Page 8 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 2554

Thread: The Travel Thread

  1. #211
    old school whynotsmile99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    LA, but I miss Ventura
    Posts
    5,304

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    i imagine 20-30k would go quick in Europe. Asia or South American would be a far better bet for serious long term stay. You would live very comfortably for a good amount of time with 20k no doubt.

    Between being work at slow, and me still living at home and currently reading "Into the Wild" I'm about ready to jump on the next plane somewhere far.

    I met an Expat in Laos who was a pro poker player in Europe, saved up a few grand and has been living in South East Asia for the last few years, not doing much of anything but traveling around.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

  2. #212
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,739

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Eastern Europe is pretty affordable (or was -- I haven't run the numbers lately). When it comes down to it, being that I live in SF, most of Europe would be cheaper for me. Mostly because I wouldn't try to keep up the standard of living I have here.

    Mark, I had a few moments of "I'm rich!" while I took the check to the bank but did not have the balls to take off with the money. That being said, my grandmother died a few years ago and left me a small bit of money; not wanting to make the same mistake twice, I did blow that on a long vacation.

  3. #213
    old school orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,989

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    you could live very comfortably in south america with 10k a year. brazil would probably cost some more though. last time i backpacked south america i met a girl from seattle who was living in buenos aires. she had quit her job and moved right away over there.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Tom, Andalucia is my favorite of the places I've visited so far, so it's definitely on the list and hopefully we'll be spending about two weeks in Spain, focused on Andalucia, Costa del Sol and Barcelona. I've never been to Italy at all so that is the part I'm most excited about.
    sevilla is my favorite city in spain, barcelona being second. that trip looks great; andalucia has a beautiful history.

    just got back from hawaii last week. i never thought i'd miss the roosters so much.

  4. #214

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    In October I will be catching Depeche Mode in Buenos Aries. Will be there for 10 days then going to Uruguay for 3 days. Any recommendations?

  5. #215
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,506

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Just got back last night. Prior to getting home I only slept for about 3 hours total in the last 48 hours. Just slept for 12 hours and am still tired. Had a nightmare of a time comming home... however none of that matter. I had an incredible trip. I have almost a 1000 pictures to go through. I am considering either doing a short write up on the trip and posting a few pictures here, or doing a giant ass write full of details and more pics and making a thread out of it. Not sure. I don't want to annoy people by creating a new thread, but I feel inspired to do a detailed write up on this trip.

    Ayways, long story short.

    I thoroughly enjoyed London. Chris was a more than gracious host. Meeting Stef was great too. I enjoyed both the touristy and non touristy bits of London. The Specials were great, however the crowd for the most part sucked so that was a downer. Also, V Fest as a festival was awful.

    I enjoyed Paris much more than I thought I would. The touristy areas suck and are uncomfortable, but the rest of Paris was fantastic.

    Rock En Seine was awesome. The festival itself was pretty great, not amazing, but a well put on festival. Faith No More were incredible. They didn't let me down one bit. Madness were absolutely mad. It was one of the most fun shows I have ever seen in my entire life. It was everything I had hoped for and wanted. I went to a "mystery band" who were billed as "Les Petit Pois" (The Little Peas), because of a hunch and I was right. It turned out to be Them Crooked Vultures and they kicked so much ass it was rediculous. I cannot wait for the album. Also The Prodigy in Europe was an experience of its own. People go NUTS for them over there. So that was a blast.

    Marseille was, well, hard to explain. I stayed in a hostel just outside of Marseille and throughly enjoyed my time there. It was mostly full of german backpacker and they were all awesome. I spent a lot of time with them. The city of Marseille I didn't actually enjoy that much... but the areas just outside of Marseille were incredible. Les Calanques, Casis, Isle du Frioul... all incredible. Marseille, not so much. So besides Marseille, I had an incredible time in Marseille.

    Thats all for now. It feels weird to be back.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  6. #216
    man-homie obzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cacapoopoopeepeeshire
    Posts
    16,021

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Stef who?
    So did you get any pics of the FNM set?

  7. #217
    Entry level Alt kitt kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    6,081

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Leaving in the morning for Boston/NY for ATP.

    I have the day to myself in Boston on Wednesday and not sure what to do. Hmmm.

  8. #218
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,875

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Just got back last night. Prior to getting home I only slept for about 3 hours total in the last 48 hours. Just slept for 12 hours and am still tired. Had a nightmare of a time comming home... however none of that matter. I had an incredible trip. I have almost a 1000 pictures to go through. I am considering either doing a short write up on the trip and posting a few pictures here, or doing a giant ass write full of details and more pics and making a thread out of it. Not sure. I don't want to annoy people by creating a new thread, but I feel inspired to do a detailed write up on this trip.

    Ayways, long story short.

    I thoroughly enjoyed London. Chris was a more than gracious host. Meeting Stef was great too. I enjoyed both the touristy and non touristy bits of London. The Specials were great, however the crowd for the most part sucked so that was a downer. Also, V Fest as a festival was awful.

