Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 5051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2548

Thread: The Travel Thread

Default Re: The Travel Thread

Has anyone been to Iceland? We are looking into an October trip, and probably one that would not include the Iceland Airwaves Festival.

It will probably be cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Joel (roommate) is going to Iceland for Airwaves this year.

It's no Iceland, but the Kid-tineraries are all set for first family road trip up North.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Has anyone been to Iceland? We are looking into an October trip, and probably one that would not include the Iceland Airwaves Festival.

It will probably be cold.

Yeah I have been to Iceland. October probably isn't a great month to go-daylight will be down to a few hours. The temperature will be pretty stable around that time, there isn't much daylight so temperatures will be around freezing. Amazing country to visit with vast landscapes, but you won't be outside Reykjavik much. Everything is comparatively expensive.
    It will be an adventure, but you need to adjust to the idea that it will be almost night all the time. I lived in Finland for two years and I never adjusted to that.

Now we might not do Spain. We may do Bestival instead. But if we do Spain, we'll do Madrid instead of Barcelona.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I have just recently started using TripIt. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Tripit is genius. I would invest it that company if I could. I have been using it for my Thailand scheduling.

insert bugonyourlip ladyboy joke here.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Oh wow this is fantastic.

I was skeptical when I first used TripIt, but I really do appreciate it now.

It's cool but is giving access to your inbox safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Anyone been to Barbados? One of my friends is going to be there for 3 weeks and told me I should come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    It's cool but is giving access to your inbox safe?
    I don't give access to my inbox.

Just out of interest, what do people get out of Tripit? Is planning a trip that hard?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

It's not the planning that it helps with, it just makes organization easier. Tripit does for me stuff I used to do by hand -- getting all the itinerary info in one place. Flights, car, hotel, driving directions, etc. Plus then it can feed the flight stuff to FlightTracker, which I also used to load manually.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Anyone been to Barbados? One of my friends is going to be there for 3 weeks and told me I should come down.
    Was there last year. It's great and all but 3 weeks seems a long time, I would consider moving around some of the islands.

My friend is gonna be there 3 weeks, I would probably just go down for 1 or 2 of those. Any suggestions on stuff to do, where to go?
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 02-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by vulcandeathgrip View Post
    Was there last year. It's great and all but 3 weeks seems a long time, I would consider moving around some of the islands.

I did a week there 5 years ago. I'd agree 3 weeks seems a long time unless you like routines of all-inclusive/beach vacations. If you like the beach and drinking most of the day then its a winner. Personally a week was enough, but I don't like beach/resort vacations.
    My favorite excursion was Harrison's Cave. They do a pretty good 3-4 hour tour.

My friend is gonna be there 3 weeks, I would probably just go down for 1 or 2 of those. Any suggestions on stuff to do, where to go?
    It kind of depends on what you like to do (obviously) If you really like just relaxing at beautiful beaches for days on end ( which I personally am well equipped to do ) then there are worse places to do it.

We did some very cool things on Barbados & some of the other islands - little submarine trips, parasailing, ziplining through the jungle canopy, ATV tours, - there are all sorts of cool things to waste the days away. We found the local adventure operators to be largely amazing hosts & very professional.

You could always just drink rum, listen to steel drum reggae and remind yourself over & over that you are in the Caribbean - how long you can do this for is really up to you.

old school

I am going to New York for the first time in early May! My family and I are going for the Five Boroughs bike ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food places? I have a big thing for Anthony Bourdain and he has shown a bunch of neat restaurants in New York. I would love to experience really high end cheeses, and sadly I am vegetarian so I can't go to any neat steakhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Now we might not do Spain. We may do Bestival instead. But if we do Spain, we'll do Madrid instead of Barcelona.
    Jen,

what the hell is wrong with your operations people at PHX? I mean were they dropped on their heads as children? There is no legitimate reason why an arriving flight should have to sit on the tarmac for 35 minutes waiting for a gate to open. Not on a sunny Saturday morning. Not one single possible legitimate excuse. Just bufoonery and incompetence. Do those people not have any professional pride?

