Page 70 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2553

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    Do you have NYE plans yet? Also, what are you looking to do in Vancouver and any ideas where you are going to be staying?

I also was accepted into an archaeological dig in Romania and just weighing it all now. I am looking at flights and the best value seems to be in Budapest for 1200 rt from Seattle. I saw SEA - Brussels for 800 a few weeks ago but that is gone now. Any ideas for where is the best to fly into? Any highlights for the area in the summer time?
    Last time I flew into Budapest was from Prague. Czech Airlines straight flight and it was reasonably priced, iirc. To get to Prague I had to do a jumper from Schiphol. Not sure if that will be particularly cost effective. I'd still take a look at Czech airline and see if there are any deals.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    Do you have NYE plans yet? Also, what are you looking to do in Vancouver and any ideas where you are going to be staying?

I also was accepted into an archaeological dig in Romania and just weighing it all now. I am looking at flights and the best value seems to be in Budapest for 1200 rt from Seattle. I saw SEA - Brussels for 800 a few weeks ago but that is gone now. Any ideas for where is the best to fly into? Any highlights for the area in the summer time?
    no NYE plans yet and as far as places to stay, just going to do some quick airbnb searches for available dates. The hubby likes to stay anywhere near a gay neighborhood, i like to go near music venues. luckily they tend to overlap in many cities.

Have fun in Romania! i'll be in Europe in April.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

old school

Davie probably has some good stuff on airbnb. Since you'll probably be in the West End and if it is a nice day out, be sure to walk the Sea Wall, it is quite beautiful, and spend a bit of time in Stanley Park too. Enjoy Vancouver, its a great city.

Thank you for the tips.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    North Carolina is actually pretty awesome IMO. Check out this travel article from the New York Times.
    Thanks, looks cool! I finally booked the trip so it's for sure now. Going to try to just use the metro while in DC, then rent a car to drive to NC and keep it for the time I'm there. Should be pretty fun.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Thank you for the tips.
    If you have any specific questions just ask, I am pretty new to the city but I could maybe help depending on your interests.

Paging Arizona. What would an ideal family road-trip itinerary be for 3-4 nights in Northern Arizona that would include the Grand Canyon and Sedona? We’ll be leaving from Vegas on a Monday morning the last week of March and heading back on the 10 to LA on Thurs or Fri. As far as outdoor activities go, our least common denominator is a six-year-old girl. What are the must-do’s in that area? Any recommendations on areas or places to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Paging Arizona. What would an ideal family road-trip itinerary be for 3-4 nights in Northern Arizona that would include the Grand Canyon and Sedona? We’ll be leaving from Vegas on a Monday morning the last week of March and heading back on the 10 to LA on Thurs or Fri. As far as outdoor activities go, our least common denominator is a six-year-old girl. What are the must-do’s in that area? Any recommendations on areas or places to stay?
    You could hit Maynard's vineyard on the way

https://plus.google.com/113663539346...ut?gl=us&hl=en
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Grand Canyon Deer Farm. 60 miles South of the Grand Canyon. Williams is a good option as a place to stay when going to the Grand Canyon anyway, unless you're intent on hiking/see it in the early morning/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

headed to Phoenix for a large family reunion this weekend and it's probably fucked up that I'm not really excited about it all. But, anyway, I'd do one day in Sedona walking the main drag doin some store browsing. Buy her a cowgirl outfit, or a cowboy one if she's a tomboy, and an icecream. Maybe check out that church on the hill, do a hike if arsed. Stay in a cheap Flagstaff hotel that night (they are all pretty much the same I think). Bring peanuts for the highly friendly squirrels of the North Rim (had one jump on my knee and sit there comfortably). I want to do the Soap Trail, but that may be a bit much for your kid. I'd still try to get down to the river somehow and, if not, one day is enough for the GC. Be like Chevy Chase in Vacation and take a quick peek, then leave. It is freezing up there this time of year, so bundle up big time.

Thoughts on Machu Pichhu? is it really worth it? People love posting pictures of themselves there, but I'm not sold yet on how AMAZING! the place is.

yeah, Williams has that cool train to GC. Want to do that someday.

I love the Sky Ranch Lodge in Sedona. Family-run place: not swanky, but very nice, clean, motel style rooms, many with kitchens, some with fireplaces. It's up above town, on the edge of Airport Mesa (private aircraft, you don't hear them from your room), right next to the scenic viewpoint that everyone and their grandmother frequents to gawk at the astonishing view. Except you get to gawk at the spectacular view from your own windows/balcony. Very reasonably priced.

There are lots of places to hike/bike. Stop at the large forest service visitor center south of town and get info/maps/permits from the staff. They'll direct you to trails that are appropriate for all the levels of interest/physical condition in your family.

As for the Grand Canyon, the vintage steam train that runs directly into the park from Williams is huge fun (but we love trains). They stage a "train robbery", too. They had to stop our train and let the robbers on, though; it was pouring rain and it would've been unsafe to let the horses and riders gallop alongside the train and throw themselves on in the mud and wet.

Except for the trails along the rim to enjoy the views, GC is not hiker friendly for young children. If you ride horses, and if there are any available spots, take a mule ride into the canyon. If you don't ride, don't do it, no matter how fun you think it'll be. Hand on heart. Many hours spent on the back of a giant mule are hours spent in pain.

We stayed at one of the lodges in GC, but we also stayed at a little place in Williams (can't remember the name) and slept in a converted caboose. Williams is a cute little town.
    Last edited by HowToDisappear; 12-10-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Finally, after much debate, my trip to barcelona > cairo/giza and back to europe, is ON. Spending 5 nights in egypt and heading to europe. London for NYE! very very excited. Wanted to throw this out there, if anyone would like to share a special place/experience for the following countries that I'm heading to, i'd love to hear about it. Always looking for things to do/hidden gems, small towns... planning to be in Europe for 2.5 months, so plenty of time!:

Definite: Portugal, Spain, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands.
    Maybe: Greece, Switzerland, Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy1222 View Post
    Finally, after much debate, my trip to barcelona > cairo/giza and back to europe, is ON. Spending 5 nights in egypt and heading to europe. London for NYE! very very excited. Wanted to throw this out there, if anyone would like to share a special place/experience for the following countries that I'm heading to, i'd love to hear about it. Always looking for things to do/hidden gems, small towns... planning to be in Europe for 2.5 months, so plenty of time!:

Definite: Portugal, Spain, England, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands.
    Maybe: Greece, Switzerland, Belgium
    I've been to the middle east but never Egypt. That should be fun.

I've been to all of the EU countries you listed- coming up with something cool to do in each one is no problem. But for some reason, when I looked at your list the first thing I thought was while you are in London you should go here

http://www.chimes-of-pimlico.co.uk/

Traditional meat pies and a couple of different types of hard cider to be had. I love this place. I mean, all the museums, cultural events, etc that I've been to during my visits there... and Chimes in the first damn thing that pops into my head?? Not sure why. Well, it is definitely a hidden gem. Maybe I just need to go make lunch.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 12-16-2012 at 12:55 PM.

So this Carnival party they do in Rio de Janeiro looks pretty interesting. I went ahead and got tickets for it in February. Set me back over $200 just to be able to get standing room in the grandstands. Anyone have personal experience visiting Rio? How many speak English or understand bad Spanish out there?

Sorry Wes I just now saw this.

If you're going to go to Sedona you should also go to Jerome. http://www.azjerome.com/

also that's where Maynard's vinyard
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

is.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Thanks all for the AZ tips. What's so special about Maynard's vinyard and why would a family of four enjoy it?

CUZ HE'S IN TOOL MANNNNNN

Jerome is a cool little town full of ghosts and whores. Kids love it.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

True, let your kids run around outside looking to score some meth or weed off the bikers while you and the lady throw back a few drinks inside the Spirit Room. Jerome is great!

Thanks all for the AZ tips. What's so special about Maynard's vinyard and why would a family of four enjoy it?
    The tasting room is recently built and supposed to be very nice. I have tried the Chupacabra- found it to be ok. Er, but yea... IT'S TOOOOL, MAN!

Just finished packing for my road trip. Hoping it's as beautiful of a drive as i've heard.

12/26 - Tonight - San Francisco
    12/27 and 28 - Thursday/Friday - Portland
    12/29 and 30 - Saturday/Sunday - Vancouver
    12/31 and 1/1 - Monday/Tuesday - Portland

then drive back home. Got a ton of suggestions from friends on facebook, but more are always welcome. See you guys in the new year!!

have fun!!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

So while flying earlier this month, I was forced to gate-check my carry-on luggage due to overhead size constraints on the small commuter jet, and some douchebag flying in first stole my bag because he exited the jet before me and snatched the first black Briggs & Riley roll-aboard he saw without checking to see if it was actually his. He ended up taking my bag all the way from San Francisco to Atlanta before realizing that it contained textbooks and dirty pajamas instead of business suits, and so it took me an additional 48 hours to finally get the bag back.

The odd part of this story is that due to the baggage delay, I filed a claim for Delta to reimburse me for incurred expenses of buying replacement clothing and toiletries, and they decided to pay me for everything except THE ONE BRA I bought. Apparently, Delta hates well-supported breasts.

I'm kinda glad I found this thread. Coming from Australia for Coachella this year, and is the second time I'm coming to the States. Spending time in Minneapolis, New York and San Francisco after weekend 1. Just two things I would love some help with.
    Trying to find a decent but cheaper option for my brief stay in Minneapolis, and who are the airlines to stay clear of? Would prefer to fly with Southwest as they don't charge for baggage, but I know my flight to Minneapolis can't be via them unless I can be at LAX by 5am on the Monday morning after Coachella.
    your help would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by beatz79 View Post
    who are the airlines to stay clear of? Would prefer to fly with Southwest as they don't charge for baggage, but I know my flight to Minneapolis can't be via them unless I can be at LAX by 5am on the Monday morning after Coachella.
    your help would be appreciated!
    I think they're pretty much all the same in terms of service etc. It pretty much depends on what crew you get and what mood they're in.

Baggage fees chart: http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...chart-updated/. LAX-MSP is probably either United or Delta, both of which charge $25 a bag. JetBlue would have been a good alternative for you but they don't fly to MSP.

BTW I think you have a lot more choices of flights on Southwest than you let on.. they have flights all day out of LAX (& even ONT) to MSP. Most have a stop or a change but that seems a small thing.
    Last edited by TomAz; 01-01-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think they're pretty much all the same in terms of service etc. It pretty much depends on what crew you get and what mood they're in.

Baggage fees chart: http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...chart-updated/. LAX-MSP is probably either United or Delta, both of which charge $25 a bag. JetBlue would have been a good alternative for you but they don't fly to MSP.

BTW I think you have a lot more choices of flights on Southwest than you let on.. they have flights all day out of LAX (& even ONT) to MSP. Most have a stop or a change but that seems a small thing.
    thanks. I'm just not used to the connecting flight thing, and also want to be leaving around 9ish, as I just want to leave sometime up the sleeve if anything goes wrong. My plan was to be in Minneapolis by 4, as I would like to see the T-Wolves play that night.

Delta basically owns MSP now that they've merged with Northwest, so I'd suspect Delta will have cheaper fares than most getting in and out of there. Delta runs a decent operation and you shouldn't have a problem although they do charge for bags (as do most).

Stay away from Spirit Airlines. They charge extra for everything, including on board soft drinks.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by beatz79 View Post
    thanks. I'm just not used to the connecting flight thing, and also want to be leaving around 9ish, as I just want to leave sometime up the sleeve if anything goes wrong. My plan was to be in Minneapolis by 4, as I would like to see the T-Wolves play that night.
    I'm seeing a Southwest flight on Monday morning leaving at 9:55 am and putting you in MSP at 4:45pm, with a stop in Denver. You'll have to get off and change planes but that usually isn't much of an issue.

Frontier has something very similar leaving around 10:30am and putting you in MSP around 545pm. Layover in Denver. Frontier is a good regional carrier as well (owned by Alaska Air)
    Last edited by captncrzy; 01-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I was in Barcelona & San Sebastian in July. Going to London for a week in February. Possibly back in Italy again this year too.
    Last edited by wstsidela; 01-01-2013 at 10:51 AM.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"