Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 7980818283848586 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2563

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Hope you're having a blast in the Phillipines and France! Unfortunately can't give any advice on either.

I just booked a weekend in Atlanta, 7/11-7/14. Any can't miss spots? I'll be deferring to Mr. and Mrs. Icedkeg on everything, but suggestions are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent - 11/16 Brazilian Girls@Roxy

I'll going to Boston in a few weeks and will have the weekend available to wander around (June 21 and 22nd).

I'm staying by the Theater District, any recommendations on what to do in a day and a half?

Also, on Sunday afternoon I would like to find a good place to watch the world cup game of USA vs Portugal. Can anyone recommend and good pubs or places where soccer fans might congregate?
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

So I'm debating where to go on a family vacation with my lady and her son (12 years old) and it's a toss up between Boston and NYC. Looking at the second week or so of September and definitely hitting up a baseball game and looking to sight see. Any input is appreciated.

I personally prefer Boston over NYC. I think the American history aspect is cool (Paul Revere's run is painted in red throughout the city and you can follow it).
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

you're talking about the Freedom Trail, which is not Paul Revere's ride. Revere rode from Boston to Lexington.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Hope you're having a blast in the Phillipines and France! Unfortunately can't give any advice on either.

I just booked a weekend in Atlanta, 7/11-7/14. Any can't miss spots? I'll be deferring to Mr. and Mrs. Icedkeg on everything, but suggestions are welcome.
    I don't know if I'd label either a can't miss, but I like the burgers at Vortex (especially the Hell's Fury burger) and last time I was there, we ran up a ridiculous tab at Limerick Junction (Irish pub and apparently the oldest one in Atlanta.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil50 View Post
    So I'm debating where to go on a family vacation with my lady and her son (12 years old) and it's a toss up between Boston and NYC. Looking at the second week or so of September and definitely hitting up a baseball game and looking to sight see. Any input is appreciated.
    Both are great, but I think New York is ripe for a 12 year old. My 11 year old would not be happy to go to Boston knowing that NYC was on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

I don't remember what it was. I just remember it was painted red. Also, I was drunk most of the time because Irish pubs
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    I don't know if I'd label either a can't miss, but I like the burgers at Vortex (especially the Hell's Fury burger) and last time I was there, we ran up a ridiculous tab at Limerick Junction (Irish pub and apparently the oldest one in Atlanta.)
    thank you. i'll look them up.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent - 11/16 Brazilian Girls@Roxy

Coachella Junkie

bump bump

So, I'm planning to take 2 weeks off of work in November to do some traveling. I did Iceland earlier this year and had the most amazing time (I'll eventually post pictures in here). However, I'm torn on where to go and would love some advice/suggestions from my fellow boardies.

I know that I'd like to go to some places that I haven't before - no England, France, or Brazil (unless someone else wants to go!). I've given these ideas some thought:
    - Central European vacation involving Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany
    - Spain & Portugal, maybe another country?
    - Amsterdam, Belgium, Germany
    - Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England - the full UK
    - Any South American recommendations welcome too!

Alot of it's dependent on cost of going to these places (which ones are more expensive than others), where someone else may want to go (if I travel with someone), and just overall what is there to do during the night & day? I'm also curious - does anyone live overseas that'd be willing to put up a boardie for a couple of nights & maybe serve as a tour guide? I'm trying to save money in doing this, and would gladly repay the favor should anyone ever find themselves in my neck of the woods.

Any recommendations or thoughts please send my way. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    bump bump

So, I'm planning to take 2 weeks off of work in November to do some traveling. I did Iceland earlier this year and had the most amazing time (I'll eventually post pictures in here). However, I'm torn on where to go and would love some advice/suggestions from my fellow boardies.

I know that I'd like to go to some places that I haven't before - no England, France, or Brazil (unless someone else wants to go!). I've given these ideas some thought:

Alot of it's dependent on cost of going to these places (which ones are more expensive than others), where someone else may want to go (if I travel with someone), and just overall what is there to do during the night & day? I'm also curious - does anyone live overseas that'd be willing to put up a boardie for a couple of nights & maybe serve as a tour guide? I'm trying to save money in doing this, and would gladly repay the favor should anyone ever find themselves in my neck of the woods.

We're going to Spain in November. If you end up going there, let us know when you are headed over.

I have been to all these places. They are all worth visiting.

Central Europe is very nice. I like Vienna, Salzburg, Berlin, Prague. Munich is interesting I suppose, but the "old town" felt like disneyland and the rest of the city is just a big city, you could be in Dallas or something.

Spain is great. Barcelona, Madrid, and especially (for me) Andalusia.. Sevilla is a marvelous city. Hot as all fuck in the summer though.

If you've never been to Amsterdam you should go. Brussels, eh, they have good beer and pretzels and chocolate and french fries. Western Germany is ok.. the Rhine/Mosel wine country is kind of cool. Cologne is a little dull, Frankfurt is a lot dull.

Ireland is not in the UK. well most of it isn't. I like Ireland though.

Been to Macchu Pichu and that whole "inca" area in Peru, and that's the journey of a lifetime if you can swing it.
    Last edited by TomAz; 07-03-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

bump bump

If your doing your trip in November, the Spain/Portugal trip will have the best weather out of the European options and would likely be the cheapest option. There's a ton of things to see in Spain between Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Granada, side trip to Ibiza, Canary Islands, or Morocco.

I agree, Madrid might be a bit chilly, but Seville/Granada will be glorious in November.

Coachella Junkie

Thanks for the input so far. I'll be researching more about Spain tonight. Any more geographical input on Seville/Granada and the Canary Islands would be great (options on getting there, etc).

Jen, when in November are you going?

You have to fly to the Canary Islands, usually from Madrid or Barcelona. The main island is Tenerife and the airport code is TFN. Its a beautiful island that is basically off the coast of Africa and is essentially the Hawaii of Europe.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll be researching more about Spain tonight. Any more geographical input on Seville/Granada and the Canary Islands would be great (options on getting there, etc).

Jen, when in November are you going?
    Nov 2-5 Madrid
    Nov 5-8 Seville
    Nov 8-11 Barcelona

Coachella Junkie

Ah, I'm looking to do the weeks before and of Thanksgiving. I'd be getting in shortly after you left

How much should I plan on budgeting food/drink/hotel wise? Any estimates?

One million dollars.

Because fucking millenials that's what

Ah, I'm looking to do the weeks before and of Thanksgiving. I'd be getting in shortly after you left

How much should I plan on budgeting food/drink/hotel wise? Any estimates?
    I'm finding the hotels to be relatively cheap in Madrid and Barcelona. Well under a hundred euro a night, even for a decent one. I didn't look into any youth hostels but I bet those are extremely cheap in November (shoulder season). I also know you can get a small beer or a glass of local red wine for about a euro a piece.

I was in Atlanta for training a couple years ago (thanks, ADP!) and Jen and I had a ridiculously awesome meal at Mary Mac's Tea Room. I'm not generally one for soul food but that place made me a fan. We also had a really good breakfast at The Flying Biscuit, which my memory suggests may have had a biscuit posing as a flying saucer somewhere on the property, be it as a sculpture or painting, but I may be remembering that incorrectly.

Cannot recommend Amsterdam enough. If there weren't more places in Europe we wanted to hit, that would be my preferred destination every year. We bought 2 hash brownies and split them up each of the 2 days we were there and they were so potent I thought I was going to melt into my chair at dinner. The Van Gogh museum was also really interesting, and we found this café near our hotel (Banks Mansion, which was amazing, although it was expensive as fuck and would probably consume a good chunk of your budget) where we were served a bunch of Duvel by a gregarious Carl Cox look-alike who must have fucked up running my card because our 80+ euro tab never hit our account.
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Missed this when you first posted, but the Vortex and Limerick Junction recommendations are solid. The Vortex has a couple locations – the best is in Little Five Points and is right around the corner from a couple really good record stores (Criminal Records and Wax 'n Facts). Not sure what else you're looking to do, but feel free to post here or send me a PM. I've lived here for five years and can probably point you in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Arrived in Norway a few days ago and made the trek up North to visit in-laws. Stopped in Lillehammer along the way for 24 hours and would love to go back for a few days because of so many outdoor activities. The town is absolutely beautiful, situated along a wide river in a grand valley, like most towns here are. We hiked up to the ski stadium and around the Olympic grounds, which remain pristine. While there, we watched a few dozen summertime ski jumps and caught a U10 Youth Hockey match before heading 15 minutes north to where we went down the Olympic Bobsled Track in a wheelbob. Caught some serious G's riding up on those turns.

Now, we're staying on a cabin alongside a rushing river, watching World Cup in the Midnight Sun. Today, we did the hardest ropes course ever (for me at least), with the kids and walked around town.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Need Prague advice stat. Very worn out by Glastonbury+4 straight nights of mainlining crap Danish beer in CPH (Skol!!)

Looking for best practices re: sightseeing and food. The nightlife stuff is ubiquitous and obvious...

Matty--hey also wanted to second my husband's recommendation of Amsterdam. Just be aware that it's a tough city on a budget. IIRC, Amsterdam is the second most expensive city in the UK next to London. The Banks Mansion ran upwards of $300 a night (however, it was an open bar hotel....so we made sure to try to drink our money's worth).

Chris (sonofhal) has mentioned to me in the past that Portugal is incredibly cool and incredibly cheap. So that may be an option for you too.

Totally looking forward to getting lost in a sea of tapas and red wine. Sorry we'll just be crossing paths.

Amsterdam is in the UK now? Cool.

Portugal is currently the cheapest place to visit in Europe, and also one of the most beautiful. Great food too.

I don't remember Amsterdam being expensive, bar hotels.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I was a bottle of wine in when I wrote that.

Below is a link to the 3 star traveler index. AMS isn't the most expensive, but it's in the top 10.

http://www.priceoftravel.com/2427/eu...raveler-index/

It is all relative. For people living in USA, generally we find most places in Western Europe (more) expensive. For people in the UK, expensive cities like Amsterdam, Paris, Brussels etc are a little cheaper (or at worst, about the same) when you compare it to say, London, the most expensive city in that side of Europe.

From my experience, London is up there with most expensive cities in Switzerland, Copenhagen and Stockholm. But it is easier to find amazing free things to do or "best value" or bargains (if you work hard) on anything especially when it comes to any type of accommodations in London vs. all those expensive places.

Matt,

If your budget survived and you have had an amazing time - aka able to do or enjoy great things in life - be it for for free or at a premium cost in Iceland, England and France - you & your wallet are ready for the most expensive places in the world, yeah, even Sydney (any place in Australia), Moscow, Japan (found the last one not to be THAT expensive since I went there after having been to some of the most expensive places in Europe) and especially, any place in your list. If you loved and enjoyed tent camping at Coachella ... your wallet will love you as if you plan & do it smartly, be prepared for some life-changing independent and budget backpacking by staying in hostels or via couchsurfing.

If you really want warm climate and almost guaranteed some time at the beach and nature-tripping somewhere in "Europe" that are also budget-friendly - Canary Islands and/or mainland Spain & Portugal is indeed a good choice. In my experiences so far, Spain and Portugal are the best value in Western Europe. I was in Malaga, Gran Canaria & Tenerife Canary Islands and Lisbon during the last leg of my 2013-2014 Christmas and New Year trips which ended middle of January early this year. More details on this later for tips, logistics and my top travel lists/experiences.

If you really want the cheapest and maybe a little colder than where you live ... Still in Europe ... I will suggest Eastern Europe plus Budapest and/or Prague (depending on where you will decide to go in EE as one or both could be too far). I have not been to EE but I have been twice to Prague on 2 different seasons (celebrated the last NYE there). I will do a more proper and little more extensive Christmas and New Year's vacation again late this year - revisiting again some of my favorite places in Europe to experience or celebrate my birthday and all my most favorite holidays. I will be also in some place that I have never been including Sofia, Bulgaria (my would be first visit to EE). Not sure if I will have the time and if the weather will cooperate a super quick side trip to Poznan, Poland from Berlin. I booked all the flights (using frequent flyer rewards the RT to Rome) and accommodations I need. I did it on the same day I purchases my 2015 Coachella passes.

If you want cheaper than Eastern Europe and even warmer than the Canary Islands plus maybe even more life-altering 2 weeks experience, how about Thailand? Or pick your paradise anywhere in Southeast Asia. Keep in mind, Singapore and HongKong, when it comes to prices of anything (except maybe street or hawker center food), they are the Switzerland, London and Australia of SEA.

Follow your gut instincts, make your dreams come true. I am not saying go to those super expensive places now like Sydney where I celebrated 2011-2012 Christmas & NYE. Man, strolling at the beaches Christmas Day and New Year's Day make it all worth it! I even got to stroll around Waikiki Beach still New Year's day by flying out of Sydney the same day. Hehe

As where I will celebrate 2014-2015 NYE? London baby! Finally. It won via penalty shoot out over Edinburgh. It lost several times in the previous finals of my World Cup NYE dreams.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 07-06-2014 at 12:31 PM.

I wish I have the time and money now to do a long-term travel (at least a year) - traveling slowly and staying longer in off the beaten places. Having said that, my favorite countries that I keep going back to and have traveled most extensively (outside of USA) are Spain, Italy and France in that order. The people. The food. The culture. And for a lot more reasons. Not so much about the sights and attractions but if that is what your thing, they have ton of that as well.

My Favorite Places out of the 2 Islands in the Canaries I Have Visited:

Playa de las Canteras, San Cristobal de la Laguna, La Orotava ...

Favorite / Most Memorable Moments:

The spectacularly thrilling and incredibly scenic bus rides / trips around Tenerife; the unforgettable 3 Kings Parade at Gran Canaria ...

Malaga and Lisbon unexpectedly blew me away. I was a little concern before going to Lisbon. Like what I feel about going solo to Brazil. Anyway, yes, so many unforgettable and beautiful stories to tell ... they are about the people, the food and the culture.

Trips into/out of CI:
    -Flew aboard a Low Cost Carrier via Malaga airport into Gran Canaria (LPA).
    - Took the Fred Olsen Express Ferries at Agaete to hop onto the north Tenerife island in Santa Cruz.
    - Flew LCC via South Tenerife airport (TFS) into Lisbon - yep, there is also an airport (TNF) in the north side.

Well, I never been and really wanted to go to Malaga and Lisbon - that is why I ended up going there before and after my trips to the Canaries. And the LCC airfares were cheap flying in and out there.

I am so excited already for the next one because I finally able to squeeze San Sebastián (me being a food lover) and Sevilla (for the culture & people ) in my itinerary. I will be flying out of Paris into Sevilla for the festivities around the 3 Kings Day etc. And of course, visits to Christmas markets in all the places I will be (re)visiting including the epic ones in Germany and Austria. Birthday in Rome with my best friend & co., Christmas in Vienna with some friends, NYE in London, New Year's Day in Paris and start of another great year in Spain & more. TL;DR-sorry.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 07-06-2014 at 01:34 PM.