Page 82 of 86 FirstFirst ... 77787980818283848586 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2555

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Which reminds me of that old joke about Juan and Amal.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I forgot and brought back about 150 yuan from my trip to China last month. it's still in my car. If anybody needs yuan, i'll make you a fair deal.
    I have a few hundred rupees an Indian roommate of mine left in a desk.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

apparently i get a discount on currency conversions too through my bank, though i'm sure it's nominal. and they will set-up a travel card for me to use at no charge. awesome. i love living in the future.

i hope to have some leftover coins to add to my collection, but i am probably going to bring like $100 with me and then take out more if i need so i don't end up with too much.

again, i appreciate the advice everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

San Francisco this weekend!! Visiting a college buddy; I haven't seen her since graduation.

Be sure and change your money before you go, birdie.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    so it's been many years since i have traveled out of the country. i am going to jamaica. how do people handle currency differences these days? is it better to just convert currency here and bring a bunch with you? is it better to use your credit cards, even if they have associated fees? is it better to buy some things with currency and others with a card? my name is not on the hotel room, so i am really just talking about food & drink & activities. thank you
    Pretty much everywhere in Jamaica accepts USD, just make sure they're not shaking you down with a shitty exchange rate.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    San Francisco this weekend!! Visiting a college buddy; I haven't seen her since graduation.
    http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/..._san_fr_42.php in case you're looking to go out to a party.

http://www.pinkmammoth.org/events/perfect-10/ as well. Wear pink, put on feathers, you'll fit right in.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    apparently i get a discount on currency conversions too through my bank, though i'm sure it's nominal. and they will set-up a travel card for me to use at no charge. awesome. i love living in the future.

i hope to have some leftover coins to add to my collection, but i am probably going to bring like $100 with me and then take out more if i need so i don't end up with too much.

again, i appreciate the advice everyone
    Be very careful and aware if you hit an ATM. We had to leave our resort to go get more money from an ATM at a bank down the road. The MINIMUM amount the machine would let us take out was $500. I'm sure machines like that are closely monitored by thieves.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

We brought back quite a few coins (and bills because they are plastic and partially transparent) from Costa Rica and they were appreciated as gifts for the nieces and nephews. Here's 1376 colones! They're worth less than three dollars (he said under his breath).
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I will definitely agree with others that ATMs really are the way to go in most major countries, but a place like Jamaica I'd definitely want to do research. I like that i don't feel like I need to walk around with $700 in cash strapped to me anymore when i travel.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/..._san_fr_42.php in case you're looking to go out to a party.

http://www.pinkmammoth.org/events/perfect-10/ as well. Wear pink, put on feathers, you'll fit right in.
    Thanks for the suggestions, haha. My friend is not the party-type though.

Too bad the Niners didn't make it to the Superbowl.... gaaahhh

"gaaahhh"

LOLZ Tom

Your friend is the non-partying, boring type? Color me shocked. Well, all of the magnolias are in full bloom at the Golden Gate botanical gardens.

Hahahaha. I think that's one of our stops, actually...
    Psychic!

The Anders Zorn exhibit at the Legion of Honor is worth checking out as well.

Going to the Caribbean in January next year. We've already done Jamaica and St. Lucia. Where should we go next? Key deciding factors being beaches, food and snorkeling.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

my girlfriend used to teach scuba at the turks & cacos or however it is spelled and she loved it!

my uncle and i talked today about his experiences in montego bay when he went for work. he told me people like to try to sell you ganj, which he also explained is a strong version of pot. if he only knew
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

just monitor your bank statements after the trip for some ATMs aren't that secure (I suspect one in Choean, Morocco was the leak) and your numbers may get compromised. Not a big deal with all the protection US banks give you, but its a time consumer if it happens afterward.

Anyone been to Santa Cruz Islands off Ventura and can recommend a hike? A friend is getting a surprise birthday party April 10th thru the 14th (thinks he's just going with his brother but twelve other dudes are showing up too). Testing mushrooms for the trip at Joshua Tree on March 14 (full moon evidently). Ganj, booze also a given. Bought this kayak with a sprayskirt, Warmers half finger paddling gloves, kayak idle paddle holder, and garden foaming cushion for arse. Not me in pic, aint that buff.

The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Yes! At the end of the year is when airlines are going to be phasing it in, if not now. So do not be a dick about it til then.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/ped/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Trent View Post
    This is going to be interesting. I was reading another article which talked about how some airlines are trying to get their planes the required certificates and that it would also vary depending on the specific aircraft model.