    I enjoyed Paris much more than I thought I would. The touristy areas suck and are uncomfortable, but the rest of Paris was fantastic.

    Rock En Seine was awesome. The festival itself was pretty great, not amazing, but a well put on festival. Faith No More were incredible. They didn't let me down one bit. Madness were absolutely mad. It was one of the most fun shows I have ever seen in my entire life. It was everything I had hoped for and wanted. I went to a "mystery band" who were billed as "Les Petit Pois" (The Little Peas), because of a hunch and I was right. It turned out to be Them Crooked Vultures and they kicked so much ass it was rediculous. I cannot wait for the album. Also The Prodigy in Europe was an experience of its own. People go NUTS for them over there. So that was a blast.

    Marseille was, well, hard to explain. I stayed in a hostel just outside of Marseille and throughly enjoyed my time there. It was mostly full of german backpacker and they were all awesome. I spent a lot of time with them. The city of Marseille I didn't actually enjoy that much... but the areas just outside of Marseille were incredible. Les Calanques, Casis, Isle du Frioul... all incredible. Marseille, not so much. So besides Marseille, I had an incredible time in Marseille.

    Thats all for now. It feels weird to be back.
    I'm excited for London. I just booked our rail tickets. I thought Stef was in San Diego? Chris is Sonofhal, correct? Also, glad you made it back.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 09-07-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  9. #219

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Just got back last night. Prior to getting home I only slept for about 3 hours total in the last 48 hours. Just slept for 12 hours and am still tired. Had a nightmare of a time comming home... however none of that matter. I had an incredible trip. I have almost a 1000 pictures to go through. I am considering either doing a short write up on the trip and posting a few pictures here, or doing a giant ass write full of details and more pics and making a thread out of it. Not sure. I don't want to annoy people by creating a new thread, but I feel inspired to do a detailed write up on this trip.
    .

    Definitely create a new thread. But it has to be on the level of Brandon's Goes To Bonnaroo, Sees Texas

  10. #220
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,506

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Stef who?
    So did you get any pics of the FNM set?
    Stefinately Maybe

    Yes. Only a few though.

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I'm excited for London. I just booked our rail tickets. I thought Stef was in San Diego? Chris is Sonofhal, correct? Also, glad you made it back.
    Stef moved the day after. He met up with Chris and I in Camden town.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    Definitely create a new thread. But it has to be on the level of Brandon's Goes To Bonnaroo, Sees Texas
    If I do the write up, I certainly won't half-ass it. Im still working on pictures right now, there are a lot of them.

    Also, I just realized I fail at taking pictures. There isn't a single picture with me and Chris, nor Stef.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  11. #221
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,739

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Do create a new thread. I want to hear all about Rock en Seine.

  12. #222
    Entry level Alt kitt kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    6,081

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    oh, I loved Camden when I stayed in London. I'm itching to go back ASAP. The UK is pretty much the most amazing place I've ever been. (Yes, including over Paris.)

  13. #223
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,892

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    wb josh.

    also, 'told you so' re: Marseilles. did you make it to Aix? i love Aix
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  14. #224
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,506

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    oh, I loved Camden when I stayed in London. I'm itching to go back ASAP. The UK is pretty much the most amazing place I've ever been. (Yes, including over Paris.)
    Camden was great. I was only there for a couple hours though. I meant to make it back before left, but that didn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    wb josh.

    also, 'told you so' re: Marseilles. did you make it to Aix? i love Aix
    You did tell me so. You were very right.

    However, I am very glad I went there. Like I said, all the areas around Marseille were fantastic. Its just the city itself. And no, I did not make it out to Aix. I tried to fit in as much in this trip as possible without overwhelming myself. I will make it back to France again one day as there are many places there I still need to visit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  15. #225
    Coachella Junkie sonofhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,967

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Also, I just realized I fail at taking pictures. There isn't a single picture with me and Chris, nor Stef.
    Photoshop!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

  16. #226
    Coachella Junkie sonofhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,967

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Also, welcome back.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

  17. #227
    Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,350

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    oh, I loved Camden when I stayed in London. I'm itching to go back ASAP. The UK is pretty much the most amazing place I've ever been. (Yes, including over Paris.)
    Completely agree.

    Josh, it feels weird to be back, yeah? It took me about four days to get over the time difference and adjust to the states again.

  18. #228
    Coachella Junkie sonofhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    8,967

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I never have trouble with the time difference when heading over to the US, but it always kills me coming back this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

  19. #229
    Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,350

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Ha, I had the opposite experience. But I did stay up for about two days partying it up before traveling back. That had to have played a significant role.

