Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 5758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2487

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Check you bags into a locker at the AP or train station. Rent a bike and explore on your own. It's pretty easy to find the Van Gogh museum and whatever else you like if you pre plan a little. Advantage not being herded around with other tourists.

This is great advice. 4 hours in Amsterdam will go by very fast. I'd keep it simple. Rent a bike, hit a coffee shop, go to the Van Gogh Museum, and then depending on how much time you have cruise the red light district and get a comfy snack.

If you are experienced with pot, I'd recommend splitting a space cake with a friend before you get on the plane.

But that's just me. Others would think that's terrible advice. in my world . . . Flying high while high sounds awesome.
    Last edited by algunz; 07-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.

will consider, thanks, and also consider this. A broodje pom: chicken and baked malanga mashed into a Dutch bread roll with zuur tangy spicy pickled cabbage onion relish and pepper hot pepper sauce. Three euro.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    Check you bags into a locker at the AP or train station. Rent a bike and explore on your own. It's pretty easy to find the Van Gogh museum and whatever else you like if you pre plan a little. Advantage not being herded around with other tourists.
    don't need to worry about bags as it's a KLM layover onto Cairo. Already pllaned out the route (Leidseplein or Weteringchans tram from Central Station). Been having these people do a bit of legwork for actually: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#42211519

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    space cake
    god, I know, I feel I must. Almost like a first timer Amsterdam mandatory initiation or something. Probably should just do it right when I get there, first thing in the morning instead of chancing being a chancer at the airport. Breakfast.

Shit, it depends. You really don't know what you're going to get. They are intense. Personally, I'd rather roll around the city on a comfy, controlled high (remember you are in a foreign city) and then just sink into the uber high on the plane.

Are you afraid of flying . . AT ALL? The next flight has to be quite a few hours. You can bring the cake to the airport, just not in. We smoked 3 joints between 2 of us standing right next to security outside the airport. Of course this was '94, so things might be different.

Uber high looking at Van Gogh sounds kinda crazy though. Madness on madness. Negative on fear of flying, but it isn't an enjoyable experience either. Sux you can't just bring an entire cake onto the plane through airport check point ("My grandmother's birthday").

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    ^ www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com

*edit: You'll get a more social crowd on Mike's bike tour and you'll see a good part of the city. Being above the canals and on the bridges is just as nice as being on the water + you get more freedom. Most of Mike's guides are great, but every once in awhile you'll get one who just wants to jerk around and / or party.
    Endorsed. The best introduction to a flat European city is on bikes. Especially hamsterdam. the city has so much to offer besides just weed and hookers. On foot is nice but you'll see more on a bike.

The van gogh museum is fabulous fabulous, but if you can't get your ticket in advance, expect a long line.

14 hrs is too short, but if you had a few days i'd recommend you go out to the polders.

edit: also the anne frank house highly recommended, but expect a seriously long line. like over an hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

In two weeks, I'm going to Nashville and New Orleans. I'll be in Nashville for 2 days, New Orleans for 4. We're doing the Opry in Nashville, and both a plantation tour and a swamp tour outside of New Orleans. What else would people recommend? I've never been to the area in general and don't really know what to expect, but I'm pretty excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Be prepared for some truly awful weather
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    don't need to worry about bags as it's a KLM layover onto Cairo. Already pllaned out the route (Leidseplein or Weteringchans tram from Central Station). Been having these people do a bit of legwork for actually: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic....html#42211519
    Give yourself some extra time for getting lost especially if you are going to partake in space cake or other while exploring. The city streets are confusing and the Dutch street names are really hard to figure out/find. I got hopelessly lost and for 45 min kept returning to the same centre but from different directions. However, getting lost in that city is a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    In two weeks, I'm going to Nashville and New Orleans. I'll be in Nashville for 2 days, New Orleans for 4. We're doing the Opry in Nashville, and both a plantation tour and a swamp tour outside of New Orleans. What else would people recommend? I've never been to the area in general and don't really know what to expect, but I'm pretty excited.
    Make sure to check out the inside of the hotel in addition to the Opry House. I would recommend one of the trolly tours around town. They don't take up too much time and it's a quick way to see the city and all the record industry buildings. You can then go back and explore specific areas is you wish. The Parthenon replication is cool and the park it's in is a really nice place to spend the day doing park stuff. Downtown Nashville has some historic bars to check out at night, but it's all kind of touristy. If you want to get away from the tourists go to East Nashville. Me and my ex met a lot of cool people at 3 Crow last time we visited, but there are a few more bars in that area that are also cool. The poster shop downtown was cool to check out although I didn't find anything there worth purchasing. I think we went to a flea market there, but it was your typical Mexican flea market. Nothing special. Midtown Nashville near Vanderbilt also has more bars and a cool venue called Exit In. There's some interesting venues in Nashville so you might want to check Pollstar to see what shows are in town.

Loveless Cafe is another popular spot about 15 minutes south of Nashville. It's a southern cooking restaurant known for moist biscuits. The food is really good, but the wait was over an hour and really not worth it. It's a huge tourist stop. I believe the shitty hamburger spot responsible for the song cheeseburger in paradise is also in Nashville. Google it if you're interested.

We also did the Andrew Jackson plantation, the Hermitage. It was really cool since it combined a plantation tour with a presidential home tour + gravesite. They were doing some construction on the site so not everything was open, but that was probably 2 years ago.

I can give suggestions for NO if nobody else does. Snake and Jakes Christmas lounge is a cool non-Bourbon St. spot.
    Last edited by Timestretch; 07-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.

In New Orleans see if you can have a meal at Antoine's, and if you do, be sure to take a few minutes to explore around the restaurant, especially the side private dining rooms. It's like your own private time machine.

Also see if you can have a meal at Mr B's, which has some of the best food I've ever had ever. Be sure to get the shrimp and grits.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Be prepared for the fact that Bourbon street smells like a street actually made out of bourbon. And piss, vomit, and oysters.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Endorsed. The best introduction to a flat European city is on bikes.

14 hrs is too short, but if you had a few days i'd recommend you go out to the polders.

edit: also the anne frank house highly recommended, but expect a seriously long line. like over an hour.
    Damn, I really need to work on my math skills.

In New Orleans see if you can have a meal at Antoine's, and if you do, be sure to take a few minutes to explore around the restaurant, especially the side private dining rooms. It's like your own private time machine.

Also see if you can have a meal at Mr B's, which has some of the best food I've ever had ever. Be sure to get the shrimp and grits.
    I'd also recommend a Ferdi or Ralph (a Ferdi with cheese) at Mother's on Poydras. Amazing po-boys. And if you like oysters at all, the char-grilled oysters at Acme Oyster House are incredible. Also, there is a club called Blue Nile on Frenchman Street (just outside the Quarter) that has had a good local act playing music every time I've been there. Haven't been there in a while, though.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a flight. Phoenix to Budapest round trip $827 December 20th to January 2nd. Time will be spent in Budapest, Vienna (fell in love with the place last year) and maybe 2 days in Bratislava. Very early planning stages at this point. I think the flight is a solid price, it's on British Airways though i love a spectacular deal so i'm debating waiting to see if it drops another $100 or so.

I've just started my research on Budapest. I hear ice skating should be done at some park behind hosok tere, an authentic turkish bath and to drink palinka.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Damn, that's a pretty damn good price. Do you really think it'll drop that much?
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

It's iffy. I flew round trip to Zurich, Switzerland last year (used it as a launch point to get to Vienna and from there Barcelona) and the deal was amazing. $545. All the prices i'm giving include the taxes and fees btw. Last year I found a bunch of amazing deals but this year has not been as fruitful. I flew RT PHX to Chicago for $160 and round trip Phoenix to Philly (ATP) was only $140.

Based on what i've seen this year (I'm constantly looking, like every couple of days year round) I think I might pull the trigger on this as early as today. It's all a gamble. British Airways seems to have pretty good sale going on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a flight. Phoenix to Budapest round trip $827 December 20th to January 2nd. Time will be spent in Budapest, Vienna (fell in love with the place last year) and maybe 2 days in Bratislava. Very early planning stages at this point. I think the flight is a solid price, it's on British Airways though i love a spectacular deal so i'm debating waiting to see if it drops another $100 or so.

I've just started my research on Budapest. I hear ice skating should be done at some park behind hosok tere, an authentic turkish bath and to drink palinka.
    Have you been to Prague? I would choose Prague over Budapest, myself. I've been to Budapest, it was interesting and nice and all, but I'm in no hurry to go back. Prague, on the other hand, I would go back to in a heartbeat.

I have been to Prague and I loved it very much. The people were a bit cold and communication was a challenge at times but it is my second favorite city next to Vienna. I hear communication can be difficult in Budapest as well but you can pretty much walk everywhere.

The van gogh museum is fabulous fabulous, but if you can't get your ticket in advance, expect a long line.
    yep, researched that. Advanced "anytime" tickets on their website fourteen euros. Everything in the city appears to be fourteen euros.

NOt doing Anne Frank unless she floats down from heaven and beckons me. Read the book long ago and it was so visual that there is no need.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I have been to Prague and I loved it very much. The people were a bit cold and communication was a challenge at times but it is my second favorite city next to Vienna. I hear communication can be difficult in Budapest as well but you can pretty much walk everywhere.
    yeah, it was a little tough when i was in budapest several years ago.

I am planning another trip to the beach with one of my girlfriends. I have only stayed in Redondo Beach, Mission Beach, Ocean Beach and I have spent time at Venice Beach. I kind of want to explore a new beach though, any recommendations of your favorite beaches would be appreciated. I am probably going to try to stay north of San Diego since I learned you can't drink on the beach there. I would like some good local dive bars and good restaurants, reasonably priced would be cool, so the place I passed through with 2 mazzarati (sp?) dealerships is probably out and preferably away from any of the amusement park areas because I like to avoid a ton of kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Laguna Beach is my favorite beach community in the OC, but it's expensive. Newport/Corona del Mar is beautiful, but unless you're renting a house it's not very pedestrian/touristy. Huntington is very pedestrian and has some nice hotels right on the beach, but it attracts all the 909ers.

I'm not that familiar with anything that much further north or south, but Seal Beach is pretty and the areas south like Dana Point/San Clemente/Solana etc are all worth looking into also.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I am probably going to try to stay north of San Diego since I learned you can't drink on the beach there.
    isn't alcohol banned at all beaches?

and i concur with gunz, you gotta check out laguna. and if you do, go and eat at taco loco for lunch, mmm! for a great dinner place check out alessa on forest right in downtown, italian food, chef/owner from naples, italy. prices are great for the quality of food you get.

http://www.cucinaalessa.com/about.html
    Last edited by JustSteve; 07-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Is it? I didn't know that, I thought Ally told me it was just San Diego. Not that we didn't sneak some wine for our bbq, but I prefer not to have to sneak. In Oregon you could bring ice chests filled with beer to the beach as far as I remember.

pretty sure it's banned on all california beaches. of course, in laguna there are a ton of little beaches down below the bluffs where there probably wouldn't really be anyone checking

OK, I checked out the hotels in Laguna and they start at $200/night, which is a little out of our price range. I did really like that area when we drove through last month though. I am going to do some research and see what I can find, it looks like San Clemente is closer to our price range but within driving distance of Laguna Beach and several others. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Laguna Beach is my favorite beach community in the OC, but it's expensive. Newport/Corona del Mar is beautiful, but unless you're renting a house it's not very pedestrian/touristy. Huntington is very pedestrian and has some nice hotels right on the beach, but it attracts all the 909ers.

I'm not that familiar with anything that much further north or south, but Seal Beach is pretty and the areas south like Dana Point/San Clemente/Solana etc are all worth looking into also.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    isn't alcohol banned at all beaches?

and i concur with gunz, you gotta check out laguna. and if you do, go and eat at taco loco for lunch, mmm! for a great dinner place check out alessa on forest right in downtown, italian food, chef/owner from naples, italy. prices are great for the quality of food you get.

http://www.cucinaalessa.com/about.html
    Wonderful place to visit, if work didn't keep me in LA I would still live in Laguna.

Taco Loco is amazing, Gina's Pizza is wonderful if you have a pizza craving (fuck Dominoes), as a note for which beaches to go to: South Laguna has some beautiful beaches + tide pools (Moss/Pearl st beach) The water is crystal blue and isn't occupied by patrols/tourist. I went about a week ago there and there was no one there. You can easily have a drink in a tumbler or some sort of thermos, unless you're doing beer, in that case, just use cans to avoid any glass on the beach.

Oh and the bar scene: There are all types of folks in Laguna. Sandpiper is a bit on the south side, a well known dive, I haven't been the Royal Hawaiian since the remodel, but they had a rum based drink there (lapu lapu?) 2 of those will be good enough for the whole night of drinking - saves you money, great to have one of these before stopping by Ocean St (most of the bars are there).
    Last edited by Mugwog; 07-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.