I think it's going to be rather messy until it is all properly standardized within airlines, with some travelers using different airlines for their trips.
    Had our recent flight to Hawaii via Phoenix gone as planned, I might be able to boast about this. But, due to flights being cancelled or delayed, we ended up with an itinerary that started in Palm Springs with a 2 hour layover in Phoenix, followed by a flight to San Francisco for another hour and a half layover. It was on that flight, (US AIRWAYS) that I went through the sign up and log in features for WiFi, thinking it would help pass the time on the 5 hr flight to the islands. I never thought about the change in airlines affecting my purchase, but alas, UNITED Airlines didn't work with my US Airlines WiFi system, and I spent the 5 hours kicking myself in the ass...

you know the wifi doesn't work over an ocean, right?

Hey so I me and my fiancee are planning to go to thailand for ten days over christmas break this year. We for sure want to do at least 4 nights in an expensive villa in ko samui but then we are looking to go much cheaper. And possibly do another island that is beautiful but still has a lot of nightlife options as well. If anyone has been there and has any suggestions let me know.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Hey so I me and my fiancee are planning to go to thailand for ten days over christmas break this year. We for sure want to do at least 4 nights in an expensive villa in ko samui but then we are looking to go much cheaper. And possibly do another island that is beautiful but still has a lot of nightlife options as well. If anyone has been there and has any suggestions let me know.
    Koh Phi Phi. Plan for more than 10 days you won't regret it.

Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao are islands close to Ko Samui - ferry ride to Ko Pha Ngan and another to Ko Tao. Ko Pha Ngan is where the full moon party takes place but everywhere will celebrate all phases of the moon just at a lesser scale. Ko Tao is more relaxed and is/was known for its diving.

You can also fly Bangkok Airways from Ko Samui to Krabi or Phuket to get to the Andaman Sea side. I wouldn't stay at either city (Phuket is way too built up now) but there are a few islands accessible by ferry. Ko Phi Phi is a popular destination and is where the beach was filmed but The water is getting polluted now. I really liked Railay Beach which is a longtail boat ride from Krabi which had a rasta feel to it, rock climbing, general good place to chill. There are more choices from Phuket and Railay that are off the beaten path to explore which maybe another boardie who has gone more recently can give advice to what is popular with backpackers which usually end up be the best places.

With six days I think you can plan to visit two places and not feel too rushed. More then two is doable but you must factor in that transportation to and from places can take a good portion of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Puerto Vallarta's liveliest website!, brought to you by Cartel Publishing

Meanwhile, West Virginia probably needs to hire a publicist at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao are islands close to Ko Samui - ferry ride to Ko Pha Ngan and another to Ko Tao. Ko Pha Ngan is where the full moon party takes place but everywhere will celebrate all phases of the moon just at a lesser scale. Ko Tao is more relaxed and is/was known for its diving.

You can also fly Bangkok Airways from Ko Samui to Krabi or Phuket to get to the Andaman Sea side. I wouldn't stay at either city (Phuket is way too built up now) but there are a few islands accessible by ferry. Ko Phi Phi is a popular destination and is where the beach was filmed but The water is getting polluted now. I really liked Railay Beach which is a longtail boat ride from Krabi which had a rasta feel to it, rock climbing, general good place to chill. There are more choices from Phuket and Railay that are off the beaten path to explore which maybe another boardie who has gone more recently can give advice to what is popular with backpackers which usually end up be the best places.

With six days I think you can plan to visit two places and not feel too rushed. More then two is doable but you must factor in that transportation to and from places can take a good portion of the day.
    Thanks! yea we are looking at doing bangkok for a couple days and then my friend highly highly recommended railey beach so we might stay there until new years.

Thanks! yea we are looking at doing bangkok for a couple days and then my friend highly highly recommended railey beach so we might stay there until new years.
    Railey beach is amazing. Get a hotel on the beach. Totally worth it. Hike up the trail to the hidden lagoon. I would also suggest ko lanta.

Railey doesn't have much of a night life, but monkeys, monkeys everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Railey beach is amazing. Get a hotel on the beach. Totally worth it. Hike up the trail to the hidden lagoon. I would also suggest ko lanta.

Railey doesn't have much of a night life, but monkeys, monkeys everywhere.
    Is there anyway to get herb or anything? I know about the shakes but by the pictures a j and sunset on one of those beaches seems sublime.

Is there anyway to get herb or anything? I know about the shakes but by the pictures a j and sunset on one of those beaches seems sublime.
    Herb and mushrooms are very abundant. Play it smart though. The Thai are usually looking to make a quick buck, but there are plenty of backpackers and travelers that can point you in the right direction.