Trying to be helpful,

Tom

Jen,

what the hell is wrong with your operations people at PHX? I mean were they dropped on their heads as children? There is no legitimate reason why an arriving flight should have to sit on the tarmac for 35 minutes waiting for a gate to open. Not on a sunny Saturday morning. Not one single possible legitimate excuse. Just bufoonery and incompetence. Do those people not have any professional pride?

Trying to be helpful,

Tom

Never go to Paris. Charles De Gaulle is hands down the shittiest airport I've ever been in.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtram View Post
    if you can't pull off getting drugs into a festival and consuming them, you don't deserve them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Wait. You like Cudi but you think Outkast is a one hit wonder.

Somebody shoot this fuck.

Charlie? yes.

Definitely do Oistin's Friday Night Fish Fry. Snorkel or scuba dive if you get the chance. Soup Bowl is cool. Mount gay rum tour.
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 02-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoSetsfire View Post
    Charles De Gaulle is hands down the shittiest airport I've ever been in.
    Yes, this is a true fact, except Orly is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I am going to New York for the first time in early May! My family and I are going for the Five Boroughs bike ride. Does anyone have any recommendations for good food places? I have a big thing for Anthony Bourdain and he has shown a bunch of neat restaurants in New York. I would love to experience really high end cheeses, and sadly I am vegetarian so I can't go to any neat steakhouses.
    wd~50 and Vegetarian Paradise 2

I just got back from trip hell. First my luggage got lost at ORD. Then they didn't deliver it within the specified time frame. Then on my return flight the checkin line at the airport was 90+ minutes long and I missed my flight. And it was the last flight of the day so I ended up having to extend my travel by a day. And then a flight attendant spilled coffee all over my lap.

I swear. This shit isn't even funny anymore.

Our group was going to do a drive from Regina, Saskatchewan, down through Montana, Idaho and Arizona. Stop in Las Vegas, and finally down to Indio.. but money's looking a little bit too tight. So, I think we're just going to fly to Las Vegas or Los Angeles, rent a car and drive to Indio from there. Not a huge loss for me as I'm quite well travelled and have been to Vegas and Los Angeles a few times now. But my buddy who is joining me for Coachella has never left Canada, so unfortunately she will be missing out on a lot of sightseeing.
    Friday
    Modest Mouse, Passion Pit, Of Monsters and Men, Earl Sweatshirt, Aesop Rock, The Neighborhood

Saturday

The XX, Phoenix, Grizzly Bear, Violent Femmes, Two Door Cinema Club

Sunday

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Grimes, Unicorn Kid, Wu-Tang Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    A really good cheese store is Murray's which is on Bleecker St between West Village and Greenwhich village. YELP LINK <-link

Another recommendation would be Num Pang near Union Sq which is a Cambodian Sandwich shop. It isn't fine dining but really tasty for the price. Great for lunch. They have vegetarian options. YELP LINK <-link

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I just got back from trip hell. First my luggage got lost at ORD. Then they didn't deliver it within the specified time frame. Then on my return flight the checkin line at the airport was 90+ minutes long and I missed my flight. And it was the last flight of the day so I ended up having to extend my travel by a day. And then a flight attendant spilled coffee all over my lap.

I swear. This shit isn't even funny anymore.
    oh man that sucks. sorry Courtney.

Jen,

Trying to be helpful,

Tom
    Depends. Were all the gates full? Or was there no one to meet the gate?

Sometimes a gate is occupied when it shouldn't be because the FAA has a gate-sitting plane on a delay so they are required to sit because of ground traffic. Or it could be that the pilots discovered something in the pre-flight check that is preventing them from leaving. And the arriving plane can't pull into what seems to be an empty gate because a) it's reserved for another arriving flight and/or b) there isn't the right kind of equipment to receive that particular kind of aircraft.

If the plane sat on the tarmac because there was no one available to receive the flight, that's probably scheduling's fault.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths