Page 68 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2548

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

If Southwest is in fact the only one not included, then yea, I've exhausted my resources I guess. As long as all the other smaller carriers (Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier, Virgin, JetBlue, Sun Country) are there, I guess it's not that big of a deal to just do the aggregator + SW.

We're off to the Yucatan on Sat to celebrate my 50th birthday. On the day of, I will be standing atop a Mayan temple in Ek Balam. I feel that's pretty appropriate for the year 2012, don't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Yes, DC (any of the 3) to LAS. I'm surprised on how few direct flights I can find.
    It's partially because the largest carrier at LAS is Southwest, and they don't have many WtoE nonstops.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Does anyone have experience with hostels in the U.S? Should I just go for the cheapest option or should I be more discerning for my safety? Does anyone know a good/cheap hostel in Portland?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Is it too uncouth to not tip the kitty when it's done with me? I'm on a budget
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

great times in New York a couple weeks ago even though it was mostly a repeat of my trip there in March. I took my mom on her first trip there and she had a hip replacement back in April of last year, so getting around was a bit of a challenge, but she still did great and I think she even built up some strength as a result of so much walking and stairs.

I've been in and around Philadelphia/Levitown/New Hope/Bristol since the 17th and having a great time here as well. My current hotel is actually across the river in New Jersey and we drove through Camden today on the way into Philly. wow, what a difference depending on what side of the river you're on. Camden was like going back in time to the late 60s/early 70s except with everything being rundown. I really don't think it's worth the money you'd save by staying in the Cherry Hill/Mt Laurel part of New Jersey when visiting Philly, but live and learn.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned this last time I was in Philly, but if you're ever here take a trip to 2nd and Market and go to my favorite martini bar and restaurant. you won't be disappointed! http://www.continentalmartinibar.com/.

tonight's meal consisted of Lobster Mac & Cheese, Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Cheesesteak Eggrolls, Chicken Dumplings and Ahi Tuna Tartare with Astronaut, Violet Femme, Strawberry Fields and Soupuss sweet martinis to drink.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

I love the Continental. Worth a trip to Philly just to eat there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

exactly! It really is but it has to be the one on 2nd and Market, I've heard the other one in Midtown isn't nearly as good and doesn't have the same charm.

When I was in Philly back in March I arrived on a Monday afternoon and it was nearly 5pm before I was settled into my hotel room. I wanted to walk around the historic district and check out some sights but I didn't realize that most of the attractions were closed on Mondays and was a little disappointed with the lack of anything to do since I was leaving wednesday morning and had a meeting most of the day on tuesday. Then I saw the continental (and the revolution house across the street) and they were pretty much the only things open. we chose the continental without any idea what kind of place it was since it looks like an average diner from the outside. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised and a new tradition was born!
    2012 2013 2014

I'm going to New York City for the first time in less than two weeks. I'll have a Monday to myself to do whatever I want. I really want to go to Rockefeller Plaza, somewhere in Central Park, and Ground Zero. Anything else will be gravy. I am leaning toward buying a ticket to the Wizards/Nets preseason game, which starts at 7:30. My flight doesn't leave until around 4:30 the next day, so I probably have time to do something the next morning. I guess I have a few questions for people who are familiar with visiting the city:

1) Will I have time to see all three of those areas (and possibly more) in one day if I start in the morning?

2) What's the best way to get around? I heard a Metro card is a good idea.

3) Do you have any food recommendations? I'll try pretty much anything.

4) Any other general recommendations?

I suppose I could privately ask the people I know who live in the city, and probably will at some point, but I'm interested in reading other thoughts.

Where in the city will you be staying? And yes you can very easily see all three of those places in one afternoon with plenty of time for other adventures.

The subway is quick & cheap, but if money isn't an issue traveling by cab is the best way to get around the city if you want to see as much as you can.

I'm staying in the Midtown East area, it looks like. East 51st St between 2nd and 3rd Ave. According to Mapquest, it's not far from everything. I'll probably buy a Metro card, and use cabs if I feel I really need to.

You'll be right near the 21 Club which is an old speakeasy that is still open and of course Carnegie Deli is on 7th avenue near there.

Good to know about Carnegie Deli. Thanks, albunz.

I think Katz is a better deli though, and it's been in more movies.

Katz is good. Check out the hidden Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien hotel (119 West 56th Street). Walk the high line if the weather is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I'm staying in the Midtown East area, it looks like. East 51st St between 2nd and 3rd Ave. According to Mapquest, it's not far from everything. I'll probably buy a Metro card, and use cabs if I feel I really need to.
    If you want to see all the sights and don't mind looking touristy I liked the hop on hop off buses. They cover every area and you can catch them anywhere. The 2 and 3 day passes were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I was just in new york

be sure to get your free tickets to the 9/11 memorial online and pick a time to show up. it sucks to get down there and find out that you can't get in and have to wait for extra passes to show up.

1. you shouldn't have a problem seeing all of that

2. definitely get a metro card. the hop on hop off buses are nice, but if you're on limited time, the subways will get you around much quicker - plus they are a bit of an attraction in and of themselves and something that should be experienced. if you have time, taking one of the hop on bus tours is a nice way to see the city.

3. I'll second katz and also suggest the Heartland Brewery. there are at least 3 that I know of, one is at the Empire State Building and the other 2 are in times square and next to Radio City. "Good Stuff" Diner is also delicious and I recommend going there for dinner and having the surf and turf. it's down in the west village but subway close. and seriously, get some street food. it wouldn't be a trip to New York if you didn't have some walking food. either get a sandwich or a slice of pizza while you're walking, you'll fit right in!! I always make it a point to get a gyro sandwich with extra spicy sauce whenever I'm there.

4. if you have the time, take the Harbor Cruise. the half circle cruise is only $20 and it has some really nice views of the city from the Hudson River and East River and includes a trip around the Ellis Island and the Statue Of Liberty areas.

I would skip the sporting event unless one of those teams are one of your favorites. you can get a tour of Madison Square Garden if you want to say you've been there, but sports are pretty well universal and nothing special to New York.

if you travel by cab, make sure you get a yellow cab. the town cars tend to be scammers and you'll wind up paying $20 to go a few blocks.
    2012 2013 2014

The walk from where you are staying to Rockefeller Plaza would be about 3/4 of a mile. From Rockefeller Plaza Central park is about a half a mile North. You can take the subway or buses for these trips but it will take you just as long. If you go further the subway is a great option.

Ground Zero might be more difficult to visit, the 9/11 Memorial Museum does not seem to have any availability for that Monday.

As for food consider DaFonte's Sandwich shop, which lived up to this

Also (no videos, sorry) Wechsler's Currywurst & Bratwurst or Empanada Mama. None of these are particularly close to where you're looking but they're great.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Great tips, everyone. Especially the food. Looks like I'll be missing out out the 9/11 Memorial. Bummer. The only one available that Tuesday is 1:00, which is cutting it too close to my flight.

Beth, I'm a big-time NBA fan. Maybe more of an NBA fan than you are an NHL fan. If that's even possible. =) And I think this might be the first game, even though it's only preseason, at the Nets new arena. It's pretty high priority for me to go, even though neither the Wizards nor the Nets are my favorite team.

3) Do you have any food recommendations? I'll try pretty much anything.
    It's a little pricey but if you can fit it in your budget this place is a freak show head trip of time travel.

http://www.keens.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Hey Tommy, we can do that Harbor Cruise thing on Saturday morning if you want. I want to go to Ellis Island anyway and see if I can find some records, and Rick's never been to the Statue of Liberty. And while we're down there, we can swing by the memorial and see if there are extra passes.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 10-01-2012 at 07:49 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Hey Tommy, we can do that Harbor Cruise thing on Saturday morning if you want. I want to go to Ellis Island anyway and see if I can find some records, and Rick's never been to the Statue of Liberty. And while we're down there, we can swing by the memorial and see if there are extra passes.
    Yes, let's do it. I'd like to go to the Statue of Liberty, as well.

Wooooo ROAD TRIP. Sorta.

Great tips, everyone. Especially the food. Looks like I'll be missing out out the 9/11 Memorial. Bummer. The only one available that Tuesday is 1:00, which is cutting it too close to my flight.
    it might be worth it to get the 1pm passes and show up early. I had passes for 3:30 pm and showed up at noon and they let me in. they really don't look at the times unless it's really busy.

Beth, I'm a big-time NBA fan. Maybe more of an NBA fan than you are an NHL fan. If that's even possible. =) And I think this might be the first game, even though it's only preseason, at the Nets new arena. It's pretty high priority for me to go, even though neither the Wizards nor the Nets are my favorite team.
    In that case, it seems like a great way to spend an evening

keep in mind that the harbor cruise won't actually drop you off at Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty, it just goes really close to it to get a good view. with the Statue being closed for renovations it made more sense to me, but if looking up records is something you'd want to do, I think you'd have to take the Ferry over to Ellis Island.
    2012 2013 2014

The Statue Cruises website suggests that you plan for 5.5 hours to visit Liberty Island, Ellis Island and return to NYC, though it depends on how the lines are and what you want to see. The earliest reservation you can make is for 9 am; purchasing that ticket gets you priority access to the security line (to get into the queue to wait for the next ferry).

The National Park's Ellis Island website has a list of things you can do on Ellis Island, as well as suggestions depending on the amount of time you wish to spend there. You can also search records online, what you find there might help you know exactly what to look for when you are on Ellis Island.

I had some family looking into this that ended up surprised by how long it would take.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 10-01-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: more
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Jesus!

Well, there is only one record I want to look for, and I have a lot of information already (the ship, the date, his name, etc.) so I hope it won't take too long. And they aren't letting people inside the statue, so it won't take as long as it usually would for that anyway.

so today I decided to stuff my face and try an authentic cheesesteak from Geno's and Pat's (and the unexpected South Philly Bar & Grill which my mom mistook for Pat's and ordered while I found a spot, lol)

The results are in. in first place, the clear number one.... *drumroll*

Geno's (and it's not even close!!) the soft bread with the cheez whiz on both sides of bread and thinly sliced cheese steak in between makes a great sandwich that explodes with cheezy flavor!!

in second place, barely edging out the 3rd place contender, South Philly Bar & Grill. not originally in the competition, but my mom got a little confused and saw "philly" and figured that was Pat's. turned out to be a pleasant surprise though! it also has the soft bread, but the chopped cheesesteak is mixed in with the cheez whiz and gives you a good bite every time. the main reason it edged out Pat's is because of the homemade potato chips.

in 3rd place, but still the best cheesesteak I've had prior to today is Pat's. it might be the original, and it has a cool building, but the bread is a little tough and they put the steak down first and then top it with cheese meaning that you don't get enough of that cheez whiz taste in every bite.
    2012 2013 2014

How long in advance do you have to reserve a ticket for Ground Zero? And how crowded is it?

I haven't been despite having been back to the city a few times since 9/11. I need to go and am hoping to plan a trip to NYC for the spring. It kind of bothers me that I have to "get a ticket."

It depends, they are first come, first serve. usually you can get the next day and sometimes you can get the same day. right now it's wide open: http://visit.911memorial.org/WebStor...=WSCG&C=TKTCAT

the ticket process is just a formality and it's mostly to keep the foot traffic down during all the construction. when it's complete you won't need tickets,
    2012 2013 2014