Thread: 10 years of coachella- thank you Goldenvoice!!!

Lurker

Thumbs up 10 years of coachella- thank you Goldenvoice!!!

I've never posted before, and probably never will again, but for the past 10 years I've scoured the internet and this message board for rumors and posts from other coachella faithful and figured it was about time to say thanks. I hope someone from GV reads these things- I mean, you're involved in something for a decade and you begin to reflect on all your past experiences. When it comes to Coachella- these experiences have always been the best.

My first coachella was the first coachella- I was 19, high on anything I could get my hands on, and still trying to shake the weird vibes from the chaotic failure that was woodstock '99. I didn't even know at the time how epic 1999's lineup was. There was, what, 10,000 of us at most on the fields that year? No crowds really to speak of? I didn't know most of the acts on the poster, even though now anybody can look back and see what legends the majority of those names have become. It was easy to tell that the organizers really cared about good music, but also that there was no way they were recouping their losses from that concert. I got a real sense of just how few people were actually there when, in 2007, DJ Shadow asked "so how many people here saw me the first time in 99?" Maybe four in the crowd yelled (including me) and he said "Yeah right." Funny. So I was really happy way back when to see the coa-comeback in 2001.

That was a weird year. I remember the complete lack of trash cans (tripping over water bottles everywhere) and the dangerously long car ride back to L.A. after the one day madness (no coffee in any gas station for miles!) But the music was incredible, the crowd was amazing (and has been ever since), and I have been coachella-hooked ever since. Through all the girls/jobs/schools/homes/everything that changes in a decade, coachella has always been one of the best experiences every year.

2002 was my favorite. Coachella went back to 2 day and it all just came together. Beck did a surprise set with Z-trip, tenacious D came out with cake, queens of the stone age showed me how hard they could hit it, and it was the first time I saw prodigy, or bjork, or the crazy chemical brothers UFO of sound. 2007 is a close second- with the reunion of Rage against the machine, the raging campsite drum circle, and just an epic 3 day event. From the stooges, to prince/portishead, to radiohead/pixies, to sonic youth, to massive attack/tool, to depeche mode and nine inch nails and daft punk and roger waters etc. etc. etc. I've seen amazing music at this event every year, music acts that I never thought I would ever experience.

So now I'm 29- about to get married (kissed my fiance for the first time at coachella 2004)- and still super excited about the concert and scouring for rumors like I always have. Thank you goldenvoice- for organizing the greatest concert every year and exposing me to unbelievable music and experiences this whole decade. There's lineup critics ever year, but I'm sure 2009 will be amazing. I'll be at this one, and at every coachella in the next decade as well. And thank you- coachella crowd- for always being the most amped up, feel good, amazing concert audience I've ever seen. I'll see you out there.

Thank you!!!

Lurker

Default Re: 10 years of coachella- thank you Goldenvoice!!!

P.S.- and whoever found my 2005 poster in the bathroom with the huge signatures from Z-trip and DJ Krush- you're welcome ;P

My drunken mistake is your gain. It was still a kick-ass time.

i love reading this stuff. i can't wait for this year either.

best of luck with the marriage and all that
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

PLUR

:')
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

a rare post. thank you

Awesome post. *thumbs up*
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Terrific post!!! This is a phenomenal festival and this is a phenomenal message board. Yay for us!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

!

I hope I can say I've experienced 10 years of Coachella at some point in my life. You're a lucky guy to have been able to attend all of them. Thanks for the thoughtful post.
    '08,'09

great post.. you inspire us

repost...
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

It has been a great decade of Coachella,I wonder what I will be doing from May -nov. when I return to the message board for 2010 Coachella! Oh-actually I will have my first granchild this summer so that is something else to really get excited about and then the next Coachella! Thank you,Goldenvoice and thank you Heidi and Matt!

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Fantastic stuff. TOtally nails the experience.

My eyes totally watered up! My 1st coachella was when I was 19 too, that was in 2007 and I too have been hooked ever since! Congrats on getting married. And thanks for helping to explain how all of us coachella addicts feel about the exerience.
    w00t!

Coachella 07 08 09 and 10

This message board needs more posts like this. You have summed everything up so perfectly. Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by luckycortney View Post
    My eyes totally watered up! My 1st coachella was when I was 19 too, that was in 2007 and I too have been hooked ever since! Congrats on getting married. And thanks for helping to explain how all of us coachella addicts feel about the exerience.
    Its true, i know I am a coachella addict. I have been excited about coachella 09 since I had to pack up our campsite in 08.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycortney View Post
    i was 19 for my first one too...

woo.