Gran Canaria (LPA).
    - Took the Fred Olsen Express Ferries at Agaete to hop onto the north Tenerife island in Santa Cruz.
    - Flew LCC via South Tenerife airport (TFS) into Lisbon - yep, there is also an airport (TNF) in the north side.

Well, I never been and really wanted to go to Malaga and Lisbon - that is why I ended up going there before and after my trips to the Canaries. And the LCC airfares were cheap flying in and out there.

I am so excited already for the next one because I finally able to squeeze San Sebastián (me being a food lover) and Sevilla (for the culture & people ) in my itinerary. I will be flying out of Paris into Sevilla for the festivities around the 3 Kings Day etc. And of course, visits to Christmas markets in all the places I will be (re)visiting including the epic ones in Germany and Austria. Birthday in Rome with my best friend & co., Christmas in Vienna with some friends, NYE in London, New Year's Day in Paris and start of another great year in Spain & more. TL;DR-sorry.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 07-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.

London is shit for NYE. Everybody leaves the city. It will be a ghost town. Just so you are aware.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie

Arman and everyone else - thank you so much for the advice and guidance. You're really leaning me towards a Spain/Portugal/Canary Islands adventure, and the more I look into it, the more I like. I have many more questions but will post them once I've had time to do more research.

So, in the meantime, here are some pictures from my recent adventure to Iceland. I've included a few descriptions on all of these too. This is a long post - please do not quote it!

Reykjavik

Seljalandsfoss waterfall

Skogafoss Waterfall

Countryside

Skaftafell Park

Godafoss Waterfall

Hveragerđi geothermal park - natural hot springs!

Aurora Borealis

Don't speed in Iceland, or you'll get a frowny face!

Great pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Very nice! Iceland is on my must-see list. And thanks to those pics, and the Portugal discussion, I think my next European trip will include one of the two.

Matt... when were you in Iceland? You say "recent" but there's snow on the streets of Rekjavik. It doesn't snow there in June does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Both Iceland and Portugal are fab. You can always time a trip to coincide with Primavera, ATP Iceland or Iceland Airwaves too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

nice pics, matt!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Matt... when were you in Iceland? You say "recent" but there's snow on the streets of Rekjavik. It doesn't snow there in June does it?
    I went back in late March/Early April. So, kinda recent. As you can see in the photos, there was patchy snow in some places. It all depended on where you were - the southern part of the island had less snow, but as you got into the northern part and into the mountains, you came across alot more and heavier in spots. We actually drove through a snowstorm one morning in the northern area. Reykjavik had snow when first got there (the picture was taken on day 1 of the trip), but when we got back into town a week later most of it had melted.

Hey, has anyone done Global Entry (I'm assuming Tom and Wes have)? How long did it take to get your interview, do you remember? I signed up and paid yesterday; figured that it's worth it with me traveling twice a month...hoping I can get it all sorted before we go to Spain.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie

So Arman and other travelers, I've got a few newbie questions about doing a possible Spain & Portugal trip.

1) Traveling - I may be looking to visit Lisbon, Seville, Madrid, and Barcelona. Maybe the Algarve area in south Portugal if time allows it. If I'm planning to do all of this, do you folks recommend a rental car or a different mean of transportation? If I do the rental car route, do I need to apply for a foreign driver's license? Id cruising through Spain/Portugal pretty easy?

2) Canary Islands - I want to do Tenerife so I can check out Teide Nat'l Park. I could set aside 1 day for the park, how long otherwise do you recommend someone stays here?

I'm sure I'll think of something else soon.

Your American DL should be fine in Spain from what I've read. Madrid and Barcelona have really great public transit options; it's my understanding that you can also get around pretty easily in Seville without a car. Not sure about the rest. We're taking trains between the cities, but you can also fly really cheaply between MAD/BCN on some of the low cost carriers. Might end up being cheaper than renting a car. Gas is a bit pricier over there too.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie

OK noted. How much were the train prices, if you don't mind my asking?

It depends. We bought our train tickets really early from Seville to Barcelona and got a really great early buyer price (35 euro each)....I think I have seen them for up to 115 euro each. I was having a hard time getting Renfe to take my credit card for the other purchase we needed (Madrid to Seville) so I gave up...and then forgot. I actually just got our tickets for that route this week and I still got a good deal, just not a great one. I think I paid 30 euro each for those. Anyway, the Renfe site is a huge hassle and many Americans have problems getting their credit cards to go through. I highly recommend using an American booking site, Petrabax , instead. No muss, no fuss, and no booking fee. Only downside is that you might find a super cheap special deal fare on Renfe that is specific only to their direct site. In any case, I have heard not great things about RailEurope (mainly due to their high booking fees...I've also read that Renfe doesn't like Rail Europe so they might give you shit when getting on board).

You can get a lot of info about their train system on Seat61.com. Lots of great Euro train info there. Vueling is a low-cost carrier for trips from Madrid to Barcelona. You might be able to get a really nice cheap flight if you book early enough. We opted for the trains because I'd like to experience a different form of travel...I spend so much time in airports and airplanes as it is.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 07-17-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Q: What's the difference between Americans and yogurt?

A: If you leave yogurt alone for 200 years, it'll grow a culture.

I think Americans have the most beautiful, diverse, and dynamic culture in the entire world. I think that is evident from our constitution and the ideological foundation of our country, to the pot smoking, big wave surfing, computer programmers in Silicon Valley, to the beautiful Walt Disney concert hall located in the heart of the creative Capitol of the world, to the big sky Montana my own Idaho slums of Beverly Hills barrios of the Angels and so many YOGERT eaters in Queens NY yadda yadda yadda

I echoed captncrazy's recommendations. Nice works and researching, Jen! I will try to send you a PM later today, Matt.

For now, install the following travel apps in your smartphone if you do not have them yet or check their web sites for planning purposes or travel deals hunting:

Skyscanner
    theflightdeal.com
    Booking.com
    Hostelworld
    Tripadvisor Forum
    and many more that tremendously helped me personally in the past. I will explain in the PM why etc else this post will get really long again.

Coachella Junkie

Thank you for all of the advice Jen and Arman, If I have more questions I'll post them Checking out those sites now.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Vueling is a low-cost carrier for trips from Madrid to Barcelona. You might be able to get a really nice cheap flight if you book early enough. We opted for the trains because I'd like to experience a different form of travel...I spend so much time in airports and airplanes as it is.
    I flew Vueling from Milan to Barca. I can recommend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Captncrzy, I just read your travel advice post and wow am I glad that most of that has never happened to me. Once, i think in Brazil, the friendship bracelet thing happened to me where a guy came up to our table and started making conversation. he asked my name and then started making a wire like thing with my name and then he gave it to me (all of it unprompted and unwanted by me) and gave it to me and asked me to pay for it. I knew he would not leave me alone if I didn't pay and he would keep coming back to our table. So I gave him enough to just satisfy him.

I was also cursed by a gypsy in South America for not wanting her fortune telling services. She spit on the ground near me and then proceeded to walk around the grassy plaza we were in, take a squat, hike up her long skirt a little, and pee in the middle of the plaza. I was amused, but probably more horrified.

Sorry. I got off topic.

I hate the obligatory forced sales push! It happens everywhere unfortunately. There is a Hutterite or Mennonite colony near where I live that drop in on businesses with blankets and pillows and stuff. They came into my former work one day with personalized pillows they had sewn. I was just looking at them casually, and one lady says hello, chats me up and asks my name, so I told her, thinking she was just being nice. Two weeks later she shows up with a pillow with my name on it and wants 50 bucks for it. Needless to say I disappointed her.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Most of those are common sense but they're good reminders. It never occurred to me that they may be watching where you are keeping your wallet...I guess because I don't carry my wallet in my pockets.

That's why I always zip-tie my wallet to my junk.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Stop acting as if people aren't already staring at your junk

Coachella Junkie

I'd pickpocket the hell out of Bryan.

But I wouldn't be reaching in for the cash.

Awesome Iceland pics.

I am also feeling validated in my discomfort about flying over Ukraine the other month on my way home from Doha...
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    Awesome Iceland pics.

I am also feeling validated in my discomfort about flying over Ukraine the other month on my way home from Doha...
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I got my Global Travel authorization number over the weekend and was able to utilize pre-check finally. So nice to not have to take my shoes off or deal with my laptop. Well worth the $100.