  20. #230
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,892

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    I never have trouble with the time difference when heading over to the US, but it always kills me coming back this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Ha, I had the opposite experience. But I did stay up for about two days partying it up before traveling back. That had to have played a significant role.
    I also have the opposite experience. Going to Europe I find I get adjusted in a day or two. Back to the states takes me a week. I wonder if it is an adrenelin thing? Excited to be going away etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  21. #231
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,875

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    We get back at 7pm and then have a wedding to go to at 1pm the next day. We're totally fucked, right?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  22. #232
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,892

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    We get back at 7pm and then have a wedding to go to at 1pm the next day. We're totally fucked, right?
    better 1 pm than a 7 pm wedding.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  23. #233
    Coachella Junkie chiapet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    20,739

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    My experience as been the same as sonofhal's - going to Europe is tough for me, I'm very tired the first day or two. Most times I just plan to sleep the first day, at least a several hours nap. I usually can't sleep much on planes, so I'm worthless by the time I land and get settled.

    The time change coming back is much easier for me. I try to book flights that bring me home early evening, so I can just go to bed when I get in and force myself to stay in bed until a proper hour in the morning. I press my vacations to the limits and come back the night before I have to return to work.

  24. #234
    old school bleep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,605

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    anyone who's familiar care to share their experience w/ China Airlines? i need to make a trip to Southeast Asia this December and their flights are coming up the cheapest. never flown on this airline before.

  25. #235
    Member JClemy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    Posts
    2,309

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I love coming to this thread. You totally need to post a thread for your trip Josh.

    I'm coming up to the end of my year here in Japan. I leave October 23rd to come back. I get to spend a day in San Fran on my way back so I'm pretty stoked. I've done a lot of the touristy stuff in SF so I think I'm just going to enjoy being back in a place where lots of people actually understand what I'm saying. I think we're going to hit the Zoo while we're there. Anyone recommend places to go?

    We leave Hokkaido at 7:50 am on Oct 23rd and we arrive in Tokyo at 9:25 am. We get most of the day in Tokyo since we don't leave till 4:05. I think we'll hit Akiba for one final trip of small weird and wonderful things of Japan. The nice thing is we leave at 4:05 from Tokyo on the 23rd and arrive at 9:20 am in SF on the 23rd. We get to spend the 23rd in Tokyo and SF. I'm sure we'll be tired but oh well. We leave SF on the 24th at 6:55 so we got some good time in SF and then we get back to Calgary ending our year away.

  26. #236
    Stage Manager captncrzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TBD
    Posts
    19,875

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    anyone who's familiar care to share their experience w/ China Airlines? i need to make a trip to Southeast Asia this December and their flights are coming up the cheapest. never flown on this airline before.
    I've never heard anything but check airlinequality.com for reviews and seatguru.com for seat maps and seat reviews.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

  27. #237
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I have only flown with them twice, but in my experience China Airlines is fine. They are pretty much comparable to any major airline. Nothing special, but nothing horrendous either. The only notable thing that I remember is that their flight attendants wore skin-tight uniforms.

  28. #238
    old school whynotsmile99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    LA, but I miss Ventura
    Posts
    5,304

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    anyone who's familiar care to share their experience w/ China Airlines? i need to make a trip to Southeast Asia this December and their flights are coming up the cheapest. never flown on this airline before.
    I've never flown on China Airlines personally, but asked my mom who is a travel agent. China Air (or Air China) is a good, safe and reliable airlines. If it's significantly cheaper go for it. Most of the major Asian airlines are amazing, far better than their American counterpart. I flew Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong and the flight was a blast, nearly comparable to the first class of nearly all of the American based airlines, only major difference being leg room. My friend flew to South Korea on a Korean Airlines and that too was exceptional. Singapore Airlines is very top end as well. So yea, grab up that China Airlines one.

    HOw much are you seeing flights for? Obviously if you can do it in Novembr or wait till January fares will be cheaper than December. With travel agent's mom help I was able to fly LAX>Hong Kong>Singapore with with minimal layover time for $850. My buddy spent around a grand but got screwed with an 11 hour layover in Korea. I left mid October, he left early November.

    Where are you going in Southeast Asia? I went two years ago for a few months to Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Laos. If it's your first time and you have any questions for my mom or me let me know.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

  29. #239
    Coachella Junkie PlayaDelWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Posts
    7,357

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    I've always been a fan of Cathay Pacific. They used to have an air pass for like $1,100 for unlimited travel to 25 asian cities for up to 21 days. Included the flight from LAX. Not sure if they still have it.

  30. #240
    Coachella Junkie faxman75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The murder capital where we murder for capital
    Posts
    27,915

    Default Re: The Travel Thread

    $1499 now and you can do up to 2 other flights to different cities once you are there in a week period.

Similar Threads

  1. Travel from England
    By joggs1 in forum Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
  2. Marrakech - Any travel tips?
    By sonofhal in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
  3. Best Airline/Travel Website?
    By RotationSlimWang in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 07:05 AM
  4. Travel from ontario???
    By ov3rdose in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •