Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Okkervil River

Default Re: Okkervil River

SMALL FLIPPER FIN??? How dare you? I have NO flipper fin at all. I have flipper fin envy.
    -----------------------

P.S. The demos are fucking amazing. So far, Plus Ones, John Allyn Smith Sails, andA Girl in Port are my three favorites. Anyone else get the demos yet? I can put them up on megaupload if needed...
    -----------------------

For those in Arizona, check this out: http://www.hotelcongress.com/club/?S...098ba2c9ef887f

Saturday September 01 - HoCo Festival 2007 - The Tucson Music and Film Festival-
    Tonight features a fantastic National stage featuring Okkervil River and The Bellrays as well as the highly anticipated Class 0'77 Showcase with Bob Meighan, Ned Sutton, Chuck Wagon and The wheels and many more !
    with Al Perry's All Star BBQ and Guitar Throwdown

There is so much great music tonight, and some very special performances that this will be a must not miss night for many of you.

SATURDAY DETAILS

We have three distinct and incredible shows for you -
    Starting at 5pm the Al Perry All Star BBQ features some of the best music that ever sidled up to a BBQ. (And if you've been to our Labor Day BBQ's before you know we aren't fooling around in the food department) The real treat, here though is the ALL Star Guitar Throwdown, where Al has invited some of the country's best guitar slingers to strap on a Telecaster and see what they're made of. He's keeping the line-up under wraps, but be assured this will be a phenomenal smackdown.

The early leader for most talked about showcase at the HoCoFest this year is the Class of '77 show. Bringing back the best from the wild and woolly 70's Tucson music scene, we have the Bob Meighan Band, Ned Sutton and The Rabbits, Chuck Wagon and The Wheels and some great surprises. This will be a hoot. This starts promptly at 9pm and will go to who knows when.

Hardly lost in all the Tucson nostalgia we offer a formidable line-up of National talent as well this evening. One of the hottest bands around right now Okkervil River headline, but have to follow perhaps the best rock band in America, The BellraysWe sometimes think Lisa could show Tina Turner a thing or two...

all this for $8!!!!!
    Jen, we're definitely going to this show at least!
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

So then its PHX on the 31st and Tucson on the 1st? Also, Naked Prey is playing this week if anyone knows what I'm talking about. For like 3 bucks too.

Mob, I'm not nearly sboer enough to look that band up[. Nakey Prey, huh? Gimme some feedback on them, por favor.
    -----------------------

They sort of sprung out of this. Also kind of loosely affiliated with that whole thing. They were very good at what they did and so three dollars is beyond a bargain, I can assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    They sort of sprung out of this. Also kind of loosely affiliated with that whole thing. They were very good at what they did and so three dollars is beyond a bargain, I can assure you.
    I can't decide if i want to talk shit to you or talk shit to myself for
    listening to you, I'm playing Rygar you fucker,,, Love ya Mob...
    -----------------------

a message from Will @ the totally revamped okkervilriver.com:

So, The Stage Names, our fourth full-length (depending on how you count 'em) and our follow-up to 2005’s Black Sheep Boy, is now in stores as well as available for order or download online. For us, it’s been a long wait for a record we’re very proud of. The album was recorded earlier in the year with Brian Beattie, our co-producer on Black Sheep Boy, and was released via our old friends at Jagjaguwar. Cover art, as in the past, was created by the inimitable William Schaff. It’s currently available on CD and vinyl (purchase of the vinyl version comes with a download coupon from the label) as well as in a limited-edition 2-CD set, with a second CD containing demo versions of all the songs on the record. Pitchfork posted a review of it two days ago calling it “Okkervil River's most emotionally devastating record yet, and without doubt one of the year's best.”

Also, I wanted to let you know that we've been prodded by the label to put some bonus tracks out there as well. If you go to iTunes, you can download "Shannon Wilsey on the Starry Stairs," my personal very favorite outtake from The Stage Names (with horns by members of Grupo Fantasma, Prince's sometime backing band!) and a song that very nearly made it to the record. It's kind of a sequel to "Savannah Smiles" and kind of a sister song to "John Allyn Smith Sails" and I am extremely happy with how it turned out. Also, on emusic you can get the song "Love to a Monster," a slightly older song of ours that was intended to be on The Stage Names but didn't make it on, though a rough demo version of it showed up on our Australian tour-support EP Overboard and Down. This new recording of "Love to a Monster," which was made for original inclusion on the new record, is the version of it I feel like the song deserved. Anyway, this stuff is out there if you want to track it down, and I'm really happy with it.

Oh, and if you can believe it, we're gonna be on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" on the 28th of this month, promoting the record. Weird.

It's a thrill to finally have this record out. I can't wait to see everybody at the end of this month when we go out on tour.
    also - i bought the album in a record store today for a friend (i preordered mine from the label), and it came with a pink cd in a paper sleeve that says "An Okkervil River Primer". has 7 or 8 songs from all of their different releases - an exceptional marketing idea, and a cool thing to get for free when you buy the album. not sure if these are limited numbers or anything, but i'd guess they are only doing it for a short time.
    Last edited by ewiggy; 08-10-2007 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    So then its PHX on the 31st and Tucson on the 1st? Also, Naked Prey is playing this week if anyone knows what I'm talking about. For like 3 bucks too.
    where?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    where?
    Some little dive bar in Tucson called The Hut. I've never been so I don't know. They've been booking the creme de la creme of the local music scene lately though. If that means anything.

oh. not playing up here?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Nope. I think's it's just a one-off for now. Maybe later. I don't know if they're reforming or just doing a little reunion tour or what. I think maybe they're just getting their feet wet, testing the waters for now.

the tracklisting for that primer CD is:

1. Westfall
    2. Red
    3. The War Criminal Rises and Speaks
    4. For Real
    5. Black
    6. No Key, No Plan
    7. O'Dana

It saddens me that i still haven't heard this album, and can't find a European release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I'm officially adding this band to my list of groups to check out. Along with Magnolia Electric Co. and other Molina projects. And about 4000 other things. Too much music exists.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I'm officially adding this band to my list of groups to check out. Along with Magnolia Electric Co. and other Molina projects. And about 4000 other things. Too much music exists.
    I know exactly what you mean. I normally do a Top 50 albums of the year. Last year it became 100. This year it's already passed the 100 mark with 5 months to go. (plus i'm still picking up stuff i missed from last year).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

chris - i believe it's already out over there. maybe you can order direct from jagjaguwar? i'd check but i'm in a hurry to get out of new mexico.

if you order via jagjaguwar you will get a coupon for a free digital download so you can hear it immediately.

godspeed.

Get the version with the demo's also. Fantastic stuff
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    the tracklisting for that primer CD is:

1. Westfall
    2. Red
    3. The War Criminal Rises and Speaks
    4. For Real
    5. Black
    6. No Key, No Plan
    7. O'Dana
    These are seven of my favorite songs. This comes with the cd? I need to purchase a hard copy of this this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    As long as it's official.

I listened to the new album for the first time yesterday. I had to replay "Plus Ones" three times in a row, it's a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    This comes with the cd? I need to purchase a hard copy of this this weekend.
    I'm not sure they're selling it everywhere. I was at Amoeba in LA today and they're definitely not selling the bonus cd there as part of a pack. Just fyi.

i would check your smaller, indie record store. amoeba probably had them but i'm sure it's not an unlimited supply.

also, i don't feel like bumping the thread but i'd like to raise my album rating of TSN from whatever i had before to a 9.5.

It will be my next purchase. (Well, technically the new Eisley is my next purchase, but I already pre-ordered that). Looks like Border's will get a visit from me tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I listened to the new album for the first time yesterday. I had to replay "Plus Ones" three times in a row, it's a great song.
    Complete agreement, Tommy, 'Plus Ones" is damn special as is the demo version.
    -----------------------

i would check your smaller, indie record store. amoeba probably had them but i'm sure it's not an unlimited supply.

also, i don't feel like bumping the thread but i'd like to raise my album rating of TSN from whatever i had before to a 9.5.
    ewiggy, I'd be very inclined to put this album at a 10, if judging based on the other releases of the year. Personally, I think this album is the best album I've heard all year. My expectations were exceptionally high, but this album has exceeded them. Following up Black Sheep Boy (and he Appendix) was difficult but they managed to do it well.
    -----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    ewiggy, I'd be very inclined to put this album at a 10, if judging based on the other releases of the year. Personally, I think this album is the best album I've heard all year. My expectations were exceptionally high, but this album has exceeded them. Following up Black Sheep Boy (and he Appendix) was difficult but they managed to do it well.
    i hear you, but it's got to work up to a 10 if at all. i don't think i've ever given anything a 10 before. 10 is perfect. so far, when i listen to TSN, i still generally skip Savannah Smiles and Title Track. not because they're bad - they're actually both pretty good - but just because usually i don't want to hear them.

a 10 would be a play-through record that is PERFECT in every way.

a 9.5 is as high as i feel comfortable going right now.

no 10 for bauhaus?

ahahahahaha

come on. you gotta have 10s in your life. srsly. let go. don't worry about the small shit. i have my 10s and yes if pressed I can point to flaws in all of them but fuck that. sometimes they're 10s despite the flaws. sometimes they're 10s because of the flaws.

i hear you, but it's got to work up to a 10 if at all. i don't think i've ever given anything a 10 before. 10 is perfect. so far, when i listen to TSN, i still generally skip Savannah Smiles and Title Track. not because they're bad - they're actually both pretty good - but just because usually i don't want to hear them.

a 10 would be a play-through record that is PERFECT in every way.

a 9.5 is as high as i feel comfortable going right now.
    Kristen, are you serious about this? That would make it album of the year. Do you think you'll feel the same way about it in six months? You ARE a pretty big fan. I mean, everyone knows I'm all about the Spoon and hyped their new record fairly incessantly, but even I can admit it's not as good as their last one. I'm not even sure it will be in my top 2 or 3. I will pick up Stage Names tomorrow and see for myself. But a 9.5? Really? You're getting into pretty dizzying heights there. Is it as good as Kid A, for example? Will kids name check it in ten years? Because that's the territory you're ascribing it to here.

Not hating. Just being cautious on your behalf.